Thread: RealGM's Trade Builder Being Used By NBA Teams

Default RealGM's Trade Builder Being Used By NBA Teams

I found this interesting and figured other trade groopies would too. Last I heard there was just a handful of teams using their trade checker and the Pacers weren't one of them.

http://www3.realgm.com/src_wiretap/

RealGM's Trade Builder Being Used By NBA Teams
    Jim Baumbach/Newsday - 06/20 - 2:58 PM EST

As many as 14 general managers this season will be using RealGM's Trade Builder to come up with trade ideas that fit under the salary cap.

Unlike Scott Layden, who reportedly used Trade Checker to come up with trades while running the Knicks, these GMs are not using the same program as site users do.

RealGM.com, a popular basketball Web site that was founded in 2000, actually produces a software program specifically for NBA teams that helps them produce trade ideas.

The patent-pending program is called "Trade Builder," and it differs from the "Trade Checker" program that is available to everyone on their Web site in that this program actually comes up with every potential trades for a single player.

So you can bet every team that uses this Trade Builder program has been searching for all the possible matches under the salary cap with the name, Kobe Bryant.

"If you're looking to trade for Kobe Bryant, any team in the league could plug in Bryant and then see exactly who they can trade to receive him," said Todd Essman. "It will essentially give you every combination and every possible way that you can make the trade work. It does all the searching, which Trade Checker doesn't do. It

"Trade builder will build your trade, and it essentially automates all the combinations and taking into account every little nuance of the salary cap, every rule." [READ]

Default Re: RealGM's Trade Builder Being Used By NBA Teams

Hahaha...that's great. But I think it will cause a lot of GM's to settle for players they don't really want just because the money works out. That's what always happens to me at least.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

damn now thats awesome right there
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

Considering the amount of money involved, I'm actually surprised that everyone doesn't have a program like this, and, more importantly, that this didn't happen earlier. It's not a simple program, but it's hardly Big Blue vs. Kasparov, either.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's all quite possible, BUT.....

How do they know this? The article uses words/phrases like "reportedly used," and notice the past tense. I would imagine the league has already had something in place for the GMs to know whether or not a trade would be accepted, and being out done by a fan website.

streets ahead

this story was probably the result of a press release from RealGM. as it is a different trading function than that available to the general public, my guess is that teams must sign up for accounts to access it. so that would be how they know it is being used. its probably service that they offer teams via the NBA since they have developed the program with which to calculate and shape trades. they just happen to give fans access to a similar version.
    This is the darkest timeline.

The NBA would have a similiar process already in place, or how would they be able to check the trades that filter into their offices?

Also, I was under the impression that the actual contracts weren't publicly released and all the figures are very educated estimates. If they're not privy to the actual contract amounts, than how accurate can it be, or do they have the information and just aren't allowed to release it?

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The NBA would have a similiar process already in place, or how would they be able to check the trades that filter into their offices?
    plenty of businesses contract their databases and services like that out. i work in media relations and we use a online service/database called Bacon's that collects and compiles information about journalists, bloggers, newspapers, radio/tv shows, magazines, newsletters, etc... from around the world and allows you to search for contact info so when you're pitching a story or sending out a press release you can find the right people to pitch to. now where i work, we certainly have our own contacts and press lists, but we also utilize this service despite being a media organization ourselves...

my point is that it is very possible that instead of having their own version, they could easily just contract this type of service. as far as actual trades that are agreed upon, i imagine there is much more paperwork, red tape, etc. to cut thru other than just using a trade compiler and then clicking a "submit to david stern's cabana boy" option.

Also, I was under the impression that the actual contracts weren't publicly released and all the figures are very educated estimates. If they're not privy to the actual contract amounts, than how accurate can it be, or do they have the information and just aren't allowed to release it?
    well i'm sure if they have a deal with the NBA that they have access to the information for whatever service they might provide the NBA and then just filter that over in one way or another to the public site without actually releasing numbers. RealGM lists it to the public by percentage of team's spending than actual numbers.

like i said, just guessing.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Thanks for the info. CBA/contract discussions usually make my head spin.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    my point is that it is very possible that instead of having their own version, they could easily just contract this type of service. as far as actual trades that are agreed upon, i imagine there is much more paperwork, red tape, etc. to cut thru other than just using a trade compiler and then clicking a "submit to david stern's cabana boy" option.
    Perhaps not, but I would think that much like tax software this would be an approach they were using or working on. Generate all required forms, do any required E-submissions.

The story spin is that "just like you use" kinda, but in the end it's more complex and perhaps has security locks built in as well for safe transfers and such.

As you mention, stuff that you would think would be in-house often isn't simply due to a company's desire to not maintain that level of development and support staff.

The people that pop up with studies at 82games and other places also tend to work for consulting firms that will data consult with NBA teams, along with many other industries. Sorting through finances, data, even video streams (of games) are NOT basketball specialty skills. Having these other people do that work is no different than hiring a financial advisor or an attorney. Let them worry about those nuances, you worry about the nuances of your "industry".

Mood

Someone needs to make a "home edition" of this program. The one with all the bells and whistles.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Someone needs to make a "home edition" of this program. The one with all the bells and whistles.
    id buy that program for sure

*pulls out a $50*

....where is it
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

the entire newsday article is here:
    http://www.amny.com/sports/ny-spjim0...orts-headlines

it has this additional pacer tidbit

RealGM.com, a popular basketball Web site that was founded in 2000 and has only four full-time employees, actually produces a software program specifically for NBA teams that helps them produce trade ideas. It costs teams about $30,000 per year, and chief operating officer Todd Essman (who grew up in Plainview) said currently nine teams have already signed up for next season. They could land another five.

Essman wouldn't name the teams, citing how sensitive some teams can be when it comes to their front-office machinations. But he said when they first came up with the idea in 2003 and went around the league trying to sell it, the Indiana Pacers and senior vice president David Morway were especially helpful.
    so presumably the pacers are using this trade builder?

um...David Morway for GM? Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    He did manage to get that HUGE TE in the Peja deal too. Sounds like a very bright guy.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    I actually would.