Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jackson cops a plea

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Jackson cops a plea

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...TS04/706180430
    Former Indiana Pacers player Stephen Jackson has agreed to admit to his role in a melee outside a Westside strip club under a plea bargain that will allow him to avoid time behind bars.

Jackson, 29, who now plays for the Golden State Warriors, is scheduled to plead guilty and be sentenced at 11 a.m. Wednesday in Marion Superior Court. According to a plea agreement filed in court, he will admit the most serious charge, felony criminal recklessness, for firing his gun into the air before and after another participant hit Jackson with his car.

If the judge accepts his guilty plea, Jackson will receive 100 hours of community service at Christamore House and pay a $5,000 fine. A one-year jail sentence will be fully suspended, and prosecutors have agreed to convert the Class D felony into a misdemeanor conviction, since it is Jackson's first felony.
    So he won't get the felony charge and won't do jail time.

Seems pretty likely that he was going to lose the recklessness case anyway for firing the gun in the air inside city limits.

This would seem to be just about the end of Jackson's tie to Indy, though I'm sure someone will replay brawl footage to go along with the MI judge's ruling on Jackson breaking his probabtion (for the brawl) 1 day shy of it ending the first time.

Looks like Indy wouldn't be able to get out of his deal because of this (I assume). Hard to say what that would have done to his Indy status (with fans, as trade bait), but I have to assume that pulling jail time off the table improves his overall tradability in the league.

Anyway, so much for the charges about him starting the fight or beating people up.

I just hope the DNA results for the ham and cheese sandwich bag get in so we can find out who's been eating the mayor's 3 pm snack. It's only tax-payer's money, and there's no other way to crack the case.

Default Re: Jackson cops a plea

And Paris Hilton got jail time - not that I disagreed with it.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Who is this Stephen Jackson you speak of and why do we care about him

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who is this Stephen Jackson you speak of and why do we care about him
    Good point, it was only the lead story at Indy Star when I posted it. Clearly it's in no way a discussion point.

I didn't sit there and defend him, and in fact I said he'd have lost if he went to trial on the gun charge. But still it requires a smart alec response to make some point.

Frankly I'd think Jack haters would be the most thrilled that this is getting closer to coming to an end. Even my point was that hopefully we are nearing the end of the days when Jackson/Jail/Pacers stop being used together in news stories. But that day isn't quite there yet, no matter how many cute responses are brought into the fray.

Is this the Running back from ST Louis?

Mood

Seth, you manage to take a comment and run with it, leading to possible escalation. Re-read your post. Now UB is a "hater".

If this were a no-name guy, like you or me, violating probation by firing a gun in the air mutiple times (?) after an early morning scuffle outside a strip club,

would such a no-name guy get a nice plea bargain down to a misdemeanor?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    If this were a no-name guy, like you or me, violating probation by firing a gun in the air mutiple times (?) after an early morning scuffle outside a strip club,

I have no idea.

me neither, but I figure some of the others here with more experience in the criminal justice system might know better.

I was admittedly pretty happy that the judge decided not to let off Paris Hilton, and I don't see her offense as a whole lot worse than Jackson's.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The probation violation is the lynch pin to all this. The only reason he was still on probation was because there was a legal issue with his restitution. I'm sure that might of had to do with him being offered the plea he accepted.

As far as without the probation. Yes, Joe Sixpack would have had the same deal because he has NEVER had a felony on his record, and the only misdemenor on his rap sheet would have to do with the brawl in Auburn Hills, MI. As far as municipal justice goes....a $5000 fine is quite large, but the 100 hours of community service is standard.

Anyone that thought he was going to get jail time over this was really kidding themselves considering the man barely has a criminal record to speak of.
    Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 06-18-2007 at 04:52 PM.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    The probation violation is the lynch pin to all this. The only reason he was still on probation was because there was a legal issue with his restitution. I'm sure that might of had to do with him being offered the plea he accepted.

As far as without the probation. Yes, Joe Sixpack would have had the same deal because he has NEVER had a felony on his record, and the only misdemenor on his rap sheet would have to do with the brawl in Auburn Hills, MI. As far as municipal justice goes....a $5000 fine is quite large, but the 100 hours of community service is standard.

Anyone that thought he was going to get jail time over this was really kidding themselves considering the man barely has a criminal record to speak of.
    He now has two incidents with the judicial system and two probations. The noose around his neck is tightening and sadly he may find himself with strike 3.

I'm just joking around.

In a world where Paris Hilton goes to jail, isn't everything possible?

That's my boy, man I'm happy.

Community service ain't nothing to him, as he's already good with those types of venues. He needs to get down on his knees and thank god for blessing him with such a lucky sentence, and avoid any further trouble.

I'm glad he has gotten this taken care of. As ajbry said, I too hope he learns from it since he is a pretty good guy. I hope he has a good run in Golden State or where ever he ends up.

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    ...As far as without the probation. Yes, Joe Sixpack would have had the same deal because he has NEVER had a felony on his record...
    I 100% agree with that, but I thought probation was a very big deal and essentially means "do anything bad in this period of time and we will cut you no slack whatsoever" yet they seem to cut him an awful lot of slack.

I too hope he learns from it since he is a pretty good guy.
    In my entire life I have met lots of "pretty good guys" and not one that I would put in that category would ever fire a handgun in anger in a parking lot outside a strip club.

Regarding the level of the penalty:
    David Wyser, the Marion County prosecutor's chief trial deputy, said Jackson "actually got hit a little bit harder." Few defendants facing a low-level felony get a large fine or community service, he said.
    The article has been updated and now includes info regarding his Michigan probabation violation which I thought was still pending, waiting on the outcome of this trial. Apparently not. Was it posted previously and I missd it?

Anyway, for his involvement in Rio:
    Jackson's arrest violated his probation on a misdemeanor conviction in Rochester Hills, Mich. Jackson punched a fan during a brawl during a November 2004 game against the Detroit Pistons.

Earlier this month, a Michigan judge sentenced Jackson to 10 days in a community service program for the violation, said Paul Walton, an Oakland County assistant prosecutor.
    So it sounds like once 8 Seconds is done the Pacers should be free from all outstanding legal issues. Has 8 Seconds even gone anyplace?

At the sake of going political a bit, I think those of us that suggested a fair amount of grandstanding by Brizzi are on to something. For all the drum beating he did before the election the final results of this case regarding the players side are pretty low.

Did he truly misread the case back then and not realize it wasn't legally going to amount to much or was it all for votes? I mean a DNA test was run on a plastic bag with a midemeanor of pot in it (IIRC), whose ownership was admitted to later. The guy got $1000 and 60 days suspended.

In regards to my reaction...
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I'm just joking around.

Okay then. I'm wound tight because of all the crap I've gotten just for saying that Jack didn't suck and wasn't the devil. The timing and lack of smiley conveyed to me that it was a comment on the value of the discussion at hand, ie "why'd you start this, no one wants to hear about him anymore".

Quote Originally Posted by Mal
    Seth, you manage to take a comment and run with it, leading to possible escalation. Re-read your post. Now UB is a "hater".
    Excuse me, but you are perhaps the #1 person that has been ripping on me from the other side of those Jackson debates, moreso than even UB. I have no doubt that from your view I'm always overly sensitive and you're perfectly reasonable.

But my vote is "takes 2 to tango" and a snide remark, even if a joke was intended, can spin people up. You can't step in here and pretend you and UB have zero history debating with myself and others about this player.

Are you honestly surprised that my reaction to a thread crap on this subject was negative? My reaction came from the same place that motivated UB to post his comment in the first place. Snide is snide, no matter which side of a debate it takes. Each of us takes them poorly if it's been a harsh debate previously.

Again, I INTENTIONALLY tried to avoid making it sound like a "see, you guys were wrong, he's not going to jail" or "hooray for Jackson" post, for exactly the escalation reason you mention. What was the point of a snide joke? To keep things smooth?

I'm sorry, but this is exactly what is wrong and why athletes continue to do stupid things. There is no price to pay. Well, unless you are Pacman Jones.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Excuse me, but you are perhaps the #1 person that has been ripping on me from the other side of those Jackson debates, moreso than even UB. I have no doubt that from your view I'm always overly sensitive and you're perfectly reasonable.
    Well, look back at the post and don't just take the short cut of coming at me. You called UB a Jackson hater. If you can't find the overreaction in that....

Again, I INTENTIONALLY tried to avoid making it sound like a "see, you guys were wrong, he's not going to jail" or "hooray for Jackson" post, for exactly the escalation reason you mention. What was the point of a snide joke? To keep things smooth?
    I think you take it a lot more seriously than Unclebuck does.

I was just watching this on the news....

And did they just say that he was going to be suspended for a year?

Edit: I think one of the announcers screwed up.
    Last edited by carpediem024; 06-19-2007 at 03:08 PM.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMltKsoDwe8&NR=1
    press pause on the second slow-mo replay around 0:12 mark

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

His year prison term is going to be suspended.

A one-year jail sentence will be fully suspended, and prosecutors have agreed to convert the Class D felony into a misdemeanor conviction

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Jackson cops a plea

Something about Jackson and cops in the same sentence just looks natural.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

The NFL has layed down some big penalties for its criminals lately.

Since he pleaded guilty to the felony (which is probably the only one of the charges that was legit), my hunch is that the league comes down hard on him.

I'm guessing they'll find a way to give him a 41-game suspension. Half a season - the same as Tank Johnson but less than the guy with the Bengals.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome
    ...As far as without the probation. Yes, Joe Sixpack would have had the same deal because he has NEVER had a felony on his record...
    Quote Originally Posted by pacertom
    I 100% agree with that, but I thought probation was a very big deal and essentially means "do anything bad in this period of time and we will cut you no slack whatsoever" yet they seem to cut him an awful lot of slack.
    That was for the Oakland County prosecutor to cut him no slack, not Marion County. I truely believe that Oakland County cut him slack on his probation violation due to the fact that the only reason his probation to be extended was due to a legal hang-up in his restitution to a fan that was involved in the brawl.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74