Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A look at Nene

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Re: A look at Nene

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Most of you are really wrong about Nene and within two years from now you'll look foolish. I want Nene - I think he'll be worth his contract - I hope we get him.

Having said that I want some guard help also, so we may have to do a three team trade.

But I think nene is worth going after - no doubt in my mind about that. (I wish Andre Miller was still on the Nuggets, or even Earl Watson - then I think we could deal JO and JT for Miller and Nene - that would be a great trade.
    Lock it up for future review.

Again, I like Nene. No he may not ever be statistically as good as JO but I think he can benefit us in some ways. Toughness, rebounding, team player.

Paired with Ike and/or Foster that's a tough, rebounding 4/5 rotation. Trade Camby along with one of our SF prospects for some strong G help. Or trade them separately. Whatever works.

From a comparative standpoint, if the Denver and LA scenarios were both available, it would all depend on Odom for me. The LA deal with both Bynum and Odom is the best. Take Odom out of any other LA equation and I say the Denver one is better. Speaking of other LA permutations, they don't have a PG on their roster that really interests me.

In the case of any trade(s) that might happen, I think we have to be seriously looking at one of Dunleavy, Williams, and Granger being moved to strengthen our backcourt.

Here's an article about the Denver/Pacers trade talk

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_22432.shtml

I like Nene too (aside from his injuries), but a Nene/Camby deal is just stupid. And the Nugs don't have enough to put alongside Nene, I don't think. Though I might be unaware of some of their assets.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

I'm a fan of Nene, the only way he doesn't become a borderline allstar in the next few seasons is injury. One concern is that he has expressed a desire to play international basketball during the offseason, which could lead to him getting injured or tired.

the only way he doesn't become a borderline allstar in the next few seasons is injury
    So trade a perennial allstar for that ?

IF he stays healthy, he MIGHT become a "borderline" allstar.

no thanks.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post

no thanks.
    Sorry Able, but do you expect JO to keep playing at an allstar for more then 2 years?
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

JO would not have been a perennial all-star in the West (Duncan, Nowitsky, Amare, KG and Yao are locks that may be it), and give me 18 ppg on 55% or whatever shooting over 21 ppg and 43% shooting any day of the week. Would you rather have a guy go 9-16 or go 10-23?

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

PT alludes to it......

Nene's numbers are put up against teams from the west.....
    JO's from the east.

Although.......JO doesn't have "Melo and Ivy to make the defense play honest.

Hmmmm

????????????
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Many of you are over valuing JO.

http://test.denverpost.com/sports/ci_6214446

Hawking for a Camby trade
    By Mark Kiszla
    Denver Post Staff Columnist
    Article Last Updated: 06/24/2007 01:07:31 AM MDT

"You think?" said an NBA executive, when asked if the league has buzzed with so much talk of blockbuster trades.

And the Nuggets are open for business.

Teams are actively trying to pry big men Nene and Marcus Camby away from Denver, according to NBA sources.

Nene, who averaged 15 points and nearly eight rebounds per game against San Antonio in the playoffs, is not going anywhere.

But the Nuggets are patiently, calmly waiting for a trade partner to make an offer they cannot refuse for Camby.

Why would Denver consider trading Camby, whose rebounding and shot-blocking ability made him the defensive player of the year?

At age 33, Camby will likely never have the trade value he does now.

Moving the $8.8 million salary of Camby could trim a payroll that seems bloated for a team eliminated in the opening round of the postseason.

But, more important to the Nuggets than the money is the knowledge that with ballyhooed rookies Greg Oden and Kevin Durant soon to be shopping for homes in either Portland or Seattle, the Western Conference is not going to get any easier to win anytime soon.

Should Denver be able to move Camby for strong, younger legs, the Nuggets believe they will be in the running with 23-year-old Carmelo Anthony and 24-year-old Nene for many seasons to come, long after veteran point guard Allen Iverson makes his last wicked crossover dribble.

While there is no shortage of teams interested in Camby, one that could have what it takes to land him might surprise you.

Atlanta, which finished with a weak 30-52 record, owns two of the top 11 picks in the upcoming NBA draft.

With Atlanta general manager Billy Knight on a hot seat that will cool only by increasing his number of victories, the Hawks have an eye on Camby, dangling 6-foot-11 Zaza Pachulia as trade bait.

Deal or no deal?

There are two ways Atlanta could give Denver something serious to consider.

Marvin Williams, the second overall pick in the 2005 draft, could replace Pachulia in trade talks.

Should 6-foot-11 Joakim Noah, the motor and the mouth that revved Florida to consecutive national titles, unexpectedly drop to No. 11 in the first round, Atlanta could offer Denver a young defensive presence in return for Camby.

The crazy imbalance of power in the league between East and West has made for the hottest chatter in recent memory regarding superstars changing basketball addresses.

Kobe Bryant wants out, while the Lakers search for one big reason to persuade him to love L.A. again.

After years in which Kevin Garnett demonstrated unbelievable patience and loyalty to the bone-chilling, endless winters of frustration in Minnesota, Timberwolves ownership has ordered the veteran be put on the trading block.

The league's most fun team to watch is apparently not all fun and games behind the scenes, so the Phoenix Suns seem willing to swap Shawn Marion, and might be tempted to move Amare Stoudemire, if they can obtain Garnett in return.

As Larry Bird again is asked to give some sense of purpose to the directionless Indiana Pacers, you begin to understand who is pushing Jermaine O'Neal toward the door.

General managers itching for a fight with the Spurs in the wild, wild West are desperate for more ammunition just to stay one step ahead of a pack of talented teams.

In suffering NBA towns of the rust belt back East, aggressive executives figure one big deal could land them the spot in the Finals recently awarded to Cleveland by default.

While Denver seems to be making progress on a deal with forward Eduardo Najera that could keep him around for years to come, financial haggling now makes it far from certain point guard Steve Blake will be back with the Nuggets next season.

And know this: In recent months, the Pacers explored a trade with O'Neal and Camby as the principles, but the deal went nowhere because the hefty $18 million salary for O'Neal would have burdened the Nuggets with more luxury tax than even a billionaire owner in Denver could justify as a legitimate business expense.

With his health issues and big contract, forward Kenyon Martin is untouchable, because no league rival would dare trade for him.

So where do the Nuggets stand amid all this trade turmoil?

Open for business.

Despite as much star power as can be found in their locker room, the Nuggets cannot stand pat and expect to win a championship.

The deal is: Denver must find a way to get better, and seldom have so many NBA teams been so willing to talk trade.

Staff writer Mark Kiszla can be reached at 303-954-1053 or mkiszla@denverpost.com

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Any JO package for Camby without Nene would basicly be JO for Camby , Evans and Najera.

IF the Pacers could turn Camby into Pachula or M.Williams and ironicly our own pick back would be the best we could hope for. But seems Denver can't afford JO.

Also points out what some of us said Nene is seen as a player worth going after.

I started working on a large post showing the salaries and production of Nene, Murphy, and Dunleavy, but I don't have the time, and I'm sure Seth could do a better job.

My point is, Nene averaged 12 and 7 last year, in the first year of a 5-year, $60 million extension. I know a lot of you put your head in the sand and say you don't care about salary. However, Murphy averaged 14 and 10 in the first year of his 6-year, $57 million extension, and Dunleavy averaged 14 and 5 in the first year of his 5-year, $44 million extension.

That's a whole lot of money for a mediocre frontcourt at best.
    Last edited by Kegboy; 06-24-2007 at 12:57 PM.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

While Denver seems to be making progress on a deal with forward Eduardo Najera that could keep him around for years to come, financial haggling now makes it far from certain point guard Steve Blake will be back with the Nuggets next season.
    I wonder how much he's looking for?

I like his game a lot and we could really use Blake. TPTB said they aren't using the MLE, but I'd imagine we could get him for not too too much if we were willing. Maybe like $16 million for 4 years?

If it was somehow possible to unload Tinsley in this deal and receive draft picks in conjunction with Camby/Nene I think you pull the trigger. Does it make us immediately better...no. But it gives us a brighter future.

Nene is not nearly as bad as people think, he can easily be as good as JO in three years if he keeps improving. Camby is a monster in the post on defense.

I'd do the deal if we can unload Tinsley and get a 2nd round pick this year and a 1st rounder next year.
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    JO would not have been a perennial all-star in the West (Duncan, Nowitsky, Amare, KG and Yao are locks that may be it), and give me 18 ppg on 55% or whatever shooting over 21 ppg and 43% shooting any day of the week. Would you rather have a guy go 9-16 or go 10-23?
    if JO had stayed in the west, whats to say that all those other pieces would have fallen into place? if JO hadn't been traded to the east does that mean Yao would have been drafted by the rockets? whats to say that if JO hadn't been traded by the blazers to the rockets that he wouldn't have emerged differently than he did in indiana. he's been an all-star. would memhet have been an allstar outside of jerry sloan's system? would chris bosh be an allstar in the west? or dwight howard? or would they push yao out? or KG?
    This is the darkest timeline.

Many of you are over valuing JO.

http://test.denverpost.com/sports/ci_6214446

Hawking for a Camby trade
    By Mark Kiszla
    Denver Post Staff Columnist
    Article Last Updated: 06/24/2007 01:07:31 AM MDT
    Kiszla is a racist idiot. Don't trust a word that comes out of his mouth, he doesn't spend any time with the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post

My point is, Nene averaged 12 and 7 last year, in the first year of a 5-year, $60 million extension.
    What do you think his numbers might have been without Iverson and Anthony controlling the vast majority of the available shots?

Come to think of it, with the numbers of shots Iverson chunks up, Denver could use a good offensive rebounder.

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    if JO had stayed in the west, whats to say that all those other pieces would have fallen into place? if JO hadn't been traded to the east does that mean Yao would have been drafted by the rockets? whats to say that if JO hadn't been traded by the blazers to the rockets that he wouldn't have emerged differently than he did in indiana. he's been an all-star. would memhet have been an allstar outside of jerry sloan's system? would chris bosh be an allstar in the west? or dwight howard? or would they push yao out? or KG?
    Don't know about all that, but...
    If O'Neal would have wound up in Utah, the first time he b1tched at Sloan, he would have wound up on the bench, or picking himself up off the floor.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    Don't know about all that, but...
    If O'Neal would have wound up in Utah, the first time he b1tched at Sloan, he would have wound up on the bench, or picking himself up off the floor.
    you mean the way ak-47 has been benched?
    This is the darkest timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post

no thanks.
    Did I say we should trade JO for Nene? I just said I liked him as a player. Obviously unless we get a good deal for JO it makes more sense to keep him. Trading him for Nene and filler wouldn't be a good deal. You would atleast want to get some asset that we could turn into a young player.

Those whinging about Nene's contract, given that any big man with any offensive ability seems to be pulling in 10mil a season makes his contract look pretty reasonable. Obviously if his knee blows up again and he ends up sitting a significant portion of those 4 years it will be a bad contract, but otherwise I think it is pretty good.

1..2..3.. lil old blue sportsmusicxboxpacer's Avatar

nene he alright but JO for nene big no!
    IF YOU A PACER FAN DONT BASH TO THE PACERS..!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    I started working on a large post showing the salaries and production of Nene, Murphy, and Dunleavy, but I don't have the time, and I'm sure Seth could do a better job.

My point is, Nene averaged 12 and 7 last year, in the first year of a 5-year, $60 million extension. I know a lot of you put your head in the sand and say you don't care about salary. However, Murphy averaged 14 and 10 in the first year of his 6-year, $57 million extension, and Dunleavy averaged 14 and 5 in the first year of his 5-year, $44 million extension.

That's a whole lot of money for a mediocre frontcourt at best.
    When Murphy played for us at Golden State, nobody ever complained about his ability to put up nice looking stats.

If the only thing you're concerned about is a player's ability to put up a nice looking double double stat, then there is NO NEED to replace or get rid of Troy Murphy. He's fine.

But if you want good defense, a bigman who blocks out on the boards, shoots an efficient FG% and provides a consistent interior presence on both ends of the floor then you'll have to start looking for somebody else.

Banned

I'd take 1 Andrew Bynum over 2 Nene's. I really don't see how Nene is any better than a handful of young big men around the league. How is he any better than say, David Lee? Is he? I don't think so. Then when you take into account his ridiculous contract (approx. 4/$45M left), the fact that he's already completely blown out a knee, and that in 5 years he's done absolutely nothing, and no way do I want him anywhere near the Pacers unless it's for Troy Murphy. Nene was 24 this past season. He put up 12/7/.91, at that same age, J.O. was putting up 21/10/2.3.
    • Nene has a ridiculous contract. Bynum is on a rookie contract.
    • 19 year old Bynum is already a better rebounder and much better shot blocker than 24 year old Nene.
    • Nene has had a major knee injury, Bynum is perfectly healthy.
    • Bynum is a little bigger (1", 17 pounds), not a lot, but at 19 it's unlikely he's peaked physically.
    • Bynum has shown more offensive talent, not surprising since he's been working with the NBA's all-time leading scorer

I'd say Nene's upside is 17/9/1, with Bynum's being significantly higher, particularly in rebounding and blocks, but I also feel he'll be the better scorer as well. He's already a better free throw shooter, which is a great sign. The way I see it, Nene's upside is lower than Jermaine O'Neal's current play, whereas Bynum's upside is much higher than Jermain's current play. Just my opinion. Some of you honestly thought Earl Watson was our answer a while back.
    Last edited by Y2J; 06-25-2007 at 09:02 AM.

This might not be the proper thread for this, but I don't want to start a new one.

I've seen a couple of reports that Jose Calderon is available. I'd love him to be our starter.

I've also read that Mo Williams is looking at a long term deal starting at about $9M per year - so we would need to trade for him.

I'd love to have either as our starter

Banned

Toronto needs a SF, so Granger or Shawne Williams could be a big start in getting us Calderon.

How many here would move Granger for Calderon? I bet Toronto would do it, but would we?