Thread: Knicks reject top 10 pick?

Default Knicks reject top 10 pick?

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...r_top_10_pick/

June 25, 2007 - 10:21 pm
    New York Times -
    The New York Times reports that the Knicks rejected at least one offer to move up into the top 10 selections of Thursday's NBA draft.
    The deal apparently would have included David Lee and another key player, possibly Jamal Crawford. The team willing to trade its lottery pick is not named.
    Wonder who the team could have been?

Default Re: Knicks reject top 10 pick?

You're telling me there are people in this world who feel that the 3rd through 10th pick is worth David Lee and Jamal Crawford? Does proving you can actually do ANYTHING in this league mean nothing?

If it was 3, 4, or 5, they'd have said top-5. So it's 6-10.

I'm guessing Chicago.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

It would be interesting to see what Ike would get us.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hm...After looking through the teams that have a top 10 pick, I can't see any of them giving up their pick for Lee and Crawford. Maybe Minny, if they thought they would be getting the #5 later. It still doesn't make much sense though.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If it was 3, 4, or 5, they'd have said top-5. So it's 6-10.

I'm guessing Chicago.
    That was my first guess, but why would they want Crawford with Gordon and Hinrich? Maybe they don't think they'll be resigning Noc so they're trying to replace him with Lee?

Can't blame the Knicks.

Crawford is a good scoring guard and Lee has been an excellant young forward for them.

Mood

Char. they are under the cap... wouldn't have to trade back anything more than their pick...
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

Have to actually applaud Isiah some, for not being a complete idiot.

Does rise questions whom the other team was though. Only team that would sorta make sense to me is Charlotte. With Carroll a free agent, and not having many scoring options, I'm guess they would have brought in Crawford to play the 2 along side Felton. And since they were looking at Noah as that energy type beside Okafor, they could have seen David Lee as that type, and he's already shown he can play.

So I would guess the bobcats

Tadscout beat me to it!
    Last edited by pwee31; 06-26-2007 at 01:22 AM. Reason: tad beat me to it

1..2..3.. lil old blue sportsmusicxboxpacer's Avatar

Chicago i dont see anyone beside them
    IF YOU A PACER FAN DONT BASH TO THE PACERS..!!!!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...r_top_10_pick/

Wonder who the team could have been?
    That team would have to be under the cap by $9 million or with New York being over the cap there would have to be players involved as well to make the salaries match. Roughly 8-9 million in player salary going back to the Knicks.

You cant trade just draft picks for players when teams are over the cap because draft picks have no monetary value in a trade.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by naptown View Post
    That team would have to be under the cap by $9 million or with New York being over the cap there would have to be players involved as well to make the salaries match. Roughly 8-9 million in player salary going back to the Knicks.

You cant trade just draft picks for players when teams are over the cap because draft picks have no monetary value in a trade.
    Thus the bobcats...

Are the Bulls under the cap? I know they were last year before they signed Big Ben, but I'm not sure about their situation now.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by HeartlandFan View Post
    Are the Bulls under the cap? I know they were last year before they signed Big Ben, but I'm not sure about their situation now.
    Yes the Bulls are another team far enough under the cap for that deal.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by naptown View Post
    Yes the Bulls are another team far enough under the cap for that deal.
    Umm only if their FAs are considered off the books already (even then that's about 9 mil added on and I think that's even to much for them for next year)...

I'm not sure how that works, if the FA's salary are already taken off, or if it's not till July 12th...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tadscout View Post
    Umm only if their FAs are considered off the books already (even then that's about 9 mil added on and I think that's even to much for them for next year)...

I'm not sure how that works, if the FA's salary are already taken off, or if it's not till July 12th...
    The Bulls should be at roughly $43 million once the expiring contracts are off the books because I certainly do not see them giving Sweetney a qualifying offer.

Regardless, I would not give up Lee for anything outside the top 3 or 4 pics.

I don't think it's the Bulls ..... or do they really want Crawford back?

It probably is Charlotte, who don't have a starting caliber SG in their current lineup.
    Maceo Baston's #1 fan on Pacers Digest!

I think it is the Bulls actually. Then they wouldn't feel as bad about trading their other guys (Gordon, Nocioni, maybe even Deng) for Kobe or KG (or in a three-way trade to acquire them).

The amount of value some of yall have for draft picks is astounding. You really think having a Number 7 pick in the draft is better than having two proven NBA starters---one of which is on his rookie deal still and the other who is signed for two more years at a very, very reasonable salary?

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    The amount of value some of yall have for draft picks is astounding. You really think having a Number 7 pick in the draft is better than having two proven NBA starters---one of which is on his rookie deal still and the other who is signed for two more years at a very, very reasonable salary?
    Actually, Crawford and Lee only started a combined 48 games last year, and those were due to injuries.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Actually, Crawford and Lee only started a combined 48 games last year, and those were due to injuries.
    Just because Zeke wouldn't start Lee over Frye for God knows why doesn't mean he isn't a starter. He's starter quality.

Jamal was their "closer". He played most all of their significant minutes in the 4th and was essentially a "Manu" type for them off the bench. He should have started for them and would start for a lot of teams.

Atlanta. Who else would want Crawford. Bulls already had him and that didn't work the first time and there's only one ball. Atlanta needs scorers and someone who can rebound because the guys they have don't rebound.
    Two=the number 2
    Too=means "also"
    To=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (two, too) do not apply.

Their=shows ownership-'it is their house'
    They're=they are
    There=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (their, they're) do not apply

Sorry but it bugs me when these are used incorrectly when I read posts on PacersDigest.com.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    Have to actually applaud Isiah some, for not being a complete idiot.

Does rise questions whom the other team was though. Only team that would sorta make sense to me is Charlotte. With Carroll a free agent, and not having many scoring options, I'm guess they would have brought in Crawford to play the 2 along side Felton. And since they were looking at Noah as that energy type beside Okafor, they could have seen David Lee as that type, and he's already shown he can play.

So I would guess the bobcats

Tadscout beat me to it!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMac View Post
    Atlanta. Who else would want Crawford. Bulls already had him and that didn't work the first time and there's only one ball. Atlanta needs scorers and someone who can rebound because the guys they have don't rebound.
    they would have said top 5 for atlanta (as they have #3 and #11) charlotte makes the most sense. sacramento, maybe if they're moving bibby could slide crawford at the point (not that i would recommend such) since they have martin at the SG. milwaukee could be interested in lee if they're less than enthusiastic about charlie's 3minutes and 36seconds of injury-free basketball last season.

...or its just the knicks floating a rumor to the press to drive up the price on another deal... who knows?
    This is the darkest timeline.

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HeartlandFan View Post
    That was my first guess, but why would they want Crawford with Gordon and Hinrich? Maybe they don't think they'll be resigning Noc so they're trying to replace him with Lee?
    If they wanted Crawford and Lee, maybe it's a sign they were planning to ship out Gordon and Nocioni.

The whole "they would have said "top 5 pick" thing assumes the media knows the team. If they knew the team, they would have said the team's name. The fact that they said the pick # means they weren't told the team. RealGM isn't in the business of knowing info and not telling it. Thus it could be any team in the top 10 and all the info they were given was "top 10 pick" rather than "team X".