Thread: I think we have bed bugs

Default I think we have bed bugs

I don't know how... we keep our house clean, have wood floors, don't buy furniture off ebay, etc. But about 10 days ago I started getting bug bites. We'd been hanging out more outside at the time, so I figured it was mosquitos. But this morning I woke up with a bite I know I didn't have when I went to bed. And I've been reading a ton of stuff about how bed bugs are taking over America.

Anybody know anything about bedbugs?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Default Re: I think we have bed bugs

Anthem,

I don't know much about them, but I've read an article or two on them out of interest. Do you travel much? As I remember that is the most frequent way for them to find you. They are much more popular in other countries.

It seems like ridding yourself of them is not too fun and may involve a new mattress. I'm going completely off memory here, but it seems like your first step would be to see a dermatologist and get a diagnosis of "what's eating you."

My apologies for the bad pun.
    “Seventy percent of me talking on the court is personally for me to get me
    motivated and going. Thirty percent is to see if I can get into the opponent’s head.”
    Reggie Miller

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Huh, my first thought was chiggers since you thought they were mosquito bites . If you have been walking a lot through tall grass or sitting on grass then that would be my bet.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

You sure it isn't fleas?

Normally, a dog or cat would bring them in from outside but I'm sure they could travel in from you or a blanket/towel that was spread out on the grass and then brought inside. And once they are inside, carpets or bedding make fine places for them.

You can buy some spray on stuff at Wal Mart that takes care of them tho. Look in the same place as the dog and cat flea spray. Follow instructions. Since you have a little one (IIRC) I would spray and leave for a few hours.

This stuff I'm talking about isn't like a fogger tho, so I wouldn't anticipate longterm issues. Spray it on... wait... vacuum/wash. Stop scratching.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

My guess is chiggers, too.

They are easily brought in from the outside and they move from one bite to another overnight.

If the bites are sort of linear like a line of islands and tend to be where you wear tight fitting clothing (belt line, hips, ankles and feet) it's chiggers for sure. I don't know why they like to hang out where your clothing fits snug on your body, but they do.

Not a single outdoorsman in history has lived who hasn't had a chigger outbreak at least a few times.

The itching is CRAZY CRAZY. Holy cow, the itching can be BAD.

SO - what do you do?

Cover every bite with clear nail polish or a dab of superglue. This locks the tiny ****ers in and doesn't let them come out and travel to a new site. They die and are consumed by your body inside a day. Also, shower before bed and change the sheets every couple of days and sleep naked. You're sleeping naked so that they don't have a tight-fitting clothing spot to hide in.

Do all this, and they'll be gone in three days or so.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Well, once again, it seems my information is half based on myth. Turns out nail polish does not work.

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/derma...6_chiggers.htm
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird