Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Israeli TV> Maceo Baston to Toronto?

Default Israeli TV> Maceo Baston to Toronto?

Was offered a 3-year deal by the Raptors. He can opt out of his final year in Indiana. The offer is probably around the $1mil/year.

No link, heard it on TV.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Default Re: Israeli TV> Maceo Baston to Toronto?

Nothing disastrous for us IF that were to happen. I wouldn't like it, because I like Maceo, his game and his professionalism and would prefer to keep him here, but it's not something that could be covered this summer either.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

There was already a rumor that the Raptors were interested in Jasikevicius, so if both guys get reunited with Anthony Parker I think I'm going to adept Toronto as my 2nd favourite NBA team!
    Maceo Baston's #1 fan on Pacers Digest!

Quote Originally Posted by NPFII View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was offered a 3-year deal by the Raptors. He can opt out of his final year in Indiana. The offer is probably around the $1mil/year.

No link, heard it on TV.
    Until he opts out of his deal, no one can talk to him. That would be tampering.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#92
    91. What is tampering?

Tampering is when a player or team directly or indirectly entices, induces or persuades anybody (player, general manager, etc.) who is under contract with another team to negotiate for their services. The NBA takes tampering very seriously and may impose stiff penalties if it is discovered, however the league will not investigate unless another team files tampering charges. Here are some examples:

* The Miami Heat were discovered to have tampered with Pat Riley in 1995 by negotiating with Riley while he was still head coach of the New York Knicks. The Heat "settled," and avoided league-imposed penalties, by compensating the Knicks with $1 million and their first round draft pick in 1996.
    * After Will Perdue left San Antonio in the 1999 offseason to sign with Chicago, he commented to the press about the possibility of the Bulls signing Tim Duncan and/or Grant Hill in 2000. The league considered this to be tampering, and issued Perdue a warning.

You may have noticed that when general managers and other team personnel talk to the press, they are careful to avoid talking about specific players who play for other teams. They do this in order to avoid tampering.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have heard the same that Maceo Baston will sign with the Raptors.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    Until he opts out of his deal, no one can talk to him. That would be tampering.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#92
    91. What is tampering?

Tampering is when a player or team directly or indirectly entices, induces or persuades anybody (player, general manager, etc.) who is under contract with another team to negotiate for their services. The NBA takes tampering very seriously and may impose stiff penalties if it is discovered, however the league will not investigate unless another team files tampering charges. Here are some examples:

* The Miami Heat were discovered to have tampered with Pat Riley in 1995 by negotiating with Riley while he was still head coach of the New York Knicks. The Heat "settled," and avoided league-imposed penalties, by compensating the Knicks with $1 million and their first round draft pick in 1996.
    * After Will Perdue left San Antonio in the 1999 offseason to sign with Chicago, he commented to the press about the possibility of the Bulls signing Tim Duncan and/or Grant Hill in 2000. The league considered this to be tampering, and issued Perdue a warning.

You may have noticed that when general managers and other team personnel talk to the press, they are careful to avoid talking about specific players who play for other teams. They do this in order to avoid tampering.
    Well I dunno anything about that - I just heard on TV that Mace is probably headed to join his former Maccabi teammate (again, but this time it's Parker). For his sake I hope Sam Mitchell plays him more consistently than Carlisle did.

I'm guessing here that "tampering" happens all the time. I'm also guessing that the "tampered" teams probably know about it most of the times, and I'll continue by guessing that they hardly ever do anything about it, cause well - they've "tampered" as well.

Specifically speaking - Maceo doesn't earn much in NBA terms - under $1mil/year. He has a serious career decision coming up where he can opt out and maybe get a raise, or a longer contract. But he isnt allowed to check it, according to the letter of the law. He's got to opt out first, and then feel the waters. That's demanding a lot from a guy who's not sure of his place in the NBA. Checking with other teams thru "back-channels" like friends and family, and old acquaintances seems like a pretty good option for Baston. In this case, Toronto can't be charged of "tampering" cause they never actually talked to Baston, and surely noone in Indiana can ever prove anything...

I hope they did offer him a contract because that would be a huge tampering violation and the penalties would be so huge the Raptors franchise for all intents and purporses would be shut down

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I hope they did offer him a contract because that would be a huge tampering violation and the penalties would be so huge the Raptors franchise for all intents and purporses would be shut down
    Yes, since we're the wronged party, instead of their draft picks disappearing like Minny's, I think we should get them instead.

Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Things like this happen all the time in the NBA. Talk is made to agents ahead of time, with deals decided later. As long as its not in writing, the league will turn the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Cleva View Post
    Things like this happen all the time in the NBA. Talk is made to agents ahead of time, with deals decided later. As long as its not in writing, the league will turn the other way.
    Even if I agree with your statement that is happens al the time. Do you really think the Raptors want Baston that badly that they would take such a risk.

I'm not buying this "TV report" for a second

Maceo is one of my favorite Pacers; I enjoy watching him play. However, with our current roster we sure don't need Maceo. Of course, by the end of the summer who knows?

My guess is he will move on to a team where he has a better chance for PT.

His agent has said that Maceo will probably opt out of his contract!

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...w_tidbits.html

Quote Originally Posted by Alpolloloco View Post
    There was already a rumor that the Raptors were interested in Jasikevicius, so if both guys get reunited with Anthony Parker I think I'm going to adept Toronto as my 2nd favourite NBA team!
    If you keep the Pacers as your favorite NBA team with Runi, Parker, and Maceo on the same team, I'll never question your loyalty again.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

A shame. He was one of the few guys I really hoped would be back next season.

Toronto's going to get more out of him than we did, that's for sure.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I hope Baston will get more playing time in Toronto but that team also has a glut of big man (Bosh/Rasho/Andrea/Garbo/Kris) so let's wait and see how many minutes are available for him.
    Maceo Baston's #1 fan on Pacers Digest!

I hope Baston will get more playing time in Toronto but that team also has a glut of big man (Bosh/Rasho/Andrea/Garbo/Kris) so let's wait and see how many minutes are available for him.
    Rasho and Humphries are garbage.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Do I detect alittle hatred for our northern NBA brothern?

Go on, UB. Tell us how you really feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    A shame. He was one of the few guys I really hoped would be back next season.

Toronto's going to get more out of him than we did, that's for sure.
    Agreed. And if he's partnered w/two of his former teammates again where all three have had success, Toronto could be one very interesting team to watch in the East next season.

Even if I agree with your statement that is happens al the time. Do you really think the Raptors want Baston that badly that they would take such a risk.

I'm not buying this "TV report" for a second
    Yes, cause it's a no-risk. There's no real way to prove injustice. Agents and 3rd parties can manipulate the media for all we know.

As much as I dont buy "TV reports" myself - well waddayaknow - this one may just turn out...

Baston would be crazy not to take it, tampering reports aside.

He did show something last year, albiet he showed it in INCREDIBLY limited time. I think that Baston has the ability to be a solid contributor off the bench next year for whomever he plays. If I were him I'd be wanting the year of my basketball life back that Carly stole last year. Maceo's lack of consistent PT and complete under utilization was one of the things that bothered me about RC the most last year.

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00 View Post
    I have heard the same that Maceo Baston will sign with the Raptors.

That's good news for the Raptors!!! PAcers are stupid if they lt him go. . .He will succeed over there

I'll not be happy to see him go.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    I'll not be happy to see him go.
    ditto.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yes! More minutes for Troy Murphy!

Quote Originally Posted by Sh4d3 View Post
    Yes! More minutes for Troy Murphy!
    yeah no doubt... uhg..

Here is the thing, If they are really gonna get rid of JO, we need to keep Baston. Not only that he needs to be playing big minutes. Some of the positive memories I had of the Pacers this year was with Jeff and Maceo on the floor together. And the dude always played hard. Big mistake letting him go. He could play a big part with the Pacers next year. Maybe even be a starter.

And that always bugged me too about Rick. why the hell wouldn't he play Maceo?