Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: College choices....Geezer Jr.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Exclamation Re: College choices....Geezer Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

But I don't know how he'd do at a large school. He's currently at Cathedral (small school by Indy standards). Talk about getting you ready for college! We went to open house there and followed his daily schedule. He was never in the same building two periods in a row. By the end of the evening we were exhausted from trying to get from class to class on time. (We were given the same amount of time between periods as they get during a normal school day. Now add to that the bookbags kids lug around today and I think most of them could go straight into battle...no boot camp needed.
    I followed a similar path to Btown to IU. I attended College Wood elementary from k to 5 then went to Our Lady of Mount Carmel for 6-8. I then attended Brebeuf for high school. If Cathedral was his choice for high school I suggest you take the college decision out of his hands. I kid.

Anyways I had no problem adjusting to IU freshman year. The size thing is overrated mainly because you are only around your dorm floor pretty much anyway. Also Brebeuf, Cathedral and schools of their ilk all do a good job of preparing you for the college experience.

I also know a couple people in the music and education schools. My RA this year was a sophomore in the music school and its top notch and he really enjoys it. Take the Geez Jr. and the rest of the family down for a football game this fall. The campus is beautiful that time of year and plus we actually might have a pretty decent football atmosphere next year. However if you can score tickets to a Bball game next year then you might be able to convince him to go to IU on the spot if he enjoys sports at all. I see several advantages for you and him if he attends IU. Good music school, and I could see the costs being very little. He is an in state student to begin with and from what you have said about his grades he has similar qualifications to some of my friends who pretty much go to IU for free. He would be accepted into the Honors college immediately and could be a fantastic candidate for the Wells scholarship. Plus if he gets to IU and doesn't like his original major choice he can change to another one easily. Like I said earlier there are probably 20 people in my graduating class that are transferring from their original college choice to IU along with the nearly 40 or 50 that attended IU starting freshman year. Mind you my graduating class had like 192 people in it.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Default Re: College choices....Geezer Jr.

This all points to what I believe is one bad choice on his part. In order to fit the AP Asvanced music Composition course he wants to take in HS....he's dropping Physics.

Not good IMO.
    Sciences are overrated I only took three in HS. Of course then again I have known that I would be a business major for ten years.

I read what you said about tennis courts and golf. If there is something IU has a lot of its tennis courts. We have more tennis courts than basketball courts to be honest. Also the golf course takes campus access (basically and IU credit card) and you go and hit balls or play 9 or 18 for a pretty good deal.

woman without a team

This all points to what I believe is one bad choice on his part. In order to fit the AP Asvanced music Composition course he wants to take in HS....he's dropping Physics.

Not good IMO.
    Either I wasn't smart enough for AP or it wasn't offered when I was in HS (I'm not exactly sure which it was). I know people can get along just fine in college without taking AP classes in HS; therefore, it is my average educated guess that he should take the physics class (both my brothers did).

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd be the last person to condemn anyone for changing their major or college.

Lessee.I started out at Indiana State...transfered to Ind Central College (now Uni of Indy) then IUPUI...back to Uni Indy....back to IUPUI....Butler....and finally graduated from Uni of Indy and then on to Butler for grad school. WHY? I was letting my employer pay for my classes so everytime I thought I wanted a class I looked to see where it was offered.

I started out as a Biology ed major (mom and dad insisted) and immediately switched to Radio/TV and broadcast journalism. Later switched to Biology...then business...then law. Finished with a degrees in Microbiology and Geology. 40 years later I finally left that biology job I hated for nearly every minute I was there and now sell Real Estate and absolutely love what I am doing.
    So no...I won't critisize anyone for changing majors or schools.

Oh, and there was 72 in my HS graduating class. There were 76 but we had a rash of pregnancies right before graduation ....back then you had to quit school if you were prego (the girls not the guys)
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    he should take the physics class (both my brothers did).

While I question the value of an advanced placement composition class, I think he should take it cause it'll give him a better idea of what he wants to do (not like he's gonna wanna do Physics )
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post

While I question the value of an advanced placement composition class, I think he should take it cause it'll give him a better idea of what he wants to do (not like he's gonna wanna do Physics )
    That's AP Advanced MUSIC Comp....but yeah, I get your point. I don't get bent outta shape over these things I guess because of my own history...but I don't wish to see him limit himself by poor decisions (if it is a poor decision). He scored a 5 on the one AP History class he took as a freshman...I'm told that is a good thing. I dunno we didn't have AP classes in my day.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post

Don't hate the subject, hate the teacher. He's got to at least be retired now if not dead.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by indy0731 View Post
    I followed a similar path to Btown to IU. I attended College Wood elementary from k to 5 then went to Our Lady of Mount Carmel for 6-8. I then attended Brebeuf for high school. If Cathedral was his choice for high school I suggest you take the college decision out of his hands. I kid.

Anyways I had no problem adjusting to IU freshman year. The size thing is overrated mainly because you are only around your dorm floor pretty much anyway. Also Brebeuf, Cathedral and schools of their ilk all do a good job of preparing you for the college experience.

I also know a couple people in the music and education schools. My RA this year was a sophomore in the music school and its top notch and he really enjoys it. Take the Geez Jr. and the rest of the family down for a football game this fall. The campus is beautiful that time of year and plus we actually might have a pretty decent football atmosphere next year. However if you can score tickets to a Bball game next year then you might be able to convince him to go to IU on the spot if he enjoys sports at all. I see several advantages for you and him if he attends IU. Good music school, and I could see the costs being very little. He is an in state student to begin with and from what you have said about his grades he has similar qualifications to some of my friends who pretty much go to IU for free. He would be accepted into the Honors college immediately and could be a fantastic candidate for the Wells scholarship. Plus if he gets to IU and doesn't like his original major choice he can change to another one easily. Like I said earlier there are probably 20 people in my graduating class that are transferring from their original college choice to IU along with the nearly 40 or 50 that attended IU starting freshman year. Mind you my graduating class had like 192 people in it.

Dude, you're a one man IU advertising machine! Bravo.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Nash View Post

He does write a great brochure doesn't he?

Another question...is Ball State stillconsidered on of THE party schools?

He does write a great brochure doesn't he?

Not since the ban of keg sales around Ball State's campus.

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Nash View Post
    Thanks, I take a lot of pride in IU. My dad went here and I have had visits to the campus as far back as I can remember. Its a fantastic school and I honestly have really nothing bad to say about it. Although the parking people suck they hand out tickets like candy they probably pull in more money from parking tickets than anything else except tuition.

woman without a team

I always heard that was IU.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I hear Ball State's theater program is world class. Same with architecture.

There's less to do (recreation wise) at Ball State, which is a secondary cause of it's "party school" reputation.

IU seems to me to have more of everything at relatively the same price.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Thanks, I take a lot of pride in IU. My dad went here and I have had visits to the campus as far back as I can remember. Its a fantastic school and I honestly have really nothing bad to say about it. Although the parking people suck they hand out tickets like candy they probably pull in more money from parking tickets than anything else except tuition.
    IU's bureaucracy is monumentally ****ed up.

Every day you actually have to go into an office and fill out forms becomes the worst day of your life.

Just saying.

And another problem with IU: It's a better grad school than undergrad. Why? Because grads always get teaching experience, which is essential to their careers. Who get to be the guinea pigs? You guessed it, the undergrads. There's an easy fix: if the course you want to take does not have a professor's name next to it in the class schedule, don't take it, you're going to get stuck with a 23 year old with a stutter.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    IU's bureaucracy is monumentally ****ed up.

Every day you actually have to go into an office and fill out forms becomes the worst day of your life.

Just saying.

And another problem with IU: It's a better grad school than undergrad. Why? Because grads always get teaching experience, which is essential to their careers. Who get to be the guinea pigs? You guessed it, the undergrads. There's an easy fix: if the course you want to take does not have a professor's name next to it in the class schedule, don't take it, you're going to get stuck with a 23 year old with a stutter.
    Business school is better undergrad than grad. Most of classes I have encountered that offer even the option of grad student teacher are like psych, sociology, or computer oriented.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Business school is better undergrad than grad.
    As an IU MBA I'm calling on that one.

If Geezer, Jr. were interested in a business major - as someone who is heaviliy involved with hiring undergrads for a firm that was incorrectly listed by Kelley's UCS as their #6 undergrad recruiting firm this year (with the correct stats we were #5) - I would be happy to talk about the pro's and con's of the relevant midwest undergrad business schools.

But all I know about music schools is that most great rock-n-roll songwriters I listen to didn't even go to college.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    I always heard that was IU.
    Yeah, if you want to start your drinking at 11 and end it at 3. IU has the rep solely because of Little 5 weekend, other than that, it sucks.

During PEWFL classes at BSU, you fill out a survey that they take every year to see how many students drink, how much they drink a week etc., and it comes up to about 30% drink and under 20% drink regularly.

And not having kegs on campus, really isn't that much of a problem considering Daleville is a 15min drive and Gaston is 10.

And from someone that just recently turned 21, if you're son already isn't into partying then I doubt he will turn to it in college. I wouldn't let a schools party reputation be that big of a negative factor, but that's just me.
    -----------------

BSU is a great school for degrees in music, TComm, Teaching, and Exersice Science.

That's AP Advanced MUSIC Comp....but yeah, I get your point. I don't get bent outta shape over these things I guess because of my own history...but I don't wish to see him limit himself by poor decisions (if it is a poor decision). He scored a 5 on the one AP History class he took as a freshman...I'm told that is a good thing. I dunno we didn't have AP classes in my day.
    Yeah, 5's a perfect score. And I got it was music comp, but I'd never heard of AP in music. Seems wierd.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post

And from someone that just recently turned 21, if you're son already isn't into partying then I doubt he will turn to it in college. I wouldn't let a schools party reputation be that big of a negative factor, but that's just me.
    Well, I wouldn't quite say that. I knew a few ppl who were angels in HS but had to dropped out of college they partied some much. But, you're still right in that the "party school" rep shouldn't matter, because someone wanting to get into that would be able to find enough parties even at a school w/o that rep, I think.

Ergh I'm still intending to give you some info about Butler, Geez, but not totally sure what to say. I see we're talking music and theatre, and I'm pretty sure Butler's music and theatre schools are pretty darn good. I'm not in either one, though. Lots of my friends are though.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    As an IU MBA I'm calling on that one.

If Geezer, Jr. were interested in a business major - as someone who is heaviliy involved with hiring undergrads for a firm that was incorrectly listed by Kelley's UCS as their #6 undergrad recruiting firm this year (with the correct stats we were #5) - I would be happy to talk about the pro's and con's of the relevant midwest undergrad business schools.

But all I know about music schools is that most great rock-n-roll songwriters I listen to didn't even go to college.
    To be honest you are the first person I have talked to who says that. Most Kelley undergrads choose to go elsewhere for grad school or at least those I have talked to.