Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Lakers/Minnesota/Pacers/possible 4th team in talks

streets ahead

Default Re: Lakers/Minnesota/Pacers/possible 4th team in talks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Makes sense to me as well. It's a decent bit of value for JO.

I'm not sure I like our roster afterwards, though. Our frontcourt would be somewhat iffy (I'm not a big believer in Ike). Plus we'd have a lot of pretty bad contracts, meaning it would be kind of hard to dig our way out.

Foster - Harrison
    Murphy - Ike - Baston
    Granger - Shawne - Dunleavy
    Wally - Greene - Quis
    West - McLeod - Greene

And we'd have the #5.

I'm not sure it's a step up, but it's interesting.
    well i don't think its necessarily a step back, which is important for TPTB obviously. i see this deal as about the same as the laker deals...

odom = wally ... same length of contract about the same value, wally shoots 3s and lamar is a playmaker
    bynum + 19 = west + green + 5 ... we get two prospects in our hurting backcourt instead of one for our not all that impressive frontcourt.
    ratliff = mckie ... ratliff is bigger but mckie will be paid for by the lakers

what we decide is just to fix our backcourt instead of the frontcourt.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I can only imagine what type of lineup we would have. We would have an endless rotation of SG/SF. Hmm...small ball for the next 2 season....sounds like fun.
    obviously wally isn't ideal, but just like odom, his exp. will be valuable to us to either give us cap room when ike, danny and green are up to for being re-signed or we trade his exp for something else.

if we get bynum our backcourt is going to be hurting. if we get green and west our front court is going to be lacking. pick your poison. either way we get $$$ room and players that could help and/or hopefully develop into better players. this way we actually get people who can shoot too.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I like that deal for several reasons. We immediately have a fresh look at PG. West is very young and very solid. We get young talent with the #5 pick and Green. We get an excellent shooter with Wally. There are major financial incentives as well. We get cap relief with Ratliff. Wally also comes off the books just in time to re-sign Granger and Ike. That is HUGE cap relief. We might even get lucky and see Horford drop to #5.
    Maybe we could make a push for West, #5, and Jefferson for JO Tinsley and/maybe???. I'd rather have this then the lakers deal personally. We'd get a good young center, the #5 and a good solid young pg we'd be set for a while. Boston would have to listen, they are so itching to win now and get a new star, they would have to at least consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    if we get bynum our backcourt is going to be hurting. if we get green and west our front court is going to be lacking. pick your poison. either way we get $$$ room and players that could help and/or hopefully develop into better players. this way we actually get people who can shoot too.
    I actually like my last deal ok... it's not a wonder cure, but it has some really nice points to it. We'd have a ton of financial flexibility, we'd have really interesting young players at 4 (Ike), 3 (Danny and Shawne), 2 (Gerald Green), and 1 (Delonte West). We'd have a #5 pick, to do with as we pleased. We'd also still have a mess with way too many small forwards and no adequate center, but we're there anyway.

Like I said, it's interesting.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBaby31 View Post
    Maybe we could make a push for West, #5, and Jefferson for JO Tinsley and/maybe???. I'd rather have this then the lakers deal personally. We'd get a good young center, the #5 and a good solid young pg we'd be set for a while. Boston would have to listen, they are so itching to win now and get a new star, they would have to at least consider it.
    They're not dealing Jefferson.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    UncleBuck has lost him mind.

Show me once when KG has defended somebody in the paint. He's a fine perimeter defender, but he's got nothing on JO in terms of owning the paint, protecting the rim, etc.
    Apart from the "lost his mind" part I mildly agree. I think more of KG in the paint than that, but IMO the difference between JO and KG is purely on the offensive end. KG is a better shooter and has stronger handles, by a pretty fair margin. At the other end I'll take my chances with JO just as quickly as with KG.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    That is why I love Donnie Walsh
    I agree 100%. What's there to say, your biz is your biz. Chumps play in the press IMO, that's agent kind of crap there.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 06-25-2007 at 10:45 PM.

streets ahead

If we're doing a deal with Boston, and we're getting back Wally/Ratliff/Greene/West/#5, then we'd actually be ok to include Murphy instead of Tinsley. Which I'd be fine with. Or we could include both, and they throw in Scalabrine and the #32.

Our contract situation would be a TON better, and we wouldn't be much worse as a team.
    I actually like my last deal ok... it's not a wonder cure, but it has some really nice points to it. We'd have a ton of financial flexibility, we'd have really interesting young players at 4 (Ike), 3 (Danny and Shawne), 2 (Gerald Green), and 1 (Delonte West). We'd have a #5 pick, to do with as we pleased. We'd also still have a mess with way too many small forwards and no adequate center, but we're there anyway.

Like I said, it's interesting.
    tinsley they have an interest in because a veteran PG would be more valuable than murphy when they'd already have jefferson, o'neal and perkins as their bigs and gomes and powe developing in the 4 slot. murphy won't interest them. sure i'd like to include murphy but it wouldn't interest them.

tinsley they have an interest in because a veteran PG would be more valuable than murphy when they'd already have jefferson, o'neal and perkins as their bigs and gomes and powe developing in the 4 slot. murphy won't interest them. sure i'd like to include murphy but it wouldn't interest them.
    I hear you. But the JO/Tins trade isn't enough of a "win" to get me really interested. It gives the team a new look, which is nice. But it's not really a better team, and we wouldn't have much left in the way of tradable assets.

EDIT: I'm telling you, if we don't get rid of Murphy this summer then he's ours for the duration. Austin Croshere part two.
    Last edited by Anthem; 06-25-2007 at 11:02 PM.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post

Detlef called, he's revoked your Pacers fan license.
    So I'm big, big liar and have a giant man-crush on Andrew Bynum.

Ron/Brad was clearly better too. We can debate Jalen, Mark, JO, and maybe even Mully too if you wanna call me out completely. Jeez, some people and their "facts" just can't help but throwing around actual historic "information." This is the Internet, buddy, get with the program.
    Last edited by JayRedd; 06-25-2007 at 11:23 PM.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

odom = wally ... same length of contract about the same value, wally shoots 3s and lamar is a playmaker
    I kind of lost concentration after seeing this.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    i meant in terms of what they each would provide the pacers... cap room but an offensive ability beyond kwame or theo. i didn't mean they literally were the same - just in what they provide the pacers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    Obviously Odom's the better player and the more valuable one if we're moving him after acquiring him. But neither is going to win us a championship... they're just biding their time until their contracts expire. And they have identical contracts.

Enjoy your time at PD!

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Chicago?
    That's not funny.

Anyone listening to Fox Sports Radio? George Sodano says Indy gets the most complete value if they get Odom and Bynum in the 4 team trade.

I don't get it that if Minny wants young players and expirings they don't take on the best expiring player they can get in JO, who can opt out next year (which if he is traded to Minny will probably do to join Isiah in NY).

That way Minny can still bolster up a pretty decent lineup without some dead weight like Ratliff.
    Maceo Baston's #1 fan on Pacers Digest!

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

A resoution soon???

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...ck=7&cset=true

Lakers in trade talks to get Garnett
    They continue talks with Minnesota over a deal that could include Odom and Bynum. A four-team trade is dismissed by Boston.
    By Mike Bresnahan and Mark Heisler, Times Staff Writers
    June 26, 2007

Trade talks continued Monday between the Minnesota Timberwolves and the Lakers after a four-team proposal that would have sent All-Star forward Kevin Garnett to the Lakers collapsed.

Minnesota owner Glen Taylor was expected to be in the Timberwolves' offices this morning before departing for a honeymoon in China. His appearance at team headquarters suggested a quick resolution on the Lakers' proposal, which includes forward Lamar Odom and center Andrew Bynum.

However, sources said that Kevin McHale, the Timberwolves' vice president of basketball operations, wasn't keen on the Lakers' offer.
    Another topsy-turvy day — a phrase used often to describe daily happenings during the Lakers' off-season — began Monday with prospects of a four-team trade and ended with the Lakers and Timberwolves still having the same rosters.

Taylor and Lakers owner Jerry Buss began the groundwork for trade talks with a 20-minute chat on Friday. That conversation expanded Monday into discussions about a deal involving the Lakers, Minnesota, Indiana and Boston, in which the Lakers would have received Garnett. However, the deal broke down, reportedly because the Celtics didn't like what they would have gotten, ending the four-way negotiations.

The Lakers are now back to direct talks with the Timberwolves. Although the 19-year-old Bynum would satisfy one need, the fact that the Lakers have the 19th pick in Thursday's draft isn't high enough for the Timberwolves' tastes.

In another scenario, the Lakers could include center Kwame Brown in the deal and also acquire Troy Hudson or Marko Jaric to address a need for a ballhandling guard while lifting an unfavorable contract off the Timberwolves' books.

Lakers officials declined to comment Monday.

Acquiring Garnett could address the concerns of Kobe Bryant, who demanded to be traded four weeks ago.

Bryant met with Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak for about an hour on Friday, a day after Garnett rejected a trade that would have sent him to Boston.

Bryant did not step down from his desire to be traded at that meeting, although Kupchak, Buss and Lakers Coach Phil Jackson met later that day to discuss options based on the assumption they would still have Bryant, The Times has learned.

Garnett, 31, has never formally asked for a trade while signaling his distress in recent years as the Timberwolves fell from top-notch status. The No. 1-seeded team in the Western Conference in 2004, they lost to the Lakers in the conference finals and haven't made the playoffs since then.

The Timberwolves finished 33-49 in 2005-06 and 32-50 last season, tied for 12th in the West with Portland.

Garnett can opt out of his contract after next season. He wants an extension, which Buss reportedly told Taylor he was willing to offer. Garnett is due to earn $22 million next season and $23 million in 2008-09, the last year of his contract.

Garnett, a 10-time All-Star and the 2004 league most valuable player, averaged 22.4 points, 12.8 rebounds, 4.1 assists and 1.7 blocked shots last season while showing few signs of slowing down, other than spending the last five games of the season in Los Angeles — he has a home in Malibu — to rest a sore right quadriceps.

Bynum, 19, started his second NBA season with a flurry, including a memorable game against Minnesota in which he had 20 points, 14 rebounds and three blocked shots last November.

But Bynum struggled during the second half of the season and finished with averages of 7.8 points and 5.9 rebounds a game. The Lakers have been criticized by Bryant for not trading Bynum at the February trade deadline in order to get Jason Kidd from New Jersey.

Odom, 27, was acquired three years ago as part of the trade that sent Shaquille O'Neal to Miami.

He averaged 15.9 points, 9.8 rebounds and 4.8 assists last season and sat out 26 games because of knee and shoulder injuries. He had a torn labrum in his left shoulder repaired last month and is expected to return in time for training camp in October.

Hudson, 31, has three years and $18.9 million left on his contract. He averaged 5.9 points and 2.1 assists in 34 games in an injury-marred season. He recently requested a trade.

Jaric, 28, has four years and $27.4 million left on his contract. The former Clippers guard averaged 5.3 points and 2.1 assists in 70 games last season.

He has been a disappointment since signing a six-year contract as a free agent two years ago, although his 6-foot-7 body would be a plus for Jackson, who favors taller guards in the triangle offense. Hudson is listed at 6 feet 1 and is more of a push-the-pace type.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mike.bresnahan@latimes.com

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

In a prolly totally unrelated note...I heard on Sports radio last evening (950 or 1260????) that Bird was scheduled to meet with the press today. Not a big deal just a routine pre-draft meeting.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Can someone please post content of the 6/25 blog entry on Indy Star's Pacers Insider entitled "What to do with O'Neal?" It's blocked at work. As a sidenote, the Boston, LA, and Minn papers are all covering this proposed trade in today's editions. The Star is only covering it through a reporter's blog, and I'm not even sure what it says.

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider

Quote Originally Posted by RSmits View Post
    Can someone please post content of the 6/25 blog entry on Indy Star's Pacers Insider entitled "What to do with O'Neal?" It's blocked at work. As a sidenote, the Boston, LA, and Minn papers are all covering this proposed trade in today's editions. The Star is only covering it through a reporter's blog, and I'm not even sure what it says.

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider

What to do with O'Neal

Posted by Mike Wells

It’s no secret that the Pacers and all-star forward Jermaine O’Neal are trying to end their seven-year relationship. O’Neal has held back no punches in saying he doesn’t want to be part of a rebuilding project.

Now it’s a matter of finding a team that wants to acquire him and has enough to give back in return.

That’s been easier said than done. As coach Jim O’Brien said last week “the odds are against the fact that Jermaine will be traded. It’s just reality.”

First it was the Lakers reportedly saying they didn’t want to give up Lamar Odom and Andrew Bynum for O’Neal. Now it’s the Boston Celtics reportedly saying thanks, but no thanks to taking O’Neal.

The latest scenario came Monday when the Celtics supposedly pulled out of the four-team deal that also featured the Lakers and Timberwolves because they are reluctant to give up Al Jefferson.

Teaming O’Neal with Paul Pierce, Jefferson and the rest of the Celtics young players makes Boston a playoff team in the East.

But there’s one significant question: Would O’Neal want to play for the Celtics? Or I should ask: Do the Celtics want O’Neal?

Celtics executive director of basketball operations Danny Ainge has never been a big fan of O’Neal’s, according to the Boston Globe. Ainge and O’Neal exchanged words through the media in the first round of the 2005 playoffs when the Pacers beat Boston in seven games.

Ainge told O’Neal to stop “crying” about the Celtics’ physical play. The Pacers forward responded by saying: “He needs to do his job in the front office and let the players play the game. He's not out there playing the game. If the tables were turned the other way, then he would have been complaining about it, too...He needs to shut his mouth and do what a GM does and a president does, and that's run a team."

Just like Timberwolves forward Kevin Garnett, O’Neal can opt out of his contract at the end of next season, which could easily cause teams to shy away from making a deal with the Pacers, if he doesn’t like the team he’s traded to.

Should the Pacers continue to try to trade O’Neal or should they keep him on the roster?
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Thanks. And here's the full article from the Boston Globe. I agree, I don't think the Celts want O'Neal, or O'Neal wants the Celts, or the Pacers want O'Neal on the Celts:

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketb...cs_a_mismatch/

O'Neal, Celtics a mismatch
    Past ire makes rumors unlikely
    By Shira Springer, Globe Staff | June 26, 2007

There are ongoing discussions concerning a four-team trade that could send Pacers forward/center Jermaine O'Neal to the Celtics, according to league sources. But those same sources said that it is extremely unlikely that O'Neal will ever play in a Boston uniform. Celtics executive director of basketball operations Danny Ainge has never been a big fan of O'Neal's, and there remains the not-so-small matter of O'Neal being able to opt out of his contract after next season.

During the 2005 playoffs, Ainge and O'Neal exchanged words through the media during the first-round series between the Celtics and Pacers. After Ainge criticized O'Neal for "crying" when he complained about the Celtics' physical play, O'Neal told Ainge to "shut his mouth and do what he does, and that's run the team."

That would seem to make such a trade unlikely.

But the teams involved in the talks -- Boston, Indiana, Minnesota, and the Lakers -- and the players and picks involved are worth noting because they could reappear in reconstituted trades. The Celtics could revisit a deal with Phoenix, among other teams.

With less than three days until the draft, teams are hustling and compromising in an effort to come to terms on trades.

If the four teams involved agreed to the deal as discussed yesterday, the Celtics would send Theo Ratliff, Gerald Green, Sebastian Telfair, and the No. 5 pick to the Timberwolves and receive just O'Neal in return. Kevin Garnett would go from Minnesota to the Lakers. The Timberwolves would receive big man Kwame Brown and the No. 19 pick from the Lakers. The Pacers would take Lakers forward Lamar Odom and young Lakers center Andrew Bynum to complete the transaction.

But if the ill will between O'Neal and Boston did not present enough of a stumbling block, Minnesota vice president of basketball operations Kevin McHale was prepared to add another. According to league sources, McHale doesn't want to do the deal unless Al Jefferson is included in the package sent to the Timberwolves.

The Celtics have been working the phones to trade the No. 5 pick since receiving it in the draft lottery May 22. But Ainge has been extremely reluctant to part with Jefferson, according to team and league sources. The Celtics would like to add an All-Star veteran to the roster without jeopardizing the future as personified by Jefferson. Before O'Neal's name surfaced, Garnett was rumored to be that player. But late last week, Garnett's agent, Andy Miller, made it clear the Minnesota forward was not coming to Boston.

The Celtics still have time to do a deal before the draft, but the big questions are whether they can find players willing to come to Boston and whether they can stomach giving up young talent along with the No. 5 pick. Considering how long they have tried to move the pick (in a package with players), it would not be surprising to see them use that selection in Thursday's draft.

In yet another plot twist, the Charlotte Bobcats, who have the No. 8 selection, were told that Jeff Green would not be working out for them. That led to speculation that Green has a deal in place with a team picking ahead of Charlotte; why else would agent David Falk steer Green away from his longtime bud, Michael Jordan? But Green is due to work out today for Phoenix, which, at last check, did not have a pick ahead of Charlotte.

The Suns, who have picks Nos. 24 and 29, also are bringing in Joakim Noah and Corey Brewer to join Green, meaning there has to be a deal in place, given that no agent would allow a client to work out this late unless the team had a chance to make a selection. Thus, the Suns must have something cooking with one of a few teams -- the Celtics possibly being one of them -- to move up to the 5-7 slot.

Peter May of the Globe staff contributed to this report.

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, looks like JO will be a Pacer next year and that the coaching change will be the only change this offseason. We should have taken AB, Kwame, Framar and the 19, but it is too late now with KG likely headed to LA.

The reports that Ainge doesn't like JO because of a few comments made in the playoffs three seasons ago seem awfully petty to me. I don't care if Ainge doesn't like JO, but please have a legitimate reason.

Phoenix working out those guys sounds a lot like Diaw, Banks, and/or Marion may be going out.

The reports that Ainge doesn't like JO because of a few comments made in the playoffs three seasons ago seem awfully petty to me. I don't care if Ainge doesn't like JO, but please have a legitimate reason.
    Pretty sloppy writing by Wells all around I thought

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wells
    Itís no secret that the Pacers and all-star forward Jermaine OíNeal are trying to end their seven-year relationship. OíNeal has held back no punches in saying he doesnít want to be part of a rebuilding project.
    Not sure what he means by "held back no punches". Seems like either an exaggeration or just an improper use of a cliche'. Kobe has pulled no punches. AI pulled no punches. Vince Carter pulled no punches.

From what I've seen, JO has simply answered a few reporters' questions in a mild mannered tone over the last year saying essentially, "We're gonna talk about things this summer."

Yes, that's pretty weak. I have a hard time believing someone could be successful being so thin-skinned. But then, we are talking about Ainge.

Wojnarowski is reporting that Pierce will demand a trade if Boston doesn't trade for veteran help this week. I seem to remember that Paul and JO are friends, so one would hope that would trump Ainge's personal feelings.

Here's the link: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

That said, I do understand them not wanting to give up Jefferson if they're only getting JO in return.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Wojnarowski is reporting that Pierce will demand a trade if Boston doesn't trade for veteran help this week.
    AWESOME.

Let's see just how many players more desirable than JO we can get on the market. Maybe we drive his trade value down low enough so that all we can get back is Ron Artest.

From Boston's point of view only, doesn't it make more sense just to cut the Pacers out of it altogether, and make it a 3 way deal instead of involving us?

1.Lakers trade Odom, Bynum, Brown, and 19 to Boston
    2.Boston trades Ratliff, Telfair, Green, 5 this year and 2009 first rounder of Minnesota's back to the Wolves
    3. Minnesota sends Garnett to Los Angeles

Wouldnt a deal like this make more sense for Boston? They would keep Jefferson, Pierce, Rondo, and add Bynum, Odom, Kwame's expiring deal, and stay in the draft and get a good player at 19.

Maybe Minnesota does that deal, or something similar, even though it doesnt include Jefferson. They get their 2009 first rounder back (which they gave up in the Wally trade a few years ago), get Green ( a promising young perimeter player), Telfair (probably a project but who knows how he will turn out), all sorts of cap room for next years free agents, and a chance to get a great top player at pick 5.

LA maybe has to sweeten the deal with either a future pick or 2nd rounder this season, I dont know. maybe Minnesota makes LA take on another bad contract like Marko Jeric.

Regardless, I don't see why these teams wouldn't just cut the Pacers out of it all together. I'm sorry to say that for those who want the Pacers to start rebuilding now, but that's how I see it.