Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Jim O'Brien is new head coach

Default Re: Jim O'Brien is new head coach

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like when asked about his style how O"Brien said he's a disciplinarian, but NOT when it comes to tempo. If the team needs to run against the Suns they'll do so, but we'll also be able to slow it down with a team that walks it up.

And the TEAM being able to defend, with individuals being held accountable for there defense was also a plus!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NuffSaid View Post
    Who's Mr. Harter?
    Dick Harter.

http://www.nba.com/coachfile/dick_harter/index.html

Dick Harter
    College - Pennsylvania '53
    Dick Harter, regarded as one of the top defensive minds in basketball, joined the Sixers coaching staff on May 5, 2004. Harter has enjoyed a long and successful history in the game, having worked for over 50 seasons as both a head coach and as an assistant under some of the game’s all-time greats.

Harter began his NBA coaching career under Chuck Daly with the Detroit Pistons (1983-86), as the club recorded three-consecutive winning seasons for the first time in franchise history. He left Detroit followint the 1985-86 season to serve as an assistant under Jack Ramsay at Indiana (1986-88). In 1988, he became the head coach of the Charlotte Hornets (1988-90) for Charlotte’s inaugural season.

Harter has also worked on the staffs of Pat Riley with the New York Knicks (1991-94), P.J. Carlesimo in Portland (1994-97), Larry Bird with the Indiana Pacers (1997-2000) and Jim O’Brien in Boston (2001-04).

While serving as an assistant for Bird in Indiana, the Pacers collected two Central Division titles and made one appearance in the NBA Finals. Bird credited Harter and his input as one of the reasons the team enjoyed so much success in that stretch, as well as a major factor in his winning the NBA’s Coach of the Year Award in 1998.

Harter boasts a collegiate head-coaching record of 295-196 (.601) mark having served as a head coach in the college ranks for 18 seasons. Harter’s first stint as a head coach came during the 1965-66 season when he served as the head coach at Rider University (N.J.) where he guided the Broncs to a 16-9 record. After one season at Rider, he returned to his alma mater, the University of Pennsylvania, where he replaced Jack McCloskey as head coach of the Quakers. Harter led the Quakers to an 88-44 (.667) record from 1966-71, including back-to-back Ivy League Championships and NCAA Tournament appearances (1970, 1971). His greatest year came in 1970-71, when the Quakers finished the season 28-1, eventually losing to Villanova in the NCAA Tournament East Region Finals. That year, UPenn finished third in both the AP and UPI polls.

Following his stint with the Quakers, Harter served as the head coach at the University of Oregon, leading the Ducks to a 112-82 (.577) record over seven seasons (1971-78). His tenure at Oregon was highlighted by his “Kamikaze Kids” ending UCLA's 98-game home winning streak at Pauley Pavilion. He later served as head coach at Penn State (1978-83), compiling a 79-61 (.564) mark.

Harter is a member of the Big Five Hall of Fame. He is also a member of both the University of Pennsylvania Hall of Fame and the University of Oregon Hall of Fame. Most recently, he was inducted into the State of Pennsylvania Hall of Fame (Pottstown Chapter) in October 2002.

Much like O'Brien, Harter’s intense interest and knowledge of the game stems from his involvement in Philadelphia basketball. After graduating from the University of Pennsylvania (’53), Harter served for two years in the United States Marine Corp. as a first lieutenant and then coached for two years at the high school level. He accepted an assistant coaching position at his alma mater under McCloskey, where he remained for seven years (1958-65). Of all the great basketball minds he has worked with, it is McCloskey - who later engineered the great Pistons squads of the 1980s - who Harter calls “the greatest influence” on his basketball life.
    Harter (10/14/30) and his wife, Mari, spend the off-season in Lake Willoughby, Vt.
    Last edited by indyman37; 06-01-2007 at 01:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    I like when asked about his style how O"Brien said he's a disciplinarian, but NOT when it comes to tempo. If the team needs to run against the Suns they'll do so, but we'll also be able to slow it down with a team that walks it up.
    I dont agree with your intepretation of what he was saying, but if youre right then we will still be trying to match up to other teams instead of enforcing our own style of play on them, and I dont think that works. And anyone who trys to run with the Suns just gets slaughtered.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac View Post
    Spewing out what negative stuff? We hired a defensive coach on a team where the players suck on defense. I dont got nothing against Jim O'Brien but this team didnt need a defensive coach.
    I think your thinking is completely backwards - doesn't it make more sense to hire a defensive coach when you have weak defenders - especially someone who coaches team defense.

Dick Harter is coming to town - that is great news - I honestly didn't think he would

Dick Harter?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Scott
    That's what she said.

Who's Mr. Harter?
    good ol Dick. Was the pacers defensive coach when Bird was the coach back in the day. He is one of the best defensive coaches around.

I will add though that I did like the part where he said that, like Larry, he loves hardnosed basketball. If he manages to get these softies playing some hardnosed b-ball, my opinion of him will quickly improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    I dont agree with your intepretation of what he was saying, but if youre right then we will still be trying to match up to other teams instead of enforcing our own style of play on them, and I dont think that works. And anyone who trys to run with the Suns just gets slaughtered.
    Well that's what I took, sorry if I misunderstood, I thought I had paraphased what he said pretty well.

I don't think it's necessarily "matching up" with others. He believes that this team can be flexible and play multiple styles when needed

Who's Mr. Harter?
    He has been a long, long time assistant coach (he was The Hornets first ever head coach) But he was an assistant under Jack ramsey when he was the pacers coach and then he was an assistant under Bird when he was the pacers coach and the fact that Dick Harter was able to get that pacers team 1998-2000 to play good defense is all you really should need to hear. Look at the individual defenders, and they aren't any better than they are now.

Also the job Harter did as an assistant with the Celtics in was amazing - another great job of getting poor defenders to buy into team defense.

I also would recommend anyone who wants to know more about Harter to read larry Bird's book from 1999. "Bird Watching"

I think in 25 years if a book is written about great assistant coaches in the NBA, Dick Harter won't just be one of the alltime greats - the book will likely be named after him and if an award is ever given out for "assistant coach of the year" it will be named the Dick Harter award.

Harter is generally considered the best NBA assistant coach over the past 20 years
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 06-01-2007 at 02:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    He has been a long, long time assistant coach (he was The Hornets first ever head coach) But he was an assistant under Jack ramsey when he was the pacers coach and then he was an assistant under Bird when he was the pacers coach and the fact that Dick Harter was able to get that pacers team 1998-2000 to play good defense is all you really should need to hear. Look at the individual defenders, and they aren't any better than they are now.

Also the job Harter did as an assistant with the Celtics in was amazing - another great job of getting poor defenders to buy into team defense.

I also would recommend anyone who wants to know more about Harter to read larry Bird's book from 1999. "Bird Watching"

I think in 25 year if a book is written about great assistant coaches in the NBA Dick Harter won't just be one of the alltime greats - the book will likely be named after him and if an award is ever given out for "assistant coach of the year" it will be named the Dick Harter award.
    Why hasnt he ever been a head coach? Not trying to knock on him, I am honestly wondering why.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by indyman37 View Post
    Dick Harter.

http://www.nba.com/coachfile/dick_harter/index.html

Dick Harter
    College - Pennsylvania '53
    Dick Harter, regarded as one of the top defensive minds in basketball, joined the Sixers coaching staff on May 5, 2004. Harter has enjoyed a long and successful history in the game, having worked for over 50 seasons as both a head coach and as an assistant under some of the game’s all-time greats.

Harter began his NBA coaching career under Chuck Daly with the Detroit Pistons (1983-86), as the club recorded three-consecutive winning seasons for the first time in franchise history. He left Detroit followint the 1985-86 season to serve as an assistant under Jack Ramsay at Indiana (1986-88). In 1988, he became the head coach of the Charlotte Hornets (1988-90) for Charlotte’s inaugural season.

Harter has also worked on the staffs of Pat Riley with the New York Knicks (1991-94), P.J. Carlesimo in Portland (1994-97), Larry Bird with the Indiana Pacers (1997-2000) and Jim O’Brien in Boston (2001-04).

While serving as an assistant for Bird in Indiana, the Pacers collected two Central Division titles and made one appearance in the NBA Finals. Bird credited Harter and his input as one of the reasons the team enjoyed so much success in that stretch, as well as a major factor in his winning the NBA’s Coach of the Year Award in 1998.

Harter boasts a collegiate head-coaching record of 295-196 (.601) mark having served as a head coach in the college ranks for 18 seasons. Harter’s first stint as a head coach came during the 1965-66 season when he served as the head coach at Rider University (N.J.) where he guided the Broncs to a 16-9 record. After one season at Rider, he returned to his alma mater, the University of Pennsylvania, where he replaced Jack McCloskey as head coach of the Quakers. Harter led the Quakers to an 88-44 (.667) record from 1966-71, including back-to-back Ivy League Championships and NCAA Tournament appearances (1970, 1971). His greatest year came in 1970-71, when the Quakers finished the season 28-1, eventually losing to Villanova in the NCAA Tournament East Region Finals. That year, UPenn finished third in both the AP and UPI polls.

Following his stint with the Quakers, Harter served as the head coach at the University of Oregon, leading the Ducks to a 112-82 (.577) record over seven seasons (1971-78). His tenure at Oregon was highlighted by his “Kamikaze Kids” ending UCLA's 98-game home winning streak at Pauley Pavilion. He later served as head coach at Penn State (1978-83), compiling a 79-61 (.564) mark.

Harter is a member of the Big Five Hall of Fame. He is also a member of both the University of Pennsylvania Hall of Fame and the University of Oregon Hall of Fame. Most recently, he was inducted into the State of Pennsylvania Hall of Fame (Pottstown Chapter) in October 2002.

Much like O'Brien, Harter’s intense interest and knowledge of the game stems from his involvement in Philadelphia basketball. After graduating from the University of Pennsylvania (’53), Harter served for two years in the United States Marine Corp. as a first lieutenant and then coached for two years at the high school level. He accepted an assistant coaching position at his alma mater under McCloskey, where he remained for seven years (1958-65). Of all the great basketball minds he has worked with, it is McCloskey - who later engineered the great Pistons squads of the 1980s - who Harter calls “the greatest influence” on his basketball life.
    Harter (10/14/30) and his wife, Mari, spend the off-season in Lake Willoughby, Vt.
    Cool...at least we have a Defensive coach that can actually teach defense. Let's keep Person on as one of the shooting coaches....is he able to at least help out in that department?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Spewing out what negative stuff? We hired a defensive coach on a team where the players suck on defense. I dont got nothing against Jim O'Brien but this team didnt need a defensive coach.
    That's the first positive thing I've read concering O'Brien's expected hiring. But man! His name comes so far out of left field...

Strong on defense, tough on his players, had limited success getting the 76ers back to the post-season...they haven't been back since he was canned...

Only 2 head coaching jobs in the NBA. Why does this hiring plus the reported JO trade scare the outta me?

EDIT: I stand somewhat corrected. I'd forgotten that O'Brien had coached the Celtics to the ECF back in 2002. Maybe this guy isn't so bad after all despite having coached only 2 NBA teams. Seems he's had success in both endeavors.
    Jermaniac,

You're comment above is a contradition. The Pacers DO need a defensive minded head coach very badly! The fact the O'Brien IS a defensive oriented is probably the only positive he has going for him thus far from my perspective. My initial concerns were O'Brien's limited coaching experience in the NBA, but upon further review, he has coached the Knicks, Celtics and had a brief stint w/the 76ers. (See this article for more on O'Brien's record)

The initial shock is still there, but I'm starting to settle down a bit. Seeing the video press conference for myself will help to reassure me things are going in the right direction. But watching how the team performs during training camp and the first 20 games of the regular season thereafter I hope will take care of the rest of my jitters. I'm just not feeling this hiring all that much in light of the JO trade rumors.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    Why hasnt he ever been a head coach? Not trying to knock on him, I am honestly wondering why.
    Just a guess, but maybe he is absolutely terrible with offense...

Banned

Knowing Larry Bird, the only reason O'Brien was hired was to give Dick Harter a job.

I dont care what Harter and Obie do, they are not going to make Murphy and Tinsley into good defenders. And if you think Tinsley is getting traded, please tell me who is going to take him?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

And if you think Tinsley is getting traded, please tell me who is going to take him?
    Vescey seems to think the Lakers will.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

You want to run, they'll run. Grind it out, that's okay too.
    And he made this exact same comment in his presser.

I think people are underestimating some of the other options just as much as people are overreacting negatively to O'Brien. Again, he's hardly crap. I don't think he's as big a depature from Rick as most of you do though. Feed JO, get out of the way. That's what he's done previously.

As for "same vision" where Rick took it another way, WTF???? Larry tried to FORCE the team to be a running group, Rick was forced to try and make that work. Most of the players they had couldn't do it.

Ironically Jackson went to the running Warriors, but of those players he was BY FAR the slowest, least running guy on the court. He actually (and Al somewhat too) gave them some half court balance and defense. All the running was Barnes, Davis, Rich, Ellis, etc

The point being that clearly the Pacers did not actually assemble a team capable of running. Unless they alter the roster it won't fare any better now. Jim may realize that the ability to play either way is key, and he may be giving lip service to the idea that this CURRENT roster can do that, but I call BS. I don't think he truly sees that in this group.

So ultimately I don't think a single problem was about the COACH'S vision of the roster, it was about what the roster actually was.

Frankly my strong bet is that with Harter joining them (if that's the case) you are going to get a more extreme version of what you saw with Rick the last few years - clamp-down defense, low scoring games, iso offense.

And that makes me ask this - why are you happy about O'Brien but were sick of Rick again?

(I'm fine with JOB at this point, I just don't see it solving anything. You're in the honeymoon where it's all lip service, so of course it sounds good; so did running last summer)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

To me the hiring of Jim O'Brien is a terrible move.

As Celtic coach he was critized for:
    1. Playing favorites letting Walker and Pierce do as they pleased but coming down hard on the others.

2. Not playing young players - he was behind trading Joe Johnson to the Suns for vets Tony Delk and Rodney Rogers

His offense was chuck up 3's and isolate his stars Walker and Pierce.

To me this seems to point to Bird thinking this team is a playoff team and just needs a new coach. In many ways he's a slightly diff version of Carlisle. Unless O'Brien has changed and will play youth seems like a bad fit for a re-building team.

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00 View Post
    To me the hiring of Jim O'Brien is a terrible move.

As Celtic coach he was critized for:
    1. Playing favorites letting Walker and Pierce do as they pleased but coming down hard

2. Not playing young players - he was behind trading Joe Johnson to the Suns for vets Tony Delk and Rodney Rogers

His offense was chuck up 3's and isolate his stars Walker and Pierce.

To me this seems to point to Bird thinking this team is a playoff team and just needs a new coach. Unless O'Brien has changed and will play youth seems like a bad fit for a re-building team.
    There we go. The way UB and some of these guys where talking about this guy made him seem like a Red Auerbach type of coach and ****.

This is good news, 8 minutes per game for Ike and Shawne next year.

Like I said earlier we have hired Rick Carlisle with a bald spot.

- Doesnt like young players
    - Treats his stars better then all his other players and lets them do as they please
    - Defensive coach
    - Likes to grind games out

YAY

Mood

WTHR had an interview with Jim a few minutes ago. I'll have it up on youtube within 30 minutes.

I'm excited about this news, I think O'Brien (and Hart) will do a great job getting our team back on track!

Ok, we have a coach. What about our next move? Trade JO and Tinsley?
    Maceo Baston's #1 fan on Pacers Digest!

Mood

This is good news, 8 minutes per game for Ike and Shawne next year.
    First of all, as soon as someone has something bad to say about him, you believe every word. Someone says something nice, you don't believe any of it.

Secondly, you were one who said Ike sucks anyway, so what do you care if he plays less?

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by indyman37 View Post
    Vescey seems to think the Lakers will.
    and if he keeps tossing stuff out there eventually something will be right
    This is the darkest timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    First of all, as soon as someone has something bad to say about him, you believe every word. Someone says something nice, you don't believe any of it.

Secondly, you were one who said Ike sucks anyway, so what do you care if he plays less?
    Murphy sucks more. So I rather watch Ike at PF.

What something nice that he coaches his team to play good defense. This team cant play good defense. Rick was a good defensive coach and he couldnt get them to play good defense.

I cant wait to see someone get Tinsley,Murphy and Dunleavy to play good defense.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If you also remember back to when O'Brien coached at Boston a main reason he left was because Ainge wanted to go young -O'Brien had no desire to be part of rebuilding. Thats why this hiring to me shows Bird is not wanting to rebuild and go young but instead approaching it as this is a playoff team just needs tweaking.

I'd have preferred if JO is being traded to just rebuild and go with a young coach. But hey 8th seed is the playoffs appears to be the goal.