Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 44 of 44

Thread: Meet Pacers New Assistant Coach

  1. #26
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,783

    Default Re: Meet Pacers New Assistant Coach

    Defruscio has guided the Cardinals program for 18 years, winning 311 games. His teams have won 20 games in a season six times, including four straight seasons from 2002 through 2006

    Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wheeling Jesuit is just another NAIA school real similar to Taylor, Manchester College, St. Francis or Marian College. These schools are usually a early stepping stone to advancing ones career, so this shouldn't be a big suprise considering J. O'Brien got his first shot out of the same school.
    18 years is quite a big step. you'd need sherpas and such.
    This is the darkest timeline.

  2. #27
    One man show ajbry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,696

    Default Re: Meet Pacers New Assistant Coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You need to give your tired agenda a rest! I know that they traded your favorite player, but come on. I know that you can bring more to the forum then just the same tired drivel that you've been spewing for months.
    Calm yourself, I was expressing the sentiment a couple of other people have and that's all. I just question what makes this man legitimately qualified to handle the NBA lifestyle and the jump from D-II to the NBA is massive so I ain't too excited about this hire.

    That's it, don't read too much into it. You'll know when I'm upset, but this is more perplexing than infuriating.

  3. #28
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,727

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Meet Pacers New Assistant Coach

    It's not like he's the head coach, so why would you be confused by it?

    The GM who just took over the Seattle job is only 30. Six years ago he joined the Spurs as an intern making $250 per MONTH. Did Chuck Person ever have coaching jobe before here?

    I imagine JOB has known his man for quite sometime, and I imagine he is very comfortable with JOB's system. It's not like the 4th assistant coach is going to make or break the team.

  4. #29
    Member Evan_The_Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, In. via Oakland, Ca.
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,413

    Default Re: Meet Pacers New Assistant Coach

    I think I'm seeing it now. Chemistry within the coaching staff is what they're after. Harter has spent time with O'Neil, O'Neil has spent time with Defruscio, Burke has spent time with Harter, and I think Lester spent some time with O'Neil. On top of that, Harter & Burke have both spent time with Bird. This is really about having a bunch of guys that are all on the same page. It's all coming together now.

  5. #30
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,632

    Default Re: Meet Pacers New Assistant Coach

    Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    O'Brien and Harter out of coaching for two years. Now a new guy stuck in division 2 ball hits the big time with the Pacers. Sounds like some guys who will spend alot of extra time in the office working on this project. Like a rookie trying to make the team there might be hunger in the air and that's a good thing.
    Great observation!

    I very much agree with this.

    I think TPTB have a plan and are executing it. That's positive.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  6. #31
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,458

    Default Re: Meet Pacers New Assistant Coach

    Wheeling Jesuit student athletes and teams have been recognized on the conference level for sportsmanship. Student athletes are committed to academic excellence as well as community service

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++

    I wonder if the above could have some bearing on his role with the Pacers?
    Pacers also hired the man who was in charge of a world food relief program.
    I can't think of his name but I see a trend and plan in place.
    Can anyone say Indianapolis Colts
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  7. #32
    Member indyman37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    907

    Default Re: Meet Pacers New Assistant Coach

    Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can anyone say Indianapolis Colts
    Can anyone say champions? A man can only hope...

  8. #33
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: Meet Pacers New Assistant Coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan_The_Dude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think I'm seeing it now. Chemistry within the coaching staff is what they're after. Harter has spent time with O'Neil, O'Neil has spent time with Defruscio, Burke has spent time with Harter, and I think Lester spent some time with O'Neil. On top of that, Harter & Burke have both spent time with Bird.
    And Larry Bird starred in Spacejam with....Kevin Bacon.

    That's six moves. We have a winner.

  9. #34
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: Meet Pacers New Assistant Coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have a lot of family that live in Wheeling WV. It is located on the Ohio/WV border along I-70 about 4 1/2 hours from Indy. It is a town about the size of Muncie. RWB, you are right about it being a coal town. It was the hub of Wheeling/Pittsburgh Steel, but due to the flooding of foreign steel, Wheeling is just another depressed steel town in the Ohio Valley.

    Wheeling Jesuit is just another NAIA school real similar to Taylor, Manchester College, St. Francis or Marian College. These schools are usually a early stepping stone to advancing ones career, so this shouldn't be a big suprise considering J. O'Brien got his first shot out of the same school.
    Well . . . he certainly advanced didn't he?
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

  10. #35
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,968

    Default Re: Meet Pacers New Assistant Coach

    Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And Larry Bird starred in Spacejam with....Kevin Bacon.

    That's six moves. We have a winner.
    Sorry, but it can be done in 5. Jim O'Brien coached with Dick Harter, who coached with Rick Carlisle, who in the 2000 ECF tripped Latrell Sprewell, who in the 1997 All-Star game was guarded by Michael Jordan, who starred in those stupid-*** Hanes commercials with Kevin Bacon.
    Last edited by Kegboy; 06-08-2007 at 10:04 PM.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  11. #36
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    26
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: Meet Pacers New Assistant Coach

    He sure is going to have a religious experience with this team.

  12. #37
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: Meet Pacers New Assistant Coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry, but it can be done in 5. Jim O'Brien coached with Dick Harter, who coached with Rick Carlisle, who in the 2000 ECF tripped Latrell Sprewell, who in the 1997 All-Star game was guarded by Michael Jordan, who made a cameo appearance in those stupid-*** Hanes commercials staring Kevin Bacon.
    Fixed.

  13. #38
    Member Evan_The_Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, In. via Oakland, Ca.
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,413

    Default Re: Meet Pacers New Assistant Coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He sure is going to have a religious experience with this team.
    As long as Danny Granger doesn't come knocking at his door...

  14. #39
    Member Harddrive7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,176

    Default Re: Meet Pacers New Assistant Coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan_The_Dude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think I'm seeing it now. Chemistry within the coaching staff is what they're after. Harter has spent time with O'Neil, O'Neil has spent time with Defruscio, Burke has spent time with Harter, and I think Lester spent some time with O'Neil. On top of that, Harter & Burke have both spent time with Bird. This is really about having a bunch of guys that are all on the same page. It's all coming together now.

    There it is. That's something, IMO, that we were sorely missing the last few years. If you create chemistry starting at the top, it's going to trickle down to the players.

    Good call.

  15. #40
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,482

    Default Re: Meet Pacers New Assistant Coach

    Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    its good to know where indiana stands

    orlando
    sacramento
    indianapolis
    coal mine
    Demeaning! You left out limestone quarry!

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  16. #41

    Default Re: Meet Pacers New Assistant Coach

    Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Calm yourself, I was expressing the sentiment a couple of other people have and that's all. I just question what makes this man legitimately qualified to handle the NBA lifestyle and the jump from D-II to the NBA is massive so I ain't too excited about this hire.

    That's it, don't read too much into it. You'll know when I'm upset, but this is more perplexing than infuriating.
    Our roster is young. Most of our younger players are only a few years out of their collegate playing years. Maybe bringing in a "college level" asst. coach who can still speak their language can help.

    The way I see it, Jim Obrien's hire along with this new coaching staff - a mix of old acquaintances who individually and collectively have had success - are coming in at just the right time to turn this franchise around. Kiss the brawl years goodbye. A new era in Pacers basketball began on May 31, 2007. And I'm feeling pretty good about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan_The_Dude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think I'm seeing it now. Chemistry within the coaching staff is what they're after. Harter has spent time with O'Neil, O'Neil has spent time with Defruscio, Burke has spent time with Harter, and I think Lester spent some time with O'Neil. On top of that, Harter & Burke have both spent time with Bird. This is really about having a bunch of guys that are all on the same page. It's all coming together now.
    That's exactly what I mean! Chemistry on the bench. You can't go wrong when everyone is thinking along the exact same lines...same goals, same game plan, same purpose, same determination to succeed! I'm really liking this blending of the coaching staff. I think the culture of the franchise is about to undertake a major shift, folks.
    Last edited by NuffSaid; 06-09-2007 at 08:32 PM.

  17. #42
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,748

    Default Re: Meet Pacers New Assistant Coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan_The_Dude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As long as Danny Granger doesn't come knocking at his door...
    Wrong. Funny, but wrong.























    EDIT: But really, really funny.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  18. #43
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    45
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Meet Pacers New Assistant Coach

    Somebody needs to bookmark this thread for next year's awards. And MR and Btown haven't even contributed...
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  19. #44
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,637

    Default Re: Meet Pacers New Assistant Coach

    Quote Originally Posted by indyman37 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So, who all is supposedly on our coaching staff now? All I can remember is:

    -Jim O'Brien
    -Dick Harter
    -Lester Conner
    -Jay Defruscio

    I remember two others being mentioned as most likely coming here and one of our current assistant coaches is staying, but I can't think of their names.
    One thing with Harter and Defruscio is that they both are older and more experienced. That seems to be the trend so far doesn't it? Not a lot of "let's relate to the players" and more of a "let's be coaches/father figures to them".

    Not saying good or bad, just noting the direction they seem to be taking. While I hated them dumping Rick, I don't dislike JOB and I am curious at least to see what he can do. With the current roster my expectations aren't that high so JOB will get some clearance from me for a year or 2.


    edit - although as others have mentioned, bringing in a college coach might mean that he is the guy slated to relate to/teach the younger players.

    also, a coach can learn to coach at any level. Reducing the talent you're using doesn't make it easier on you, it just alters some of the strategies you have to come up with. Sure he might not have NBA tricks up his sleeve, but he will understand the game and did so enough to win games at his level.

    I mean here we are, a bunch of non-coaches as far as I know, discussing the various strategies and team concepts around the Pacers and the NBA, but this dude will be lost and confused in the "big city".

    Reminds me of the schmucks we met at dinner one night in NYC. These 2 had NEVER left the city, but they figured Hoosiers in NYC were confused and blown away. We didn't rip on them but all night we were thinking "you realize London is hella bigger than NYC and that we've been to LA, Chicago and Houston, along with a lot of the rest of the world".

    In other words, why is a college coach "trapped" in WV with no way of experiencing the rest of the world and the lifestyles of the well-off? So this guy drives out to his suburbs house and a player goes over to his Conrad penthouse, wow, he's going to be star struck. Hardly.

    Whatever kid, just come over that screen tighter next time.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 06-10-2007 at 02:26 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •