View Poll Results: What do you think of Daniels moving to PG?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • He'll be a good starting PG

15 31.91%
  • He's a backup PG at best

11 23.40%
  • He won't last long at PG

8 17.02%
  • It's just talk, he'll never play PG

13 27.66%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daniels at PG

Default Daniels at PG

What does everyone think of the possibility of Daniels at PG?

I like the idea if his ballhandling and passing skills are up for the challenge.

I think the big benefit is having a good defender at the point, which is probably why JOb is going to try him there.

It's a question mark how well it will work IMO because he'll need to work on his PG skills I would think and will need to at least become a threat to score from outside given JOb's love for the 3.

Mood

Default Re: Daniels at PG

Didn't he have a stretch for Nellie at the point when Nash was hurt where he put up something like 20-5-5? That's enough for me to consider it could potentially work.

Sports Logo

I know he played some extened PG minutes in Dallas early in his career....but that was a couple of seasons ago.

To tell you the truth.....I think he can be a solid backup PG. But until I see him play extended minutes at the PG spot.....I can't say that he would be a good Starting PG.

I wouldn't mind trying him out there for some backup minutes. I really liked what I saw when we had him in the lineup with Dunleavy......there was great ball movement that I really loved.
    Last edited by CableKC; 06-09-2007 at 08:02 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I voted, but my choice is somewhere between the top 2.

I think he's better than 'backup at best', but I don't think he's had enough experience as the starting PG, to where I can say at this point in time that he'll be a 'good starting PG'

I'd need to see more intangibles, does he know where people need to be, can he make a good entry pass to the post.

Can he start and play 35+ minutes, and go against the opposing teams' starting unit, and keep his assist to turnover ratio down, and limit mistakes.

I absolutely believe he has the tools to be a PG, but it is yet to be determined if he's a starting PG, or a combo guard that can play there if you need him to.

If he can stay on the floor (and we get rid of Jamaal), then I'm all for it. But he's had injury problems and I would hate to build the offense around him (as ball handler, that is).

You missed an option in the poll:

"If Tinsley is our only other option, Ill take Daniels."

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You missed an option in the poll:

"If Tinsley is our only other option, Ill take Daniels."
    I thought that part was obvious since we're not in the FA market and I don't think we'll be getting a PG in the draft even if we get the 19th pick.

I missed the part where O'Brien said he was gonna try Daniels at the 1. I dont see anything in the other threads, anyone got a link?

Hypothetically, I could see it working. But we don't have enough info yet to know.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I'd do it. . .put him at the point cause he can penetrate. . .and you know he won't settle for jumpers

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Hypothetically, I could see it working. But we don't have enough info yet to know.
    Yep, and LG's right, I don't like the idea of planning for it when we don't know how dependable his health will be.

Let's put it this way. Assume we don't or can't trade Tinsley. Would you be comfortable not re-signing McLeod (or getting a comparable backup point) in favor of Daniels and Army being the backups? I don't know if I'm comfortable with that even if we do keep McLeod.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

streets ahead

theres no middle ground in the answers so i chose 1 because i'd like to see him start at PG a few games this season. i think a lineup of daniels, dunleavy, granger, odom and bynum would be quite interesting to watch (obviously if the trade goes thru).
    This is the darkest timeline.

Kegboy, the way you phrased it was kind of weird but in answer to your question: no. I think we should resign Mcleod, but not because I would be uncomfortable with Daniels as our backup. Daniels has nothing to do with me wanting to resing Mcleod, I just want him instead of DA.

Hypothetically, with the team we have, I would want Daniels starting and Mcleod backing him up and I would be comfortable with that. I understand Tinsley is better than both of them, I just dont want to watch him play anymore and think Daniels could be more than serviceable. DA just needs to retire.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    Kegboy, the way you phrased it was kind of weird but in answer to your question: no. I think we should resign Mcleod, but not because I would be uncomfortable with Daniels as our backup. Daniels has nothing to do with me wanting to resing Mcleod, I just want him instead of DA.

Hypothetically, with the team we have, I would want Daniels starting and Mcleod backing him up and I would be comfortable with that. I understand Tinsley is better than both of them, I just dont want to watch him play anymore and think Daniels could be more than serviceable. DA just needs to retire.
    So you're comfortable enough with his knee to hand him the keys? I think he can play point just fine in Obie's system, but with our medical staff's track record the last few years I can't say I could make that move.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    So you're comfortable enough with his knee to hand him the keys? I think he can play point just fine in Obie's system, but with our medical staff's track record the last few years I can't say I could make that move.
    We apparently were comfortable giving the keys to Tinsley, who isn't an iron man himself (to say the least), so I wouldn't mind Daniels as our starting PG (or give Saras a second chance ... with consistent starting minutes ).
    Maceo Baston's #1 fan on Pacers Digest!

streets ahead

how about having our starting PG be penny hard.. crap wrong thread.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not feelin' it...Hope I'm wrong!

I just keep having these flashback of Fred Jones being forced to play point guard in the play-offs and waking in a cold sweat!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

I don't remember him ever starting at point guard. I think it's a wivestail. I looked at the boxscores from his starts and he was always coupled with Steve Nash, Devin Harris or Jason Terry. He may have spent some time at the one but I can't find anything indicating he ever started there.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

http://www.82games.com/03DAL4C.HTM

http://www.82games.com/04DAL5C.HTM

I don't think these help but I could not find anything better

Wait...
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/player...r=2004&sType=3
    Playing as guard but that could be shooting guard. Played 38 mpg though so that is starter minutes. His guard stats and starter stats are the same. So as a rookie he played well but the team.....not so much(see82games.com stat)
    Last edited by Major Cold; 06-10-2007 at 06:56 AM.

Mood

Sports Logo

Trade the Bum.

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    I'm not feelin' it...Hope I'm wrong!

I just keep having these flashback of Fred Jones being forced to play point guard in the play-offs and waking in a cold sweat!
    Ron Mercer!

Ron Mercer!
    :freakout:

Don't ever do that again.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

woman without a team

Ron Mercer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    :freakout:

Don't ever do that again.
    Ron Mercer!

Is that better?

Quis did not get extended minutes at PG is Dallas in his rookie year. He got some time there and may have played a couple of games as a starter there due to injuries to others. During the Mavs last 15 games or so he was inserted in the starting lineup at SG while Finley was out. He played some PG when Nash got breathers. When Fin came back from his injury, Daniles remained in the lineup and Fin played SF with Antoine Walker moving to center. Typical Nellie ball. Nellie allowed Daniels to jack up shots between 15 and 25 per game which actually took away from Nash, Dirk, and Fin. Result was a loss to the beatup Kings in 5 games in round 1. I think Nellie saw the hand writing on the wall with that version of the Mavs. They would have lost playing their vets or young guys. I wonder if he was getting Daniels experience. He was able to put up some nice stats.

Anyway, I don't think Daniels is anywhere near a long term answer at PG. He can handle the ball and at times will get assists. But I don't think his versatility translates into running an offense as a PG. He is more adapt at creating his own shots in the lane as opposed to getting the others involved with open shots. He is a decent defender but most PG's will blow right by him with their quickness. If the Pacrs unload Tinsley, I could see Daniels filling the role until the Pacers find their permanent PG. I think his best role is off the bench using his versatility to play 3 positions. Best case is he develops a good outside shot and becomes the starting SG.