Thread: I'm Optimistic about O'Brien

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default I'm Optimistic about O'Brien

Haven't posted in awhile--certainly not since the new coach was named--and I want to air my two cents that I'm pretty encouraged about a new season with O'Brien as coach.

Why?

He's had solid success at two teams. Turned both programs around, really. The Celtics haven't sniffed at sucess for the several years before and after his arrival, IIRC.

In fact, you could argue that O'Brien is a sleeper for becoming a top-notch coach in the league. He's solid on defense, on fundamentals, and he doesn't put up with BS, something the Pacers desperately need from a coach. In fact, Carlisle probably should have gone the way of O'Brien in Boston and Philly--Rick should have taken the risk, had some balls, put his foot down and either watched the team work through some temper tantrums or gotten himself fired for taking his stance.

Can we name other coaches in the league with O'Brien's rather unblemished record? I mean, he's generally had winning seasons, generally improved his teams, and taken bottom dwellers to the Eastern finals. To me, he seems to have been the victim of impatient, and possibly spineless, management. The Celtics thought they could revive their old successful ways by bringing back Antwoin Walker. That wasn't correct, apparently. Maybe it was O'Brien they needed to bring back.

So we get O'Brien instead. Go Pacers.
    Last edited by McKeyFan; 06-15-2007 at 08:17 PM.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Default Re: I'm Optimistic about O'Brien

Same boat. I was definitely surprised by the hiring, but I have a hard time finding a reason to not like him. His team's have shot a lot of 3's, but I want to see what he does with the roster he has on opening day before I start freaking out about the game plan.

Agreed. I like the hiring. I just hope that if JO is traded and we go extremely young, that he doesn't catch all the blame for us losing a lot. That is, if he is handed a bad, bad team, he should be judged on how he deals with the youngins', not on our W-L.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

There are only two things that worry me a little bit. (Believe me there are at least 20 things I really like about him)

But the two worries are:

1) Too many three point shots - that was one ting I didn't really like about Carlisle and O'Brien relies on it quite a bit more

2) this is a small concern. He relies a little too heavily on his best two or three players. He does this in two ways. a) He plays them too many minutes - and therefore the bench isn't used as consistantly as I like.
    b) He runs the entire offense through the best players often at the expense of the lesser players

Having said that, no coach is perfect - so overall I'm very excited

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    b) He runs the entire offense through the best players often at the expense of the lesser players

I kind of suppose that this was more a result of the make up of his teams. He won't really have a lot of goto offensive options with us, at least not like in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobol Sam View Post
    I kind of suppose that this was more a result of the make up of his teams. He won't really have a lot of goto offensive options with us, at least not like in the past.
    That is a good point, so we'll see if things change here

There are only two things that worry me a little bit. (Believe me there are at least 20 things I really like about him)

But the two worries are:

1) Too many three point shots - that was one ting I didn't really like about Carlisle and O'Brien relies on it quite a bit more

#1 for two years as Boston's coach, but as Philly's coach they ranked towards the middle of the NBA in 3pt/game. Actually, his numbers have been consistent as the rest of the league has caught up and passed him (part of it is the 3 pt line move).

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt View Post
    Same boat. I was definitely surprised by the hiring, but I have a hard time finding a reason to not like him. His team's have shot a lot of 3's, but I want to see what he does with the roster he has on opening day before I start freaking out about the game plan.
    I'll just echo both of you. A part of me is worried that I'm setting myself up for disappointment, but I made a psuedo "vow" to be a sunshiner, so bring it on!

Seriously though, I like what I've read so far.

Banned

I have always been a fan of JO'B. His teams play hard, very hard, and everyone is treated the same. The "stars" dont get special treatment, if anything, more is expected of them. As it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck

But the two worries are:

2) this is a small concern. He relies a little too heavily on his best two or three players. He does this in two ways. a) He plays them too many minutes - and therefore the bench isn't used as consistantly as I like.

He also has bad relationships with his best players most recently Allen Iverson.

I do think Jim is gonna be great for the Pacers though you can tell by the press-conference that hes dedicated to turn this ship around.
    "To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe." - Anatole France

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Smashed_Potato View Post
    He also has bad relationships with his best players most recently Allen Iverson.

I do think Jim is gonna be great for the Pacers though you can tell by the press-conference that hes dedicated to turn this ship around.
    i thought that too, but i'm pretty sure he and iverson were fine, it was webber and billy king that he had problems with, IIRC.
    This is the darkest timeline.

But the two worries are:

Same here.

And because of these two reasons I think OB is here 3 years at the most.

He's not a championship winning coach (God, please prove me wrong), but he'll get us back into contention (I hope)...

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Smashed_Potato View Post
    Well, his stock just went up higher.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown