View Poll Results: David Harrison

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Still has a chance to develop into a starter given some good coaching and some minutes.

10 13.89%
  • Could develop into a decent 3rd or 4th big guy.

7 9.72%
  • Had a chance but that chance has passed.

48 66.67%
  • Never stood a chance to be an NBA player.

7 9.72%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PD Referendum - David Harrison

Default PD Referendum - David Harrison

Harrison has one guaranteed year and then a team option left.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Default Re: PD Referendum - David Harrison

I'm sick of his ***. No work ethic, no willingness to learn or adjust his attitude, and little skill to work with anyway.

Get rid of him ASAP.

Banned

Option #2 has me kind of confused, because by definition, a 3rd or 4th big guy isn't very decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Munson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Option #2 has me kind of confused, because by definition, a 3rd or 4th big guy isn't very decent.
    I guess I mean a decent player by 3rd or 4th big guy standards.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

I pray that there's a chance.

Pacers.com: "he wants to do well so badly he tries too hard and in the process makes mistakes both emotional and physical"

Sports Logo

I am willing to wait until the new coach is here its possible he will make it but I doubt it.

It's too late. The lack of institutional player development killed what I think was at one point a good chance of him being a quality big man. He doesn't have the emotional strength or maturity to overcome the last 3 years and start over.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

HARRISON IS THE NEXT SHAQ!~ JUST LOOK AT HIM HES BIG 7 FOOT FAT GUY HE CAN JUST DOMINATE GAMES IF HE TRY HARDER!

He's a goner. I didn't think he'd work out..but it really was a risk worth taking. He could have developed into a nice player with the right coaching.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    I'm sick of his ***. No work ethic, no willingness to learn or adjust his attitude, and little skill to work with anyway.

Get rid of him ASAP.
    I wouldn't call "losing 40 pounds from his college playing weight by staying in Indianapolis all summer every summer" no work ethic.

I certainly wouldn't conclude there is no willingness to learn on his part.

Playing low post in the NBA is like riding a bike. The only way you learn how to do it is by actually doing it.

Now it may ultimately be proved that he's already hit his ceiling, that he doesn't have the capacity to play any better. And that would be a shame, because he's got excellent offensive footwork and a number of first-class post moves. He's got a lot of low-post skill on offense. His problem is primarily on defense, where he relies on his hands too much and gets into instantaneous foul trouble.

Losing all that weight was a huge mistake, he's lost the biggest advantage he had.

Unfortunately for David, the "its too late" vote may be the right one - the Pacers may have really f ed him over by not getting him an appropriate big-man coach in time. If the new coach doesn't bring in a legit big-man coach, he's days are numbered.

Now the reason I quoted you was this:

I'm sick of his ***.
    So you do understand why a large percentage of Pacers fans are just happy that Stephen Jackson is now a distant memory.

No work ethic
    I think that's blantanly untrue, but whatever.

no willingness to learn or adjust his attitude
    Just like your boy Screamin' Jackson, huh? Who is still turning the ball over like mad, still shooting poorly and taking stupid shots, still getting ejected when things aren't going his way. C'mon, the only difference between the Indiana version of Streakin' Jackson and the Oakland version of Streakin' Jackson is Don Nelson, who's game plan is so frantic that a few blown possession here and there don't really hurt what he's trying to do. Nellie doesn't (and I love this about him and always have) get all worked up and treak every single possession like its life-or-death. He lets the players operate within the flow of the game and that seems to be only way Jackson can play. He certainly demonstrated to willingness (or was it capacity?) to learn to play in Rick's controlled-possession style. Ah, the irony of your commentary.

and little skill to work with anyway.
    I just don't agree, but I feel so old-school anymore that I think there are only a handful of us that can appreciate what a low-post player can do. Yes, if I were starting a team and could start by picking any player from all time, I'd be debating between Wilt, Kareem, Shaq, or Sabonis in his prime. A perimter player like Oscar, Jordan, or Magic wouldn't cross my mind. I'm not saying that David is Wilt's/ Kareem's/ Shaq's league, he clearly isn't. But nobody in today's NBA is, so if you can find a competent low-post player you've got an advantage. And David can be competent in the low-post. Unless we've already wasted too much of his career with no big-man coach/ mentor for him to work with.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

I've jumped off the David Harrison bandwagon. He has the potential, but he's just too stupid/emotional to get it. He could very well be responsible for The Brawl II if things continue to go the way they are.

I'm very patient with big guys. I do need to see more of a commitment from the Pacers to get him the instruction he obviously needs.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

He's gonna have a breakout season next year, watch my words!
    Maceo Baston's #1 fan on Pacers Digest!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpolloloco View Post
    He's gonna have a breakdown season next year, watch my words!
    Fixed.

I'm excited to see how several of our younger guys do under a new coach.

I liked Rick but sometimes he peeved me w/ how he treated the younger guys.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

All he needed was a good big man coach. yeh right

How do I put this nicely - DH has a screw loose - something isn't right with David. Ok, someone could argue that he is just a free spirit - no it is more than that.

DH needs to go and if that means we just cut him, then that is what we should do

When I hear that a player doesnt really like basketball and wants to be a football player but cant be in some articles about him, I doesnt really pump me up. I never thought he would be any good.

He looks awkward in the post, like he has no idea what he is supposed to do. He is bad on defense. And the one thing he had was his mass and straight power to just ram through people and he lost that when he cut all that weight.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

One word...
    "disappointment"

I've always held out hope that the light would come on for David, but I've all but given up on him. I really use to be in Jay's camp about him being screwed by the organization, but his attitude on the court ALWAYS kicks that theory square in the backside.

Here we go...It's the end of a brutal season, he finally gets an oppertunity for significant minutes as a STARTER for a game, so what does he do to show the coaching staff, managment, and fans that he might be worthy of some time this year? He loses his freakin' cool and gets tossed out of a game. That was the very moment I just washed my hands of hoping he would get it.

He just doesn't have the ability to control his emotions to reallize that he is not as good as he thinks he is. Honestly, he's disappointed me more then any player has in a long time....I wanted to be his biggest fan.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

well, it seems as if some think it was somehow ricks fault david hasn't become what they think he should be. i am not in that camp. like roaming gnome, i too lost my faith in him the game where he got his chance to prove he was ready to take on a larger role but again- he totaly blew it.
    i don't question his work ethic, not since he showed the determination to lose the lard. i question his temper and his ability to control it. he has stated before that the refs don't know how to ref him properly etc. and if that doesnt show how much he doesnt get it, then nothing will so, i will leave that part of the discussion at that.
    far more often than not, big guys like him with a good potential skill set don't get left til the last pick of the 1st round but, as we have seen, there was a reason so many other teams didn't pick him up. quality bigs with potential like his just dont get left behind like that unless there are serious concerns. his college coach didnt exactly give a glowing review i wonder why?
    i hold out little hope he will make much if any progress with the new coach since i can only conclude the reason rick would pull him so quickly when dave got his 2 or 3 quick fouls was because he knew the storm was comming if he didn't get him out asap. he will likely pull the same bs with the new guy.

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Jermaine has been craving a big man to play alongside of for awhile now, and David Harrison had a golden opportunity to be the guy. To blame Rick for his hot temper and constant foul trouble (and here's a cherry on top: the sure fire technical foul at the most inopportune time, over the most obvious calls) is unfair. David is his own biggest problem, and it has almost everything to do with attitude and lack of control when he gets a bad call. This is all the time! He has the tools, but he trips over his own foot.
    (referee)->....(Harrison)-> ...and then

(referee)-> ....(Harrison)-> ...and then

(Harrison)-> <-(Referee)...GONE! Same old story!

There's always a chance a player can turn it around, if even a little.

Him and Bender both.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    One word...
    "disappointment"

I've always held out hope that the light would come on for David, but I've all but given up on him. I really use to be in Jay's camp about him being screwed by the organization, but his attitude on the court ALWAYS kicks that theory square in the backside.

Here we go...It's the end of a brutal season, he finally gets an oppertunity for significant minutes as a STARTER for a game, so what does he do to show the coaching staff, managment, and fans that he might be worthy of some time this year? He loses his freakin' cool and gets tossed out of a game. That was the very moment I just washed my hands of hoping he would get it.

He just doesn't have the ability to control his emotions to reallize that he is not as good as he thinks he is. Honestly, he's disappointed me more then any player has in a long time....I wanted to be his biggest fan.
    Yeah, I was at that game, making a fool of myself in front of "both" Hawks fans and cheering for him in the first half. Didn't work out well in the end.

If that's what does him in as an NBA player, as UB says "a screw loose" it will be an big tragedy because he's got low-post footwork that would make Yao Ming jealous. But sadly, it could be all that he's got...

Here's what I need: I need to see him flop badly with a legit big-man coach trying to help him before I'm convinced he won't turn into a NBA starter someday soon.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Gotta Play Big

Big disappointment. Never had a chance due to mental issues. I guess since he is an NBA player, I took the option to mean that he never had a chance to amount to much of an NBA player.

He does have some great skills and athleticism, but he has not improved at all. He has actually regressed. I don't see any reason why he will all of the sudden begin "getting it".

David be gone. He's not got the maturity, the work ethic, nor even the desire to play in the NBA. I'm not going to say he was a poor draft choice but for sure, he's a disappointment. Let's move on. He's not going to show up on some other team as an all-star and make us sorry.