Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A short question about Troy Murphy

Default A short question about Troy Murphy

Some people on the forum (Peck and Jose, especially) think I'm too hard on Murphy, that he's a worthwhile player and we shouldn't worry about his salary. Here's the thing. I don't care what we pay him... it's not my problem. I DO care, though, that we've got 10mil/year wrapped up for the next 5 years in a guy with negative trade value.

Here's how you tell if a guy has a negative trade value. Pick a team in the league, any team. Imagine that they have an expiring contract for exactly the same amount as Troy's contract. Would they trade him for that amount and a future second-round pick?

Find me a team in the league that would take Troy Murphy if we gave him away.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Default Re: A short question about Troy Murphy

Well, sometimes you can pawn players off on where they went to school, like Fred Jones in Portland. So then, that would be, us.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

My main problem with Troy is that he ain't good.

His salary annoys me but essentially every team has an albatross contract that hinders their cap maneuverability.

He does have negative trade value.

I will say the system the pacers will be playing next season will fit Murphy perfectly. A defense that is based upon team system with a lot of help and an offense that encourages three point shooting and random offense.

So if Troy isn't effective next season, then he'll never be effective.

If his salary was about half of what it is and if he were the second guy off the bench (where he doesn't have to guard the starting power forward) then I think Murph can be effective. He certainly isn't a trouble maker, nor a selfish player - I can learn to live with him if he's used correctly. He showed last season at times that he could drive to the basket in somewhat open court situations

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He does have negative trade value.

I will say the system the pacers will be playing next season will fit Murphy perfectly. A defense that is based upon team system with a lot of help and an offense that encourages three point shooting and random offense.

So if Troy isn't effective next season, then he'll never be effective.
    I hadn't really thought about it, but assuming he is healthy, the statement regarding his effectiveness is very accurate.

If Murphy is not part of a trade this summer, it is EXTREMELY important to the Pacers that he return to his former statistical self. Namely a 14/10 or better player.

That may open up options to the Pacers. We may then be able to package him in a trade or decide that his productivity is worth keeping on our roster.

I'm from the bay area and seen murphy play several times. He's a good player, I do think his salary is a little higher than his value though. The thing that I don't really like about him is his shooting, he doesn't shoot too well and his fg% is low for a big man.

He is a good rebounder and can hit the three. Not much else. But a good rebounder is always a good thing to have. I think his ideal role is like a Udonis Haslem.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewBynum17 View Post
    He is a good rebounder and can hit the three. Not much else. But a good rebounder is always a good thing to have. I think his ideal role is like a Udonis Haslem.

Since when did Haslem sit on the perimeter and jack up threes? If I remember correctly, Haslem is a solid defender too. The same can't be said about Troy

Quote Originally Posted by HeartlandFan View Post
    Since when did Haslem sit on the perimeter and jack up threes? If I remember correctly, Haslem is a solid defender too. The same can't be said about Troy
    yeah ur right more accurate, Haslem with more scoring and less d.

yeah ur right more accurate, Haslem with more scoring and less d.
    So, basically, nothing like Haslem.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I'd like the Golden state trade a lot more if Murphy weren't included. I feel about Murphy the same way I feel about Jeff if he weren't paid five milllion more and defense didn't win championships.

Murphy might be one of the worst contracts in the NBA. Not the worst plkayer but contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian View Post
    I'd like the Golden state trade a lot more if Murphy weren't included. I feel about Murphy the same way I feel about Jeff if he weren't paid five milllion more and defense didn't win championships.

Murphy might be one of the worst contracts in the NBA. Not the worst plkayer but contracts.
    he was the best player given to the pacers. Dunleavy is better???
    I think the problem was that he was put at center. I never understood that. He is a PF, not a center. If we get Bynum, Murphy can go back to playing the PF.

I think the problem was that he was put at center. I never understood that. He is a PF, not a center. If we get Bynum, Murphy can go back to playing the PF.
    Yes, Dunleavy is better than Murphy and his contract isn't as bad.

But I'd happily trade them both for ending contracts, given the opportunity.

Enjoy your time at PD!

He was the highest paid player we got back. Are you trying to make us feel worse about the trade?

Wow, lets step back for a second and reconsider this comment.

Let's say that Dunleavy, Diogu, and Murphy all had the same exact contract (murphy's contract). If you absolutely had to choose one player to play on your team, who would you take? Murphy would be my last choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian View Post
    He was the highest paid player we got back. Are you trying to make us feel worse about the trade?
    no i am from the bay area so that is why I say that, the way I see it murphy was better atleast when he was here on the warriors. dunleavy took a lot of heat here from the fans, he was very inconsistent. But he was the #3 pick so maybe he has a better opportunity in Indy I guess and is showing his true worth.
    But murphy was a fan favorite and played a lot better than dunleavy did. That's why I'm not too familiar with this murphy criticism. He has played a lot of Center in Indy from the what i have seen and heard. That's where i think the problem is, he was a PF most of his time in GS.

no i am from the bay area so that is why I say that, the way I see it murphy was better atleast when he was here on the warriors. dunleavy took a lot of heat here from the fans, he was very inconsistent. But he was the #3 pick so maybe he has a better opportunity in Indy I guess and is showing his true worth.
    But murphy was a fan favorite and played a lot better than dunleavy did. That's why I'm not too familiar with this murphy criticism. He has played a lot of Center in Indy from the what i have seen and heard. That's where i think the problem is, he was a PF most of his time in GS.
    I'm not even familiar with the Warriors, but from reading GS forums back before he was even traded, all I ever saw was Dunleavy/Murphy bashing. I don't remember one person, excluding you, that claimed Murphy was a fan favorite. He seemed to be the complete opposite. Most fans claimed he was lazy and picked up a lot of his rebounds and buckets when they meant the least. From what I have seen so far, that has been proven true.

If you have two players, and one of them is an expiring contract, there is a much more likely chance you'd rather have the expiring contract than the other player. You'd have to really like the other player to take him instead.

I'm not even familiar with the Warriors, but from reading GS forums back before he was even traded, all I ever saw was Dunleavy/Murphy bashing. I don't remember one person, excluding you, that claimed Murphy was a fan favorite. He seemed to be the complete opposite. Most fans claimed he was lazy and picked up a lot of his rebounds and buckets when they meant the least. From what I have seen so far, that has been proven true.
    Do you have any links? Ok i am prolly exaggerating with the fan favorite thing, but he WAS appreciated by the fans. And definitely a lot more than Dunleavy. There might've been bashing from a few fans on Murphy, but there were Far More people bashing dunleavy than murphy. Infact until B-Diddy led the team to that playoff run, and before the blockbuster trade, the ONLY two players that fans here had mostly good things to say about were J-Rich and Murphy, and with Davis it was always complaining about his injury problems (until of course now).

but i'm not gonna argue about his salary being high. You are right on that account it is higher than it should be. He is a solid player though I think he just needs to be moved back to the PF.

Do you have any links? Ok i am prolly exaggerating with the fan favorite thing, but he WAS appreciated by the fans. And definitely a lot more than Dunleavy. There might've been bashing from a few fans on Murphy, but there were Far More people bashing dunleavy than murphy. Infact until B-Diddy led the team to that playoff run, and before the blockbuster trade, the ONLY two players that fans here had mostly good things to say about were J-Rich and Murphy, and with Davis it was always complaining about his injury problems (until of course now).
    Sigh.....

I'm not going to argue with you about it because I know what I read. No I don't have links because this was several years ago after Murph got his big contract. Fans were disappointed he wasn't living up to the money he was receiving. Before the big GS/Indiana trade went down, Warrior fans were constantly harping on the idea that the main goal was to get rid of both Dunleavy and Murphy because they were killing their cap situation.

I'm not going to argue with you about it because I know what I read. No I don't have links because this was several years ago after Murph got his big contract. Fans were disappointed he wasn't living up to the money he was receiving. Before the big GS/Indiana trade went down, Warrior fans were constantly harping on the idea that the main goal was to get rid of both Dunleavy and Murphy because they were killing their cap situation.
    you maybe right if you mean 3-4 years ago. I know one season he was injured for a long time. But he came back from the injury and was a great player for a few seasons. I even remember him being on the all star ballot a couple years back and at a warrior game i went to where either it was lebron or dwade in town, they were encouraging people to vote for him on the screen. But i didn't hear many people wanting murphy out this past season. Maybe i am wrong, but my point is don't think he can't contribute and be an effective player.
    Last edited by AndrewBynum17; 06-26-2007 at 01:36 AM.

but now that i think about it, Diogu does have major potential, more than murphy i think, so i'm not sure murphy should be kept.

IF the blockbuster trade with bynum and odom goes down i see the lineup by midseason as:

Odom or Granger
    Diogu
    Bynum
    Dunleavy
    Tinsley
    Last edited by AndrewBynum17; 06-26-2007 at 01:42 AM.

1..2..3.. lil old blue sportsmusicxboxpacer's Avatar

tony is the3 shooter of pacers as of right now i dont like it bec he need to rebounds more geez they said (PTB ) he an 10 -10 guy ha i wait and see this coming season if not trade him for some other player who worth a damn.
    IF YOU A PACER FAN DONT BASH TO THE PACERS..!!!!!

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    If you have two players, and one of them is an expiring contract, there is a much more likely chance you'd rather have the expiring contract than the other player. You'd have to really like the other player to take him instead.
    not always.

this is true if the players in question are average players, i.e. easily replaceable. if the player were any good, as in useful building block good, then you'd probably want to lock him up for the long term.

(edit: i guess that's what you meant by really liking the player)

and that's the problem with murphy. he's not well-rounded enough that you could stick him in just any situation. with the right fit he could be a useful contributor on offense while being a minimum detriment on defense. on the other hand, he could end up warming the bench like cro despite being a "good" player.

at this point, the pacers imo are trying to figure out who the major pieces are. a hard-to-fit piece like murphy (specialized skills, big contract) just gets in the way.