Thread: Why we shouldn't feel sorry for Mark Jackson...

Default Why we shouldn't feel sorry for Mark Jackson...

Griz weighing options for West replacement

Story Tools
    http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/...565227,00.html

By Ronald Tillery
    Contact
    June 1, 2007

No decision has been reached as to who the Grizzlies will hire as general manager and/or team president upon Jerry West's departure at the end of June.

Griz majority owner Michael Heisley and West will travel this weekend to Scotland on a golf trip. Heisley indicated he will announce a decision sometime after his return, scheduled for the week of June 10. And while Heisley suggested that Phoenix executive David Griffin is a front-runner because of his relationship with newly signed Griz head coach Marc Iavaroni, he hasn't agreed to terms with Griffin, contrary to media reports.

A source within the Phoenix Suns organization confirmed that Griffin had not received an offer from the Griz as of Thursday, and added that the Suns would make a pitch to retain their vice president of basketball operations.

Griffin has essentially functioned in a general manager's role with the Suns. Reports out of Arizona are that former player and current broadcaster Steve Kerr will be named Suns' president of basketball operations as early as next week. The Suns gave Heisley permission to talk to Griffin, and the two talked just before the start of the NBA pre-draft camp in Orlando this week.

Heisley plans to conduct at least one more interview before deciding between known candidates such as Griffin, Mark Jackson, Kiki Vandeweghe and Chris Wallace.

Former Chicago Bulls guard B.J. Armstrong also remains a person of interest for the Grizzlies.

It is believed that Griffin and Jackson -- the former NBA point guard turned television analyst -- are on equal footing as front-runners in the process.

"Marc is going to have a lot of say about who the GM will be," Heisley said of his new coach. "He's not going to decide it, but he's going to have a lot of say about it."

-- Ronald Tillery: 529-2353
    Geoff Calkins contributed to this story.

Maybe Mark Jackson just wanted to go straight for the head hancho's spot.

Default Re: Why we shouldn't feel sorry for Mark Jackson...

Umm, am I the only one that thinks this doesnt make any sense??? I mean I could somewhat see him being appointed a HC despite not having any experience. But to appoint GM without having ANY front office experience at all??? Talk about taking a risk. He does not seem like he would be a shrewd businessman.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Umm, am I the only one that thinks this doesnt make any sense??? I mean I could somewhat see him being appointed a HC despite not having any experience. But to appoint GM without having ANY front office experience at all??? Talk about taking a risk. He does not seem like he would be a shrewd businessman.
    My thoughts also. If your options are a guy who's pretty much been the GM for the Suns, or a guy who was an NBA Point Guard and now is a TV personality, that's not exactly a competition, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    Looks like it's working for Steve Kerr too.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    Looks like it's working for Steve Kerr too.
    At least Kerr has part ownership in the team he's going to run.

The sad thing is that since Griffin has turned them down...Jackson looks to be the favorite.

So . . . he would take the Grizzlies job but didn't want the Pacers job
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    So . . . he would take the Grizzlies job but didn't want the Pacers job
    Team president > head coach

1..2..3.. lil old blue sportsmusicxboxpacer's Avatar

money talks
    IF YOU A PACER FAN DONT BASH TO THE PACERS..!!!!!

it's up to God, guys.

Why is there such a big fuss over Mark Jackson here.

People act like it is a crime that he doesn't want to take an assistant coaching role but wants to be a head coach. Big deal. It's his life and his time. It's not like he is going around saying he should be the head coach instead of say Jim O'Brien or Rick Adelman. My gosh.

And he gets bashed for saying what he said about TPTB. Why? Hell i've felt the same way. It's not like we have had some seasons filled with joy lately. I can't blame him for not wanting to coach for Larry or Donnie right now. We don't even know who is making the decisions. Hell I don't know what Bird wants to do with this team. Last summer he wanted to get athletic and run and by mid season we trade for Dunleavy and Murphy.

Some are talking about needing front office experience. Umm I don't believe Larry did before he took over here. He just has had Donnie holding his hand and I don't know that has worked out well. You need one vision IMO. So anyways my point is Larry didn't need any experience so why does MJ?

Why are people still harping on this issue. It was a non issue IMO. Everyone just needs to get over the fact that Marc didn't want the job as the Pacers ****ing head coach so who cares? We aren't the dream team here, we are the lottery team. It is not the most attractive job regardless of if we want it to be. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by rommie View Post
    Why is there such a big fuss over Mark Jackson here.

People act like it is a crime that he doesn't want to take an assistant coaching role but wants to be a head coach. Big deal. It's his life and his time. It's not like he is going around saying he should be the head coach instead of say Jim O'Brien or Rick Adelman. My gosh.

And he gets bashed for saying what he said about TPTB. Why? Hell i've felt the same way. It's not like we have had some seasons filled with joy lately. I can't blame him for not wanting to coach for Larry or Donnie right now. We don't even know who is making the decisions. Hell I don't know what Bird wants to do with this team. Last summer he wanted to get athletic and run and by mid season we trade for Dunleavy and Murphy.

Some are talking about needing front office experience. Umm I don't believe Larry did before he took over here. He just has had Donnie holding his hand and I don't know that has worked out well. You need one vision IMO. So anyways my point is Larry didn't need any experience so why does MJ?

Why are people still harping on this issue. It was a non issue IMO. Everyone just needs to get over the fact that Marc didn't want the job as the Pacers ****ing head coach so who cares? We aren't the dream team here, we are the lottery team. It is not the most attractive job regardless of if we want it to be. Get over it.
    The point I was trying to make when I started this thread, was that we should feel sorry for Mark Jackson because the Pacers didn't interview him.

Quote Originally Posted by indyman37 View Post
    The point I was trying to make when I started this thread, was that we should feel sorry for Mark Jackson because the Pacers didn't interview him.
    Yeah I understand. It wasn't really this thread. It's just the whole entire thing that has been going on for a while since. It's like everyone can't accept the fact that Marc doesn't want to coach here. It's not really a big deal.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rommie View Post
    Yeah I understand. It wasn't really this thread. It's just the whole entire thing that has been going on for a while since. It's like everyone can't accept the fact that Marc doesn't want to coach here. It's not really a big deal.
    For what it's worth I enjoyed your rant and agree with it. He hasn't attempted to make an issue out of any of this, he's just answered truthfully (you assume).

If that hurts his chances at job, or helps for that matter, so be it, it's his life. It would be different if he was going around being an a'hole about it at every turn.

Actually roomie, Bird did work for Boston's front office after he retired. Of course, his definition of "work" was to fit in scouting a few college games around playing golf year-round in Florida. But then his back couldn't take the golf anymore, so he went looking for a coaching job.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!