Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Artest regrets how Pacers tenure ended

Default Re: Artest regrets how Pacers tenure ended

Guys, Ron was a locker room terror for the Kings all last season (most of which stayed out of the press). He is more than just a guy who gets the occasional flagrant foul or suspension. A lot more. He's a legit nut. Sympathize all you like, but don't throw someone in that position into a locker room environment; it's not fair to everyone else involved.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by TheLemonSong View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GETTING BACK ON TOPIC:

Did JO and Ron ever have serious beef? I know that JO stood behind Ron after the brawl, I know that he made some efforts to befriend him, and I know that he expressed frustration directed at some of Ron's antics, but theres nothing leading me to believe the two guys aren't friends...

How about this:

Indiana Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing
    Troy Murphy
    6-11 PF from Notre Dame
    10.3 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 1.9 apg in 27.2 minutes

Jeff Foster
    6-11 C from Southwest Texas State
    4.3 ppg, 8.1 rpg, 0.8 apg in 23.2 minutes

Shawne Williams
    6-9 SF from Memphis
    3.9 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 0.5 apg in 12.1 minutes

Incoming
    Brad Miller
    7-0 C from Purdue
    9.0 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 3.6 apg in 28.3 minutes

Ron Artest
    6-7 SF from St. John's
    18.8 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 3.4 apg in 37.7 minutes

Change in team outlook: +9.3 ppg, -3.1 rpg, and +3.8 apg.

Sacramento Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing
    Brad Miller
    7-0 C from Purdue
    9.0 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 3.6 apg in 28.3 minutes

Ron Artest
    6-7 SF from St. John's
    18.8 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 3.4 apg in 37.7 minutes

Incoming
    Troy Murphy
    6-11 PF from Notre Dame
    10.3 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 1.9 apg in 27.2 minutes

Jeff Foster
    6-11 C from Southwest Texas State
    4.3 ppg, 8.1 rpg, 0.8 apg in 23.2 minutes

Shawne Williams
    6-9 SF from Memphis
    3.9 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 0.5 apg in 12.1 minutes

We get two players that WANT to be in Indiana, and we give up a few bigs which Sacto desperately needs...
    Ron Artest WANTED to be a Pacer for life one day and demanded a trade the next. How can some of you forget so quickly what he did to this franchise? We just ran Stephen Jackson out of town for much less than Ron ever did and now we want to bring the guy who sabotaged this franchise in every way back? Do you guys enjoy being kicked in the balls? I mean seriously. There is a reason the Kings already want him gone. He demanded a trade and we had to give him up for an aging jump shooter with a bad back and an expiring contract. He, by himself, Ron Artest is the only one responsible for his personal actions the night of the brawl. So he, only him, Ron Artest is responsible for his season long suspension that ruined and I mean completely ruined the best team in the NBA that year.

And some of you actually WANT to bring him back. You think hes changed. How many times do you have to get hit by a car to realize you should stop playing in the highway? Sure you might avoid the car one time, or the second time, or even the third time, but eventually that car is going to turn you into a glorified bug on their windshield.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Sports Logo

No way in hell we trade Jeff and Shawne for Brad and Ron. I would take Ron back if it meant we got Brad and dumped Murphy and Dunleavy but I would sit Ron untill I could trade him again.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You know that commercial where the monkeys are running a business and it ends with the human doing the presentation saying something like, "And as you can see investing all our money in lottery tickets is not a sound investment."
    Thats exactly what bringing Ron Artest back to the Pacers would be like. Investing all our money in lotto tickets. Sure there is the teeny, tiny, minute chance you win HUGE, but the overwhelming chance is that you are just flushing your money down the proverbial toilet.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    Who votes for All Stars based on defense?
    ben wallace? its true most people don't vote on defense but coaches would select the reserves based on that (see Dale Davis)

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Guys, Ron was a locker room terror for the Kings all last season (most of which stayed out of the press). He is more than just a guy who gets the occasional flagrant foul or suspension. A lot more. He's a legit nut. Sympathize all you like, but don't throw someone in that position into a locker room environment; it's not fair to everyone else involved.
    yup.

and trading three fairly healthy players for players constantly injured (brad miller physical, ron artest psychological) is worse than the GSW trade ESPECIALLY including shawne
    This is the darkest timeline.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Did JO and Ron ever have serious beef? I know that JO stood behind Ron after the brawl, I know that he made some efforts to befriend him, and I know that he expressed frustration directed at some of Ron's antics, but theres nothing leading me to believe the two guys aren't friends...
    Wow.

The regular lockerroom fistfights are enough for me.

Some days, "bad Ron" figured that if Rick couldn't see just how much better Ron was than JO, if he'd beat up JO then Rick would just have to make him the #1 option.

JO stood behind Ron in the same PR-motivated smokescreen that put Bird on the cover of SI with him, and the Simons claiming that Ron was a swell guy.

It was all a series of well-designed lies to make Ron look like less of a villian in order to enhance his trade value/ lessen his suspension/ save the franchise from further embarassment.

None of those guys really supported Ron, it was just a marketing stunt.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Who votes for All Stars based on defense?

I can't see Dirk missing many All Star games if he's not hurt. The League has too much of a man-crush on him. Too marquee. Too European. Too white. Too good.

Not to mention his numbers will always look better.
    Yeah, I meant to add that but had to leave. Amare and Dirk would probably still make it because of their reputation - I just meant that JO would be more deserving.

Amare is really overrated. (And I hate saying that since they whole 'overrated' thing is so annoying nowadays, I'm just not sure how else to word it). He had a good year, but All-NBA first team? What the heck did KG do to get demoted to third team? It's silly.

And Dirk's last 8 playoff games really show what kind of MVP he really is.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    While I'm not quite ready to go that far. I'll say that JO can be put on the center ballot and make it as a backup center. No prob. Also, if he goes to LA and LA wins something like 55 games, he automatically goes to the all-star game...don't worry. And Even if JO isn't a center (which I think Phil could make him), the coaches could make him a backup center ala Pau Gasol a few years back. Also, let's say he doesn't get past Amare, TD, Dirk, and KG...who is going to get those wild card spots? Mehmet Okur was an all-star last year in the west. Mehmet Okur! I love Memo and all but, come on. JO on a Laker team with Kobe could beat him out.

Also, I think JO would find it much easier to score if he didn't have the constant attention on him. You can't double and triple team JO with Kobe on the team. If Odom is there too then I don't think a return to JO's 48%, 22pts days are out of reach. JO is very talented offensively but it is hard when you don't have anyone to help you out. As much as I love Granger, when Granger in his second year is your number two guy...whew. And at least LA would have some shooters. Even KG had Mike James and Ricky Davis on the perimeter to help him out (and to some extent Randy Foye). In terms of TOs and such, JO is on par with TD and KG and he doesn't have the ballhandlers and guards that they have to feed him in the post.

Please, bad mouth JO for legit things, such as the fact that he is not a true number one option on offense. Don't pretend that isn't a very good player. And last year JO was better than Brand...he made himself such a defensive beast. Brand is probably still better offensively but he is no JO on D.
    Good point about Memo...

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    overrated. (And I hate saying that since they whole 'overrated' thing is so annoying nowadays, I'm just not sure how else to word it).

Are you saying that the word "overrated" is overrated?

As an alternative, I recommend going Hilary Duff and saying that Amare is "so yesterday".

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaDave View Post
    Are you saying that the word "overrated" is overrated?

As an alternative, I recommend going Hilary Duff and saying that Amare is "so yesterday".

I guess I might be.

I didn't think that Brad would have been an All-star in the West. I was wrong. It's possible even though I think Boozer has a better chance than JO of making the team.

I guess I might be.

The worst was "jump the shark". It was an awesome phrase until it was driven into the ground. Then, when it was discussed at length in a Bill Simmons column, it just sucked. So, in effect, it too jumped the shark. Lots of people picked up on the irony of this, and pointed out that the phrase "jump the shark" had jumped the shark. This was really funny. But everyone picked up on this and I read it all over the place.

So I felt like a jerk because I had to point out that saying "'jump the shark' has jumped the shark" had jumped the shark. Bah.

All this is enough to make Chuck Klosterman's head explode (with delight).

(did it work? are we done talking about 'he who shall not be named' now?)

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Who?

RON ARTEST??

I consume tiny briefs Robobtowncolt's Avatar

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he cared about winning.
    Narf!

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

This guy is my hero. I wish he was my dad.
    Just as long as you aren't his dog or wife I think you're in the clear. Well, or a group he's producing.

(this from the guy that actually has defended him a little in both those cases)

So I felt like a jerk because I had to point out that saying "'jump the shark' has jumped the shark" had jumped the shark. Bah.

I actually just heard someone say that the other day.

So...we may actually have reached the point where noticing that "'saying "jump the shark has jumped the shark" has jumped the shark'" has now jumped the shark.

Fonzi would be so proud.

"Ayyy"

The worst was "jump the shark". It was an awesome phrase until it was driven into the ground. Then, when it was discussed at length in a Bill Simmons column, it just sucked. So, in effect, it too jumped the shark. Lots of people picked up on the irony of this, and pointed out that the phrase "jump the shark" had jumped the shark. This was really funny. But everyone picked up on this and I read it all over the place.

I kinda think Chuck Klosterman has jumped the shark. Dude annoys me for some reason. (Meaning his writing about pop music and whatever, I didn't read his ESPN stuff)

I kinda think Chuck Klosterman has jumped the shark. Dude annoys me for some reason. (Meaning his writing about pop music and whatever, I didn't read his ESPN stuff)

I felt the pop culture climate turn on him right before he published his last book. I don't care, though. I still enjoy his work.

Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

Here's why I'm willing to take Ron back:
    I care about winning...NOW!

I have hated on Ron for a long time, and I still do think some of the things he did while he was at Indiana were disgusting (although I do think he got somewhat of a raw deal in the brawl considering he isn't the first player to go into the stands and fight a person...the other player that did that got a FIVE game suspension...and he actually HIT the guy! See Vernon Maxwell for those with short memories...oh, and before I hear the "Well, Ron had a history.." comments, go look ask Carl Herrera what he thinks of Maxwell after getting thirty stitches to the head).

There was a great article in ESPN the magazine about 9 months ago that explained how great teams have used bad-boys for a season or two to get them to a title and then dropped them. The Spurs did this with S-Jax for example...

So why not?

Q. Who cares about Pacers basketball right now?
    A. No one.

Q. Who would create interest, help the team win, AND put fans in the seats?
    A. Ron Artest

Get Ron for cheap, use him to create a buzz and get some wins and keep JO, then when his trade value is up because Isiah Thomas says "Wow, he's a changed man and he'll be good in NYC" you trade him for more than he's worth.

/end

I felt the pop culture climate turn on him right before he published his last book. I don't care, though. I still enjoy his work.
    I'm not sure what you mean there? I'm not uberfamiliar with his work--I always try to get into it, read an essay or so and just get turned off. Loved his Radiohead essay though (the one in his latest book, not the part in KYtL), mainly because I'm a huge Radiohead fan.

Here's why I'm willing to take Ron back:
    I care about winning...NOW!

I have hated on Ron for a long time, and I still do think some of the things he did while he was at Indiana were disgusting (although I do think he got somewhat of a raw deal in the brawl considering he isn't the first player to go into the stands and fight a person...the other player that did that got a FIVE game suspension...and he actually HIT the guy! See Vernon Maxwell for those with short memories...oh, and before I hear the "Well, Ron had a history.." comments, go look ask Carl Herrera what he thinks of Maxwell after getting thirty stitches to the head).

There was a great article in ESPN the magazine about 9 months ago that explained how great teams have used bad-boys for a season or two to get them to a title and then dropped them. The Spurs did this with S-Jax for example...

So why not?

Q. Who cares about Pacers basketball right now?
    A. No one.

Q. Who would create interest, help the team win, AND put fans in the seats?
    A. Ron Artest

Get Ron for cheap, use him to create a buzz and get some wins and keep JO, then when his trade value is up because Isiah Thomas says "Wow, he's a changed man and he'll be good in NYC" you trade him for more than he's worth.

/end
    Uh - who has really won with Ron?
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    Uh - who has really won with Ron?
    The Pacers? The Kings?...well at least until screwed both locker rooms of course. For the record, I think that Sacramento made two big mistakes in not resigning Bonzi and Rick Adelman. I mean, if you are going to make Ron your franchise guy, go all the way like you said you would. We all predicted this year for them...anyone could have seen what was happening.
    Last edited by rexnom; 06-20-2007 at 07:51 PM.

And Dirk's last 8 playoff games really show what kind of MVP he really is.
    And Ted Williams had a crap World Series.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    And Ted Williams had a crap World Series.
    Yeah, but let's not act like Dirk's regular season was one for the ages. I mean, it was impressive like Dirk's numbers usually are but he had the best regular-season cast he has ever had and he still showed less toughness than in last year playoffs. Nash was my MVP this year.