Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We Need Chauncey Billups...

Default We Need Chauncey Billups...

add him to this current team and we are deff cooking! keep JO...Our offensive threat would be billups jo and granger...not bad
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: We Need Chauncey Billups...

How do we go about getting this Chauncey Billups you speak of?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wouldn't mind Dwight Howard...

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

I consume tiny briefs Robobtowncolt's Avatar

I've heard this Lebron James might be a good player someday....
    Narf!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Robobtowncolt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've heard this Lebron James might be a good player someday....
    Nah, all hype. He's gonna be a bum.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    I wouldn't mind Dwight Howard...
    Good call.

Yeah there is no way we can get Billups unless it is a sign and trade but why the Pistons would let Billups go to a division rival and what we even have they would take is unknown.

On top of that I don't think Jermaine is here next here and I don't think that Billups is worth the money to us that he will be given. Is he worth it to the Pistons? Yes but not to us because he is not a part of our current team and to me he is not a big time difference makers ala Tim Duncan or Kobe Bryant.

Onlypacerleft, could you buy me some of the drugs you used in the last few days?

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh woolus!
    I'm just thinking of all the fun games of watching 20 pt blowouts...and JUST WHEN I DECIDED I'D BUY LEAGUE PASS SO I COULD SEE THE PACERS SINCE I DON'T LIVE IN INDY...THIS HAPPENS. YAY
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyPacersLeft View Post
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh woolus!
    I'm just thinking of all the fun games of watching 20 pt blowouts...and JUST WHEN I DECIDED I'D BUY LEAGUE PASS SO I COULD SEE THE PACERS SINCE I DON'T LIVE IN INDY...THIS HAPPENS. YAY
    Dude seriously you seem like you are wound a little tight.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Tinsley + Raw Marshall should do it. Throw in Murphy to sweeten the pot (and make salaries match).

Quote Originally Posted by indy0731 View Post
    Dude seriously you seem like you are wound a little tight.
    I think all those headbands and wristbands are cutting off his circulation.

I kid because I love.

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaDave View Post
    Tinsley + Raw Marshall should do it. Throw in Murphy to sweeten the pot (and make salaries match).
    I can't wait for the Dunleavy/Foster/Harrison/Greene deal for Rip/Prince deal to go down, either.

JO
    Ike/Baston
    Prince/Granger/Williams
    Rip/Quis
    Billups/McLeod/Army

What? Shawne Williams in the third string? :blasphemy:
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Sh4d3 View Post
    I can't wait for the Dunleavy/Foster/Harrison/Greene deal for Rip/Prince deal to go down, either.

JO
    Ike/Baston
    Prince/Granger/Williams
    Rip/Quis
    Billups/McLeod/Army

Then trade Quis, Baston, Williams, and a future lottery-protected first to Portland for Aldridge and the #1 pick.

And then trade the city of Indianapolis for Manhattan and Brooklyn.

And then pick up the dancing banana smiley off waivers to backup the PG position.

And hire Thunderbird14whatever as assistant (to the) head coach.

Banned

Let's just do this whole rebuilding thing the right way (the Jazz/Spurs/Cavs/Bulls way) and stop going for quick fixes. Besides, unless JO is involved (which would make bringing in Billups pointless) we dont have what it takes to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Y2J View Post
    Let's just do this whole rebuilding thing the right way (the Jazz/Spurs/Cavs/Bulls way) and stop going for quick fixes. Besides, unless JO is involved (which would make bringing in Billups pointless) we dont have what it takes to get the job done.

The Cavs and Spurs got lucky in the draft. The Cavs tanked for the best chance, the Spurs had a horrific injury season and leapfrogged several teams.

The Jazz and Bulls watched a pair of Hall of Fame players retire and had 3-4 solid drafts coupled with a big free-agent signing.

Which do you propose we follow?

We could follow the Cavs and trade away JO for nothing so that we suck. We could hire the Mafia to injure our players to replicate the Spurs.

We could also trade Murphy/Dunleavy/Tinsley for as many expiring contracts as possible, while letting JO walk. Suck for five years, make solid draft picks, and sign an All-Star in free agency like the Jazz/Bulls.

I don't know if I would quite recommend any of these, but I'm just laying it out there.
    Last edited by FlavaDave; 06-01-2007 at 03:50 PM.

What are we going to sign him with? Hopes and dreams?

And there is no way in hell you could be 26 years old. 14 years old max. Dude posts like he just left The Carter and got a whole bunch of base.

Banned

The Cavs and Spurs got lucky in the draft. The Cavs tanked for the best chance, the Spurs had a horrific injury season and leapfrogged several teams.

The Jazz and Bulls watched a pair of Hall of Fame players retire and had 3-4 solid drafts coupled with a big free-agent signing.

Which do you propose we follow?

We could follow the Cavs and trade away JO for nothing so that we suck. We could hire the Mafia to injure our players to replicate the Spurs.

We could also trade Murphy/Dunleavy/Tinsley for as many expiring contracts as possible, while letting JO walk. Suck for five years, make solid draft picks, and sign an All-Star in free agency like the Jazz/Bulls.

I don't know if I would quite recommend any of these, but I'm just laying it out there.
    All teams rebuilt via the draft, and a lesser extent, free agency. That's what I suggest the Pacers do.

Spurs (Duncan, Parker, Manu - DRAFTED)
    Jazz (Williams, AK-47 - DRAFTED Boozer, Okur - SIGNED)
    Cavs (LeBron, Varejao - DRAFTED Hughes - SIGNED)
    Bulls (Deng, Gordon, Thomas - DRAFTED Wallace, Noccioni - SIGNED)

These teams all went young and rebuilt via the draft and free agency. They didn't trade for 32 year olds about to be signed to long term $50M+ contracts in order to temporarily improve the team, yet further kill it in the long run.

Then trade Quis, Baston, Williams, and a future lottery-protected first to Portland for Aldridge and the #1 pick.

And then trade the city of Indianapolis for Manhattan and Brooklyn.

And then pick up the dancing banana smiley off waivers to backup the PG position.

And hire Thunderbird14whatever as assistant (to the) head coach.
    You make some good points here.

All teams rebuilt via the draft, and a lesser extent, free agency. That's what I suggest the Pacers do.

These teams all went young and rebuilt via the draft and free agency. They didn't trade for 32 year olds about to be signed to long term $50M+ contracts in order to temporarily improve the team, yet further kill it in the long run.
    With the exception of the Spurs, all of those teams were terrible for years. YEARS. Is that also what you're suggesting the Pacers do?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

The Spurs and Cavs will meet in the finals in large part because they got lucky. Both got #1 picks in a year with a surefire franchise player.

My point is that the only definite plan we can make is to follow the blueprint of the Bulls and the Jazz (suck for a few years, hit on all your lottery picks, clear cap room, sign a big free agent or two). If we get lucky in the process, great.

But you can't plan on being the next Spurs or Cavs. Ask Boston and Memphis about that.

So we can't intentionally follow San Antonio or Cleveland.

The part where we are kind of screwed is that we can't follow the model of Chicago or Utah just yet. JO, Murphy, Dunleavy, Daniels, and Tinsley have made it so that we can't clear cap room for 3 years.

That's why I would trade JO and Murphy for Bynum, Brown, Odom and #19. Assuming we can spin Odom and #19 into a top ten pick and an expiring, we can cut $10-20 million off of the cap while aquiring two draft picks (counting Bynum as a pick). That's a head start. Then will will have two more lottery picks to add to Granger/Ike/Williams/Bynum when Tinsley and the rest go off the books. That summer, we would have another pick (possibly not a lottery pick since the team has had time to grow) with cap room as well.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    With the exception of the Spurs, all of those teams were terrible for years. YEARS. Is that also what you're suggesting the Pacers do?
    Those teams were terrible for years and years because they botched the rebuilding process with horrible, horrible drafting. If you draft right, the rebuilding process takes only a few years.

Let's use the Bulls as an example. They had basically had 2 rebuilding processes, one under Jerry Krause, which started out with some good moves all of which he botched badly, and the present one started by John Paxson.

Jerry Krause (1998-2003)
    1999 - Draft Elton Brand - Good
    1999 - Draft Pre-Completely Insane Ron Artest - Good
    2000 - Sign Brad Miller - Good
    2000 - Draft Marcus Fizer - Horrible
    2000 - Draft Jamal Crawford (via draft night swap with Cavs for Chris Mihm) - Bad
    2001 - Trade Elton Brand for Tyson Chandler - Horrible
    2001 - Draft Eddy Curry - So-So
    2002 - Trade Artest and Miller for Jalen Rose and his enormous contract - Horrible
    2002 - Draft Jay Williams - Horrible
    2003 - Resign amidst the team being as bad now as when you started the rebuilding process 5 years ago.

Basically 5 years wasted due to an incompetent GM. I will give Jerry Krause a bit of a break, the 2000 draft was horrible and no one knew Jay Williams was an idiot at the time.

John Paxson (2003-)
    2003 - Fire Bill Cartwright, hire Scott Skiles - Good
    2003 - Draft Kirk Hinrich - Good
    2004 - Draft Ben Gordon - Good
    2005 - Draft Luol Deng (via trade with Phoenix) - Good
    2005 - Sign Andres Noccioni - Good
    2006 - Trade Eddy Curry to the Knicks for their 2006 1st (ended up being #4) and the rights to swap picks in 2007 (ended up being #23 for #9) - Good
    2006 - Sign Ben Wallace - Good

So once the Bulls 2nd rebuilding process began in 2003, it was filled with excellent moves, and as a result, it only took 2 seasons to return to the playoffs. And as they stand now, they probably have the brightest future in the East. Not too shabby.

As for the Jazz, they missed the playoffs a whopping 3 years before heading right back to the Western Conference Finals with a team thats not even close to peaked. I'd gladly take that.

i think people who are for completely rebuilding need to be very, very careful. the pacers have not done that well in the draft in recent years. yes, we got granger two years ago, but NO ONE thought he would slide that far down, and honestly, im shocked larry had the sense to pick him.

im not sure its fair to give a full assessment on harrison, granger, or shawne williams yet, but i also dont think any of them, including granger, are close to being the savior that we need them to be.

i understand fans who don't want to be in the middle every year, and im right there with you. but lottery draft picks do not ensure success. they dont even come close, especially with the likes of a talent evaluator in bird, who traded this year's second rounder to get james white before they cut him.

until we get a front office that can get players like ginobli, parker, nowitzki, barbosa, bell, diaw, etc. instead of sarunas jasi-cant-play-any-d-vic, primoz brezec, erazem lorbek, and all the other foreign players that you still refer to using two names, then i dont see us making many great decisions in the draft where luck isnt involved (granger).
    This is only my opinion. Please hold it against me.

Quote Originally Posted by clemdogg View Post
    primoz brezec
    Hey man, don't be dissing Peanut Butter.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!