Thread: Star: Pacers Look To Free Agency

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Star: Pacers Look To Free Agency

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../1088/SPORTS04

Instant gratification? Pacers call it free agency
    Team's draftee is years away, but some can help right away
    By Mike Wells
    mike.wells@indystar.com

The NBA draft came and went Thursday with only a minute sound coming from the Indiana Pacers.

Their lone draft pick, Croatian center Stanko Barac, won't help them get to the playoffs anytime soon because he is expected to remain in Europe for three years.

The Pacers' next attempt at improving starts Sunday when the free agency period begins. Contracts can be signed starting July 11.

The Pacers don't have enough cap space to sign an expensive free agent.

They have their midlevel exception, which is more than $5 million, and a $4 million trade exception acquired during the eight-player deal with Golden State.

"After the draft, everybody looks at their team and they say, 'I need this, I need that,' " Pacers president Larry Bird said. "Now it will start heating up and we'll see what we can do. I expect us to be very active to find the guys coach (Jim) O'Brien feels he needs for this team. (Former coach) Rick (Carlisle) played a different style. We tried to get his type of players. We have a new coach now, so we're going to try and get his style (of players)."

Finding an outside shooter, a backup point guard and settling Jermaine O'Neal's future are priorities.

The Pacers finished 30th in league in field goal percentage last season, leaving O'Neal constantly facing double teams.

They are interested in Kareem Rush, a career 35 percent 3-point shooter.

He worked out for the Pacers last week after playing in Europe last season.

Rush, who scored a career-high 35 points against the Pacers in November 2005, spent five seasons in the league before being released by Charlotte with nine games left in the 2005-06 season because of his work ethic.

The Bobcats released a statement at the time about Rush's release, saying: "The Bobcats are about two things -- hard work and maximum effort. With that in mind, we think that it is best to go in a different direction with Kareem."

Bird and O'Brien have said they want players who will practice and play hard. The Pacers likely won't have to spend a lot to sign Rush.

Another possibility is Jason Kapono of the Miami Heat. The unrestricted free agent led the league in 3-point shooting (51.4 percent) last season.
    Kapono only made $1.2 million, and there's a sense the Heat don't plan to
    get into a bidding war over a one-dimensional offensive player who doesn't defend well.

Earl Boykins, Steve Blake and Chucky Atkins are a few point guards that will be available. Veteran Tony Delk, who didn't play in the league last season, also worked out for the Pacers.

The team's biggest issue, however, is O'Neal's future.

The Pacers have had numerous discussions with teams, including the Los Angeles Lakers and New Jersey Nets, but no deal appears imminent. The Pacers are interested in acquiring Lamar Odom and Andrew Bynum from Los Angeles, but Lakers officials are reluctant to give away both for O'Neal.

"We're going to look this summer to maybe do something," Bird said. "If we get the right deal to make us better (we'll do it). If not, we'll come back with what we have."
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

Default Re: Star: Pacers Look To Free Agency

Blake or Atkins would make me happy. Especially Atkins, very underrated. No thanks to Boykins, though I do love watching 5'5 guys play at the NBA level.

I do not want Kapono.

He can't defend well at all and has no ability to play the two because of it.

atkins would be nice and i deff would take tony delk on this team. as for kareem rush maybe he can spread the floor for JO so he can't attract so many doubles~!
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Default A quote from Bird that is the last straw.

A quote from Bird that leads me to believe that he has no vision for our team. Check out the bolded quote from the Mike Wells article.

Bird wants to change coaches after 3 years thus altering the roster each time we bring in a new coach. How are we suppose to develope any team chemsitry if we have that type of turn over?

Why not bring in a coach that utilizes the talents of the players Bird feels can best complement each other?

I feel a loss of hope for the future of this team. As many problems as we have with our roster, as many holes that we need to address for the coming season, Bird selects a player that won't be here for at least 3 seasons.

How can that help us?

Changes need to be made & those changes need to start with Walsh & Bird.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../1088/SPORTS04

Instant gratification? Pacers call it free agency
    Team's draftee is years away, but some can help right away

By Mike Wells
    mike.wells@indystar.com

The NBA draft came and went Thursday with only a minute sound coming from the Indiana Pacers.

Their lone draft pick, Croatian center Stanko Barac, won't help them get to the playoffs anytime soon because he is expected to remain in Europe for three years.

The Pacers' next attempt at improving starts Sunday when the free agency period begins. Contracts can be signed starting July 11.

The Pacers don't have enough cap space to sign an expensive free agent. They have their midlevel exception, which is more than $5 million, and a $4 million trade exception acquired during the eight-player deal with Golden State.

"After the draft, everybody looks at their team and they say, 'I need this, I need that,' " Pacers president Larry Bird said. "Now it will start heating up and we'll see what we can do. I expect us to be very active to find the guys coach (Jim) O'Brien feels he needs for this team. (Former coach) Rick (Carlisle) played a different style. We tried to get his type of players. We have a new coach now, so we're going to try and get his style (of players)."
    Finding an outside shooter, a backup point guard and settling Jermaine O'Neal's future are priorities.

The Pacers finished 30th in league in field goal percentage last season, leaving O'Neal constantly facing double teams.

They are interested in Kareem Rush, a career 35 percent 3-point shooter. He worked out for the Pacers last week after playing in Europe last season. Rush, who scored a career-high 35 points against the Pacers in November 2005, spent five seasons in the league before being released by Charlotte with nine games left in the 2005-06 season because of his work ethic.

The Bobcats released a statement at the time about Rush's release, saying: "The Bobcats are about two things -- hard work and maximum effort. With that in mind, we think that it is best to go in a different direction with Kareem."

Bird and O'Brien have said they want players who will practice and play hard. The Pacers likely won't have to spend a lot to sign Rush.

Another possibility is Jason Kapono of the Miami Heat. The unrestricted free agent led the league in 3-point shooting (51.4 percent) last season.
    Kapono only made $1.2 million, and there's a sense the Heat don't plan to get into a bidding war over a one-dimensional offensive player who doesn't defend well.

Earl Boykins, Steve Blake and Chucky Atkins are a few point guards that will be available. Veteran Tony Delk, who didn't play in the league last season, also worked out for the Pacers.

The team's biggest issue, however, is O'Neal's future.

The Pacers have had numerous discussions with teams, including the Los Angeles Lakers and New Jersey Nets, but no deal appears imminent. The Pacers are interested in acquiring Lamar Odom and Andrew Bynum from Los Angeles, but Lakers officials are reluctant to give away both for O'Neal.

"We're going to look this summer to maybe do something," Bird said. "If we get the right deal to make us better (we'll do it). If not, we'll come back with what we have."

Default Re: A quote from Bird that is the last straw.

We should keep a coach and get players that fit under him.

However let me say this, IT needed to be gone and so did Rick. And I fear OB will too in a few years.

But Bird has this automatic 3 years and your out rule and that is just stupid.

Sorry Shade, I posted the same article in another thread. If the Admins want to combine the 2, I understand.

What happened to all the "We're not using our MLE" talk? Did I miss something where they switched stances on that?

Quote Originally Posted by tdubb03 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Blake or Atkins would make me happy. Especially Atkins, very underrated. No thanks to Boykins, though I do love watching 5'5 guys play at the NBA level.
    I'd love to get Blake, am "ehh" on Atkins, and second the NO THANKS on Boykins. Lost in all the "awww, look at the lil munchkin play in the NBA" talk is that he can't run an offense, has terrible court vision and takes a ton of horrible shots.

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    What happened to all the "We're not using our MLE" talk? Did I miss something where they switched stances on that?

I'd love to get Blake, am "ehh" on Atkins, and second the NO THANKS on Boykins. Lost in all the "awww, look at the lil munchkin play in the NBA" talk is that he can't run an offense, has terrible court vision and takes a ton of horrible shots.
    Yeah, Bird sorta switch sides on this one during the pre draft interview/press conference. The same interview where he said we will be getting a shooter, one of the best in the league, he sorta back tracked and said we would use the MLE if we came across a player we liked and one that could make us better

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    Yeah, Bird sorta switch sides on this one during the pre draft interview/press conference. The same interview where he said we will be getting a shooter, one of the best in the league, he sorta back tracked and said we would use the MLE if we came across a player we liked and one that could make us better
    Yeah but maybe it was the Simions that changed there mind? IDK.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

yeah, pwee31 is correct on bird waffling about the mle

i still think we won't be spending it, or will only be spending a small part of it. check pacers salary for '08-'09, it's not pretty. of course, if we do a salary dump, then the mle might come into play.

Bird is starting to sound like Artest, making statements and then backtracking on them time and again.

Default Re: A quote from Bird that is the last straw.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    A quote from Bird that leads me to believe that he has no vision for our team. Check out the bolded quote from the Mike Wells article.

Bird wants to change coaches after 3 years thus altering the roster each time we bring in a new coach. How are we suppose to develope any team chemsitry if we have that type of turn over?

Why not bring in a coach that utilizes the talents of the players Bird feels can best complement each other?

I feel a loss of hope for the future of this team. As many problems as we have with our roster, as many holes that we need to address for the coming season, Bird selects a player that won't be here for at least 3 seasons.

How can that help us?

Changes need to be made & those changes need to start with Walsh & Bird."

IDK, if we're going far in the playoffs and coming together really well chemistrywise, I think Bird will back off his stance of three and out.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How many over the hill veteran point guards do we need on this team?
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wouldn't mind picking up Steve Blake.
    "Just look at the flowers ...."

Mood

Bird has already proven it's not a hard stance. Rick was here 4 years.

So, what does everyone think about a team of:

Foster/Murphy/Harrison
    JO/Ike/Mystery PF
    Granger/Kapono/Williams
    Quis/Dun/Rush
    Tins/Blake/Army

Quote Originally Posted by Sh4d3 View Post
    So, what does everyone think about a team of:

Foster/Murphy/Harrison
    JO/Ike/Mystery PF
    Granger/Kapono/Williams
    Quis/Dun/Rush
    Tins/Blake/Army
    I wouldn't really like it to much.

Forget Kapono. We need a 2 guard. He has no ability to play the two at all. Sign Matt Carroll or Jarvis Hayes.

Secondly, Steve Blake is solid. But I almost rather have Chucky Atkins. He is a better shooter. Still I think that re-signing Keith McLeod is probably our best opition. A very nice solid point guard at a fair price.

The guy I really want us to sign as a backup point though is Jannero Pargo. He really stepped up his game for the Hornets this year.

Overall though that isn't a bad roster. We still wouldn't be much though unless we got a second scorer on this team ala Mike Bibby or someone of his calibar.

I like Delk. . .That guy is nyce, I think he played in Europe last year!!! Solid back Up to Tins IMO. . .I wouldn't mind Blake cause he can shoot the open Jumper

Do you guys remember how Atkins cried about how we were laughing at them that one year in the playoffs? We just dispatched the Celts..Artest had absolutely shut Pierce down, and I remember clear as a bell Atkins pouting in front of his locker, forecasting a beatdown for us by the Pistons the next round.....

Du'oh...we lost that Detroit series, didn't we?

We really have a glorious FA history...

Maceo Baston?
    Sarunus Jasekevicious?
    Anthony Johnson?
    Sam Perkins?
    Rickey Pierce?
    Eddie Johnson?
    Byron Scott?
    Haywoode Workman?
    etc, etc. etc.

Not that some of these players didn't play a nice role on the team, but I wouldn't expect much from this fluff article.

Quote Originally Posted by kybjones View Post
    We really have a glorious FA history...

Maceo Baston?
    Sarunus Jasekevicious?
    Anthony Johnson?
    Sam Perkins?
    Rickey Pierce?
    Eddie Johnson?
    Byron Scott?
    Haywoode Workman?
    etc, etc. etc.

Not that some of these players didn't play a nice role on the team, but I wouldn't expect much from this fluff article.
    In fairness to some of them, that's what the team needed at the time. What franchise (Other than the huge money markets) can boast a free agency list that looks like the hall of fame? And actually, half of those guys were key in our glory years, even though they themselves aren't glorious names. That's not as important as team chemistry, which is really what the Pacers have lacked for quite some time now. There are more player-for-player talented teams than the Spurs. But they blend perfectly together, and everyone (even Tim Duncan) buys into the system. The Pacers have spent the last few seasons (up until last year according to Foster) unable to hardly stand each other (or certain others in the locker room). Talent void of chemistry has a hard time making good things happen.
    Last edited by QuickRelease; 06-30-2007 at 06:45 PM.

For the 12,000,001 time I've said this on this forum in the last 2 years, I want Steve Blake on this team. Atkins wouldn't be bad to backup, but Blake can seriously run this team if Tinsley goes down, and even better he makes Tinsley more expendable. Tony Delk? That dude is garbage. I want no part of that.

I'd love to see us sign Blake with all, or part of the MLE, and then go after a 2 guard with the t.e.

This is way out there, but Carter just opted out. I wonder if we'd have anything other then J.O. that NJ would want in a sign, and trade in which we could use the t.e.?

Mood

So, sense I believe this is how it basically worked with Al, we can use our $4mm TE to acquire a FA through a sign and trade, right? I think that's true, but I wanted to double check.

If the Simons feel it's worth paying for it, that's pretty nice, actually. Almost like having a 2nd MLE.