Thread: Insider Request: Draft notes and rumors

Default Insider Request: Draft notes and rumors

Link

Anyone?

Thanks

Default Re: Insider Request: Draft notes and rumors

Wow, we haven't had one of these in a while.

Here you go:

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog...name=ford_chad

Here are a few trade rumors along with updates from the NBA workout scene:

• One possible destination for Ron Artest this summer? Houston, to be reunited with his former coach Rick Adelman.

I'm told the Rockets have been quietly putting out feelers about Artest, and the price might be right. I hear it would cost the Rockets Bob Sura (he has only $1 million in salary protection next year), Kirk Snyder, Vasilis Spanoulis and this year's first-round draft pick.

With Artest entering a player option year on his contract in the summer of 2008, it may be time to take the risk.

• The Celtics' Danny Ainge traveled to Los Angeles on Wednesday to take a look at Yi Jianlian in a private workout. Yi worked out for nearly two hours in a gym by himself and then spent several hours with Ainge.

The same drill was repeated on Thursday with the Atlanta Hawks GM Billy Knight. On Saturday the Bulls will get a look at Yi.

The feedback from the workouts has been positive. Yi looks great in that environment. The question is whether he has the toughness to play that way when you put nine other players on the floor.

Next, Yi's camp will sit back and gauge feedback. If none of those teams commit to drafting Yi, then Sacramento likely will be the next team to visit.
    If Boston is passing on Yi, I think that means we might see a trade coming.

There's talk that the Suns -- to slash payroll -- might be willing to take the No. 5 pick, Theo Ratliff's expiring contract and Delonte West for Shawn Marion. That would make Paul Pierce happy.

With the No. 5 pick, the Suns could replace Marion with Yi, Jeff Green or Al Thornton. In the Suns' system, all three of those guys could play the four.
    Another dark horse in the Yi sweepstakes might be Portland, which is trying to get another top 10 draft pick. As I've mentioned before, the Bulls seem like a possible trading partner, with Zach Randolph involved.

Can you imagine the huge front line of Greg Oden, LaMarcus Aldridge and Yi? Wow.

• There have been questions about Big Baby Glen Davis' weight.
    He's worked out in Philly and New Jersey, and team sources say he came in just a hair under 300 pounds (298, to be exact).

But he has a couple of factors in his favor.

One, he measured out at a decent height. Some predicted he could be as short as 6-6 in socks. Instead he measured 6-7¾ in socks, meaning he's 6-9 in shoes.

Second, Davis also recorded a body fat of less than 12 percent. That's actually not too bad, given his size.

Said one NBA scout, "He is not fat like Rodney Rogers or Tractor Traylor, but just big. He should have played D-line on the football team."

Luther Head, T Mac, Battier, Artest, and Yao would be one hell of a lineup.

Yeah, that Boston deal makes me nervous.

I'd think they'd rather have Odom than Marion, but it's hard to say.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Wherever Artest goes, I view it as follows:

Year One = Fun to watch because of the talent
    Year Two + = Fun to watch him destroy what they have

Happened here, happened in Sacramento.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wherever Artest goes, I view it as follows:

Year One = Fun to watch because of the talent
    Year Two + = Fun to watch him destroy what they have

Happened here, happened in Sacramento.

He should just get traded once a year. Rent-a-psycho.

The feedback from the workouts has been positive. Yi looks great in that environment. The question is whether he has the toughness to play that way when you put nine other players on the floor.
    Sounds like Darko. I wouldn't stand for a private workout where he doesn't play with anybody. I'm sure that's how Skita ended up as a top-5 pick, when after seeing him for 30 seconds in a preseason game I knew he wouldn't cut it.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Sounds like Darko. I wouldn't stand for a private workout where he doesn't play with anybody. I'm sure that's how Skita ended up as a top-5 pick, when after seeing him for 30 seconds in a preseason game I knew he wouldn't cut it.
    I've actually seen him play in some of the Chinese national playoff games they show on NBA TV. He looks really impressive. Huge and agile. Wets threes and dribbles by guys. Something like Bargnani.

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    I've actually seen him play in some of the Chinese national playoff games they show on NBA TV. He looks really impressive. Huge and agile. Wets threes and dribbles by guys. Something like Bargnani.
    Except Bargnani was playing against pros in the Euroleague, and Yi was playing against JUCO-level competition in the CBA.

I'm really not sold on this guy. All the tape I've seen of him is him dunking over guys who are 6'5" or working alone in a gym. Not to mention that virtually every time he's been up against real international competition, he's looked mediocre at best. He's not a good enough shooter to be like Dirk or Bargnani, and he's not big enough to play like Gasol.

I smell the Chinese Stromile Swift, and if that's what you want out of your high lottery pick, more power to you, but in this draft, it seems there are lots of guys that have maybe a lower ceiling, but a much, much higher basement.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

IF Artest lands in Houston with T-Mac and Yao and the honeymoon lasts for an entire year they could make a good push for a championship IMO.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by indy0731 View Post
    IF Artest lands in Houston with T-Mac and Yao and the honeymoon lasts for an entire year they could make a good push for a championship IMO.
    In this case I think that they would have a problem sharing the ball.

wow artest in houston with my boy t-mac!? WOOOO Hoo...
    League pass will be worth the money! staying up for later games is going to suck tho
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    I'm with you Jay. I think he's going to be a good pick for someone. He's a good NBA athlete, he's not just generically athletic in a way that doesn't translate to the game.

Sure he COULD get pushed around but I just don't think it's going to be that kind of issue.

Bosh comes to mind a lot more than Darko when I've seen him in action. I think ATTITUDE and confidence are the main concerns that could hold him back, but that's true for many young players.

Of course with the draft and prospects you just never can tell. I 100% someone in the top 10 will bust and plenty of people will be surprised by it.