Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jim O'Brien was on JMV Friday - Dan Burke is staying - all other current coaches gone

Default Jim O'Brien was on JMV Friday - Dan Burke is staying - all other current coaches gone

1260 AM WNDE -
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 06-01-2007 at 06:03 PM.

Default Re: Jim O'Brien will be on JMV in the 5:30 today

Bump, he's coming on next if interested

Default Re: Jim O'Brien will be on JMV at 5:30 today

Listening now...

wow man, he really, really sounds like jo is traded
    This is only my opinion. Please hold it against me.

Is there any way that us out of towners could get a summary of what he says?

Can someone give a recap when its done?

Two things of note even before the radio interview is over:

1) JOB is very enthused about being here. That's great! He doesn't sound like he's just saying the right things to impress the fans/media. He really sounds sincere.

2) He waffled on the JO trade rumor issue. I think that because he didn't come out and say, "I want JO to be here," but rather, "I'd love the chance to coach him," speaks loudly! Reading between the lines, a trade is definately in the works. It's just a matter of if the Pacers get something of value for him. The stop gap, however, according to JOB is IF JO wants out or not. So, it sounds to me like I've been saying for a while now that it's moreso up to JO than it is to Bird whether JO stays or goes. (See linked post #7 for my commentary on the matter, if interested)

Other than that, it was a good interview although nothing new came out of it that we haven't read in the media since news of his hiring was made public.

As to the radio interview, JOB didn't say too much concerning the team. He once again spoke of how excited he is for being hired and being a part of the basketball culture in Indiana. He confirmed that Dick Harter and one other member of his former Celtics coaching staff will return, and that's he's working on getting one other back who's currently under contract w/the Bucks. He commented that his wife noticed he had already put his game face on. I thought that was very funny, but it shows that this guy means business already and he hasn't been on the job but for barely 24-hrs now.

Other than that, there wasn't much else to it.
    Last edited by NuffSaid; 06-01-2007 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NuffSaid
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Two things of note even before the radio interview is over:

1) JOB is very enthused about being here. That's great! He doesn't sound like he's just saying the right things to impress the fans/media. He really sounds sincere.

2) He waffled on the JO trade rumor issue. I think that because he didn't come out and say, "I want JO to be here," but rather, "I'd love the chance to coach him," speaks loudly! Reading between the lines, a trade a definately in the works. It's just a matter of if the Pacers get something of value for him.

Other than that, it was a good interview although nothing new came out of it that we haven't read in the media since news of his hiring was made public.
    Thanks for the recap i appreciate it.
    "To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe." - Anatole France

Sounds like the entire coaching staff except Dan Burke is gone.

Harter is coming aboard for sure. Lester Conner is pretty much a done deal, we have permission to talk to him - he'll probably be the associate head coach, (Lester the molester) Jim mentioned another guy who was with him at Boston and Philly, I forget his name and he mentioned that Dan Burke is staying.

Dan Burke has been here longer than anyone except Donnie and the Simons. He predated Larry Bird in 1998, I think.

On JO: I'll repeat what I've been saying for 24 hours now, everything that I've heard O'Brien say tells me that JO likely will be traded. Jim said today on JMV something about the possiblity of JO asking for a trade. JMV did not ask him about that specifically, Jim brought it up - that seemed a little strange tyo me that he offered that up as a possiblity
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 06-01-2007 at 06:02 PM.

Default Re: Jim O'Brien was on JMV Friday - Dan Burke is staying - all other current coaches gone

For my taste, I hope JO thinks this issue through. He, like AJ, Sarunas, SJax and Artest before him, didn't care too much for RC's restictive system. Now, he's gone and a new coach is here who has gone on public record as saying he prefers a more open offense. Again, reading between the lines, that tells me he would rather players play their game and let their natural abilities shine through and play instintively than to have to rely on him calling each and every play. You couldn't ask for a better coaching situation than this!

JO, think it through, man! Think it through.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Jim O'Brien was on JMV Friday - Dan Burke is staying - all other current coaches gone

Who is Lester? I'm blanking right now.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by indyman37 View Post
    Is there any way that us out of towners could get a summary of what he says?
    WNDE.com streams Indyman. That's how I listen from over here.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NuffSaid View Post
    Again, reading between the lines, that tells me he would rather players play their game and let their natural abilities shine through and play instintively than to have to rely on him calling each and every play. You couldn't ask for a better coaching situation than this!
    When I read this part...the first thing I thought of was that SJax would be a good fit here under JOB's offense. After that, I smacked myself in the face for thinking such blashpemy.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Dan Burke is a cool guy. I'm glad he gets to stay. He let a handful of people including myself into the Pacers locker-room a few years ago during that Behind the Scenes thing that they hold at Conseco once a year. We technically weren't supposed to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    (Lester the molester)
    lol

Makes me think of Cormac McCarthy
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

What does Dan Burke do? I'm about as clued-in to his actual job as I am Paris Hilton's or Diddy's.

Quote Originally Posted by indy0731 View Post
    Who is Lester? I'm blanking right now.
    Lester Conner is an NBA assistant. He was a journey man point guard who also played for the Pacers in the early 90's when we made our run. He was a third string point guard for the Pacers and backed up Vern Fleming and Heywoode Workman. He seldom played but did a good job when he saw a couple of quarters of playing time in the playoffs when Vern had to go out of a game due to a injury.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    lol

Makes me think of Cormac McCarthy
    Personally, I'd rather think of Jenny McCarthy.

Quote Originally Posted by NuffSaid View Post
    For my taste, I hope JO thinks this issue through. He, like AJ, Sarunas, SJax and Artest before him, didn't care too much for RC's restictive system. Now, he's gone and a new coach is here who has gone on public record as saying he prefers a more open offense. Again, reading between the lines, that tells me he would rather players play their game and let their natural abilities shine through and play instintively than to have to rely on him calling each and every play. You couldn't ask for a better coaching situation than this!

JO, think it through, man! Think it through.
    Wouldn't you jump at the chance to play for Phil and with Kobe? I don't like either one of them, and I still would.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

All I know is the best things so far about this is that Chuck's defense is gone, JOB clearly will push the discipline aspect and Harter is back.

Obviously I think Rick is a better coach, but after Mike left I just didn't care for his staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    What does Dan Burke do? I'm about as clued-in to his actual job as I am Paris Hilton's or Diddy's.
    I got the impression that he reviewed film to put together scouting reports or something of that nature.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Is Mel Daniels gone too?
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by Big Smooth View Post
    I got the impression that he reviewed film to put together scouting reports or something of that nature.
    Yes he used to be the video guy - but that was 10 years ago. For the past several years he's been a full fledged assistant coach and last year he was helping Chuck Person out with the defense. Not sure how that worked out, but he's staying so someone must like him. He's survived 4 coaching regimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Yes he used to be the video guy - but that was 10 years ago. For the past several years he's been a full fledged assistant coach and last year he was helping Chuck Person out with the defense. Not sure how that worked out, but he's staying so someone must like him. He's survived 4 coaching regimes.
    Ah I see. Now that I think about it, I do remember him talking about how he got into coaching that way. Hard work can pay off.

Mike Brown started the same way under Bickerstaff in Denver.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!