Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Summer League for the Pacers?!

Default No Summer League for the Pacers?!

http://www.insidehoops.com/nba-summer-leagues.shtml

Insidehoops is reporting that, as of now, there is only slated to be one summer league, the one in Las Vegas, and there will be 21 NBA teams and the Chinese National Team. Sadly, the Pacers are one of the nine teams who won't be in attendence! What am I going to do with my summer!? And does this suggest we (TPTB I should say) aren't sure we're actually going to get a pick?

when will he ever learn? underwave's Avatar

Default Re: No Summer League for the Pacers?!

omg. what the h*ll is going on?

Mood

I don't know what it means. It could very well mean no pick I suppose.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll miss summer hoops on TV, but at least I don't have to hear the over hype of players that looked ok in summer league, but couldn't even make the roster.

...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

With the number of young players we have, I find that to be a bit stupid.

Ike and Shawne, especially, could use some game experience before the season starts.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

The only thing I can figure is maybe they feel since they already know what they have (at least vs. anything they might learn in summer league) with our young guys, so why bother? But it stills seems strange. Is this some kind of cost-saving thing? Otherwise, I'm struggling to figure it out.

Maybe they would rather the team use the time to develop in the areas that Obrien has told them to develop.

Maybe instead of sending half the team to Las Vegas, they want to keep them together to work on the new system.

Quote Originally Posted by Swingman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe they would rather the team use the time to develop in the areas that Obrien has told them to develop.

Maybe instead of sending half the team to Las Vegas, they want to keep them together to work on the new system.
    NBA rules prohibit that.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

well ok, just work on their own game separately.

I don't remember ever seeing us getting benefit from summer play. Invariably our only guaranteed players end up maybe playing a game, before sitting out with a minor injury. What ends up happening is a couple guys play well enough to get invited to camp, and they get built up so much on here that people get majorly ****ed when they don't make the roster.

I think we can get by without that. The only bright spot I ever remember from Summer play was Adrian Griffin, who we let sign somewhere else.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    The only thing I can figure is maybe they feel since they already know what they have (at least vs. anything they might learn in summer league) with our young guys, so why bother? But it stills seems strange. Is this some kind of cost-saving thing? Otherwise, I'm struggling to figure it out.
    There is absolutely 100% no way that JOB "knows what they have" right now, not as it works in his system. I don't even know how he could have a system just yet in fact, you have to assume that whatever he does will still be adjusted to what the talent can best do as a group.

Shawne, Orien and Ike could really use some work especially. It's not like they got so much PT last year that they are burned out.

Maybe JOB just doesn't have the staff in place for the logistics of it all? Still it's strange to me too. As Anthem points out, this is the only way till camp to get some pieces officially together with the coaching staff to work on stuff.

Most guys still seek out other "camps" and gyms to gather and play games in order to improve what they want to work on, but it's not team supervised in a proper sense.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    I don't remember ever seeing us getting benefit from summer play. Invariably our only guaranteed players end up maybe playing a game, before sitting out with a minor injury. What ends up happening is a couple guys play well enough to get invited to camp, and they get built up so much on here that people get majorly ****ed when they don't make the roster.

I think we can get by without that. The only bright spot I ever remember from Summer play was Adrian Griffin, who we let sign somewhere else.
    I think Danny improved last summer, and the year before he got to work with Ron who was shaking off some rust himself.

Guys play 4-5 of the 6-7 games typically, not just 1.

Yes, James White looked solid in the summer and ended up off the team, but that was because Rawle had not yet had a strong camp and wasn't with the Pacers summer team (could have used it though).

But it was clear even in summer that while Snap could score he couldn't defend.

You're right, it's not a disaster, but given the apparent minimal effort to participate it seems odd. Wouldn't it be nice to see how Shawne fares against Noah, stuff like that? We certainly got to see Shawne holding his own when rebounding vs T Thomas last summer, something that did seem to hold true in the season when Shawne got to play.

Well, I seem to remember David Harrison abusing Andrew Bogut a couple years ago. So no, I don't take anything that happens in the summer league as worthwhile anymore.

Regardless of how they do in the games, Summer League seems appealing because the guys can actually get some coaching in a structured environment before the training camp.

It seems odd that there's only one summer camp this year. Usually there are 3 or more. In the past, some teams have sent their guys to two camps.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Summer League seems appealing because the guys can actually get some coaching in a structured environment before the training camp.
    Yeah, but when have we even taken it seriously from a coaching standpoint. Every year, we have somebody like Dan Burke out there. I seem to remember even having Mel Daniels do it.

While I think the argument can be made that benefit can be gained from it, I don't think the Pacers have ever taken it seriously.

Yeah, but when have we even taken it seriously from a coaching standpoint. Every year, we have somebody like Dan Burke out there. I seem to remember even having Mel Daniels do it.

While I think the argument can be made that benefit can be gained from it, I don't think the Pacers have ever taken it seriously.
    Can't argue with that.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Children,

Surely you are all aware by now that you believe everything you read at your own peril.

Rest assured, the Pacers will be fielding a summer league team.

MJB

Well, I seem to remember David Harrison abusing Andrew Bogut a couple years ago. So no, I don't take anything that happens in the summer league as worthwhile anymore.
    Summer league is David's time to shine, no foul outs.

Mood

Smile Re: No Summer League for the Pacers?!

Quote Originally Posted by mboyle1313 View Post
    Children,

Surely you are all aware by now that you believe everything you read at your own peril.

MJB
    Good to have you back, and coming out swinging no less.

I remember that too. Harrison's finest moment. And how great Snap was going to be. But these guys could certainly use the work. So all in all it's better for them to play under conditions that are not of their own choosing.

Some older pros could also use summer work such as Murphy who needs to be reacquainted with the paint area

Children,

MJB
    Actually we tend to take info off the net and chew it until it is as fine as dust
    and then we move on to the next partial piece of information. It is the internet way.
    :-)

Thanks for the info.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

streets ahead

Children,

MJB
    could you go to the vescey Laker trade thread and calm a few people down about the trade never happening, blah blah blah. i'm sure mal would appreciate it
    This is the darkest timeline.

orlando with no summer league aswell? WTF? dang...I guess the teams with not many rookies coming in don't need em? maybe the orlando summer league is still going to happen and that's where the pacers will be (like last year)
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyPacersLeft View Post
    orlando with no summer league aswell? WTF? dang...I guess the teams with not many rookies coming in don't need em? maybe the orlando summer league is still going to happen and that's where the pacers will be (like last year)
    That's what I thought at first, but 21 teams (22 with the Chinese)...that's more than they ever have. I mean, that's a hell of a summer league. Orlando had what, six or seven? I want...I want to believe.

yea...its magic,pacers,bulls,nets,bobcats and one other team i cant remember...I saw JO down here i was like wtf is he in sl now? LOL
    but he said he was just working out with the team
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER