117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

81 69.23%
  • No

36 30.77%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Official Jim O'Brien Poll

Default Official Jim O'Brien Poll

Perhaps we should give this some more time, but I think a gut-reaction type poll might be interesting.

Was Jim O'Brien a good choice?
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Official Jim O'Brien Poll

meh...
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    meh...
    Ditto. I don't dislike the choice and I certainly can see him having some positive impact. But is it enough to have me thrilled or anything? Nope. Just meh.

I was never a fan of his when he was in Boston and most of the Celts fans I'm friends with were generally underwhelmed by his coaching ability.

That said, he's coming to a team with basically no talent and little expectations, so overachieving isn't out of the question if he can motivate them to play their asses off every single day.

Most of the Celtics fans I asked around here didn't really have anything bad to say about him, and they usually have something bad to say about ANYTHING.....

i voted yes simply because i am willing to give the guy a chance. but i know that we really won't know for sure until we are a good ways into the actual season.

I certainly know who he is, but not much about him. What is his style? Is he like Sloan or Skiles? Mitchell? The main thing I would like to see is a coach with a backbone...but one who will not detract from team chemistry.

Jim O'Brien...LOL
    (My gut reaction was to laugh at this news)

I didn't vote yes or no. Like others - MEH
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

I voted yes because Larry made a convincing case that they're on the same page (and Larry's not a very good liar.) That's the most important thing. I think SVG's a better coach, but he and Larry wouldn't have worked well together at all.

I just hope to god he's lightened up on the "jack it up" offense he's run in the past. I think it would have been too much when Reggie and Mullin were here, so lord knows we don't need to be doing that now.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

it is amazing to me how the tide has turned. if this poll was taken about an hour after the news got out. it would have been 75% against. But after the press conference, after the announcement that harter is coming and after everyone gets used to the idea a little, things are about 75% in favor

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I vote no only off of gut reaction. The truth is I don't know much about him and am willing to give him a chance. However, his previous tenures do not impress me.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Reggie didn't like it b/c he wanted Mark Jackson to get a phone call!?! Umm ok??

Quote Originally Posted by clownskull View Post
    i voted yes simply because i am willing to give the guy a chance. but i know that we really won't know for sure until we are a good ways into the actual season.
    Pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    Reggie didn't like it b/c he wanted Mark Jackson to get a phone call!?! Umm ok??
    Guess Mark didn't tell his buddy about what he said to the New York Post (saying he wanted no part of us because of Donnie/Larry not knowing what they're doing [basically]).

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

The reason I said:
    meh...

I was never really that impressed with what I seen with him as a Celtic, but I'm more then willing to see what he can do with what we have. I don't hate the selection...With what was available...I believe he is a good selection of the experienced coaches out there, for the money!

I guess my reaction was blah because I'm more afraid of what is going to happen to the roster.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Dick Harter is coming too? See... this is what happens when the evil internet police accidentally mistake your favorite site for a gambling site and you work until ten pm on the night the Pacers hire a new coach.

If Dick Harter is coming this gets a big old from me.

I've got no real problem with O'Brien - two (at this time) minor concerns...

1) His teams historically love the three point shot. And you all know I hate the three point shot unless its used sparingly. He comes from the Rick Pittino school that foolishly believes passively shooting 33% from outside the arc is better than shooting 50% from inside the arc.

2) From reading the press conference, I'm really warming up to Seth's notion that Larry Bird is still solving problems we don't have. Do we have anybody left on our team that needs the discipline O'Brien is talking about? All the real knuckleheads have been traded.

O'Brien is very fundamental - I'll enjoy that and it should mix well with our fundamentally sound players like Dunleavy, Granger, Daniels, Ike, etc. JO's fundamentals aren't bad, and neither are Tinsley's (although he doesn't always play in a fundamental style).

In fact, when contrasting O'Brien and Carlisle, I'd say Jim is to "fundamentals" as Rick is to "control." They're both top-fifteen coaches, Rick just gets overrated because of his success early-on in the inept EC. But who was he battling with? O'Brien.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    2) From reading the press conference, I'm really warming up to Seth's notion that Larry Bird is still solving problems we don't have. Do we have anybody left on our team that needs the discipline O'Brien is talking about? All the real knuckleheads have been traded.
    This might not be the correct thread for this discussion. But I don't interpret discipline in this context to mean being strict with a ton of rules and a coach who is going to yell and scream. And the coach cannot impact off the court stuff.

One thing I took from the press conference is that Bird likes how Jim runs his practices which he has very hard practices.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This might not be the correct thread for this discussion. But I don't interpret discipline in this context to mean being strict with a ton of rules and a coach who is going to yell and scream. And the coach cannot impact off the court stuff.

One thing I took from the press conference is that Bird likes how Jim runs his practices which he has very hard practices.
    Thats good I guess. I always got the impression that Rick was a terrible practice coach, but a good in-game coach. I dont have any grounds for that assumption, but I just got the feeling judging by the way NONE of our players ever improved their game besides JO.

Btw, I voted no.

Another Bird blunder. I'm pretty sure if you put "Meh" or "Indifferent" as a poll choice, that the vast majority of "Yes" votes would move in that direction.

Puke.

hmmm ... not inspiring ... not dramatic ...

but in my opinion necessary ... we dont want huge amounts of dram ... we hav had enough! .. we want to build and work hard to start to turn around the direction we are heading ... i think we could have made a lot worse decisions

Voted Yes
    'All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.'
    Animal Farm, by George Orwell

woman without a team

If one of the goals for the Pacers brass is to get me to go games again hiring O'Brien as the coach is not a good choice. I'm not saying that because they didn't hire Boylan. I've seen O'Brien coach. I wasn't impressed.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    it is amazing to me how the tide has turned. if this poll was taken about an hour after the news got out. it would have been 75% against. But after the press conference, after the announcement that harter is coming and after everyone gets used to the idea a little, things are about 75% in favor
    I dont think people are all that excited about O'Brien. They are just relieved we did not do worse. I know that after SVG said no I thought for sure we would end up with the worst coach in the NBA. O'Brien hiring coming on the same day that everyone thinks we are trading J.O. and Jamaal for a bag of crap makes us think "well it could have been worse".

Saying at least it was not worse is not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Edit: to me it was more of a "at least we did not hire Brendan Malone"
    Last edited by Ragnar; 06-01-2007 at 10:13 AM.

Its really not fair to say something this fast... I say lets give him a chance! Voted Yes!

Harter makes it a definite win.

I lived in Boston for all of the O'Brien years. They were better and played harder under him than they did for the coaches both before and after him.

Not a real inspiring hire, but pretty safe, almost like SVG would have been. A Dick Harter defense makes it a very solid choice however. A real big man coach would make it even better.

If Harter is coming in, this may mean Chuck Person is out, unless he has a different role (shooting coach, player development?). Hopefully they can keep him in one of these roles, since he was pretty horribly miscast as a defensive coach anyway.

I kind of think O'Brien's love for Tinsley will fade if he shows up to practices impaired from night on the town, as rumored to have happened occasionally.