Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
Results 176 to 200 of 268

Thread: Jim O'Brien is new head coach

  1. #176
    year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lafayette, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    4,291

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien is new head coach

    Have the terms of the contract been announced?
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

  2. #177
    Member Mr.ThunderMakeR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,088

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien is new head coach

    Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you also remember back to when O'Brien coached at Boston a main reason he left was because Ainge wanted to go young -O'Brien had no desire to be part of rebuilding. Thats why this hiring to me shows Bird is not wanting to rebuild and go young but instead approaching it as this is a playoff team just needs tweaking.

    I'd have preferred if JO is being traded to just rebuild and go with a young coach. But hey 8th seed is the playoffs appears to be the goal.
    This just makes me sick. Wasnt there a big a spiel last summer about how they were no longer happy to just make the playoffs and wanted to do whatever it takes to be contenders? I guess that mindset didnt last long at all.

  3. #178
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,599

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien is new head coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I cant wait to see someone get Tinsley,Murphy and Dunleavy to play good defense.
    A team with Mark Jackson, Reggie Miller, and Rik Smits couldn't possibly play good defense either.

    But they did.

    A good defensive coach can do a whole lot to cover the weaknesses of multiple defenders. And Harter is a really, really good one.

    No, he's not going to turn Murphy to a lock-down defender. Nobody is saying that.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  4. #179
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    26,386

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien is new head coach

    Jim...O'Brien?

    At least you won't have to worry about 3-point shooting anymore. Obie builds his offense around it.

    Tinsley jacking up 8 threes a game is going to be interesting to watch.

    2013 Pacers Digest NBA 2K13 Champion (Xbox 360)

  5. #180
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,720

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien is new head coach

    Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you also remember back to when O'Brien coached at Boston a main reason he left was because Ainge wanted to go young -O'Brien had no desire to be part of rebuilding. Thats why this hiring to me shows Bird is not wanting to rebuild and go young but instead approaching it as this is a playoff team just needs tweaking.

    I'd have preferred if JO is being traded to just rebuild and go with a young coach. But hey 8th seed is the playoffs appears to be the goal.
    This is exactly like a Larry Bird and Donnie Walsh move. Just do a little something to make this team just good enough to sneak into the East playoffs and get beat. We have a horrible front office.

  6. #181
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    26,386

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien is new head coach

    This seems like a screwy hire to me...

    I'd rather have had Dirk Harter as my head coach, with Obie as an assistant coach instructing players where the three-point line was.

    I have all the respect in the world for Harter. One of the top assistants in the game.

    2013 Pacers Digest NBA 2K13 Champion (Xbox 360)

  7. #182
    Member larry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    36
    Posts
    581

    Thumbs down Re: Jim O'Brien is new head coach

    I REALLY WANTED TO GIVE A NEW GUY A FRESH START
    WE HAVE RETREADED AN OLD COACH
    B4 I JUDGE WHAT IS HIS OVERALL RECORD?
    I THINK I WILL GO LOOK FOR A YEARLY BREAKDOWN
    THIS ISNT WHAT I HAD IN MIND MAN
    1 - 2, Tinsley's coming for you.
    3 - 4, You're not a team no more.
    5 - 6, He's gonna plead the 5th.
    7 - 8, He's gonna stay out late.




  8. #183
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,585
    Mood

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien is new head coach

    Here's the video I mentioned earlier:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxZ1m9Szkbc

  9. #184
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    553

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien is new head coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jim...O'Brien?

    At least you won't have to worry about 3-point shooting anymore. Obie builds his offense around it.

    Tinsley jacking up 8 threes a game is going to be interesting to watch.
    Flip....Saunders?

    At least you wont have to worry about losing to the Spurs in the Finals anymore.


  10. #185
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,720

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien is new head coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here's the video I mentioned earlier:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxZ1m9Szkbc
    Sounds to me like he wasnt very confident in Jermaine coming back.

  11. #186
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien is new head coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hold on... you start by spewing out some negative stuff... before you even know what kind of coach he is . Isn't that kind of... premature?

    For the record: this came totally out of nowhere, but I love this choice.

    He worked in Boston and his players really liked him there and he got them going again after Pitino.

    Regards,

    Mourning
    There is nothing premature about Dick Harter!!!! Huh? Oh, you meant O'Brien - sorry!
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

  12. #187
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    29,147

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien is new head coach

    Too lazy to read through all of this...Is Harter definetely going to be an assistant? Cause if so I can live with this hire.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  13. #188
    Member indyman37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    891

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien is new head coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here's the video I mentioned earlier:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxZ1m9Szkbc
    Big things I noticed during interview:
    1. When asked about turning team around: "Well I'm hoping it doesn't take very long. Our intent is getting back into the playoffs next year. I think it has already started with the trade. I think getting Murphy, Dunleavy, those two guys, McLeod, and Ike, I think it's already started."
    2. When asked about trading JO: "I would love to coach him. But Larry has said if he was ever going to trade Jermaine, he would make sure he got some quality players back."
    First off, I have the feeling that we acquired in the GS trade will be back on our roster next season. But I also got the feeling that there is definitely more than a 50% chance of Jermaine getting trade this offseason.

  14. #189
    Member Mr.ThunderMakeR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,088

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien is new head coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here's the video I mentioned earlier:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxZ1m9Szkbc
    He called him Eddie Murphy, our new coach is a tard.

    Edit: Image added as appropriate
    Last edited by Mr.ThunderMakeR; 06-01-2007 at 02:45 AM.

  15. #190

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien is new head coach

    My, the negativity.

    This completely out of left field--and it shows that the management can still play its cards.

    As for the coach himself, he is a bit unorthodox with his emphasis on shooting threes, but he'd probably be foolish to attempt that philosophy with this bunch. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember this identity applying to his tenure in Philly. A good choice, though. It will be interesting to see what he can do with JO.

  16. #191
    Member OTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    80
    Posts
    206

    Talking Re: Jim O'Brien is new head coach

    I see that Donnie has done a very job of training Larry. Look for the same surpraises about trades.

  17. #192
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    31,964

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien is new head coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why hasnt he ever been a head coach? Not trying to knock on him, I am honestly wondering why.
    He was for the Charlotte Hornets in their first two or three years in the league. And I thought he did a good job, his teams always played extremely hard, but he didn't seem to like it. I think the self-induced pressure was too much for him (he also was a head coach in college for several years) Harter is an extremely intense individual who I think took losses really hard when he was coaching the Hornets. Plus he is now something like 72 years old

  18. #193
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien is new head coach

    Quote Originally Posted by obnoxiousmodesty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Have the terms of the contract been announced?
    I wonder if he got Billy Donovan type money
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

  19. #194
    Go Paytherth! rel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Atlanta
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,813

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien is new head coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here's the video I mentioned earlier:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxZ1m9Szkbc
    Apparently Eddie Murphy is our newest acquisition

    if you listen to O'brien, he slips an "eddie" where a troy should be

    EDIT...Mr. Thundermaker caught it before me

  20. #195

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien is new head coach

    Hi guys, I just heard about Jim O'Brien.

    Here is some info from his year in Philly.

    He definitely got the team to overachieve he was fired because he had a different opinion than Billy King about Dalembert & Webber.

    Iverson loved playing for him, he gives his stars freedom to freelance as long as they play hard for him. If the Pacers keep JO he will probably have a monster year.

    Defensively his likes to front the post but he also likes to have help behind the man fronting the post which makes it difficult for post entry passes. The Sixers frustrated Shaq that season despite having weak defensive frontcourt players.

    The downside to his defense by packing the lane the Sixers gave up a ton of three pointers when teams had good ball movement against them. The weak side baseline three is open all night with his defense but it is still a good defense because it forces teams to beat you from outside. The Sixers had trouble executing it consistently because Dalembert had a low basketball IQ and would miss rotations and Webber couldn't move.

    Offensively, a lot of "freelancing" and three pointers. He loves to play uptempo and push the ball. If you like basic fundamental offensive basketball you'll probably pull your hair out with O'Brien's system because you'll see some sloppy execution on 3-2 fastbreaks etc.,, He is pretty much the exact opposite of Carlisle in terms of managing the offense.

    I think he has a tendency to push the pace too much offensively for road games. I remember when the Sixers were playing at Phoenix it was their 3rd game in 4 nights on a west coast trip. They interviewed O'Brien before the game and he said he wanted to push the ball and play uptempo against them. I was thinking why would you want to play a fast tempo when your team is dead tired on the road against Phoenix? They ended up getting ran out of the gym so he is kind of stubborn in that regard.


    He loves good athletes who can pressure the ball and get up the court. Granger should flourish in his system. I think he has a good eye for talent and setting his 8 man rotation. The 1st thing he did in Philly in training camp was send Glenn Robinson home and insert Iguodala into the starting lineup even though he was only a rookie.

    Somebody mentioned him not playing youth in Boston. That wasn't a problem at all in Philly, like I said he started Iggy all 82 games as a rookie and he started Korver most of the games and he was only in his 2nd season.

    He isn't an elite coach but he is decent. He got a raw deal in Philly. He had the team competitive against a very good Pistons team in the playoffs and Cheeks took over the same starting 5 and the team went in the tank.

  21. #196
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,720

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien is new head coach

    I'm sure Danny will enjoy Obie, no driving to the bucket. Just launch them up Danny.

  22. #197

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien is new head coach

    Dipper! Good to see you. Hope life is going well.

  23. #198
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    31,964

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien is new head coach

    Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To me the hiring of Jim O'Brien is a terrible move.

    As Celtic coach he was critized for:
    1. Playing favorites letting Walker and Pierce do as they pleased but coming down hard on the others.

    2. Not playing young players - he was behind trading Joe Johnson to the Suns for vets Tony Delk and Rodney Rogers

    His offense was chuck up 3's and isolate his stars Walker and Pierce.

    To me this seems to point to Bird thinking this team is a playoff team and just needs a new coach. In many ways he's a slightly diff version of Carlisle. Unless O'Brien has changed and will play youth seems like a bad fit for a re-building team.
    You make some very good points that I agree with, however, I really disagree with a couple of your points.

    O'Brien did not let Pierce and Walker do whatever they wanted - they played as good of defense as they were capable of, O'Brien insisted on that and as long as they did that they were given a lot of freedom offensively.

    He does play vets, he does rely on his star players and he will play his stars a lot of minutes. He doesn't have a "regular substitution pattern" though and yes he does favor the starters.

  24. #199

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien is new head coach

    Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You've got to be kidding me. We get the chance at some young, potential-ridden coaches who respond well to the modern NBA dynamic and we choose Jim O'Brien?

    This franchise is going down the ****ing drain.
    While the rest of the league is looking for athletic players that can shoot in order to play the exciting style of NBA bball

    INdiana is targeting plodders who can't shoot so they can play BIG TEN BBALL

    Who cares if JO is a good defensive coach and a disciplinarian. This isn't the BIG TEN.

    PUt a competitive team on the floor and someone who can coach up tempo ball.

    Bird really needs to leave.

  25. #200
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,720

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien is new head coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You make some very good points that I agree with, however, I really disagree with a couple of your points.

    O'Brien did not let Pierce and Walker do whatever they wanted - they played as good of defense as they were capable of, O'Brien insisted on that and as long as they did that they were given a lot of freedom offensively.

    He does play vets, he does rely on his star players and he will play his stars a lot of minutes. He doesn't have a "regular substitution pattern" though and yes he does favor the starters.
    What if we trade JO and have no stars?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •