Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Byron Scott Fired

Southside_Pacer

Default Byron Scott Fired

Just head it on the Tony Kornhiser show.

Some assistant coach for New Jersey is the new interim coach.

Sports Logo

Default Re: Byron Scott Fired

I guess they were not going any where with him so why not dump him. Also they waited untill the Knicks had hired someone so he would not end up there.

I would imagine he will land on his feet.

Here is what is on espn.com

Nets coach Byron Scott, one year removed from taking New Jersey to a second consecutive NBA Finals appearance, has been fired, league sources have told ESPN.com's Marc Stein.

The Nets are expected to announce the move at a 2 p.m. ET news conference, and assistant coach Lawrence Frank is expected to be named interim coach, the sources have told Stein.

New Jersey is scheduled to practice as usual at 1 p.m. ET today and Frank is expected to coach the session.

The Nets, an unspectacular 22-20 record with the All-Star break approaching, lead the 22-24 Celtics by two games in the Atlantic Division but have only the fifth-best record in the Eastern Conference.

The dangers of having a lame-duck coach. Funny that they'd do this now after NJ just stomped Boston. Maybe they wanted to get rid of him before the team went on a roll.

Sort of like Isiah & Chaney - the Knicks were about to hit the soft part of their schedule and Zeke couldn't take the chance that they might start winning. Not that I disagree with his decision.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If I were a betting man, I lay odds that he ends up with Jerry West and Memphis in some capacity.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

I wonder if he could come back here and play guard.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Mood

You wish.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Sports Logo

Can you imagine a coach signing with a team as a guard.

remember when the choice was Carlisle, Scott, or Isiah?

I guess we made the worst choice (Isiah) but if we had made the second-worst (or second-best) choice, Byron, I wonder if he would have lasted longer than Isiah. if so, maybe we wouldn't have Carlisle now.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Mood

Maybe we wouldn't have needed Carlisle by now.

Can you imagine a coach signing with a team as a guard.
    Hell - why not? Let's make all sorts of history this year
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Sports Logo

Maybe we wouldn't have needed Carlisle by now.
    exactly

Sports Logo

Hicks I am not saying I am in any way unhappy with Rick
    [size=9:253f20f2e3] well maybe about him playing AJ too much but not other than that[/size]

Just that we would not have had three years of Isiah and we may have made the finals last year.

Wasn't meant as a reply to you.

Just reacting to the news.

If I were a betting man, I lay odds that he ends up with Jerry West and Memphis in some capacity.
    He'll have a number of opportunities. If the Kings can't get over the hump this year, his name will be on everyone's lips out there.

There's been talk for quite a while, but with this move, Jason Kidd officially becomes a coach killer. I think few people around the league will hold a negative view of Scott's time in NJ, especially after the bottom falls out, starting right about now.

Seriously, look at the standings. With what Boston and NJ are going through, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if New York ends up with the second seed (albeit with a .500 record.)
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

From an outsider's perspective, this is unbelievable news. Scott gets his team to the finals two straight years and loses to teams that nobody thought they could compete with. He is leading the division (albeit extremely weak) and just came off of a thumping of the second place team in the division.

New Jersey could do a lot worse than Byron Scott and I hope (for the Pacers sake) that they do.

Well, at least now AJ can give him his cookies.

That is SUCH an awesome quote.

I don't think you can say Byron was better than IT. Byron had Kidd and that is why they got to the finals two years in a row.

The number two reason they made the finals might even be Eddie Jordan. After all that is the biggest change for the Nets between this year and last.

I'd be surprised if Byron is hired next year. I think his personality turns some off. Also there is a reason he doesn't get a lot of credit for the Net's success--a lot of people didn't think he deserved it--which might not be true but will effect how quickly he is hired.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Mood

Maybe IT isn't as bad as people made it sound...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Seriously, look at the standings. With what Boston and NJ are going through, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if New York ends up with the second seed (albeit with a .500 record.)
    There's a real chance of that happening though we'll have to see. Our schedule gets seriously easier from this point on. I charted us out and my projection comes out to 43-39 if we beat the teams we should and lose to the teams we should.

May get better than that - over the next three weeks we have the all-star break and several 2 and 3 day breaks between games. It'll give Wilkins time to practice, install his schemes, figure out what combinations work best and it'll also give Houston's knee a chance to get better.

Could be interesting.

I always felt like he was on his way out this year...just a matter of time

Well looks like I have to change my sig now

There's a real chance of that happening though we'll have to see.
    Milwaukee is going to whomp you

There's a real chance of that happening though we'll have to see.
    Milwaukee is going to whomp you
    Don't care about Milwaukee (though I'm not too sure about that anyway). I care about NJ, Philly & Boston.

Holy cow...I can't say I didn't see this coming, but still...wow NJ SUCKS!!!!
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Hopefully they hire a new guy that instills in them the urge to go on a 5 game win streak, only to then lose most of their final games and become "The Nets" again.