Thread: My 3-team trade idea with JO

Mood

Default My 3-team trade idea with JO

Going off the "report" that Odom doesn't want to come here to Indiana in a trade, I thought about looking to see if I could bring Boston in the mix and make a deal they would like with the same pieces in Indy and LA still moving.

I think I found something. According to the ESPN Trade Machine, it works.

We send Jermaine O'Neal to the L.A. Lakers.

The L.A. Lakers send Andrew Bynum, Sasha Vujacic, and their 19th pick to the Indiana Pacers.

The L.A. Lakers send Lamar Odom to the Boston Celtics.

The Boston Celtics send Theo Ratliff (whose 12 million dollar contract expires a year from now) and their 5th pick to Indiana.

So to break it down:

We send Jermaine O'Neal out and get back Bynum, Sasha, the #19 pick, and instead of Lamar Odom we're handed the 5th pick and an expiring contract instead.

LA still sends out Odom, Bynum, Sasha, and the #19 as rumored and discussed before. They get Jermaine O'Neal. So from their POV it's the same difference.

Boston sends their pick and Theo's contract out and get Lamar Odom back, giving Paul Pierce someone to team up with as a 2/3 combo or a smaller 3/4 combo. Maybe if Wally sticks around he's the 3, Paul's the 2, and Odom's the 4. Who knows. But I think they might consider giving up the #5 pick for Odom.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/feature...=13~11~2~11~11

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Default Re: My 3-team trade idea with JO

Sounds decent, I think LA needs a little more pocket change here though.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

I do this trade in a heartbeat...wait no...quicker than a heartbeat.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sounds decent, I think LA needs a little more pocket change here though.
    Well, it could be. I considered it fair because it's the rumored deal we've all been talking about (I didn't change who they're sending out other than I'm not running with the "Put in Tinsley and swap Sasha with Kwame" angle"), where the justification was we're not giving JO away cheaply, and that combined with Kobe's mood puts LA in no position to be low-balling us in any way if they want to please their man and get the best AVAILABLE star to pair with the franchise.

I consume tiny briefs Robobtowncolt's Avatar

What if we send LA JO and Harrison? That work salary wise?

I don't dislike this idea at all.
    Narf!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Robobtowncolt View Post
    What if we send LA JO and Harrison? That work salary wise?

I don't dislike this idea at all.
    Sending Harrison to LA as well, the deal still works salary-wise as described above.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/feature...~11~2~11~13~13

I really like this idea. Especially if we can get a quality SG at #19, which seems very possible. Maybe we throw in a future 2nd to LA and if Boston doesn't want to give up #5 we get them to include Green and the right to swap picks next year. If we don't excercise the swap next year we get their 09 ist rounder.

If we can get Green and then use pick next year packaged with Tins to get the best PG we can.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Well, it could be. I considered it fair because it's the rumored deal we've all been talking about (I didn't change who they're sending out other than I'm not running with the "Put in Tinsley and swap Sasha with Kwame" angle"), where the justification was we're not giving JO away cheaply, and that combined with Kobe's mood puts LA in no position to be low-balling us in any way if they want to please their man and get the best AVAILABLE star to pair with the franchise.
    And in the one article you mentioned earlier, it said the Lakers didn't even want Tinsley.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by indyman37 View Post
    And in the one article you mentioned earlier, it said the Lakers didn't even want Tinsley.
    Right, that's one of the reasons I took it out, aside from it being unrealistic in that we'd have Keith McLeod starting at point and that's really asking a lot of LA.

Going off the "report" that Odom doesn't want to come here to Indiana in a trade, I thought about looking to see if I could bring Boston in the mix and make a deal they would like with the same pieces in Indy and LA still moving.

I think I found something. According to the ESPN Trade Machine, it works.

The L.A. Lakers send Andrew Bynum, Sasha Vujacic, and their 19th pick to the Indiana Pacers.

The Boston Celtics send Theo Ratliff (whose 12 million dollar contract expires a year from now) and their 5th pick to Indiana.

So to break it down:

We send Jermaine O'Neal out and get back Bynum, Sasha, the #19 pick, and instead of Lamar Odom we're handed the 5th pick and an expiring contract instead.

LA still sends out Odom, Bynum, Sasha, and the #19 as rumored and discussed before. They get Jermaine O'Neal. So from their POV it's the same difference.

Boston sends their pick and Theo's contract out and get Lamar Odom back, giving Paul Pierce someone to team up with as a 2/3 combo or a smaller 3/4 combo. Maybe if Wally sticks around he's the 3, Paul's the 2, and Odom's the 4. Who knows. But I think they might consider giving up the #5 pick for Odom.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/feature...=13~11~2~11~11

I'd do that, and then I'd try to move #19 and #5 for a higher pick, if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    I'd do that, and then I'd try to move #19 and #5 for a higher pick, if possible.
    What? Why?

Nobody is going to give you Durant, or Oden for those picks. NOBODY. So you'd be giving up an extra pick in a deep draft to move up two spots? That's pure sillyness.

-- Steve --

I don't think that the Celtics would do it.

I think that they would much rather have the 5th pick and Theo Ratliff's expiering contract than Lamar Odom.

Maybe they would be interested if it was one of their young guys instead of the 5th pick. Someone like Perkins, Telfair, Allen, or maybe even West. (from the way it sounds Green, Jefferson, and Rando are the untouchable ones.)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So to break it down:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=615~2748~617~2421~687&teams=13~11~2~11~11

While I agree that this would be a great trade for us (at JO's expense) to begin our rebuilding process, we currently have 13 players on contract for next year. This trade would give us 15 players under contract next year + 2 first round picks (IIRC first rounders get guaranteed contracts). That would give us 17 players under contract next year.

We would have to either make a couple other trades to reduce the number of contracts to 15, or eat at least 2 contracts.

Here is my trade idea if Lamar goes to a third team.

Pacers Get:
    - Bynum
    - Evans
    - 19th and 20th Picks
    - Williams
    - Doleac

Lakers Get:
    - J O'Neal
    - David Harrison

Heat Get:
    - Lamar Odom
    - Orien Greene

Why for us?

Well we get a young stud in Andrew Bynum, a couple of 1rst round draft picks while they are not great they are not bad, we can still nab a couple of solid talents at those spots. We get cap space with Williams.

Why for the Lakers?

They want Jermaine so here they go. They still might think they are giving up to much so IDK maybe they keep their 1rst.

Why for the Heat?

They suck. Odom played well for them. They can have Wade play the point. Their lineup next year could be Wade/Wright/Odom/Haslem/O'Neal. Not really to bad if D Wright can develope for them. Or they may start Kapono there who knows. Still though, Odom would be a big upgrade for them.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by rommie View Post
    I don't think that the Celtics would do it.

I think that they would much rather have the 5th pick and Theo Ratliff's expiering contract than Lamar Odom.

Maybe they would be interested if it was one of their young guys instead of the 5th pick. Someone like Perkins, Telfair, Allen, or maybe even West. (from the way it sounds Green, Jefferson, and Rando are the untouchable ones.)
    boston doesn't really seem to want the pick. if they keep paul pierce they need vet help. if they trade him, yes they'll want all the picks they can get their hands on. i don't see the ratliff, #5 being a problem at all. they're more concerned about keeping their young talent and here they don't disrupt any of that and add a vet playmaker to be their 2/3 option with jefferson. most deals with boston involve them giving up ratliff, #5 and west/green. so i would think they'd rather give up prospects they don't already have and an exp. for a vet.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't know if Boston would shell out that much for just Lamar Odom. I always thought the general consensus about him was that he was more of a role player. I don't know if Boston would give up a fifth pick for that even if they are disappointed with their draft position.

If they did give agree to that offer I would be happy with the deal. I'd be happy with a #19 actually.

The more i think about this the more think it could happen. That may just be me talking myself round to it ... but out of everything i have seen trade wise, this makes the most sense.

If we are going to do this TPTB will have put themselves out and say this is it .. we are gunna go for it. We would be trusting good judgement in those draft picks, which is always a risk as we could get another 5th pick like Bender!

But i like it ... it excites me and gets me interested! and you never know... it just might work! and not just for us. Lakers hav to do something now and bringing in another superstar makes them very noticable. Boston need Vet help. they have a lot of young talent. They would get a possible AllStar to work with Pierce! and we get to rebuild!

For the first time in all these trade talks i am slightly excited and very much interested!
    'All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.'
    Animal Farm, by George Orwell

I've thought and thought and thought. And what I came up with is, if Boston wants to make some fans happy and get better, they do this trade. I was thinking that after this trade would happen, the could have a starting frontcourt of Pierce, Odom, Jefferson. I don't care what you say but that lineup could compete. I think the Celtics might even make the 8th spot in the playoffs after this trade.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by lenin_fresh View Post
    I don't know if Boston would shell out that much for just Lamar Odom. I always thought the general consensus about him was that he was more of a role player. I don't know if Boston would give up a fifth pick for that even if they are disappointed with their draft position.

If they did give agree to that offer I would be happy with the deal. I'd be happy with a #19 actually.
    they're getting rid of roster dead weight in ratliff and the pick that could translate into Yi (a major project) and other rookies who after oden are certainly not sure things. They've spent a lot of time developing jefferson, west, green, rondo, powe, gomes, perkins... they don't want to have to wait on the other person they could draft. meanwhile odom can give you a double double and all they give up is a pick they really don't want. how do the celtics lose? its not a long-term deal either (unless they choose to appease odom's 3yr ext. request). they need another vet to play with pierce. the celtics are tired of waiting on talent while pierce gets older.

we'd just be taking back ratliff and the #5 (i'd love west to come back but THAT would probably be asking too much)

boston's lineup

west / rondo / telfair
    szczerbiak / allen / ray
    pierce / green / scalabrine
    odom / powe / gomes
    jefferson / perkins / ______

i actually think odom works better on their team than JO would. a #5 is a small price to pay for odom frankly for boston's needs.

EDIT:

IF Boston feels it needs another reason to make this trade, I wonder if the Lakers would have any interest in Telfair. He's a scoring guard who has so far been a disappointment, but in Jackson's system could work. The trade would work if you substituted Evans for Vujacic.
    Last edited by avoidingtheclowns; 06-06-2007 at 01:34 PM.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Like others, I love this trade idea. I wonder what we'd have to throw in to get Boston to include Delonte West in the deal. If Harrison + #19 or Foster was what it took, I'd do it.

Then we have:

PG - Tinsley/Daniels/McLeod
    SG - West/Daniels/Dunleavy
    SF - Granger/Dunleavy/Williams
    PF - Diogu/Murphy/Baston
    C - Bynum/Ratliff/Harrison

Obviously we'd be shooting for Conley with the #5 pick. The question for me is who do we take if Conley's gone? Maybe trade down with Chicago (who reportedly wants Yi Jinlian) and pick Acie Law at #9.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie