Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Firing Isiah caused Pacers rebuilding?

  1. #1
    Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,663
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Firing Isiah caused Pacers rebuilding?

    Well at least according to this article, this is the case:

    http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../1051/SPORTS03

    I really hope that the Pistons hire Isiah. I reallllllly do!

  2. #2
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,762

    Default Re: Firing Isiah caused Pacers rebuilding?

    Another example of revisionist history

  3. #3

    Default Re: Firing Isiah caused Pacers rebuilding?

    Yeah firing IT is why we have to rebuild 3 years later.

    I guess he forgot that we won 61 games in RC's first year and could have done that the second year if it wasn't for the brawl.

    IT is a great coach for teaching playes IMO and he is very creative on offense. Not much for strategy though IMO.

    Funny thing is that the article didn't go into why IT would be good. It just said that he did good in Indiana and that he won 10 more games than he should have with New York.

    All this is is a Piston fan wanting to have another piece of their history back. If they hire any former Piston as coach it should be Bill Laimbeer.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,392

    Default Re: Firing Isiah caused Pacers rebuilding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Another example of revisionist history
    You say it as if all revisionist history is bad...which, as a history major, I can safely say it is not. But in this case, yes, yes it's bad.

  5. #5
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,754

    Default Re: Firing Isiah caused Pacers rebuilding?

    this guy is an idiot we went into a major rebuilding effort after we drafted damon bailey and failed to capitalize on his basketball skill... we've been in a tailspin ever since, reaching the ECF several times and the finals once. this guy should do his homework
    This is the darkest timeline.

  6. #6
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Firing Isiah caused Pacers rebuilding?

    As soon as we traded for Ron (which was Isiah's idea in the first place) we started the rebuilding process. We had an optical illusion leading the East at the ASG and unsustainable 61 win season while rebuilding. Hey, people like cotton candy too, but it isn't very filling.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  7. #7
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,233

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Firing Isiah caused Pacers rebuilding?

    The Knicks have a better roster than the Pacers and finished below them in the standings.

  8. #8
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: Firing Isiah caused Pacers rebuilding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sh4d3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Knicks have a better roster than the Pacers and finished below them in the standings.
    How much of that better line up was out do to injuries?

  9. #9
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Firing Isiah caused Pacers rebuilding?

    Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How much of that better line up was out do to injuries?

  10. #10
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,959

    Default Re: Firing Isiah caused Pacers rebuilding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote










    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  11. #11
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,959

    Default Re: Firing Isiah caused Pacers rebuilding?

    As for the topic at hand, (and I can't believe I'm about to defend Drew Sharp), I didn't get the impression he was saying that firing Isiah caused rebuilding, he was just saying the situation is worse now than when he was here (which, for you sunshiners with your heads in the sand, is true.)

    It's the same argument that's been made in defense of Jim O'Brien the last week and a half.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  12. #12
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,233

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Firing Isiah caused Pacers rebuilding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As for the topic at hand, (and I can't believe I'm about to defend Drew Sharp), I didn't get the impression he was saying that firing Isiah caused rebuilding, he was just saying the situation is worse now than when he was here (which, for you sunshiners with your heads in the sand, is true.)

    It's the same argument that's been made in defense of Jim O'Brien the last week and a half.
    Yes, but it's also arguably worse than "the year we don't talk about."

  13. #13
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,959

    Default Re: Firing Isiah caused Pacers rebuilding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sh4d3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, but it's also arguably worse than "the year we don't talk about."
    Which means we should all give up and be Portland fans!
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  14. #14
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,233

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Firing Isiah caused Pacers rebuilding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Which means we should all give up and be Portland fans!
    :blazers: You mean you're not already? :blazers:

  15. #15
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Firing Isiah caused Pacers rebuilding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As for the topic at hand, (and I can't believe I'm about to defend Drew Sharp), I didn't get the impression he was saying that firing Isiah caused rebuilding, he was just saying the situation is worse now than when he was here (which, for you sunshiners with your heads in the sand, is true.)

    It's the same argument that's been made in defense of Jim O'Brien the last week and a half.
    But it would have been worse sooner if he'd stayed. Rick's first season with Ron was a basic non-event. Ron's only AS game, only DPOY came with Rick. The year before with Isiah was his spring meltdown. Every other pre-brawl item with Ron other than the Rip exchange basically comes from Isiah's final season. Riley, HD camera, photo smashing, flagrant points getting into the 2 game suspension area...that was Isiah's "calming" leadership.

    Rick came in and despite losing an AS center somehow managed to stave off this impending doom long enough to have a go at it.

    And honestly the way things were going in year 2 I think they would have been good again. That cup at that moment was a perfect storm. 58 minutes of hostile, rough play prior to that hadn't been an issue.

    Post-brawl was a different world.

    BTW, disagree all you want but which team was involved in a major player fight that got way out of control this year, the Pacers or the Pistons? Let's talk about Isiah's influence on players, indications that they restrain themselves or that they cop the "Bad Boys" attitude to the extreme?

  16. #16
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,959

    Default Re: Firing Isiah caused Pacers rebuilding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rick's first season with Ron was a basic non-event.
    would disagree with that (the ECF "migraine".)
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  17. #17
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,959

    Default Re: Firing Isiah caused Pacers rebuilding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sh4d3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    :blazers: You mean you're not already? :blazers:
    Well, it's not official yet. I'm not counting my chickens.

    If they manage to get Oden and Conley, get rid of Randolph, and factor in my brother played ball with their GM, they'd be pretty damn attractive.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  18. #18
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Firing Isiah caused Pacers rebuilding?

    Ron had issues with Rick pre-brawl.

    "Conduct detrimental to winning" December, 2003

    Refusing to board the team plane during the Miami series May, 2004

    ECF "migraines" to miss team practice May, 2004

    Walking into Conseco and declaring his plans to retire November, 2004

    His rap album BS that was associated with the previous entry

    Getting into a fist-fight with Jermaine O'Neal November, 2004

    And then there was sooooomething else he did that month. Can't quite remember what.

    But he was fine after that.

  19. #19
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Firing Isiah caused Pacers rebuilding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rick's first season with Ron was a basic non-event.
    Only in a bizarre alt-reality in which Ron took his medicine and stopped doing all the behind-the-scenes bull**** that plagued his entire time in Chicago, his time with Isiah, and the entire post-brawl time he spend with Rick.

    Yeah right.

    More likely, you're just in denial that "lockerroom Ron" had more to do with why that team wasn't ever going to win a championship than "on-court Ron" had to do with by helping get them to 61 wins and advancing in the playoffs (and if I hear anything about the Miami series again - where SVG decided he'd ignore Ron and let him do whatever he wanted as long as he triple-teamed and swarmed JO I'll puke.)

    PS - Hicks, you left out the technical foul in the very first preseason game where Rick pulled Ron from the game and Ron cursed at him, then sat in the bleachers in front of Larry Bird, and Bird had some harsh words for him. Sadly, that seems to be the last time Rick or Bird tried to take care of a player's on-court misbehavior. Something in that event left Rick neutered (probably because some of us know he asked Donnie to trade Ron in the fall of '03 and Donnie basically said, "you just coach the other 11, I'll handle him.") Brilliant.

    And back then, I was excited about having Rick here because I thought he'd have the backbone to put the Ron-Artest shenanigans to a stop. Funny how that turned out... Funny is a funny word.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    553

    Default Re: Firing Isiah caused Pacers rebuilding?

    There's a thread over at RealGM asking which team has the worst future. I believe the Pacers are coming up more than anyone else.

  21. #21
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,959

    Default Re: Firing Isiah caused Pacers rebuilding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2J View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's a thread over at RealGM asking which team has the worst future. I believe the Pacers are coming up more than anyone else.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  22. #22
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,754

    Default Re: Firing Isiah caused Pacers rebuilding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2J View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's a thread over at RealGM asking which team has the worst future. I believe the Pacers are coming up more than anyone else.
    SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!
    finally, we're going to win something
    This is the darkest timeline.

  23. #23
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: Firing Isiah caused Pacers rebuilding?

    Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!
    finally, we're going to win something
    I'm sure someone will swoop in at the last minute and take the victory from out desperate sweaty little hands.

  24. #24
    Raw Talent Robertmto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Nap
    Posts
    5,260
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Firing Isiah caused Pacers rebuilding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Miss You Buddy...
    STARBURY

    08 and Beyond

  25. #25
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,754

    Default Re: Firing Isiah caused Pacers rebuilding?

    Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sure someone will swoop in at the last minute and take the victory from out desperate sweaty little hands.
    well lately it has been the pistons that seem to rip victory from us, but if thats the case, i could live with the pistons completely bottoming out. sorry kstat.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •