Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bird: "We're not going to use the mid-level and we're not going to spend a ton of money"

Default Re: Bird: "We're not going to use the mid-level and we're not going to spend a ton of money"

Maybe Bird is saying this purposely, TPTB is good in throwing smoke screens!
    Maceo Baston's #1 fan on Pacers Digest!

Sports Logo

Default Re: Bird: "We're not going to use the mid-level and we're not going to spend a ton of money"

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dunleavy made 7.2 million last season. Here are others in that range. Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but once again the hate for Dunleavy surprises me.

Shandon Anderson $7,244,726
    Jamal Crawford NYK ETO-09 $7,200,000
    Q. Richardson NYK ETO-09 $7,525,500
    Malik Rose NYK ETO-07 $7,525,397
    Maurice Taylor SAC $7,500,000*
    Jerome Williams $7,014,400
    Tayshaun Prince DET $7,851,240
    Al Harrington GS PL-09 $7,625,000
    Antoine Walker MIA ETO-09 $7,606,820
    Caron Butler WAS $7,438,000
    Mark Blount MIN ETO-09 $7,288,165
    Darius Miles POR $7,750,000
    Corey Maggette LAC ETO-08 $7,000,000
    Kenny Thomas SAC ETO-08 $7,187,500
    Ron Artest SAC ETO-08 $7,526,316
    To alleviate any SF rotational congestion that we have....I would easily move him before Granger or Shawne....but I just don't see how any team would want to take back Dunleavy's $36mil contract.

But that's what surprises me as well......I would think that a player like Dunleavy...a pretty decent mid-range jumper that ( at least before he got jettisoned here to Indy ) has a decent 3pt shot...would fit into JO'Bs offensive system. He's a decent ball-handler...he can hit the open shot mid-range jumpshot when needed and is versatile at the SG/SF spot.

Unless there is some GM that is in love with Dunleavy.....and I have yet to find one other then Mullin and Bird.....then he would have been moved a long time ago. If any team is going to take him...there is no way that we will get back a contract that is going to be any worse.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Its unclear to me...but does Bird's response include S&T? Technically....when we do a S&T...we're not really spending any more money that is allowed under the cap right?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Didn't Bird say he would pursue every opportunity to improve the Pacers even via FA a while ago?
    "To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe." - Anatole France

If there are questions surrounding a player's starting credentials he shouldn't be the 2/3 highest paid player on the team. There are instances where a guy gets injured or is riding out a backloaded contract that can be overlooked. This is not one of those. Dunleavy will be the 3rd highest paid Pacer and Murphy will be the second highest paid Pacer (depending on JO's trade status they may become 1 & 2). It doesn't matter if New York is paying Crawford and Richardson the same amount of money, New York sucks and they have serious cap issues. . If JO is traded to LA for what is rumored (Odom & Brown), three of the four highest paid players could be bench players.

That's why they can't use the MLE or throw money around at big time players. They've already let it rain on very mediocre players.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Way to totally obliterate all hope and optimism, TPTB.

Sheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    we're not going to spend a ton of money
    Isn't this ironic, coming out of the mouth of one of our TWO paid GM's?

Hehe.

But I agree, anyway. We should look to lessen our costs.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Banned

I think one of the reasons may be they're trying to prevent taking on long term salary in an attempt to be under the cap in a season or two, to both help resign our players and be a major player in the free agent market of 2008 or 2009. Of course that could just be my wishful thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Y2J View Post
    I think one of the reasons may be they're trying to prevent taking on long term salary in an attempt to be under the cap in a season or two, to both help resign our players and be a major player in the free agent market of 2008 or 2009. Of course that could just be my wishful thinking.
    It's gotta be. If we can't afford to resign someone like Granger--at this point the most popular Pacer probably--then they look really dumb.

Plus I will be upset if guys like him and Shawne and Ike etc. can't come back!
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

my jaw just hit the floor...WHAT!? I think this seals it. We are not even trying to make this team "BETTER"...we trying to suck enough to get a good draft pick next yr! Hellllllllllooooooooo OJ MAYO!
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Banned

Oh no! No Mo!

I said right after the season that if Jermaine is not moved nothing will happen this offseason other then a new coach.

Sure we might sign a few scrubs to wave towels. But we dont have any players that anybody wants. We couldnt trade Murphy,Tins or Dunleavy is we attached Conesco Fieldhouse along with them to sweeten the deal.

Larry Bird is a moron though. Pretty good idea to cut costs huh Larry and the Front Office. That would have been great when you traded for 2 scrubs who got contracts like they are putting up all star numbers. But now we have to cut costs. We have the absolute worst front office in the NBA. Teams in the NBDL are run better then ours.
    Last edited by Jermaniac; 06-04-2007 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    We have the absolute worst front office in the NBA. Teams in the NBDL are run better then ours.
    I think people need to look at the Lakers and sigh a relief.
    "To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe." - Anatole France

The Lakers have Kobe,Low,Bynum,Farmar,first round draft pick

We have Jermaine O'Neal and Danny Granger.

Lakers also made the playoffs in the EXTREMELY tough west, while we couldnt make it in the Eastern conference where about 6 teams after 20 games of the season start to tank because they are out of the playoffs already.

We made the playoffs barley and i mean BARLEY! not to mention that the Lakers have no direction at this point-- there a absolute mess. they have there hands tied up.. anything they do or say will result in rather Kobe stays or go thats how much pressure the Management has.

Lakers are the worst its not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac View Post
    I said right after the season that if Jermaine is not moved nothing will happen this offseason other then a new coach.

Sure we might sign a few scrubs to wave towels. But we dont have any players that anybody wants. We couldnt trade Murphy,Tins or Dunleavy is we attached Conesco Fieldhouse along with them to sweeten the deal.

Larry Bird is a moron though. Pretty good idea to cut costs huh Larry and the Front Office. That would have been great when you traded for 2 scrubs who got contracts like they are putting up all star numbers. But now we have to cut costs. We have the absolute worst front office in the NBA. Teams in the NBDL are run better then ours.
    Isn't that the damn truth.

I think most teams tread water in medocrity by constantly overpaying free agents. The MLE does just that half the guys you get are bench players at best or guys with alot of potential that don't pan out. I say move JO spend a year developing our young talent to see what we have and move from there. The MLE is not going to fix anything. We have plenty of decent players. We need to ride out some bad contracts or try to move some if possible. Desprate moves will set us back even farther. Have faith the P's will rise agian.

Quote Originally Posted by Sh4d3 View Post
    Way to totally obliterate all hope and optimism, TPTB.

Sheesh.

Yes, like you EVER have any anyway.

-- Steve --

Quote Originally Posted by Smashed_Potato View Post
    We made the playoffs barley and i mean BARLEY! not to mention that the Lakers have no direction at this point-- there a absolute mess. they have there hands tied up.. anything they do or say will result in rather Kobe stays or go thats how much pressure the Management has.

The end.

depressing days ahead? Of course
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Sh4d3 true they are one of the worst but at this position who's in trouble the Knicks or the Lakers?

atleast the Knicks don't have the best player on the planet holding a gun through there head like Kobe is doing to the Lakers.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

SP, you are going to find it rather difficult to gain sympathy for the Lakers, anywhere in the league. Laker fan's are going to have to reallize that there's the other side to success, and I'm not talking about that little dry spell you went through in the early 90's.

Come on, are you seriously comming here looking for people to feel sorry for the Lakers? A team that has multiple titles and had an oppertunity to have the best players thru many different eras. The Pacers greatest NBA acheivement is just REACHING the finals....ONCE!

In other words, I find your fishing for sympathy rather insulting knowing the success of your franchise.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Gnome, but the Franchise is not being run by smart people. Mitch K. Kupchak is not smart and Dr. Buss is not really the personnel adviser Jim Buss is (son). so its not like this happened just now its been happening since Jerry left. there is absolutely no hope unless the FO changes.

Sh4d3 true they are one of the worst but at this position who's in trouble the Knicks or the Lakers?

atleast the Knicks don't have the best player on the planet holding a gun through there head like Kobe is doing to the Lakers.

You are right. Especially this part:

The Knicks don't have the best player on the planet.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Are you kidding me? Is there a clue store around here so that we can send Mr. Potato somewhere to buy one?

Let's have this discussion when one of the key players from your *last* dynasty isn't still on the team.

The Celtics haven't been close to a title for 20 years, and I hope they go another 60 or so. As for Lakers, you could certainly stand to go a couple of decades or longer without sniffing a title - then you might have a sense for how the other half lives. And I hope you do go a couple of decades without getting close to a title.

You've picked the wrong neighborhood to go looking for sympathy.

PS - Every time I hear Tommy Heinsohn open his mouth I hope the Celtics go and extra fifty years without a title. At least you've got Stu Lantz - he's nowhere near as offensive as Heinsohn.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you