Thread: Spinning off Lamar Odom: 3rd teams/player possibilities

Default Spinning off Lamar Odom: 3rd teams/player possibilities

Assuming the Pacers do trade JO to the Lakers (a move that Im lukewarm on) and assuming they are smart enough to get Kwame Browns cap space, Andrew Bynum, and Lamar Odom, what do we think we could turn around and get for Odom in a deal?

Follow my rational for a second: While I love Andrew Bynum and Lamar Odom and the talent they bring, isnt it just as feasible for us to spin Odom right out of town and involve a third team to help us acquire backcourt help?

What other teams in the league could Odom help, that might be willing to trade us a talented guard for him in a deal? Ive made a list of possibles...see if you all think these make any sense:

-Trade with Dallas for Jason Terry and filler ( maybe a 1 yr deal for Austin Croshere?)
    -Trade with the LA Clippers for Corey Maggette and Quinton Ross. (we know I love Ross)
    -Trade with the Knicks for Jamal Crawford and filler?

Are there any others that make sense?

One last point: We need to get the Lakers to include a future number 1 pick for either 08 or 09. I think we can get that done, since they consider the future to be now in LA, and it would really give us some flexibility in future moves.

Just my opinion, of course.

Tbird

Default Re: Spinning off Lamar Odom: 3rd teams/player possibilities

Trade with the Raptors and get Jose Calderon LOL, That's not gonna happen

Mike Miller and Brian Cardinal

Any kind of deal for Leandro Barbosa. Lamar is like a better Boris Diaw.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Any kind of deal for Leandro Barbosa. Lamar is like a better Boris Diaw.
    I would STRONGLY pursue that. Barbosa was the first player I would target if I was attempting to spin Odom off onto another team. Anyone else think they move Marion? If they do I could also see them having some interest in Granger as well. (Not for Marion obviously, but in a future deal)

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

streets ahead

logically i think the celtics and bullls would be interested (although the bulls wouldn't be able to match salaries easily). i also think the magic would be interested were they to land SVG as coach.

the celtics deal would probably be ratliff and either #5 or West.
    the magic deal could be something like Hedo and Arroyo

not saying we should, just thinking about who we could get to bite.
    Last edited by avoidingtheclowns; 05-31-2007 at 08:31 PM.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Assuming we get pick 19 from the Lakers, I was thinking Odom and pick 19 to Memphis for pick 4.

Memphis can start:
    C Gasol
    PF Odom
    SF Warrick
    SG Gay
    PG Lowry

That's not perfect, but not bad. Plus they get pick 19 in a deep draft.

We draft Conley or Brewer.

Bynum
    Diogu
    Granger
    Williams
    Conley/Brewer

is a good, young core.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

In the back of my mind, while I do love Lamar Odom's game, I was thinking of where we could send Lamar.

Chicago is one team that might have interest.

I was reading an article today where they were talking about a Kobe to Chicago deal. They said the Bulls would have to reannounce PJ Brown's contract or something like that.

Something like this maybe?

Pacers Get:
    - Andrew Bynum
    - Kwame Brown
    - Ben Gordon
    - P.J. Brown
    - 9th Pick

Lakers Get:
    - Jermaine O'Neal

Bulls Get:
    - Lamar Odom
    - 19th Pick

Not for sure that we would be able to get both Ben Gordon and the 9th pick though.

Also don't know that the Pacers would let Lamar Odom go to a division rival.

Here is a deal that could go down that involes the Bobcats.

Pacers Get:
    - Andrew Bynum
    - Kwame Brown
    - 8th Pick
    - 19th Pick or a future 1rst via LAL

Lakers Get:
    - Jermaine O'Neal

Bobcats Get:
    - Lamar Odom
    - Orien Greene

Brevin Knight would go to us or the Lakers. I don't know that we would get Gerald Wallace. I think he will become a free agent and look for a big deal, we don't need him with a big paycheck.

Boston could be another destination. Something like Brown, Bynum, 5th Pick, 19th Pick, and Ratliff to the Pacers. Lakers getting Jermaine O'Neal and maybe Jeff Foster. The Celtics get Lamar Odom.

The question is will the Celtics give up the 5th pick for Lamar Odom? IDK. DA is defiantly dumb enough to.

I think are best bet is to try and deal with a team that has a lottery pick like the Bobcats or Celtics. I don't know what backcourt help we can get for Lamar.

Odom to GSW and JRich + future #1 pick to Indy.
    Maceo Baston's #1 fan on Pacers Digest!

Sports Logo

I didn't want to get greedy...but I was playing around with various "trade scenarios". For those that do not want Odom....how about this?

Indy:

Outgoing Players:

- JONeal to Lakers ( $19.71 mil in 2007-2008 )
    - Tinsley to Lakers ( $6.3 mil in 2007-2008 )

Outgoing Salary for the Pacers - $26 mil for 2007-2008

Imcoming Players:

- Kwame from Lakers ( Expiring Contract - $9.075 mil in 2007-2008 )
    - Bynum from Lakers ( $2.172 mil in 2007-2008 )
    - 2007 5th pick from Celtics
    - Gerald Green from Celtics ( Expiring Contract - $1.441 mil in 2007-2008 )
    - Theo Ratliff from Celtics ( Expiring Contract - $11.666 mil in 2007-2008 )

Incoming Salary for the Pacers - $24.354 mil for 2007-2008

Lakers:

Outgoing Players:

- Odom to Celtics ( $13.524 mil in 2007-2008 )
    - Bynum to Pacers ( $2.172 mil in 2007-2008 )
    - Kwame to Pacers ( Expiring Contract - $9.075 mil in 2007-2008 )
    - 2007 19th pick to Celtics

Outgoing Salary for the Lakers - $24.771 mil for 2007-2008

Imcoming Players:

- JONeal from Pacers ( $19.71 mil in 2007-2008 )
    - Tinsley from Pacers ( $6.3 mil in 2007-2008 ) or Marquis from the Pacers ( $6.37 mil in 2007-2008 )

Incoming Salary for the Lakers - $26 mil for 2007-2008

Celtics:

Outgoing Players:

- Gerald Green to Pacers ( Expiring Contract - $1.441 mil in 2007-2008 )
    - Theo Ratliff to Pacers ( Expiring Contract - $11.666 mil in 2007-2008 )
    - 2007 5th pick to Pacers

Outgoing Salary for the Celtics - $13.107 mil for 2007-2008

Imcoming Players:

- Odom to Celtics ( $13.524 mil in 2007-2008 )
    - 2007 19th pick from the Lakers

Incoming Salary for the Celtics - $13.524 mil for 2007-2008

For the Pacers ( since I am of the belief that any trade of JONeal marks the rebuilding process for us ), I would package Tinsley or Marquis with him ( so that we can get rid of him ) and get back what any team would need in order to rebuild.....Expiring Contracts, young players in return and a draft pick. It may suck for a year ( but that's what comes with rebuildig )....but by the start of the 2008-2009 season we would have cleared $20 mil in Expiring Contracts from our salarycap ( which will go a long way in resigning our young players in the future or pursue Free Agents ) while received 2 young propects and a high draft pick ( Bynum, Green and the 5th pick ) to build a foundation with.

For the Lakers, they would get back JONeal and Tinsley or Marquis. Although my preference is to send out Tinsley....I would have no problem shipping off Marquis...who ( as some suggested ) maybe a better fit to play in the Triangle Offense. Either way, salaries work with Tinsley or Marquis. As to whether they will do this....essentially giving up Odom, Bynum and Kwame for JONeal and a new starting PG....I do not know. On Tuesday, I would have easily argued that they didn't have to give up all 3 JUST to get JONeal....but with the "Kobe show" yesterday.....the Lakers just got backed into the corner in terms of negotiating any trade.

For the Celtics, the impression that I got from many RealGM Celtics fans were that they would have traded Green, Ratliff and the #5 pick for JONeal. The real question becomes whether they want to give up the same for Odom. I think that Odom is a pretty good "2nd fiddle" to Pierce ( much less any Franchise player ) that is unselfish and can compliment any player that he plays next to. Although he had surgery recently, I don't get the impression that it is career altering in any way. My first thought was that they would not do this JUST for Odom, that's why I was thinking of sending the 19th pick to the Celtics ( instead of sending the 19th pick to the Pacers ) while not demanding Delonte ( a player that I think that the Celtics want to keep ).

Although the Lakers come out on the short end of the stick on this deal. But I would argue that they are in the weakest bargaining position when they try to make a deal for any player that will make Kobe happy. This doesn't mean that they have to take any deal that is offered to them...but they will not be the only ones in the drivers seat when it comes to any negotiations that they have.

In the end.....assuming that Conley isn't available at the 5 spot ( which I doubt he will be ) and we draft Corey Brewer ( my preference ), we will end up with the following roster for the 2007-2008 season:

PG - Tinsley ( more then likely ), McLeod, Greene or Armstrong ( pick one )
    SG - Green, Dunleavy, Brewer
    SF - Granger, Shawne
    PF - Kwame, Ike, Murphy
    C - Ratliff, Bynum, Foster, Harrison

Yes, we will have the worst PF/C rotation in the history of the Pacers....but I look at this as our "rebuilding" year and a likely lottery-ending season. Unfortunately, any rebuilding process takes time and comes with a cost.

However, what I look at is where we will be by the start of the 2008-2009 season. We will have a core of Green, Brewer, Granger, Shawne, Ike and Bynum to build around with $43.851 mil in contracts owed ( assuming that we let Kwame and Ratliff to simply expire ). Is that good enough for rebuilding?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I like that plan CableKC. I think it gets us what we need and then in 08 we can get one of the many great PGs.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Its a dream trade. Most likely not going to happen. I could see us getting the 5th pick or Green but not both. Unless we trade Williams.

Yeah, I've been thinking that Odom might make sense in Boston for Ratliff and the #5.

Boston gets LA's #19, and we get Boston's #5.

Last edited by Anthem; 06-02-2007 at 04:06 PM.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Yeah, I've been thinking that Odom might make sense in Boston for Ratliff and the #5.

Boston gets LA's #19, and we get Boston's #5.

I'm fine with this trade. But I would like to see Boston throw in one of their younger guards. They already have a couple and I think it would be useless adding Farmar. But just my opinion.

streets ahead

yeah we should probably end up with either west or farmar.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    Mike Miller and Brian Cardinal
    NO!!!

I HATE Brian Cardinal!

Quote Originally Posted by indyman37 View Post
    I'm fine with this trade. But I would like to see Boston throw in one of their younger guards.
    Greedy.

If you can get Bynum, Conley, and 20mil in expiring contracts for Jermaine, you've got to do it.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Greedy.

If you can get Bynum, Conley, and 20mil in expiring contracts for Jermaine, you've got to do it.
    Boston is getting a steal, turning a large expiring deal into a borderline allstar and a promising young PG. I'd still love to get Delonte West from Boston, though I do like the basics of that trade.

Banned

Did you folsk overlook the fact that he had Boston moving the #5 pick to us in that deal?

Anyways, not as dreamworld as some of these are, but fairly realistic I'd say....Odom to Toronto for T.J. Ford and short contract fillers (both Rasho and Dixon expire at the end of this upcoming season)

Pacers Out: Jermaine O'Neal, Jamaal Tinsley, Jeff Foster
    Pacers In: Andrew Bynum, T.J. Ford, Rasho Nesterovic, Juan Dixon, Mo Evans, Kwame Brown

Lakers Out: Andrew Bynum, Lamar Odom, Mo Evans, Kwame Brown
    Lakers In: Jermaine O'Neal, Jamaal Tinsley, Jeff Foster

Rapors Out: T.J. Ford, Rasho Nesterovic, Juan Dixon
    Raptors In: Lamar Odom

New Lineups....

Pacers: T.J. Ford - Shawne Williams - Danny Granger - Ike Diogu - Andrew Bynum

Lakers: Jamaal Tinsley - Kobe Bryant - Luke Walton - Jermaine O'Neal - Jeff Foster

Raptors: Jose Calderon - Morris Peterson - Lamar Odom - Andrea Bargnani - Chris Bosh

This Trade Succeeded! Go back to adjust your trade or start over.

Los Angeles Lakers
    Mike Miller
    Salary: $7,623,813 Years Remaining: 4
    PTS: 18.5 REB: 5.4 AST: 4.3 PER: 16.50

Stromile Swift
    Salary: $5,400,000 Years Remaining: 2
    PTS: 7.8 REB: 4.6 AST: 0.3 PER: 14.21

Outgoing Players: Lamar Odom

:grizzlies Memphis Grizzlies
    Lamar Odom
    Salary: $12,348,596 Years Remaining: 3
    PTS: 15.9 REB: 9.8 AST: 4.8 PER: 16.20

Outgoing Players: Mike Miller, Stromile Swift

?

Greedy.

Holy hell yes.

That would put us 12 million under the cap in 2008. You can sign, say, Ben Gordon for that.

Would you trade JO for Conley, Bynum, and Gordon?