Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bird: "We're not going to use the mid-level and we're not going to spend a ton of money"

Mood

Default Bird: "We're not going to use the mid-level and we're not going to spend a ton of money"

Well, so much for trying to snag someone halfway decent. Scratch Free Agency off the list of ways to improve the team.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/ask_the_pacers.html

Question for Larry Bird | June 4, 2007
    Q. I was just wondering how serious the organization is at delving into the free agent market? I see names like Chauncey Billups, Bonzi Wells, Jason Kapono, James Posey, Primoz Brezec, Mike Bibby, Luke Walton and Austin Croshere, just to name a few. Do you feel there are any guys out there that could come in here and fill a void, and if so, how serious of a push will be made to get the necessary pieces? (From Jeff in New Castle, Ind.)
    A. When you talk about Chauncey Billups, it'll be virtually impossible to pull him away from Detroit. There's a lot of players out there that I like but it'd have to be a sign-and-trade. We're not going to use the mid-level and we're not going to spend a ton of money but we will make changes.

Default Re: Bird: "We're not going to use the mid-level and we're not going to spend a ton of money"

Dun, Tins, and Murphy make it pretty much impossible to spend any more money.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Re: Bird: "We're not going to use the mid-level and we're not going to spend a ton of money"

Well he did SAY "we will make changes".

Does this mean trading McLeod and Rawle for Joey Graham? Who knows, especially after last year. And of course I also hate the idea of change for change's sake.

Bah.

I'm guessing with the SVG lowball and then this, the Simons really put the hammer down on costs.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Bird's secret code we'll be getting two 2nd rounders in the JO deal.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

WOW....you almost just have to respect a flat-out kick in the balls to the fanbase like that.

I didn't expect them to use it given the luxury tax implications, but to just come out and say it like that in early June is just impressive.

Well practically speaking, we knew we did not have any room around the cap anway to attract FA's right ?.

That won't be possible probably until , if and when someone contract's like JO is moved, and we can reap the financial benefit's a year or two down the road. I don't see how this puts us in any worse position then most teams who don't have many other options other than via trades.

I guess the team's new motto this year is under promise and over deliver ?
    Or don't expect too much and you'll be pleasantly surprised !

( If anything this places even more pressure on the franchise to make a trade in the offseason, if their hands are tied financially. Which may or not be a good thing.
    Last edited by Frank Slade; 06-04-2007 at 02:44 PM.

Why Not Us ?

It's pre-conceived notions from LB like that which scare the living daylights out of me, this man is not equiped for the job at hand.

Without "knowing" what will be available and what you can get for who and at what cost, you do not make statements like that.

We just became a 3rd thought for FA's and other teams, unless they have a problem "unloading", and we've seen what happens when that comes along just a few months ago.

I am now seriously worried.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

I consume tiny briefs Robobtowncolt's Avatar

And if he'd said they were going to go hard after one of those guys, he'd probably be criticized for continued fiscal irresponsibility while demonstrating a recurring desire to try to throw a band-aid on a knife wound by bringing in a veteran to try to make a desperate push for the playoffs and making a fatal bargaining mistake by throwing all his cards on the table this early and driving up the market for players who might not be worth that much in the end when what we really need to do is sit back, survey the trade market, and try to improve the team through a youth movement and salary dump......

I also have no idea why people think someone working in conjunction with a guy who's made a career out of toying with the press would take this completely matter-of-factly. This wasn't some spur-of-the-moment question and answer session. This was a thought out and prepared statement likely run through a number of filters.

I don't have much interest in defending Bird here, but meh.
    Last edited by Robobtowncolt; 06-04-2007 at 02:58 PM.
    Narf!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Slade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well practically speaking, we knew we did not have any room around the cap anway to attract FA's right ?.
    I was hoping that Mo Williams could be had for the MLE and might choose the Pacers since he would be pretty much guaranteed to start.

but no.

we won't even try.

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    Without "knowing" what will be available and what you can get for who and at what cost, you do not make statements like that.

We just became a 3rd thought for FA's and other teams, unless they have a problem "unloading", and we've seen what happens when that comes along just a few months ago.

I would think the Ps know what free agents are available. He didn't answer who we might trade for, rather the PAcers will not be making a splash in the free agent market.

Sounds like to me Bird doesn't see the Pacers achieving anything so why bring those MLE pieces teams look at to complete and compete for a championship move. That's what he thought he was doing when he brought in Cabbage two years ago.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

streets ahead

It's pre-conceived notions from LB like that which scare the living daylights out of me, this man is not equiped for the job at hand.

able basically articulated how i feel about it.

i don't need larry to say we're going to go after a couple of guys and make offers. i just don't think he should make what is already seemingly an unappealing destination for free agents and even LESS appealing by saying we're not going to spend anything. the offseason hasn't even officially begun and he's already made us an afterthought.
    This is the darkest timeline.

I agree as well. He's setting us up for the next few offseasons unfortunately - we ain't got much to spend and we ain't able to offer much in terms of personnel. It apparently doesn't matter who's on the market and who may become available.

Honestly, I'm happy about this. There are not a whole lot of mid-level worthy free agents out there this year.

Here's a list of possible Free Agents who are at, above, or near the mid-level:
    Unrestricted:

Gerald Wallace
    Jerry Stackhouse
    Chauncey Billups
    Bonzi Wells
    Smush Parker
    Luke Walton
    Jason Kapono
    Desmond Mason
    Grant Hill
    Earl Boykins
    Mo Williams
    Vince Carter
    Michael Finley
    Rashard Lewis
    DeShawn Stevenson
    Matt Barnes

Restricted:

Charlie Bell
    Darko Milicic
    Andres Nocioni
    Michael Pietrus

You can pretty much cross Chauncey Billups, Rashard Lewis, and Vince Carter off the list. Mike Bibby and Mo Williams will likely go for more than the full MLE. Restricted free agents are often ridiculously hard to pry away from their teams (if they're any good).

So exactly who is it off this list that the Pacers should go after?
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    WOW....you almost just have to respect a flat-out kick in the balls to the fanbase like that.

I didn't expect them to use it given the luxury tax implications, but to just come out and say it like that in early June is just impressive.
    It's actually for the best, given that we'd be in the same category as the Knicks...constant signing of sub-level players (see Jerome James) hamstrung by salary forever, and forced to plod around in mediocrity for seasons to come. I think the Golden State deal probably has some long-term thinking behind it, more than just an easy way to dump Jax.

I don't see why this is a big deal that the Pacers are not going to use their MLE.

We don't need to add more salary to this team especially when this free agent class sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybegood View Post
    It's actually for the best, given that we'd be in the same category as the Knicks...constant signing of sub-level players (see Jerome James) hamstrung by salary forever, and forced to plod around in mediocrity for seasons to come. I think the Golden State deal probably has some long-term thinking behind it, more than just an easy way to dump Jax.
    I wholeheartedly agree.

Believe me, the last thing I wanna see us giving money to mediocrity. I just wouldn't expect the GM who now "has the keys to the car" to tell a fanbase who doesn't particularly understand the NBA Salary Cap (and one that's been suffering for three years) to flat out say "we're not gonna spend a ton of money".

Most GMs would sugarcoat it. That's why I'm saying, you almost hafta respect the balls it takes to publicly say, "Daddy took away my allowance".

Well, we know from the coaching search that he doesn't necessarily stick to his convictions. He said he wanted an up-and-comer, and was not interested in a college coach. Then he hired a retread sight-unseen on Dick Harter's recommendation, and we just find out he was talking to Billy Donovan.

Wow, wouldn't that have sucked if he pulled an Orlando on us.

Anyway, my point is, don't take Larry's word as gospel. Not because he's being dishonest, just wishy-washy.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

streets ahead

he spent a lot of time in Massachussetts, notorious flip-floppers they are

This is the darkest timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    Jason Kapono; DeShawn Stevenson; Charlie Bell

I pointed this out in another thread, but if we could get any of these players for about 3 million a year, I would try to do so and trade Dunleavy for a pile of crap (as long as it was an expiring pile of crap).

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Well I don't know about second rounders (I'd expect a single 1st rounder), but after I made this thread I listened to the Jim O'Brien press conference and what caught my attention was Larry Bird saying (in regards to addressing team needs) 'we'll get it through the draft, and if not, then free agency'. Well, when he said that (and to our knowledge this remains the same now) we had 0 draft picks. Now he says (essentially) we're not a part of free agency. Hmm....

Granted, he still talks about sign-and-trades (that's how we got Stephen Jackson, for example).

They like the team they compiled. You can't get great players for the MLE and this team needs great players. They already have 5 or 6 MLE talent guys on the roster (Tinsley,Daniels,MDJ,Murphy,Foster). All of those guys are getting paid probably too much and there's no reason to continue to bog this team down. I still see them entering next season with the same team minus end of the bench-type guys.

Dunleavy made 7.2 million last season. Here are others in that range. Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but once again the hate for Dunleavy surprises me.

Shandon Anderson $7,244,726
    Jamal Crawford NYK ETO-09 $7,200,000
    Q. Richardson NYK ETO-09 $7,525,500
    Malik Rose NYK ETO-07 $7,525,397
    Maurice Taylor SAC $7,500,000*
    Jerome Williams $7,014,400
    Tayshaun Prince DET $7,851,240
    Al Harrington GS PL-09 $7,625,000
    Antoine Walker MIA ETO-09 $7,606,820
    Caron Butler WAS $7,438,000
    Mark Blount MIN ETO-09 $7,288,165
    Darius Miles POR $7,750,000
    Corey Maggette LAC ETO-08 $7,000,000
    Kenny Thomas SAC ETO-08 $7,187,500
    Ron Artest SAC ETO-08 $7,526,316
    Last edited by RWB; 06-04-2007 at 03:41 PM.

Sports Logo

This means that we will either "stand pat" on the existing roster.....or we will be looking to make trades through trades of existing players. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    I know its rumors and all for Camby for the 19th pick+Kwame, I wouldn't be surprised if the deal was JONeal for Bynum+Odom+both of the Lakers 2007 2nd round picks.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.