Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim O'Brien is new head coach

Default Re: Jim O'Brien is new head coach

Guys, give him a chance. How can you say we have the wrong guy for our team? We don't even know what team we'll have next year. To get a coach of this quality ain't half bad. Don't call him a failure before he even sets foot in Conseco. Wait and see what he does, and what he has to work with. Anyone that can make Antoine Walker work is a good coach.

“We’re very happy to have Jim as the new coach of the Indiana Pacers,” said President of Basketball Operations Larry Bird. “After speaking with him the last 10 days, we have a vision of where we want this team to go, from how we are going to practice, to how we are going to play and the style we’re going to play. We are on the same page. I believe it is very important to have a coach with experience and I feel Jim is the guy who will take us to the next level.”
    Okay, this is what I want to hear. Do I trust in Larry's vision? No, of course not, but you need to have them on the same page. And if this does go down in flames, Larry damn well better be held accountable.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

One thing everyone must admit. Jim O'Brien was able to get the most out of Walker - no other coach has been able to get half of what O"Brien got out of him.

The other thing I really rememeber about Jim, is he tailors his offense around the star players, he tailors his system around the star players - and he gives them a lot of freedom to play on the offensive end as long as they play defense.

He doesn't try to plug players into his offensive system, he builds the offensive system around his players. ------- you all should like that right?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I may have just hear this wrong, but I think they just said on the Hot List that Larry would be on later to discuss the hiring.

I don't really know what to think here
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One thing everyone must admit. Jim O'Brien was able to get the most out of Walker - no other coach has been able to get half of what O"Brien got out of him.

The other thing I really rememeber about Jim, is he taylors his offense around the star players, he taylors his system around the star players - and he gives them a lot of freedom to play on the offensive end as long as they play defense.
    Isnt that pretty much what we had with Carlisle? Now what was the point of firing RC? I guess I just hate this move because it seems more of the same thing weve been seeing from TPTB for the last 3 years instead of actually turning in a new direction.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

wow...we are gonna suck next season

flop for #1 pick next season ? ...looks like thats what we're doing...

If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    @thatguyjoe84

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    Isnt that pretty much what we had with Carlisle? Now what was the point of firing RC? I guess I just hate this move because it seems more of the same thing weve been seeing from TPTB for the last 3 years instead of actually turning in a new direction.
    No, everyone said that Rick tried to stuff the players into "his system". (I don't agree with that by the way, but that seemed to be what most fans thought

Okay, let's stop the revisionist history here. O'Brien didn't make Walker a better player. If he had played up to his potential Boston wouldn't have dumped him, and it was long after his days in Boston when Walker even came close to being in shape.

O'Brien's decent. He by no chance is an "excellent" coach. He's somebody that just screams to me Peck's axiom about making the playoffs means a successful year to Walsh.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Banned

I just looked it up, and the during his 3 full seasons of coaching (2001-2002, 2002-2003 in Boston, 2004-2005 in Philly) his teams finished ranked in the 20's in points-per-100 possessions each season, and in the top-10 in defense each season. So he's strictly a defensive guy, which disappoints me. An offense like the Suns is so much more enjoyable to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    Give me an example of what you mean by a new direction

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

AGAIN, why in the freaking world is this Larry's hire? I've seen many quotes from Donnie talking about the process.

Some things just remain constant, overreactions saying this team is going to the ****ter, and all bad things are Larry's fault.

Thundermaker: What team have you been watching the past 4 seasons? Offensive freedom and Rick Carlisle wouldn't be two terms I would lump together. We're not going to become the Suns, but it will be refreshing to see things opened up a little bit and the players respond to a new voice.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Okay, this is what I want to hear. Do I trust in Larry's vision? No, of course not, but you need to have them on the same page. And if this does go down in flames, Larry damn well better be held accountable.
    I have somewhat of a belief in his vision. But maybe because I keep thinking that if we would have followed Larry's vision a couple of years ago, Artest would have never been able to go into the stands.

So we pretty much hired Rick Carlisle again?

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Okay, let's stop the revisionist history here. O'Brien didn't make Walker a better player. If he had played up to his potential Boston wouldn't have dumped him, and it was long after his days in Boston when Walker even came close to being in shape.

Are you saying that Jim did not get more out of Walker than any other coach he's played for (and he's played for a ton of coaches)

I think by any measure Walker's best days werew with the Celtics with O'Brien as coach

streets ahead

The other thing I really rememeber about Jim, is he tailors his offense around the star players, he tailors his system around the star players - and he gives them a lot of freedom to play on the offensive end as long as they play defense.

He doesn't try to plug players into his ioffensive system, he builds the offensive system around his players. ------- you all should like that right?
    buck, at least for me, its not that obrien is a bad coach or even just a so-so coach. but he's so similar to carlisle and yet carlisle has been much more successful. carlisle's firing makes less sense when you hire a guy like o'brien in his place. give carlisle a guy like mike brown and suddenly carlisle is a guy that likes good defense.

like i said, i'm not disappointed in the quality of coach - i'm terribly disappointed in management for trying to fix problems from two years go (discipline) and not looking one or two moves into the future.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    wow...we are gonna suck next season

flop for #1 pick next season ? ...looks like thats what we're doing...
    I hope so.

O.J. Mayo
    Shawne Williams
    Danny Granger
    Lamar Odom
    Andrew Bynum

With Ike off the bench. A young team to get excited over.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    AGAIN, why in the freaking world is this Larry's hire? I've seen many quotes from Donnie talking about the process.

Some things just remain constant, overreactions saying this team is going to the ****ter, and all bad things are Larry's fault.
    If you are refering to my post, you may not be but, I am hearing just posting what I hear from ESPN.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Y2J View Post
    An offense like the Suns is so much more enjoyable to watch.
    Which is, of course, why the Suns are in the NBA Finals...
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Oops, I need to edit my last respone.

I'm actually pretty happy it is Jim O'Brien. He really, really focuses on defense. I wonder if Dick Harter is coming with him.

I consider this good news. His name wasn't even rumored though was it.

He's a very quality coach.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++

UB, I concur. This is a solid choice. At the very least I am willing to give the
    guy a chance. People are jumping off cliffs and berating the Pacers as clueless. People have lost all patience. I hope that Bird sticks to his plan,
    whatever that is and does not give in the clamor. DW has been very good at
    that through the years and has served him well. The negativity has gotten out of hand.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    buck, at least for me, its not that obrien is a bad coach or even just a so-so coach. but he's so similar to carlisle and yet carlisle has been much more successful. carlisle's firing makes less sense when you hire a guy like o'brien in his place. give carlisle a guy like mike brown and suddenly carlisle is a guy that likes good defense.

like i said, i'm not disappointed in the quality of coach - i'm terribly disappointed in management for trying to fix problems from two years go (discipline) and not looking one or two moves into the future.
    I disgaree that Rick and Jim are similar. Their offensive philosphies are different, and their defensive systems are different

Quote Originally Posted by Y2J View Post
    I hope so.

O.J. Mayo
    Shawne Williams
    Danny Granger
    Lamar Odom
    Andrew Bynum

With Ike off the bench. A young team to get excited over.
    No way on OJ Mayo. He's a nutcase. We are trying to rid of our attitude problems. There's too many good PGs in next years draft to take Mayo.

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post

I disgaree that Rick and Jim are similar. Their offensive philosphies are different, and their defensive systems are different

If I can locate my old tapes of the 2003 playoff series berween the Pacers and Celtics, I'll watch some of that. Oh wait, I might have thrown all those out in my purging of all things isiah Thomas a few years back

I know one of his years in Boston he was able to get that team to be in the top 4 in defensive FG%. And that team had several bad defenders. He'll do that here as well. - more I think about it, the more I like it
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 06-01-2007 at 12:45 AM.

streets ahead

right, but i guess i'm talking about players tuning him out. i could be wrong, but i've always thought of both coaches as great X&O guys that seemed to have trouble communicating with their teams.

like i said don't get me wrong, i'm saying i like o'brien, i just don't understand the firing of carlisle because i thought of carlisle as a better o'brien.
    This is the darkest timeline.