Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can somebody confirm this

Default Re: Can somebody confirm this

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here's the blurb.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

Option Picked Up
    Jun 26 - Warriors guard Sarunas Jasikevicius picked up his $4 million option for next season, as expected, but it remains unlikely that Golden State will be the team issuing his paychecks.

"Sarunas has all the respect in the world for Nellie, but he wants to play," agent Doug Neustadt said. "If he's not a part of that rotation, then Golden State will probably make a move. But obviously, they've got to get something back that they want. At least that's what they told me." -- San Francisco Chronicle
    Under the who cares category here is another blurb.

http://www.benmaller.com/nba_rumors_notes

Warriors guard Sarunas Jasikevicius picked up his $4 million option for next season, as expected, but it remains unlikely that Golden State will be the team issuing his paychecks.
    Jasikevicius, who had until Sunday to guarantee the last year of the three-year, $12 million contract he signed with the Pacers in 2005, quickly disappeared from the Warriors' rotation after arriving from Indiana in January. Though the Lithuanian was pegged as the backup to Baron Davis, Jasikevicius struggled in coach Don Nelson's open-court system and was relegated to cheerleader status during Golden State's playoff games. Jasikevicius drew interest from several teams, including the Raptors, before the trade deadline, and his agent expects trade avenues to be explored again this summer.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    That link shows that nobody can come up with a scenario under the CBA where the Pacers get an exception.
    Since I have nothing better to do, here's the explanation again.

The following is an excerpt from Larry Coon's CBA FAQ, the bible for anyone who wants to understand the CBA (cbafaq.com). Pay attention to the bolded section, which explains how the Pacers got their trade exception. From Question 69:

Again, non-simultaneous trades are not available when a team trades away multiple players (aggregates). Let's say a team has a $4 million player and a $5 million player, and uses the Traded Player exception to trade for an $8 million player. Even though they trade away more salary ($9 million) than they receive ($8 million), the fact that they aggregated the two players means they do not gain a Traded Player exception. However, it is sometimes possible to reorganize these trades so that players technically are not aggregated. A good example of this occurred in 2004 when Houston traded Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley and Kelvin Cato to Orlando for Tracy McGrady, Juwan Howard, Tyronn Lue and Reece Gaines. As a single trade, it could only be simultaneous since multiple players were moving each way. However, Houston was able to reorganize the trade into three separate trades. In one trade, they acquired McGrady and Gaines for Mobley and Cato. In another trade, they acquired Howard and Lue using an existing Traded Player exception from their earlier Glen Rice trade. That left them trading Francis essentially by himself for nothing, which generated a new Traded Player exception in the amount of Francis' base year value. From Orlando's perspective, it was a single, simultaneous three-for-four trade.

Now, at the time of the trade, the Pacers had a trade exception from the Anthony Johnson to Dallas trade (see Question 70 in the FAQ for how they received that) of $2,740,000.

The Pacers reorganized the trade to best benefit them, as explained above, in this fashion.

Al Harrington, Stephen Jackson, and Josh Powell were traded for Troy Murphy, Mike Dunleavy, and Keith McLeod.

Ike Diogu was acquired using the trade exception from the Anthony Johnson trade (Diogu's $2,137,200 salary fit in).

Therefore, they essentially traded Sarunas Jasikevicius for nothing, just as Houston traded Francis for nothing, and created a trade exception for Jasikevicius' salary plus $100,000, or $4.1 million.

So that's how the Pacers have the exception, perfectly legal under the rules of the CBA.
    David Aldridge:

"Oh, and conspiracy theorists? The NBA's Final Four are Miami (#16 TV market), Indiana (#26), San Antonio (#36), Memphis (#49). #tinfoil"

UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bird wasn't high bidder when we got Saras.
    We out bid Cleveland, by a lot. Who else was in competetion? I don't remember.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Ok, THAT is stupid.

If you're not good enough to crack the rotation of a team that needs PG help, then opt out and go to a team that wants you.
    And sign for the vet's minimum? He can't afford that kind of paycut.

Actions speak louder than words. He wants the money much more than playing time. And for a guy that's a marginal talent - at best - in the NBA, that's a pretty smart decision, to the tune of $3 million or so - on his part.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    And sign for the vet's minimum? He can't afford that kind of paycut.

Actions speak louder than words. He wants the money much more than playing time. And for a guy that's a marginal talent - at best - in the NBA, that's a pretty smart decision, to the tune of $3 million or so - on his part.
    Oh, I agree. But if he thinks another team is going to trade for him, he's in trouble.

If money is most important (and obviously it is, to him), then he did the right thing.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I think its just a PR-ploy so that he's not viewed as a "just cashing the paycheck guy." I think he's content to make $4 million this year without breaking a sweat, and then if he wants to stay in the league and try to crack the rotation somewhere else next year, he'll do THAT for the vet's minimum.

What's the risk of him having a career-ending injury or an injury so significant that it costs him a vet's minimum contract next season? Pretty small, I think.

Oh, I agree. But if he thinks another team is going to trade for him, he's in trouble.

If money is most important (and obviously it is, to him), then he did the right thing.

Isn't it hard not to make the decision he did?

Imagine coming home to your wife and telling her that your employer is obligated to pay you a ridiculously high salary in the upcoming year. You argue that, while it ain't a half-bad gig, you feel you might be a little happier somewhere else. Oh, going somewhere else comes with a >80% pay cut.

I think she would tell you to "man up", and she will take care of making you happy enough.

Of course, the best case scenario is locking yourself into that crazy high salary, getting traded to a place where you are happier, and still keeping the smokin'-hot wife to make you even happier on the off days.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    We out bid Cleveland, by a lot. Who else was in competetion? I don't remember.
    Utah for one, Boston was interested also, but it came down to us, Utah, and Cleveland.

I just remember we were outbid, (don't remember who) but we had the best looking team at that time so he chose us.

Utah for one, Boston was interested also, but it came down to us, Utah, and Cleveland.

I just remember we were outbid, (don't remember who) but we had the best looking team at that time so he chose us.
    Updated: July 25, 2005, 12:40 AM ET

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Ford

ESPN Insider

Sarunas Jasikevicius, widely considered the top point guard in Europe, signed a three-year, 12 million deal with the Pacers, his agent Doug Neustadt told ESPN.com.

Jasikevicius also had offers from the Jazz and Cavs, but decided to take less money and fewer minutes to have a shot at an NBA title.
    "It really came down to who he could win a championship with next year," Neustadt told ESPN.com. "He saw a chance to contribute and win and couldn't pass it up."

Jasikevicius is a warrior :: with a great jumper, good size for the position and excellent court vision. Jasikevicius thrives in pressure situations and demands and shoots the ball late in games.
    However, no one pursued him harder than the Pacers. If anyone should be able to spot that, it should be Larry.
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    ESPN
    Last edited by Frank Slade; 06-26-2007 at 03:09 PM.

Why Not Us ?

I still think he can succeed somewhere if the leash is taken off.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Frank Slade, that was cruel, cruel, cruel.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    I still think he can succeed somewhere if the leash is taken off.
    You aware that Nellie's system is the least concrete and allows for complete independence by his players? Sarunas got his shot and failed. I'm sick of hearing about the dude's talent and how he can succeed elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    Frank Slade, that was cruel, cruel, cruel.
    Wasn't though ? I have censored the offensive material via the spoiler feature.

Why Not Us ?

Thanks for posting that Slade. Sometimes I forget how stupid Chad Ford can be.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    You aware that Nellie's system is the least concrete and allows for complete independence by his players? Sarunas got his shot and failed. I'm sick of hearing about the dude's talent and how he can succeed elsewhere.
    No offense, but that's how a lot us feel about the whole he-who-must-not-be-named that was shipped out with Saras feel.

He got his shot to clean up his offcourt problems, and to become a better teammate, and he failed. We're tired of hearing about the dude's talen and how we should have kept him no matter what.

The Jackson schtick is just as old and annoying as the Saras one. Just depends who you like/don't like.

If you're sick of hearing stop reading, you can always overlook, or ignore!

Runi's not better then Baron, or Monta, Jack, Barnes, or really any of Golden St. athletic guards, so I'm sick of the notion about he had the right system. Yeah it could've been the right system, but he wasn't better then the players in front him, that doesn't mean he can't succeed on another team!

He's better then any PG on the Pacers, even those in denial that are on Jamaal's sack should realize that
    Last edited by pwee31; 06-26-2007 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    No offense, but that's how a lot us feel about the whole he-who-must-not-be-named that was shipped out with Saras feel.

He got his shot to clean up his offcourt problems, and to become a better teammate, and he failed. We're tired of hearing about the dude's talen and how we should have kept him no matter what.

The Jackson schtick is just as old and annoying as the Saras one. Just depends who you like/don't like.
    I would venture to say that while Jackson was a bad teammate and had off the court problems, in isolated cases (such as when he was with SAS) he has enough talent to contribute to a winning franchise. Saranus? He just ain't good enough to do it, period.

We ain't talking about Jack. Stand in line if you want to attempt and bait me into a Jack-oriented conversation, but you'll need your parents to sign a permission slip for you to be worth my time.

As for the post above me (pwee31's), he had plenty of playing time. During his first few weeks as a Warrior, Nellie gave him a decent amount of run and was not impressed at all and voiced as such. Period.

You've totally missed the point. I don't want to bait you into a convo about Jack, I want you to stop talking about him all together. Just like you want them to stop talking about Saras.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

cranky today ladies?

Saras is a 3rd stringer on a team stacked with guards. He is a backup for:
    Clippers
    Lakers
    Portland
    Memphis
    Minnesota
    Atlanta
    Miami
    Pacers
    Cavs

Some others that I do not want to add. Jasi is a decent backup in limited minutes, but he is not worth 4 mil. Hell he is not worth 3 mil. I would rather have Tinsley than him. But that is not saying much.

I want you to stop talking about him all together.
    Why exactly would I adhere to that? He's still a big deal on PD, just look at the number of replies of the Warriors/Jack thread.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    I think I read this elsewhere too. It makes perfect sense and it just shows how insanely good the Atlanta trade was for us and how insanely bad the GS trade was.

I don't mean to harp on but had we stayed the course with Jack and Al we might have ended up with something along the lines of low 20s pick. That would have gone to Atlanta. Then, for the exception from the deal, a financially flexible Indiana Pacers organization could have picked up a pick like Phoenix's in the late to mid 20s. After that, we could have taken our sweet time to trade Al and Jack in the off-season. A Dunleavy and Ike for Al deal probably would have been there. Oh, the things that could have been...
    Thank the casual Pacer fan for the riding of Jack out town so quick!

People should not throw stones at glass houses!

Why exactly would I adhere to that? He's still a big deal on PD, just look at the number of replies of the Warriors/Jack thread.
    Then why tell us you're tired of hearing about Saras? They have enough right as you to talk about their favorite player.

Just showing you that you're feelings about reading topics on him are our feelings about reading topics about Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by DaSMASH View Post
    Thank the casual Pacer fan for the riding of Jack out town so quick!

People should not throw stones at glass houses!
    Management needs to decide...who is running this team, themselves or the fans?

Attendence sucked at the end of the year even with the GS trade, and rightfully so, because we were terrible. So don't go on using that "the fans buy the tickets and provide all of the revenue" garbage.

And a big **** you to any fan that ever boo's any member of the home team ever, regardless of what has transpired (I'll grant one exception to post-brawl Artest for ruining Reggie's chances of ever getting a title).

Getting rid of Jack was a longterm goal that should have been implemented this offseason, whereas I think sans Jackson and with a new coach that actually made an attempt to utilize him properly, Harrington might have worked out.

Then why tell us you're tired of hearing about Saras? They have enough right as you to talk about their favorite player.

Just showing you that you're feelings about reading topics on him are our feelings about reading topics about Jackson.
    I never said I was sick of hearing about Saras. I like Saras, but most of us are aware that his basketball skills simply have not translated well to the NBA level. Seeing statements that he can succeed elsewhere in the NBA are unfounded and unless anyone can provide some legitimate analysis to why, I ain't taking any of it seriously.
    Last edited by ajbry; 06-26-2007 at 04:44 PM.