Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A short question about Troy Murphy

Default Re: A short question about Troy Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    not always.

and that's the problem with murphy. he's not well-rounded enough that you could stick him in just any situation. with the right fit he could be a useful contributor on offense while being a minimum detriment on defense. on the other hand, he could end up warming the bench like cro despite being a "good" player.
    couldn't agree more. That's where i think the problem is. not well-rounded enough and can't be effective in any situation.

Banned

Maybe I'm just reading this all out of context... but are we purposely being hostile towards AndrewBynum17?

oh i see where you are coming from. He didn't fit into Nelly's system and that is why he was traded. You are right to that sense. he is a situational type player though.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewBynum17 View Post
    oh i see where you are coming from. He didn't fit into Nelly's system and that is why he was traded. You are right to that sense. he is a situational type player though.

Although there's mention of that in my linked threads, my point was more that Murph over time, received a reputation for just padding stats. If we want to have any success (ECF, NBA finals) he is not the kind of guy you want starting or playing a large role. Add in the fact that he has the worst contract on the team, and you have a player that is anything but a fan favorite. My .02

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Some people on the forum (Peck and Jose, especially) think I'm too hard on Murphy, that he's a worthwhile player and we shouldn't worry about his salary. Here's the thing. I don't care what we pay him... it's not my problem. I DO care, though, that we've got 10mil/year wrapped up for the next 5 years in a guy with negative trade value.

Here's how you tell if a guy has a negative trade value. Pick a team in the league, any team. Imagine that they have an expiring contract for exactly the same amount as Troy's contract. Would they trade him for that amount and a future second-round pick?

Find me a team in the league that would take Troy Murphy if we gave him away.
    What the hell?????

Have I even said anything to you about Murphy? I might have I just don't remember.

Look there are two things about Murphy that I will say.

1. He is a lot more soft than I had hoped for.

2. He is just the opposite version of Jeff Foster but gets paid more.

However unlike you, I guess, I just don't give a rats @ss about Murphy's salary.

You wanna talk overpaid come see me about Jermaine O'Neal then after we discuss his max contract with his 19/9 and whatever blocks he ended up with a game production then we can go talk about Murphy.

Is he overpaid? Probably. I'll just throw this in there for you though.

Can you go back and re-explain to me why we couldn't have paid Brad Miller his salary but were willing to do so with Murphy?

Oh never mind.

Again, truely I just don't care about what they make other than when someone explains to me why we can't make a trade because of it.

But seriously, have I said something to you about Murphy?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

I think Murphy leads the league in getting his shots blocked. If not overall then perhaps BPM (blocked per minute)?

Quote Originally Posted by kerosene View Post
    I think Murphy leads the league in getting his shots blocked. If not overall then perhaps BPM (blocked per minute)?
    I'm not kidding when I say this nor am I trying to be cute (well I couldn't even if I tried) but I read somewhere (I don't know where it may be from the mag that only Bball and I subscribe to ) that J.O. led the league in having his shot blocked.

No, serious.

I don't know if it is right or not but I remember seeing that somewhere.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

I seem to recall that also Peck. Well, maybe Murphy is number only #2 but we could still nickname him "White Blocklate"

Here's the Troy Murphy as a Warrior story straight from a Warrior fan.

Murphy was definitely a fan favorite his first two years in the league with the Warriors. He made good plays. Seemed pretty mobile for a guy his size and seemed like he had a good feel for the game. Dunked on Dale Davis and stared at him. Fans loved him.

Then the Warriors' management (as has happened a lot) deluded themselves into thinking that Murphy might be another Brad Miller (Miller when he was at the top of his game, anways).

They bulked him up after his rookie year. They had him try to play inside. It worked reasonably well his 2nd year (which I still think was his best year in the NBA). The summer before his 3rd year, they decided that he was never going to be much of an inside scorer, so they had him practice 3s the whole summer.

Seemed like a good idea, but that was when his injuries started creeping in. Plantar fascitas (sp?) limited him to something like 26 games in his 3rd year. He came back towards the end of the year. Immediately, it became obvious that he had a lost a lot of mobility and lift.

Immediately following, Mullin dishes out a $58M deal to a player who just came off a season in which he played only 26 games. He got totally abused by Dan Fegan at the table. Big mistake.

Murphy comes back the following season and lays one huge stinkbomb. Despite averaging a double/double, he shoots 41% from the field (that's 41% from the starting PF). He gets his shot blocked by players big and small. He gets booed and this is when fans start to realize that he's gotten complacent, lazy and slothlike. We also began to notice that he was an extremely poor finisher inside. He wasn't very clever around the basket. He'd always use the same shooting motion and release point whether he was 10 feet or 2 feet away from the basket. This (plus his loss of mobility and lift) made it very easy for defenders big and small to anticipate when to block his shot. He got roofed quite often to put it kindly.

The year after that he played a little bit better. Better shooting %, slightly better defense. He got off to a BLAZING start, but it became obvious that he started wearing down as the season progressed. That's when it became clear to everyone that Murphy had neither the stamina or athleticism to be a starting PF. Physically, he just became very below average by NBA standards and he didn't have enough of a basketball game to compensate for it.

The next year, Nellie came aboard and everyone from RealGM to Marc Stein figured this was exactly what Murphy needed. Nellie recognized the lack of athleticism on the part of Murphy and Dunleavy. He figured the only way to get something out of them was to play each at center and powerforward in hopes of gaining a quickness advantage. Opening night: We get blown out by a Laker team that was played w/o Kobe. Murphleavy looked horrible. Nellie totally scraps the plan after 1 game.

He tries different combos with Murphy starting at C, starting at PF and coming off the bench. Finally, Nellie's had it; he straight up tells Mullin "I can't win with these guys." Mullin tried all summer long to peddle Murphy for Harrington to no avail (Hawks wanted no part of Murphy's contract). He still wanted to do the deal into the season, but the Pacers probably wanted Ike involved as well as a swap of Dunleavy for Jackson. Mullin was very reluctant to do this, but Nellie came as close as you could to saying "Make this trade or I'm quitting" without actually making that ultimatum. Then the trade.

That's kind of the Troy Murphy story in GS.
    Last edited by d_c; 06-26-2007 at 05:26 AM.

Thanks for the recap d c.

You forgot to mention that he missed almost a month early in the season last year with an achilles injury.

If you've ever had any kind of achilles injury, you know they heal VERY VERY slowly.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that a combination of lingering injury and the new system under Carlisle made him extra crappy. A summer or rest and a system that suits him might make him useful. I'm not saying he might be worth his contract, but he can be a decent player.

I also wouldn't get too hung up on negative trade value. Lots of guys have negative trade value. Jackson did. Tinsley does. Same for Kenyon Martin, Ron Artest, Marbury, Francis, Q-Rich, Jerome James, Antoine Walker, Raef LaFrentz, Zach Randolph, Speedy Calxton, Larry Hughes, Nazr Muhammed, Adonyl Foyle, rash Nesterovic, Vladimir Radmanovic, Bobby Simmons, Dan Gadzuric, Peja, Darious Miles... the list goes on and many of these guys make significantly more than Murph.

dc, I think you gave the rest of the forum some great history on Troy in the past. I think I joined in with you. I've followed the guy for years. He's IS a gamer, but he's been jacked around so much, it's no wonder the guy gets dissed. People don't stop to think of his history.

I am confident Troy will be a solid player for us next year and all the guy needs is to be injury free and stop having coaching staffs turn him into what they feel they need rather than play to his strengths. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm a Troy Murphy fan.

The comparision was made about who was the best player in the Murphy/Diogu/Dunleavy group. I maintain it's Troy.....if he's given a clear role and allowed to work on his game. (I refer you to past history.) I don't have a problem with his salary. I refer you to PT's post.

Tom, to paraphrase you, there's no such thing as negative trade value. There is ALWAYS a team that will want a particular player, if he fits into their system. Salary will tend to balance out, taken as a whole for any given team, for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    Thanks for the recap d c.

You forgot to mention that he missed almost a month early in the season last year with an achilles injury.

If you've ever had any kind of achilles injury, you know they heal VERY VERY slowly.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that a combination of lingering injury and the new system under Carlisle made him extra crappy. A summer or rest and a system that suits him might make him useful. I'm not saying he might be worth his contract, but he can be a decent player.

I also wouldn't get too hung up on negative trade value. Lots of guys have negative trade value. Jackson did. Tinsley does. Same for Kenyon Martin, Ron Artest, Marbury, Francis, Q-Rich, Jerome James, Antoine Walker, Raef LaFrentz, Zach Randolph, Speedy Calxton, Larry Hughes, Nazr Muhammed, Adonyl Foyle, rash Nesterovic, Vladimir Radmanovic, Bobby Simmons, Dan Gadzuric, Peja, Darious Miles... the list goes on and many of these guys make significantly more than Murph.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I'm not kidding when I say this nor am I trying to be cute (well I couldn't even if I tried) but I read somewhere (I don't know where it may be from the mag that only Bball and I subscribe to ) that J.O. led the league in having his shot blocked.

No, serious.

I don't know if it is right or not but I remember seeing that somewhere.
    Yes, JO did lead the league in having his shot blocked a few seasons back and he is always near the top of the league. Reason is because his shoulders, waist, and legs are so thin that defenders can get right up into him. He doesn't have a low center of gravity. That is why short players like Charles Barkley and LJ were great low post players, they had wide shoulder, a big butt, big waist - defneders couldn't get close to them - so it was difficult to block their shots

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewBynum17 View Post
    but now that i think about it, Diogu does have major potential, more than murphy i think, so i'm not sure murphy should be kept.
    And now you're getting to the crux of the problem.

There's nobody in the league that would want him, unless we threw in something more valuable.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    What the hell?????

Have I even said anything to you about Murphy? I might have I just don't remember.

. . .

Again, truely I just don't care about what they make other than when someone explains to me why we can't make a trade because of it.

But seriously, have I said something to you about Murphy?
    I thought so. If not, my bad.

But your "other than" is exactly my point. We've got 10mil/year locked up in a player that's not tradable.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

There's nobody in the league that would want him, unless we threw in something more valuable.
    i.e., he is a "negative trade asset"

So was Dunleavy from the GState perspective, and Jack from ours.

That trade was:
    GS giving up -, -, + (Troy, Dun, Ike)

Indy giving up -, + (Jack, Al).
    And Jack's "negativity" to us was significantly worse for us (PR reasons) than for GS. That's why most consider us to have gotten jobbed so bad---we took on two objectively negative players (contracts) to get rid of one more subjectively negative player (PR, but also contract).

The rest of the trade with any significance, Al for Ike, is up for debate and we won't know for a few years if that was "brilliant," "dumb," or "whatever"

Aww, come on now. How many times are we going to bite at the "he has potential" bit. I'd personally like a known quantity and tweak him into the player he could be (The Larry Brown approach), rather than fall into the "He has more potential" trap. Ladies and Gentleman, I present Stromile Swift.

Nobody in the league would want him? Isn't that not a teensiest bit of hyperbole. I feel like you have totally ignored everything written about Troy, especially what dc wrote, and you are basing your opinion totally on one season as a Pacer.

I repeat, come on now!

Nobody would want him? It's all about needs and team fits. Frex, Houston has been DYING for a PF for years now. (I read Clutchfans BBS, too.) and if you don't think just from a fan perspective, they didn't talk about how Troy's game could benefit their team, you'd be wrong.

Matter of fact, Look at Houston's roster. Look at how backed up they are at PG, and SG. They have Methusela at backup C. Now THERE is a team who would be interested in Troy. He could play some C, start at PF, space the floor for Yao...

But yeah, with all the stiffs pluggin dead weight at PF on rosters, NO ONE would want Troy.

I repeat....come on now.

It's all relative.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    i.e., he is a "negative trade asset"
    Right. And now we're right back where we've started, except that we still haven't answered the question.

If we went to every team in the league, one at a time, and asked "What would you give us for Troy Murphy?" would we get anything back that we'd like?

Enjoy your time at PD!

Why would any team wanting to win a championship start Troy at PF? Especially with his atrocious contract. I don't see how people have faith in Murphy still. He hasn't done anything in the past 3 years and he did nothing for us last year. Just because his first two years in the league were promising doesn't mean he's magically going to be that player again.

Right. And now we're right back where we've started, except that we still haven't answered the question.

If we went to every team in the league, one at a time, and asked "What would you give us for Troy Murphy?" would we get anything back that we'd like?
    I dunno. I could use some Mickey D's right now. Think Houston would give up a quarter pounder?

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There is a time and place for a guy like Murphy. Its too bad about his contract but I'm getting tired of seeing a player get totally bashed because of his contact. Its not the player's fault he's getting overpaid. Its management's fault.

Murphy can start at center for a lottery team. He can start at PF for a playoff team. He can be the first big off the bench for a playoff team making a deep playoff run. None of that is changed by his salary. However, his salary makes him difficult to trade.

I do think we'll see a better version of Troy Murphy (a) with a full training camp under his belt - he's a system player and a mid-season trade, after playing in Nellie's system where he didn't fit in, was a difficult situation for him, and (b) Jim O'Brien's system is well-suited to Murphy and I think they both know it.

In fact, I think Murphy will be a better C in O'Brien's system than Bynum...

Murphy can probably get back to being a 14-8 player (I don't see him as a double-digit rebounder in the EC), and while he'd still be overpaid, getting 14 and 8 from your starting C is better than getting 5 and 8, like you get from Foster.

Overpaid? Yes. A productive player? He can be. Negative trade value? Negative trade value sometimes means something different - he's worth more to your team (in my profession, we call that the value of an asset in-place) than anybody elses (in other words, value of the asset in-exchange.)

And unlike problem children like Artest and SJax, there is no compelling need to dump him for the best available offer. He's not causing any problems for the team. His salary is irrelevant to everyone but the Simons. Its not like we're going to get under the cap with or without him, so there is never going to be "flexibility."
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I guess it depends on how much you like the sound of laughter.

Or coffee. Usually when you stop by someone's office for a meeting they offer you coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    I guess it depends on how much you like the sound of laughter.

Or coffee. Usually when you stop by someone's office for a meeting they offer you coffee.
    Well that settles it. We'll trade Murphy some coffee.

----

[LB walks into Ainge's office]

LB: Hey, buddy, how ya been? How's the wife, the kids? They good?

Ainge: Oh, they're great. Everything's just great. Sit down, would ya Larry. And would you like some--

Bird [seizing the moment]: WHATWOULDYOUGIVEMEFORTROYMURPHY?

Ainge: --coffee?

Bird: DONE! Toss in Ratliff if you gotta make the salaries work. Great doing business with ya, Danny. I'm off to Europe. -leaves-

You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Sports Logo

So, are you complaining that Murphy is overpaid ( something that we are likely be stuck with for a long time no matter how much we think that hate it ) and that we can't move him cuz he is overpaid?

or

Are you "subtlely" complaining about TPTB ( the only Front Office stupid enough to take on "said" contract ) for accepting it in the first place and sticking us with an overpaid contract ( that is very difficult to move ) for a Jumpshooting PF that can hit the occasional 3pt shot, occasionally pull down a rebound while playing very little defense?

My short answer to your thread is that there are very little teams that would take on Troy Murphy without giving us an equally bad contract. So that brings up the valid question....would you trade Troy Murphy for 2 or 3 equally bad contracts? or would you keep him since we will likely get back an equally bad player?
    Last edited by CableKC; 06-26-2007 at 12:03 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I don't like Murphy that much, but we got a new coach and new system, It has to work or we're screwed LOL