Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1999/2000 Finals

Default 1999/2000 Finals

They're showing it on ESPN. Kinda sad, but fun as well. Nice to see Conseco rocking. I still get goosebumps watching

Default Re: 1999/2000 Finals

AH! If Reggie hits that 3 to win it in game 4, I think we win the championship. It was online as well.

Kobe was unreal in that game as well!

It was still Market Square in '99 - '00, wasn't it?
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was still Market Square in '99 - '00, wasn't it?
    Nope, I thought so as well, but it was at Conseco

I always forget that Kobe hurt his ankle, b/c he came up so huge in that Game 4 overtime.

We were closer to beating the eventual champion Pistons in 2004 than we were to beating the Lakers in 2000.

In a lot of ways that team was fool's gold. They lost in seven to the last great team out of the East in 98, collapsed the next year and were a doormat for the Laker dynasty in 2000. I liked those players even Best and Rose. They were fun times but I think we fool ourselves when we talk about how close to a championship that team was. The more the years good by the legend grows of how great that team was.

I might as well say it. Even though the 2000 Pacers were more likeable 04 Pacers > 00 Pacers. 04 was more talanted and closer to being a great team and a championship than any NBA Pacer team up until then.

I think the 2000 team would beat the 2004 team in a 7 game series. Talent isn't everything, as we should all know VERY well by now.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    I think the 2000 team would beat the 2004 team in a 7 game series. Talent isn't everything, as we should all know VERY well by now.
    Bingo. One team made it to the NBA finals and the other didn't.

Only advantage '04 team has IMO is JO. Ron vs. Rose is probably a wash in the end, maybe Ron by a nose. The backcourt tho is not even a contest. Jackson>Tins, younger, old Reggie>older, old Reggie.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Easily.

They'd destroy them.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I agree and disagree. They would win because talent is key and the 2000 team had SHOOTERS. They could fill it up all over the lineup. Sure 2004 would throw some tough defense at them, but with Rik, Dale and Perkins that 2000 team could play long against the Pacers main low scoring threat in a manner similar to what Wallace and Wallace did. Sheed's length especially bothered JO's turnaround and fade moves, and Ben clogged the inside when he tried his drives.

Reggie 2000 blows the doors off of any scoring option 2004 had. Let's face it, we all know Rip was doing his Reggie impression to lift the Pistons over the Pacers in 2004.

I just don't think Ron's offense would be enough to overcome Rose's modest defense, not enough to make up for all the other trouble spots. Rose would have a terrible series of course, but Croshere and Perkins would still get theirs as would Rik due to his height. And Tinsley would do nothing to slow down Jax, though of course at the other end Jax wouldn't exactly stop Tins either.

Harrington off the bench though...that would be interesting for the 2004 team. That could be the secret weapon I suppose.

As a Pacer fan I can't think of a way I'd rather spend a few hours more than watching this exact matchup in action (players in those years, not some old-timers game). Oh time machine, why aren't you invented yet?

BTW, the 2000 Finals Pacers OUTSCORED the Lakes in that series. I attended both games 3 and 5 and I attended all the Pacers-Pistons playoff games (2004 and 2005) and I have to say that they were closer to beating the Lakers than they were the Pistons. People just assumed that the Lakers were the obvious thing due to the regular season wins but the Pacers had MORE scoring options and could really light it up.

Kobe in game 4 saved the day IMO. It was inches away from going Indy's way, and people forget the Pacers had a chance to stop it from even going into OT in the first place.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Bingo. One team made it to the NBA finals and the other didn't.
    2004 Pistons >>> 2000 Knicks

Talk about matchups that wouldn't even be close.

I was in Germany during that entire series, missed the whole thing except for Game 1. I was way out in the Bavarian countryside and never really knew that was going on until I found out that the Pacers lost in 6. Realistically that's how I thought that the series would have turned out beforehand.

However, after recently going back and analyzing the series, and seeing that had Reggie hit that shot in OT in Game 4 we would have evened the series at 2-2, then things really could have been interesting. I'm not saying 100% that we would have won, but if a team ties a series up 2-2 that introduces an entire different element than if a team is down 3-1. That is why I think that Game 4 is always one of the most important games of any series, if no team is up 3-0 at that time. We were so close in my opinion.

And Kobe was just lights friggin out in that game.

Stuck in between the Bulls and Lakers' dynasties...always the bridesmaid and never the bride

I consume tiny briefs Robobtowncolt's Avatar

I was at Hoosier Boy's State and didn't get to watch a single game.

That's right. I'm a loser.
    Narf!

I didn't see a game of it, either. Still haven't.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

The 2000 team I honestly felt was better then the 2000 Lakers.

Aside from Game 1, the Pacers could/should've won any of the other 3 that they lost.

The Lakers shouldn't even have beaten Portland in the series before!

And I'm not one of those conspiracy theory type people, but as soon as the Lakers came back to beat the Trailblazers, I figured we would lose, even though I thought we had the better team. It just felt so similiar to the Knick years, and that Game 7 against the Bulls that one year. I knew we could/should win, but something in me knew they wouldn't.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Kobe in game 4 saved the day IMO. It was inches away from going Indy's way, and people forget the Pacers had a chance to stop it from even going into OT in the first place.
    This is a huge part of why I hate Rick and Larry. I will never forgive them for letting Travis waste clock and try to shoot over Shaq. They were trying to play it safe rather than going for the win.

I was in the stands screaming my throat raw that they could win if they just called a time out and put Mark back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian View Post
    They were fun times but I think we fool ourselves when we talk about how close to a championship that team was. The more the years good by the legend grows of how great that team was.
    I agree that we had NO shot against an in-his-prime Shaq along with Kobe.

But we were about three offensive rebounds away from knocking off MJ in that Game 7. And there's no doubt in my mind that we would have rode that high and steamrolled Stockton and Malone.

I lived (and live) in LA and saw a lot of both teams that year. The Lakers were better. As I saw it we won the game with no Kobe and caught the Lakers relaxing in game 5. (The point difference can be accounted by for game 5.) Yeah, the scores were close but they were the team with more poise, better coaching and more will to win. You can argue if this or that shot went in it would be different but of course if Travis hadn't made a three in the first round this conversation would be moot. After all is anyone going to say the Bucks were better?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The 2000 Pacers aren't even the best NBA Pacer team of all time. The 1998 team was better. Either team would absolutely dominate today's Eastern Conference, and have a good shot at the title as well.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robobtowncolt View Post
    I was at Hoosier Boy's State and didn't get to watch a single game.

That's right. I'm a loser.
    I drove a moving van to Chicago during Game #4, and still have never seen it (and won't.)

And lost the radio broadcast approaching Chicago on I-65 (right after Sam Perkins' three to send it to OT) only to discover that ESPN Radio in Chicago was broadcasting a WhiteSox game that night instead of the NBA Finals. All that we unpacked that first night was a mattress... I had to figure out where my nearest newstand was to find out the score the next morning.

I did go to Games #3 and #5 (although damn tired from all the packing, unpacking and driving), and will certainly vouch for it being in the Fieldhouse.

But my buddy that is from Cleveland has an equally bad "plans were made in April" story - he and his wife leave for Europe on Thursday morning so he'll miss the entire NBA Finals I think. Now he doesnt' have tickets, so its not "as bad..."
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Sh4d3 View Post
    The 2000 Pacers aren't even the best NBA Pacer team of all time. The 1998 team was better. Either team would absolutely dominate today's Eastern Conference, and have a good shot at the title as well.
    i completely agree. that 98 team was the best. by 2000, smits was running on fumes. he was not a useful player anymore. shaq totally ruled him in 2000. not saying the 98 smits could have stopped him however, he could have minimzed shaq's scoring with more of his own (as compared to the 2000 rik)

I'd love to see the 98 team against today's teams. not gonna happen of course but, one can dream.

Just saw this thread.

In game 4 of 2000, we had fouled out Shaq and basically played 5 on Kobe during the overtime. In that game, I honestly felt as though we had successfully fouled out Shaq about 2 to 2-1/2 minutes before foul #6 was ever called... and should have won it in regulation. But, all we had to do in the overtime was to stop Kobe... and we didn't.

I believe that we could have taken that series. The Lakers were having a very hard time choosing between rebounding the ball defensively or covering our three-point shooters.

As far as 2004 goes, I believe we did not beat Detroit and go on to win the championship for one reason and one reason only. Detroit acquired Rasheed for peanuts just prior to the trade deadline. Wallace ended up being the perfect piece that the Pistons needed to knock out the Pacers. As I recall, several Pistons stated after winning the title that they had a far more difficult time against the Pacers in the EC finals than they did in the finals.

If the two teams played each other, both being half court teams, I believe the 2000 team would win quite handily. I just don't think the 2004 team could handle the interior men at all. Between Smits, Perkins and Croshere all hitting mid- to long-range jumpers, along with Reggie bombing away as well and MJax able to hit a wide open 3-pointer, the 2004 team would have a hell of time on the defensive boards.

I would like our chances even better if Bender wasn't a part of the team and we would have still had AD or had traded him for a useful player.

In any case, some of you (including management) severely underestimated what we had and severely over estimated how easily we could get back to that level. We're still trying... and farther away than at any time in the last 15 or so years.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I would like our chances even better if Bender wasn't a part of the team and we would have still had AD or had traded him for a useful player.

In any case, some of you (including management) severely underestimated what we had and severely over estimated how easily we could get back to that level. We're still trying... and farther away than at any time in the last 15 or so years.

-Bball
    Agreed... I had forgotten about AD. I had always been of the opinion that we were missing one more big man to take the series, and that's exactly what we gave up in acquiring Bender.

I think having Antonio Davis instead of an infant Jonathan Bender would've helped us handle Shaq a lot better. We really had only one competent defender in Dale Davis because veteran center duo of Smits and the Big Smooth just didn't have the athleticism. I still think that the Lakers would've ultimately beat us though.