Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the best draft pick we could get for Foster?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What's the best draft pick we could get for Foster?

Late 1st round...25 or higher.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Y2J View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone who seriously doesn't think someone as useful as Jeff Foster could net a 1st rounder is either (A) Delusional, or (B) A Pistons homer still upset that his team got mauled by a mediocre Cavs team.

Amazing rebounder, amazing hustler, great attitude, very good defender, fairly efficient scorer. He wont get you a lottery pick, obviously, but he's well worth a pick in the 20's.

If I felt like it I could look up some past draft day trades and see what type of players fetch what number pick.
    Jeff Foster for hall of fame?

Tell you what, assuming they're both traded, we'll see who nets more value: Rasheed Wallace, or Jeff foster.

In the meantime, I realize you're trying to make a name for yourself by bringing me up in every single post you make, but give it a rest. I know I'm your idol, but this is taking it a tad too far.

maybe if donnie agreed to take an unwanted MLE-level contract in return, I could see Foster going for a pick 25 or lower. But that's with strings attached.

Jeff Foster is what you hope your 7th or 8th man will be when you finally get to an elite level. He's still in the rotation, just not part of the core. That kind of player you're hoping to draft at the later pick, probably 2nd round. While Foster already IS at the level you hope your project rookie will one day become, he also comes with a heftier price tag, wheras you can draft guys with similar potential at bargain-basement prices.

If there was a team that thought they were a Jeff Foster away from a title, a late 1st might be worth it.

Houston is likely the best bet, but I bet they're aiming to get a scoring guard with their pick. I also highly doubt Phoenix wants another big man that can't score.

Golden State is also a possibility, if the Pacers want to take on some more dead weight, maybe adonal foyle.
    Last edited by Kstat; 06-09-2007 at 09:32 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Jeff Foster for hall of fame?

Tell you what, assuming they're both traded, we'll see who nets more value: Rasheed Wallace, or Jeff foster.

In the meantime, I realize you're trying to make a name for yourself by bringing me up in every single post you make, but give it a rest. I know I'm your idol, but this is taking it a tad too far.

maybe if donnie agreed to take an unwanted MLE-level contract in return, I could see Foster going for a pick 25 or lower. But that's with strings attached.

Jeff Foster is what you hope your 7th or 8th man will be when you finally get to an elite level. He's still in the rotation, just not part of the core. That kind of player you're hoping to draft at the later pick, probably 2nd round. While Foster already IS at the level you hope your project rookie will one day become, he also comes with a heftier price tag, wheras you can draft guys with similar potential at bargain-basement prices.

If there was a team that thought they were a Jeff Foster away from a title, a late 1st might be worth it.

Houston is likely the best bet, but I bet they're aiming to get a scoring guard with their pick. I also highly doubt Phoenix wants another big man that can't score.

Golden State is also a possibility, if the Pacers want to take on some more dead weight, maybe adonal foyle.
    Fact - Foster would've started on the Pistons, and, while you still would've lost the series, it wouldn't have been such an embarrassing loss as the team would've at least put up a fight on the boards and would've at least guarded the basket, something nobody on the Pistons did. Sheed & Webber = worst defensive front court in the league.

And for the record - Sheed has what we call negative value at this point in time. His negatives - age, declining production, horrible attitude, monster contract - outweigh the positives he brings to the table. The only way you're getting anything of real value for Sheed is if Dumars takes back a bad contract in return. Troy Murphy & the #19 we get from the Lakers for Sheed, Amir Johnson, and a future 1st is fair.

oh yeah, I forgot: sheed is a horrible defender, too.

so, there's no way Dumars gets any value for him, correct?
    Last edited by Kstat; 06-09-2007 at 09:44 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Banned

oh yeah, I forgot: sheed is a horrible defender, too.

so, there's no way Dumars gets any value for him, correct?
    At his salary, no way. He's an MLE-caliber player (14/7, 43% shooting, average defense) making All-Star money. He'll be 33 when the season stars, and he annually leads the league in tech's. Call it a hunch, but I don't think teams are lining up to trade for him. If he goes, he's going for pennies on the dollar. An expiring contract and a mid 1st, tops.

ok.

I think that's the first time I've ever seen anybody use Jeff Foster and "scorer" in the same post.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Y2J View Post
    Fact - Foster would've started on the Pistons, and, while you still would've lost the series, it wouldn't have been such an embarrassing loss as the team would've at least put up a fight on the boards and would've at least guarded the basket, something nobody on the Pistons did. Sheed & Webber = worst defensive front court in the league.

And for the record - Sheed has what we call negative value at this point in time. His negatives - age, declining production, horrible attitude, monster contract - outweigh the positives he brings to the table. The only way you're getting anything of real value for Sheed is if Dumars takes back a bad contract in return. Troy Murphy & the #19 we get from the Lakers for Sheed, Amir Johnson, and a future 1st is fair.
    Speaking of delusional...

I'd add more but I ain't looking to get suspended or anything.

You only get a first rd pick for Foster if you're taking on another team's dead weight - a bad salary or something.

Straight up I'd say you're looking at a pick starting around 40.

Well, unless it's Isiah - considering he gave up 2 expiring contracts AND a high 2nd rd pick for Mo Taylor (of course he didn't know where the 2nd would be at the time). But I'm talking about GM's with a brain.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I wish Y2J was right because I like Jeff Foster, but we all know the truth.

Sheed > Foster...and it's not close. The only thing Foster is better at is rebounding and drinking milk.

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    You only get a first rd pick for Foster if you're taking on another team's dead weight - a bad salary or something.

Straight up I'd say you're looking at a pick starting around 40.

Well, unless it's Isiah - considering he gave up 2 expiring contracts AND a high 2nd rd pick for Mo Taylor (of course he didn't know where the 2nd would be at the time). But I'm talking about GM's with a brain.
    I was thinking Jeff for Lee and #23? Makes sense, why wait for Lee to gain all that experience when you can have the finished product (minus the offensive game and with a bad hip) right now!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I wish Y2J was right because I like Jeff Foster, but we all know the truth.

Sheed > Foster...and it's not close. The only thing Foster is better at is rebounding and drinking milk.
    Wait, was he saying Jeff would start over Sheed? I assumed he meant Webber (which I don't agree with either, but it makes more sense.)

Ok Y2J is obviously delusional, but the rest of you are seriously underestimating the value of a player like Foster and overestimating the value of draft picks (which like UB said is common around this time of the year). Saying you couldnt get anything better than a 40 or so for Foster is insane. Most players picked that high are worthless and are out of the league in 1 or 2 seasons. Even mid-20s picks arent guaranteed to turn out to be as good as Foster. Danny Granger was a steal at 16, not the standard, think about that.

Kstat, you of all people should understand the value of a good rebounder. Im sure the Pistons were missing Ben Wallace's rebounding while the Cavs with Verajao (who plays very similar to Foster) were out-hustling them on the boards. Granted, Big Ben is a little over-rated but still. Oh and how many times did Foster out rebound both of the Wallaces combined? I seem to remember Foster having a couple of 15-20 rebound games against you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Wait, was he saying Jeff would start over Sheed? I assumed he meant Webber (which I don't agree with either, but it makes more sense.)
    Maybe I missed something, but I saw mostly slams on Sheed and praising of Foster. One small reference to Webber.

OK, maybe he is talking the C position. As for Webber v Jeff, it's debateable.

For the right team, Foster gets you a late first round pick. It would be surprising to me if he got you anything above #20 even though he is more valuable than the average #20 pick.

Don't confuse the perceived value of first round picks with the value of the underlying players. These GM's like to gamble and think they can pick a diamond in the rough.

Banned

I can't believe people still so massively overrate Rasheed Wallace. After his past 2 playoff collapses (both physically and mentally) I figured everyone finally realized what I've known all along - he's nothing more than a mentally weak glorified role player with a horrible attitude.

14 & 7 people....don't give me that crap about numbers not meaning anything......7 rebounds clearly shows the guys a huge liability on the glass....and guess what? Rebounding was probably the deciding factor in the ECF.

For the record, I meant Foster replacing Chris "Stick A Fork In Me" Webber at center.
    Last edited by Y2J; 06-09-2007 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    the rest of you are seriously underestimating the value of a player like Foster and overestimating the value of draft picks (which like UB said is common around this time of the year). Saying you couldnt get anything better than a 40 or so for Foster is insane. Most players picked that high are worthless and are out of the league in 1 or 2 seasons. Even mid-20s picks arent guaranteed to turn out to be as good as Foster. Danny Granger was a steal at 16, not the standard, think about that.
    This is where I'm coming from as well.

sheed blocked 4 fewer shots than the entire Cavs roster, and had more steals than any player not named LeBron....

but yeah, he sucked.
    Last edited by Kstat; 06-09-2007 at 10:56 PM.

sheed . . . sucked.
    Not true! The way he flipped out and cost the Pistons the game was my favorite play of the best playoffs in years!

I was like:

Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I like to see if we could get Haywood from the Wizards for Foster. Maybe with some adjustments we could obtain their 2nd rnd pick, so what about:

Foster
    Daniels
    Greene

for

Haywood
    Daniels
    Hayes
    #47 pick

Haywood has more offensive skills than Foster and is bigger force down low on the defensive end than Jeff while Jeff beats him in the rebounding category and hustling. Daniels gives us a good backup PG with above average defense while Hayes could be a nice shooter off the bench.
    Maceo Baston's #1 fan on Pacers Digest!

streets ahead

After the Suns finally realize that their run and gun style alone wont win them a championship. Besides SA, who else is standing in their way of winning a title? Dallas?
    except phoenix is looking to dump salary. if they trade marion, i could see them adding foster. i also think kstat is mostly right, although i think we could get a couple of firsts from the monarchs.

i don't see jeff alone getting a pick, but i could see houston in trading a couple of parts sending a pick our way, if they don't use it to get artest
    This is the darkest timeline.

Y2J, after Sheed kicked our *** in '04 and '05, we learned our lesson about underestimating him.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    There is nothing that is more over-valued this time of year than draft picks.
    I don't know about that. It seems the Pacers under-value theirs. Remember, they gave up two frst round picks for Foster (First round pick Vonteego Cummings in the same draft, and a future first round pick.), and gave up this years first rounder for Harrington.

Nope. No over-valuing there.

Matter of fact, the more I think about a guy that can't make a lay-up (Foster) costing TWO first round picks, the sicker I get.
    Last edited by Tom White; 06-09-2007 at 11:21 PM.

Kstat, you of all people should understand the value of a good rebounder. Im sure the Pistons were missing Ben Wallace's rebounding while the Cavs with Verajao (who plays very similar to Foster) were out-hustling them on the boards. Granted, Big Ben is a little over-rated but still. Oh and how many times did Foster out rebound both of the Wallaces combined? I seem to remember Foster having a couple of 15-20 rebound games against you guys.

I'm not underrating Foster. He is what he is: the first big off the bench on a typical contending team.

And yes, i know the typical late 1st doesn't always pan out. I'm also aware that guys like Tayshaun Prince routinely fall to that range. And most any GM worth his salt will believe in his talent evaluation skills to take that gamble.

and the reason we lost to the Cavs was LeBron James. Rebounding as a factor wasn't in the same zip code.
    Last edited by Kstat; 06-09-2007 at 11:22 PM.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    I don't know about that. It seems the Pacers under-value theirs. Remember, they gave up two frst round picks for Foster (First round pick Vonteego Cummings in the same draft, and a future first round pick.), and gave up this years first rounder for Harrington.

Nope. No over-valuing there.

Matter of fact, the more I think about a guy that can't make a lay-up (Foster) costing TWO first round picks, the sicker I get.
    not to mention we gave up vonteego. that guy puts jeff's game to shame.

also we traded a pick in 07 after the 06 draft, ub specifically said picks this time of year - meaning in the weeks before the current draft.
    This is the darkest timeline.