Thread: JVG Available? : "Adelman interviews with Rockets for Van Gundy's job"

Default JVG Available? : "Adelman interviews with Rockets for Van Gundy's job"

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

May 15, 2007

HOUSTON (AP) -- Former NBA coach Rick Adelman has talked to the Houston Rockets about the coaching job currently held by Jeff Van Gundy, according to media reports Tuesday night.

KRIV-TV, citing anonymous league sources, reported Adelman flew to Southampton, N.Y., for a meeting at the home of Rockets owner Leslie Alexander.

The Houston Chronicle, citing a person with knowledge of the team's decision-making, reported that general manager Daryl Morey also was part of the meeting.

Rockets spokesman Nelson Luis declined comment on the reports when contacted by The Associated Press on Tuesday night.

Van Gundy has one year left on his contract, but it's not guaranteed. There's a timeframe for him to decide whether to return, and the Rockets can terminate him without owing him any more money after June 30.

Van Gundy has been in Houston four years without winning a playoff series, something the club hasn't done since 1997. The Rockets went 52-30 this season despite long absences by stars Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady, then lost to Utah in the first round.

Morey has told the Chronicle that Van Gundy "is open to coaching again in certain scenarios," adding that each side has goals "for things to be different."

Adelman has coached Portland, Golden State and Sacramento. He was out of coaching this year after being fired by the Kings following last season. He took the Trail Blazers to the NBA finals twice.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Default Re: JVG Available? : "Adelman interviews with Rockets for Van Gundy's job"

Rick Aldelman would be a great fit for Houston.

Yao and TMac leading the way. I think that with Houstons already solid group of role players, Battier, Head, Sura, Alston, Chuck Hayes, and Kirk Snyder. Can John Lucas or Vassilis Spanoulis turn out to be anything? Juwan Howard is starting to decline, Dikembe Mutombo filled in nicely for Yao when he was injured but will DM play another year and if he does can he do anything for them?

The Rockets do have a first round draft pick, 26th overall. That might net them a solid rotation player for the future but that player is unlikely to contribute much if any in the upcoming season.

The Rockets have some major holes to fill though in order to get better.

Starting point guard, starting power forward, and atleast one quality backup big man.

Maybe Luther Head could develope into a nice point guard but the Rockets still need to address the position. Jason Hart or Smush Parker could be had via free agency. Maybe they could nab Mo Williams but I doubt it. Or they could go the trade route. Jamaal Tinsley and Marcus Banks are likely to be avaliable. I think that

Could we see a swap of Rafer Alston and Marcus Banks? I think that Rafer would be a great fix for Phoenix, and Banks could do well for Houston. Or how about a deal with the Pacers? Maybe Juwan Howard/07 pick for Tinsley or a bigger deal, involing Howard/Sura for Murphy/Tinsley if the Pacers want to rebuild.

As far as big men for them likely to be avaliable who can start include Zach Randolph, Troy Murphy, Andres Nocioni (I believe he can play the 4), Anderson Varejao, and Nene.

They also need to get another solid big man or two coming off the bench. Dan Gadzuric, Brendon Haywood, Darko Milicic, Jamaal Magloire, Chris Mihm, and Matt Barnes.

If the Rockets can address these three needs and get RA as their coach watch out!

Default Re: JVG Available? : "Adelman interviews with Rockets for Van Gundy's job"

Give me either of the Gundy's I'd be happy. I'd take younger bro though, if i had to pick.

I'd take Jeff. He's a tough guy with a lot of heart. That's something that needs to rub off on our players badly. Stan wouldn't be bad either, but I'd much rather have Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBaby31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Give me either of the Gundy's I'd be happy. I'd take younger bro though, if i had to pick.
    I agree either would be nice, hopefully we take our time and get the right person for the job. I believe the ball with start rolling come Tuesday!

woman without a team

I have a hard time believing Adelman would interview for a job that still has someone in it.