Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's the best draft pick we could get for Foster?

Default Re: What's the best draft pick we could get for Foster?

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not underrating Foster. He is what he is: the first big off the bench on a typical contending team.
    This I can agree with. But considering how few legitmate contenders there are right now and how slim the talent level is at the 5 position in the NBA today, Foster could be a starter on many teams (like he is here). This is why I think Foster could fetch us a pick in the 20's.

And for the record, I dont think the Pacers should trade Foster for a pick unless its an absolute steal, I'm talking 15 or lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    Matter of fact, the more I think about a guy that can't make a lay-up (Foster) costing TWO first round picks, the sicker I get.
    I'd much rather have Foster than Vonteego Cummings and Troy Murphy.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    then you my friend know nothing about basketball
    This is the darkest timeline.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

of course, you could have hypothetically drafted Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker with those same picks...

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Hey now, I'm not saying I would prefer Cummings. I'm not THAT crazy! The Pacers selected Cummings (for GS, if I remember right) as a part of the pre-agreed to deal.

Just ask yourself this - Is Jeff Foster worth TWO first round picks? Heck no.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    Just ask yourself this - Is Jeff Foster worth TWO first round picks?
    A 20th and 27th, if I remember correctly.

If my memory DOES turn out to be correct, then the answer would be yes. Foster was definitely worth the 20th and 27th pick.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd guess Foster would bring you a pick between 35-45 -don't see any team giving up a #1 plus they'd need a 5mil + salary slot.

If my memory DOES turn out to be correct, then the answer would be yes. Foster was definitely worth the 20th and 27th pick.
    Actually, a 14 and a 26.

Also, the pick we gave up for Tinsley was a 21 and turned into Boris Diaw.

And the pick we gave up for Tom Owens was a 2 and turned into Sam Bowie. So, of course, we didn't lose anything there.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    Ok Y2J is obviously delusional, but the rest of you are seriously underestimating the value of a player like Foster and overestimating the value of draft picks (which like UB said is common around this time of the year). Saying you couldnt get anything better than a 40 or so for Foster is insane. Most players picked that high are worthless and are out of the league in 1 or 2 seasons. Even mid-20s picks arent guaranteed to turn out to be as good as Foster. Danny Granger was a steal at 16, not the standard, think about that.
    No way I'd trade a first round pick for someone with the injury history that Jeff has. As far as I'm concerned it's a miracle he played as much as he did last year.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    And the pick we gave up for Tom Owens was a 2 and turned into Sam Bowie. So, of course, we didn't lose anything there.
    Ps would have been smart enough to take Jordan tho right?
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Okay I know Jeff Foster is a fan favorite but I'd see if the Spurs would like to acquire the home town boy. For pick #28 and Brent Barry.

If the Pacers are rebuilding it clears Foster's contract one year sooner as Barry has one year at 5.5 mil left on his contract. If Bynum is acquired from the Lakers clears more playing time for Bynum and Diogu.

No one will take Murphy's deal . If Kwame Brown is accepted by Walsh/Bird in the Laker deal his and Barry's deal clear over 14 mil off the cap in a year.

The Pacers with pick 28 and 19 from Lakers deal could add 2 more young rebuilding blocks. Just a thought many might think Foster is worth more -I'm not sure, but we know he is the type of player the Spurs like .

If we are rebuilding lets just get it started now, pieces like Bynum, Granger, Diogu , Williams , maybe Farmar and 2picks in this years draft could be a good start.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto View Post
    Ps would have been smart enough to take Jordan tho right?
    They weren't even smart enough to hold onto the pick that could have been Jordan.

IOW, I wouldn't bet anything significant on it.

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00 View Post
    Okay I know Jeff Foster is a fan favorite but I'd see if the Spurs would like to acquire the home town boy. For pick #28 and Brent Barry.

If the Pacers are rebuilding it clears Foster's contract one year sooner as Barry has one year at 5.5 mil left on his contract. If Bynum is acquired from the Lakers clears more playing time for Bynum and Diogu.

No one will take Murphy's deal . If Kwame Brown is accepted by Walsh/Bird in the Laker deal his and Barry's deal clear over 14 mil off the cap in a year.

The Pacers with pick 28 and 19 from Lakers deal could add 2 more young rebuilding blocks. Just a thought many might think Foster is worth more -I'm not sure, but we know he is the type of player the Spurs like .

If we are rebuilding lets just get it started now, pieces like Bynum, Granger, Diogu , Williams , maybe Farmar and 2picks in this years draft could be a good start.
    Actually? I'd be interested in that trade. It seems like San Antonio wins out there, so maybe they should include a little more in order to make it totally even. Maybe throw in that James White fellow?

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sh4d3 View Post
    They weren't even smart enough to hold onto the pick that could have been Jordan.

IOW, I wouldn't bet anything significant on it.
    Ehh so its obviouosly not a phase...
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Actually? I'd be interested in that trade. It seems like San Antonio wins out there, so maybe they should include a little more in order to make it totally even. Maybe throw in that James White fellow?

Hey, then maybe we could trade Ike for the #11 pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post

Hey, then maybe we could trade Ike for the #11 pick.
    Oh, that's cold.

Seriously, what kind of evil mind thinks up that kind of thing?

Enjoy your time at PD!

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Of guys drafted between 80 and 2001 50% taken in the 2nd half of round one were OUT OF THE NBA in 5 years.

So yeah, considering Jeff is still playing and is extremely productive in at least one area of the sport I'd say he's equal to a TYPICAL 20th and 27th pick combo. One would be off the team and the other would have a 60% or more chance of being AT BEST what Foster is.

Manu and Parker are the extreme exceptions, not the rule. You've got about a 6% chance of pulling a star out of either of those picks, and getting 2 stars with those 2 picks? 0.4% chance roughly.

So there you are without Foster but counting on Malcom Mackey and Doug Edwards to save the day. Or Ed Gray and Keith Booth.

Oh, that's cold.

Seriously, what kind of evil mind thinks up that kind of thing?
    What? It'd be just like the Jax switcheroo, except this time we'd get Murphleavy for free!!!

Ok, I just have a dumb question. If the teams that would want this guy [Foster] are contending teams, then why are some of you so eager for us to trade him? Do you believe that he's one of the only players that are worth anything? I think there's a home for every player on this team on someone else's roster. Hell, I think there's players on this team that can get us a better pick than Foster can, not that I'm doubting Foster can get is a decent pick.

As most of you know, any team can become a contending team in the East. With that said, and the fact that contending teams need a Jeff Foster like player on their team, I'd rather be the one to keep Foster and try to be a contending team by moving the pieces that don't exactly fit the puzzle. As opposed to moving a piece that fits now for sure just because he can get us a draft pick that might or might not turn into a good player. There's other guys on this team that haven't found a role here, or may have fallen out of their role here that would make a little more sense to trade. But given the fact that we could be losing Baston (our other hustle big man), I wouldn't be so quick to pull the trigger and move Jeff.

What... Was that too logical or something?

Mood

I don't want to trade Jeff either. He's not the damaged goods he's made out to be, nor is he anywhere NEAR the top of my list of players who should leave. In fact he's in the bottom-3.

Agreed. We're in the business of trading to get better. Trading Foster just because he's a player somebody would want doesn't mean we trade him. We're trying to make ourselves better, not other teams better. If we have players that we want/need to get rid of, and another team has a want/need for that player, and they have someone we could use in return, then fine we have a deal. But trading players that aren't doing anything but helping the team just for the sake of doing so because he's tradable makes no sense to me.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00 View Post
    Ohhhh... I'd do that.

But I'm not the best person to comment on this - I still wish the Pacers would've traded Artest for Brent Barry back in the 2003 preseason when that rumor was hot.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you