Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 56

Thread: The East is wide open

  1. #1
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default The East is wide open

    There hasn't been an offseason like this in a while. These Pistons are done... Chauncey is a Buck, bank it. Miami's in trouble, what with their salary situation. Cleveland will always be in it with LaBron, but you kind of get the feeling that most of the supporting cast is playing way over their heads right now. We'll see if they keep it up.

    Regardless, a good offseason and we could be pretty decent in the standings, even without JO.

    I'm very intrigued to see what happens this summer.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  2. #2
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,678

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The East is wide open

    The fact that we are in the east is what is keeping my hopes up.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  3. #3
    Member indyman37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    903

    Default Re: The East is wide open

    I agree with everything you said...and I would even go to the extent of saying if TPTB make 2 to 3 good deals (trades or FA) this summer, we'll be right back in it.

  4. #4
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The East is wide open

    It'll be a Bulls-Cavs ECF for the next three years.

    Maybe we can move up to third in the division.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  5. #5

    Default Re: The East is wide open

    I agree with you here.

    I would have never dreamed that the Cavs get to the Finals this year. But they did.

    However I wouldn't say these Pistons are done.

    I think Billups stays a Piston. I was just reading yesterday, I think an article on realgm maybe, that the two teams with cap room, the Bucks and Bobcats, are not interested in Billups and the Bucks want to keep Mo Williams.

    I think that the Bulls, if there young guys continue to get better and maybe if they can add a post scorer, they could just dominate the East. They are loaded with talent.

    I feel that you are right though. For the most part the East is wide open, I just hope Bird doesn't try any quick fixes with this team though with the East wide open. That would be a big mistake IMO.

  6. #6
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,749

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The East is wide open

    ...wide open for who, exactly?


    And how can you say that with a whole summer of drafting, free agency and trades coming up?

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  7. #7
    Member indyman37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    903

    Default Re: The East is wide open

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...wide open for who, exactly?


    And how can you say that with a whole summer of drafting, free agency and trades coming up?
    Almost any team in the East can make a couple of deals and be instantly pole-vaulted in the standings.

  8. #8
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,020

    Default Re: The East is wide open

    Yes, stick a fork in the Pistons. They have an aging group of frontcourt players and will be losing their starting PG. They will probably drop out of contention as early as next year.

    Also, there are no dominant teams in the east now. Cleveland and Chicago are very good, but not great teams. Except for Lebron, I don't think that much of Cleveland. Chicago is not as good as Cleveland and may never be that good. Ben Wallace and PJ Brown are aging. Deng might be as good as Lebron, but the pieces don't fit as well in Chicago.

    Yes, it's wide open and a rebuilding team has a shot to contend within a couple years if the right moves are made.

  9. #9
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: The East is wide open

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...wide open for who, exactly?
    Anybody. Thus the phrase "wide open."

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And how can you say that with a whole summer of drafting, free agency and trades coming up?
    The fact that there's a summer of activity is kind of the point. With a good summer, the Pacers could be a top-4 EC team come next March. With a bad one, we could have lots of ping-pong balls.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  10. #10
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The East is wide open

    In the Atlantic and SE divisions, maybe.

    Who's going to move around in the Central?

    Milwaukee? Maybe.

    Indiana? Sure, we hope so, but let's turn our brains back on?

    Chicago - yep, they're still moving up. And they don't need to make many moves this summer as much as they need to let the young players keep developing.

    Cleveland - yep, they're still moving up. And they don't need to make many moves this summer as much as they need to let the young players keep developing.

    Detroit - still got Dumars calling the shots.

    Let's face it, we've got the fourth or fifth-best front office in the Division and the teams ahead of us are moving up while we are moving laterally.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  11. #11
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,749

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The East is wide open

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Chauncey is a Buck, bank it.
    Um, the fact you're on your knees every night praying Chauncey leaves Detroit does not make it a certainty...

    The Bucks have already said they'd be happy with re-signing Mo Williams.

    Other than convenience for the pacers, there is no other reason for chauncey to sign with milwaukee, of all teams.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  12. #12
    One man show ajbry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,696

    Default Re: The East is wide open

    Unfortunately the Pacers aren't in a favorable situation like some of the other lesser, on-the-brink Eastern teams.

  13. #13

    Default Re: The East is wide open

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Chicago - yep, they're still moving up. And they don't need to make many moves this summer as much as they need to let the young players keep developing.

    Cleveland - yep, they're still moving up. And they don't need to make many moves this .
    If Thomas develops quickly then the EC is theirs-Hinrich, Deng, gordon, Thomas followed by Nocioni and Wallace. Paxson is the next Dumars. The Pacers can't overtake Cleveland and Chicago anytime soon so they need to rebuild at a slower pace.

  14. #14
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The East is wide open

    The Pacers only chance against Chicago and Cleveland is to dominate the paint... with JO. A scenario that looks very, very unlikely.

    If we go small against either of them, they'd sweep us.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  15. #15
    Member Mr.ThunderMakeR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,094

    Default Re: The East is wide open

    The problem here is that were apparently stuck in 'retooling' mode instead of rebuilding.

  16. #16
    J.O. To The T.O. Oneal07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,459

    Default Re: The East is wide open

    Which is why it would be stupid for Jermaine to go to the West. If he goes out there, he won't be winnin a championship anytime soon unless he goes to Dallas or Phoenix, Lakers arent really gnna make much noise next year!!! If I was JO I would stay in Indy.

    And what are y'all talking about. The Pacers could handle Chicago

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    553

    Default Re: The East is wide open

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Pacers only chance against Chicago and Cleveland is to dominate the paint... with JO. A scenario that looks very, very unlikely.

    If we go small against either of them, they'd sweep us.
    Andrew Bynum. 7', 285 lb. 56% shooting as a 19 year old. That's the kid who could end up dominating the East for us.

  18. #18
    Never Quit. Coop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,091

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The East is wide open

    Deng might be as good as Lebron.
    ..........

    And what are y'all talking about. The Pacers could handle Chicago
    Not even close. If we stayed how we are now, even with a new coach, we would be lucky to win one game.

  19. #19
    J.O. To The T.O. Oneal07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,459

    Default Re: The East is wide open

    Chicago is over rated. So what if they have Ben Wallace. If we (The Pacers) have another consistent scorer we would handle them nicely. that's If Jermaine stays. if last year;s team was more consistent we would've made the playoffs.

    JO'b is gona let them play ball. After watchin the pacers DVD games today, Pacers are a better team when they run

  20. #20
    Never Quit. Coop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,091

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The East is wide open

    Quote Originally Posted by Oneal07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Chicago is over rated. So what if they have Ben Wallace. If we (The Pacers) have another consistent scorer we would handle them nicely. that's If Jermaine stays. if last year;s team was more consistent we would've made the playoffs.

    JO'b is gona let them play ball. After watchin the pacers DVD games today, Pacers are a better team when they run

    Wow..Chicago is only going to get better. Their backcourt would eat us alive all day. Their frontcourt may be thin and aging, but they still have Thomas who now has a year of development, and the 8th pick in the draft which could net them Noah or Horford. Hinrich would average 20 a game against Tinsley and Gordon would go right around Granger and Dun. On top of that, they have Deng. While he isn't a LeBron, he still puts up close to 20 and 8 and is very difficult to guard.

    If by another consistent scorer you mean, Paul Pierce or someone of that nature, maybe we could win a couple games. But then comes the issue, how do you get that "consistent scorer" without giving up the pieces you need to compete against top-level teams?

  21. #21
    J.O. To The T.O. Oneal07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,459

    Default Re: The East is wide open

    Their back court is inconsistent and they can't win on the road. They have a good team, but people over hype them too much!!! All you have to do is put Marquis on Ben Gordon to slow him down. If they can't hit their jumpers they are done. Like what they did whn the PAcers blew them outta the gym

    And you don't know how good our bench players really are cause they;'ve never played under Rick. The offense is open this year all these guys have to do is play well off each other and keep the ball movin and keep the pressure on the other team. We have players who play uptempo,not in a half court, so of course they are not gonna play well. I justhope Bird gets the right players here

    I didn't know it took 1 season missing the playoffs to break a PAcers Fan's spirit. Atleast be optimistic

  22. #22
    Never Quit. Coop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,091

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The East is wide open

    I am optimistic. But I'm not going to sit here and say that we can hang with the top of the East after the way we ended our season. I have yet to see this team compete at a high level for an extended period of time. Until that happens, I'll keep my homerness contained.

  23. #23

    Default Re: The East is wide open

    Quote Originally Posted by Oneal07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Chicago is over rated. So what if they have Ben Wallace. If we (The Pacers) have another consistent scorer we would handle them nicely. that's If Jermaine stays. if last year;s team was more consistent we would've made the playoffs.

    JO'b is gona let them play ball. After watchin the pacers DVD games today, Pacers are a better team when they run
    It's not Ben Wallace that makes them so good.

    It's Kirk Hinrich, Ben Gordon, and Luol Deng with maybe Nocioni and a couple of up and coming players in Thabo and Tyrus Thomas. Not to mention another lottery pick. That's what makes Chicago so good.

    However that doesn't mean they can't be beat.

    What we need is some defenders and 3 point shooters.

    Assuming we do the LA deal and get Bynum and Odom we will have an interesting team if we can add a couple of good 3 point shooters in the backcourt.

    Odom would make our third ball handler on this team that isn't a point guard. Odom, Marquis, and even Dunleavy are capable of handling the ball and setting others up, especially Odom and Marquis. With some 3 point shooters that would be very interesting.

    If we could just add two more shooters in the backcourt, a point guard and a shooting guard this would be a very interesting team. I don't know that there would be any other team with 3 players (not counting point guards) that can handle the ball like Odom, Marquis, and Dunleavy. Add a wing player like Danny who can score (maybe Shawne too depending on how fast he developes), Bynum will continue to develope and hopefully be able to dominate the paint on offense. Ike already can score in down low for us. This would really be an interesting team.

    If Chicago doesn't get a post scorer they will be in trouble again come playoff team. We will have to wait and see what Dumars does with the Pistons. I believe Chauncey will be back but he may not, I wonder if Sheed or Webber will be back as well.

  24. #24
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The East is wide open

    Uh, what?

    Rick never trimmed his rotation, I'd argue that way too many bench players saw significant minutes.

    We were 1-3 against them this year, losing by 9 in November as the Bulls got off to a rough start (don't forget SJax's awful shot down the stretch), losing by 15 in December, a seven-point win right after the trade (big game from Marquis off the bench), and a close loss in March.

    We certainly didn't blow them out of the gym any time in the recent past.

    I enjoyed the Bulls losing as much as anyone, but that ended the day Paxson was hired. He's better than Dumars, just don't kell Kstat that...
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  25. #25
    J.O. To The T.O. Oneal07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,459

    Default Re: The East is wide open

    Well blame that on the trade lol!! That's why we have a new coach. I'm just saying if we let the guys like Baston, Marshall, Greene play. . . We can compete with those Elite teams. Especially Baston. The only beef I had last year was that Rick would play Dunleavy for the whole 3rd quarter, when you have guards on the bench would can create and get to the basket!! We just have to play tempo that suits our team

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •