Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40

Thread: Do the Pacers now have to move O'Neal

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,624

    Default Do the Pacers now have to move O'Neal

    With all the talk of moving O'Neal has it gotten to the point where the Pacers now have to move him? If not to the Lakers, then somewhere.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Do the Pacers now have to move O'Neal

    Yes I think they do.

    But not because of the talks with O'Neal.

    But because I believe that Jermaine wants to be traded. But it's JMO. I think that Jermaine knows that this team won't be sniffing a championship anytime soon and he is better off playing with Kobe in LA.

  3. #3
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do the Pacers now have to move O'Neal

    No.

    I believe he and management are on the same page here. If a deal can be had that makes the Pacers better and puts JO in a good situation (ie, mutally beneficial) then it will happen.

    If not, it won't. And the Pacers will keep their best player.

    It isn't like JO's agent (as far as we know) is negotiating a trade and coming back to the Pacers with a "do this, or else" stance.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  4. #4
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Do the Pacers now have to move O'Neal

    No - the players and executives do not live in the same world as the fans. There is always a lot of talk, and while it seems more accelerated right now, why would one or the other stop being professional about it?

    JO is not Ron Artest.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  5. #5
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,767

    Default Re: Do the Pacers now have to move O'Neal

    This is just my opinion, but I think JO came within an inch of demanding a trade. Pacers told him to keep it quiet, keep it out of the media and we'll look to move you. Ther question is what if th pacers don't come up with a deal they like, would JO be willing to come back - I think only if he believes the pacers are trying to win now and trying to put tgether a very good team.


    Jay - it is great having you back - has worked eased up for you a little

  6. #6

    Default Re: Do the Pacers now have to move O'Neal

    I'm just speculating but I just believe that Jermaine would rather play elsewhere. I feel it makes sense.

    He doesn't have to come out and demand a trade publicly in order to ask TPTB for a trade.

    But hey i'm just speculating here.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Do the Pacers now have to move O'Neal

    No, but if they do keep him we can't stand pat either. This summer something has to change.

  8. #8
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do the Pacers now have to move O'Neal

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, but if they do keep him we can't stand pat either. This summer something has to change.
    The coaching change and last season's big trade aren't enough for you?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  9. #9

    Default Re: Do the Pacers now have to move O'Neal

    Not unless we envision a backcourt of O'Brien and Dunleavy.

    The biggest draw back to playing in the East is that you can believe that you are better than you really are just because you make the playoffs.

  10. #10
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,049

    Default Re: Do the Pacers now have to move O'Neal

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not unless we envision a backcourt of O'Brien and Dunleavy.

    The biggest draw back to playing in the East is that you can believe that you are better than you really are just because you make the playoffs.


    Who's O'Brien?
    Last edited by Will Galen; 06-15-2007 at 03:32 PM.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Do the Pacers now have to move O'Neal

    Jim O'Brien. Sorry. I was just saying that neither move fixes our backcourt.

  12. #12
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,274

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do the Pacers now have to move O'Neal

    Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With all the talk of moving O'Neal has it gotten to the point where the Pacers now have to move him? If not to the Lakers, then somewhere.
    Of course not. Were that the criteria for moving a player, pretty much everyone would have been traded by now.

  13. #13
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,274

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do the Pacers now have to move O'Neal

    Quote Originally Posted by rommie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes I think they do.

    But not because of the talks with O'Neal.

    But because I believe that Jermaine wants to be traded. But it's JMO. I think that Jermaine knows that this team won't be sniffing a championship anytime soon and he is better off playing with Kobe in LA.
    Unless, of course, the Lakers intend to bring in Artest to supplement him. Do you really think he wants to go through that again?

  14. #14
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Do the Pacers now have to move O'Neal

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No.

    I believe he and management are on the same page here. If a deal can be had that makes the Pacers better and puts JO in a good situation (ie, mutally beneficial) then it will happen.

    If not, it won't. And the Pacers will keep their best player.

    It isn't like JO's agent (as far as we know) is negotiating a trade and coming back to the Pacers with a "do this, or else" stance.
    I agree.

    Hey, it's a miracle.

  15. #15
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Do the Pacers now have to move O'Neal

    The biggest draw back to playing in the East is that you can believe that you are better than you really are just because you make the playoffs.
    I'll take 50 wins and losing 4-1 in the Finals every year just because we are "fooled" by the East. Winning is winning. I don't think Orlando is that far off, East or otherwise. And I'm pretty sure they don't think they are finished and need no more work. In fact name a team in the East that just because they made the playoffs probably figures "good enough".


    They aren't fixing the backcourt with the rumored JO trade anyway. The #19 is not likely to yield a backcourt solution, unless someone gets lucky and Rudy (or other) is there AND pans out. Farmar is not a fix either, he's okay as a backup and doesn't appear headed anywhere but that.

    So that means that it's about Bynum (frontcourt ala Dale for JO), some salary relief that has little impact on next season, and perhaps the chance to keep fans satisfied with a pick this summer since they are probably about to experience another tough season and are restless.

    Otherwise the main fixes don't start to kick in till NEXT summer and beyond. JO doesn't have to be traded now for that to remain true.


    Now if this was JO for Kidd or Kobe, that's instant backcourt help meant to solve the problem ASAP. That's not a rebuild, that's a redistribution of the talent. Doesn't sound like they are doing that.

  16. #16
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: Do the Pacers now have to move O'Neal

    "All this talk" has been the same speculatory newspaper articles that have had JO's name in them for like 2 years now.

    I agree with Jay that JO is fine with the idea of Larry/Donnie having discussions with other GMs about him. I think he understands it's not a "we have to get this guy out of here" situation, and just more of a "we have to explore all our options" thing.

  17. #17
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Do the Pacers now have to move O'Neal

    I don't see why they'd trade for Ron when they could sign Hill.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  18. #18
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do the Pacers now have to move O'Neal

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jim O'Brien. Sorry. I was just saying that neither move fixes our backcourt.
    Silly me. I thought you were saying Jim O'Brien would beat out Tinsley for the starting PG spot.

    Hey, its possible...

    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  19. #19

    Default Re: Do the Pacers now have to move O'Neal

    Naptown Seth,
    Keeping JO means that we are trying to win now. If winning now means making into the East then we are fine. If winning now means being in the mix for a championship we are a ways off.

    By the way as the team stands I don't think winning 50 games and losing 4-1 in the finals is in the Pacers future. What I mean is missing the playoffs in the East then turning around and saying just because we could make the playoffs in the East next year doesn't mean that we are any good or have a bright future. The difference between us and Orlando is they have a young All Star, we have an aging one.

    The Laker trade or any trade would be for re-building. Bynum is still a couple years off. So fixing our backcourt so that we could be a top team wouldn't be the point.

  20. #20
    Member LoneGranger33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,396

    Default Re: Do the Pacers now have to move O'Neal

    We should only NOT trade him if we send some of our younger guys away for a player to help us contend, say Paul Pierce.

  21. #21
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,623

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do the Pacers now have to move O'Neal

    Quote Originally Posted by rommie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm just speculating but I just believe that Jermaine would rather play elsewhere. I feel it makes sense.

    He doesn't have to come out and demand a trade publicly in order to ask TPTB for a trade.

    But hey i'm just speculating here.
    I agree with what you say.

    Out of sheer loyalty to the Organization.....I wouldn't be surprised if JONeal did ( as UB suggested ) work things out with TPTB to stay quiet so that they can work something out to move him to play with Kobe.

    I wish we can reload and make a run for the Playoffs with JONeal....but even some of us here don't think that is going to happen given what limited offseason changes that we can make that does not involve JONeal. How can JONeal...a guy that sees what is going on inside the organization...not see this too? I just don't get the sense that he is willing to stay on this "mediocre" team and continue to do what we did before. Hopefully JO'B can make a difference...but I don't think that JONeal wants to wait around to see if that happens.

    IMHO, I think that the second that he thinks that his chances of ending up with Kobe is beginning to dimiish ( as we get closer to the draft ), I wouldn't be surprised if these "rumored" comments begin to pop up more and more as we get close to the Free Agency signing period.

    But the second that he says something and forces the Pacers to take a "lesser" deal....we're screwed.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  22. #22
    Get well PG! QuickRelease's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Do the Pacers now have to move O'Neal

    Nope, but I sure like the idea of trying to get out from under Troy Murphy's contract. Man, that thing is like a super albatross. I think I could stomach Dunleavy's deal, but there is no way Murphy should ever be making 10-12 million dollars for playing the role of Michael Doleac senior.

  23. #23
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,935

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do the Pacers now have to move O'Neal

    "It's just business"

    Jermaine seems mature enough to reallize that if the Pacers can't move him...he may have to play for us a little longer. I'm guessing that he probably did tell managment that he wanted to leave, but I'm sure management told him that their first responsibility is to making the best move for the team and its fans....So, be patient.

    I think he does reallize that his best move is to work with TPTB, instead of Artesting his way out of town. Yeah, he can opt out...but, that WILL limit him to where he wants to go. I'm sure he knows that it is the same sorry teams that have free money to spend on a contract like his. Best to be traded and keep your contract instead of opting out and taking a pay cut!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  24. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,655

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do the Pacers now have to move O'Neal

    I agree with Buck when he says that the Pacers have probably agreed to move Jermaine, as long as Jermaine keeps it out of the press.

    But to answer the question... I believe the Pacers do have to move Jermaine. But he has one more year on his contract before he can exercise his option. Therefore, he does NOT have to be moved this summer, but IMO he does have to be moved prior to the trading deadline in February 2008.

  25. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brown County, Indiana
    Posts
    3,744

    Default Re: Do the Pacers now have to move O'Neal

    Gnome makes a good point when he mentions JO's contract.

    I don't think the Pacers have to trade him because of the scuttle of this off season. I think the Pacers have to trade him from a dollars point of view.

    The final year of JO's contract pays him $23M. I can't even find a word that describes what I think about that number. Rediculous comes close. Anyway the point is, if he is not traded, do you re-sign him at the end of his deal? If so, for how much? I doubt he will want to take a cut. Maybe, but he does think a lot of his own value.

    Murphy's contract may be bad, but JO's contract is holding this team hostage when it comes to trying to improve.

    Before you flame me about this, just let me say I would feel the same way if it were another player making that $23M. I don't think there is ANY PLAYER worth that kind of money.
    Last edited by Tom White; 06-15-2007 at 05:35 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •