Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vescey: SVG - 4th guy on Pacers list - update 5/15 - Sam not a lock to get job

This must be a bad dream.
    Mood

Sports Logo

Default Re: Vescey with some real Pacers coaching news: Pacers to interview Brian Shaw Friday

Now what is that word I've seen used around here before?

I believe it is "Meh" ???

Brian Shaw would never give us free luxury suite season tickets like the
    coach the Pacers should hire would....thunderbird1245!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Vescey with some real Pacers coaching news: Pacers to interview Brian Shaw Friday

I'm interested in seeing where this goes with Shaw. He falls into the "servicable player becomes a good head coach" area.

Default Re: Vescey: SVG is the 4th guy on the Pacers list - update 5/11

We speculated who was the other guy of the 4 that Vescey mentioned and yes it is SVG.

Here is it in written form

http://www.nypost.com/php/pfriendly/...ter_vecsey.htm

A KURT RESPONSE
    By PETER VECSEY

May 11, 2007 -- BECAUSE Kurt Thomas would qualify for the first-team on an all-NBA brute squad, his most polished defensive attribute (savoir faire) always goes unnoticed - even when the Suns' macho forward is curbing Tim Duncan, the Spurs' franchise player, to two fourth-quarter points in Game 2 that evened up the odds for Phoenix at one win apiece.
    Anybody can study Duncan's moves; Thomas is the first, I submit, to have figured how to disrupt or reroute The Big Fundamental to a discomfort zone. As everyone knows, Duncan's favorite shot is his cash-no-change angled banker and his favorite spot is on the left side, preferably facing 15 to 18 feet out, if not, then lower with his back to the basket, spinning right.

Thomas' floor plan is to crowd Duncan deep, thus forcing him to turn and spin, acutely aware that Tim brings the ball down low prior to elevating. Accordingly, Thomas regularly gets his mitts on it, resulting in a steal, jump ball or a hassled springer.

After a while, Duncan took an alternate route across the lane, where he's used to finishing at or near the rim for a relatively easy layup. Thomas anticipated the change of direction and beat him to the spot, resulting in rash of awkward running jumpers across his left shoulder.

Naturally, Duncan is too competent and clever to get outmaneuvered upstairs for too long. He's going to get his share of points no matter what Thomas does.

Yet, for one game Duncan's symmetry and psyche undeniably were disturbed, thanks to yet another gift to the Suns' success, courtesy of Isiah Thomas.

Derek Fisher returned to Salt Lake City from Manhattan late Wednesday following his infant daughter's surgery for eye cancer for nine minutes and 31 seconds of otherworldly virtuosity in Utah's overtime win over Golden State.

Could any movie script writer have concocted a happier ending? Three assists, two momentum-shifting defensive plays against Baron Davis, a pair of free throws and a high-arcing, verdict-sealing trifecta from the right corner!

Afterward, TNT's Pam Oliver asked all the right questions, eliciting humane answers. Every parent that has ever loved a child had to be gripped by Fisher's openness. At the same time, his helplessness was heartwarming and heart-wrenching.

First Roger Clemens spurns Houston; stay tuned for Jeff Van Gundy to do the same. Expect him to make the announcement during the seventh-inning stretch of an Astros game.

Cliff Robinson isn't remotely the radical rebounder the Nets crave to keep the marauding Cavaliers off the offensive boards, but "my man doesn't get 'em, either," the box-out artist is fond of noting.

Contrary to a Daily News report, Herb Williams is not on the Pacers' short list of head coaching aspirants to be interviewed as Rick Carlisle's replacement. The four targeted by Donnie Walsh and Larry Bird: Stan Van Gundy, Lakers aide Brian Shaw, Bulls assistant Jim Boylan and Sam Mitchell, should his current negotiation with Toronto regarding a new deal break down.

Several days ago, Mark Jackson told YES Network's Mike Kay he's not interested in taking a job with a Pacers team he feels has too many bosses running the show and re-stirring the roster. "No disrespect to Donnie or Larry," Jackson said, "but it's hard enough to redecorate on the same wave length as visionary."

Pat Riley reiterated he has no plans to trade Shaquille O'Neal, though he's not averse to renting him out for private parties.

Just to be on the safe side for the remainder of the Spurs series, the Suns have hired a new trainer . . . Chuck Wepner.

Outside of the Western Conference, the best competition (Master Basketball) on stage this weekend is in South Florida, where 40-year-olds-to-past-65 is on display in assorted age brackets, featuring Flynn Robinson, Jim Barnett, Tim Hardaway (alongside John Amaechi, no doubt, though he might be too young), Glen Rice, Rod Strickland, Mitchell Wiggins, Billy Thompson, Cory Blackwell, Greg Kite, Goose Givens, John Brown, Kevin Heller, Neal Heller, and many more.

Seems the latest wife of Joey Buttafuoco has filed for divorce after a couple of years of wedded bliss. Joe kinda realized this wasn't exactly a match made in heaven when the lovely Evanka Buttafuoco refused to take one in the temple for him.

I can't speak for everyone, but for me, the Kentucky Derby continues to be the second-most exciting two minutes in sports . . . right behind "The New York Knicks are on the clock."

How uncomfortable is it going to be when the NBA presents Dirk Nowitzki its MVP award?

"If David Stern is as smart as advertised," column contributor Gregg Siegel allows, "he'll sign a promotional deal with Southwest Airlines and turn the whole event into one of those 'Want to get away' ads."

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Too many guys running the show. Ouch.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Default Re: Vescey: SVG is the 4th guy on the Pacers list - update 5/11 -quote from Mark Jack

I thought by today we would know if Sam Mitchell was staying in Toronto. Not sure what it means that things are dragging out a little bit. Tells me that there is a strong possibility that Sam is staying put - or at least things didn't breakdown before they started. If Colangelo really wanted Iavaroni instead, I think we would know that by now. Of course the contract negotiations could still breakdown.

Default Re: Vescey: SVG is the 4th guy on the Pacers list - update 5/11 -quote from Mark Jack

UB - conventional wisdom suggests that if talks go this long, both parties are interested in making it work.

I'll be happy if Mitchell stays in Canada. I want a new coach that will learn the ropes at the same time the players learn to play together.

Sorry to put it this way, but there WAS something special going on between IT and his young players during his time here. He turned the team into vets, but then we needed a coach for vets.

I can see the same process repeat itself this time, and frankly I wouldn't mind it one bit.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

I'm not comfortable with Sam Mitchell being out coach (aside from the idea the he doesn't put up with bull****). I hope he stays in Toronto.

I like SVG, and he'd probably be my favorite of these guys. Shaw interests me, but I think that's purely based on his time as a player killing us. I don't know, I just have a good "vibe" about him, but there's nothing concrete behind it.

I don't know anything about Jim Boylan. But if he's anything like Scott Skiles, it'd probably be a good hire.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Several days ago, Mark Jackson told YES Network's Mike Kay he's not interested in taking a job with a Pacers team he feels has too many bosses running the show and re-stirring the roster. "No disrespect to Donnie or Larry," Jackson said, "but it's hard enough to redecorate on the same wave length as visionary."
    Could this be a snided Jackson speaking? I mean he will not be an assisstant because he claimed to be one as a player for so long (Avery never claimed this). Maybe Jackson's ego is getting the better of him. Maybe Larry and Donnie did not want him because Mark would want to run the show and has not proven he can as a coach. Not all point guards make great coaches on the NBA. And just because he was a great leader on the court does not mean he is able to curb contemporary player's ego. Especially since his is in the clouds.

Of these 4 guys, I don't know which one I want. But I will say that if Jim Boylan can coach the Pacers to play like the Bulls (style of play- and amount of effort they play with) then Boylan would be my first choice.

SVG is the safest choice - you can't go wrong with him, although I don't think he's in the upper echeon of coaches.

Sam Mitchell is another safe choice, but I also don't think he's a great coach.

Brian Shaw is the biggest gamble and yet I also think he's the most interesting of the 4 names. I've often said I want the pacers to take a chance go after soemone who could be the "next great NBA coach" and I think based on that criteria alone- Shaw might be the best choice. He could be a disaster though - we know Sam and Stan aren't disasters.

tough call

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Jackson
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "but it's hard enough to redecorate on the same wave length as visionary."
    Uh, what?
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Uh, what?
    ditto.

the option im least thrilled with is mitchell. i don't necessarily think he's a bad coach. i just don't believe he's the right coach.

i'm more optimistic about the others and would have preferred Iavaroni to be on the list instead of mitchell. maybe adelman too but i think those three are a solid list.
    This is the darkest timeline.

The Mark Jackson quote should read more like this: "When you've got two visionaries working together, it's hard to redecorate, let alone put together a winning roster."

I'd bet it was part of a longer quote, and the surrounding material got cut.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Slightly off-topic, but in the same article:

How uncomfortable is it going to be when the NBA presents Dirk Nowitzki its MVP award?

"If David Stern is as smart as advertised," column contributor Gregg Siegel allows, "he'll sign a promotional deal with Southwest Airlines and turn the whole event into one of those 'Want to get away' ads."

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Of these 4 guys, I don't know which one I want. But I will say that if Jim Boylan can coach the Pacers to play like the Bulls (style of play- and amount of effort they play with) then Boylan would be my first choice.

SVG is the safest choice - you can't go wrong with him, although I don't think he's in the upper echeon of coaches.

Sam Mitchell is another safe choice, but I also don't think he's a great coach.

Brian Shaw is the biggest gamble and yet I also think he's the most interesting of the 4 names. I've often said I want the pacers to take a chance go after soemone who could be the "next great NBA coach" and I think based on that criteria alone- Shaw might be the best choice. He could be a disaster though - we know Sam and Stan aren't disasters.

tough call
    I don't see how Sam Mitchell is a safe choice. He was a bust his first two seasons, and got into the playoffs this year just to get ousted in the first round against a lower seed. Not very impressive, IMO.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Quote Originally Posted by Sh4d3 View Post
    I don't see how Sam Mitchell is a safe choice. He was a bust his first two seasons, and got into the playoffs this year just to get ousted in the first round against a lower seed. Not very impressive, IMO.
    Then again...That roster he had in Toronto the two seasons prior was strait bullsh**! I'm not campaigning for Sam to get the job, but I guess his first two years didn't really color so much against him. Heck, at least he didn't get fired mid-way thru his first season like Kevin O'neil before him. As far as Sam being just more Rick Carlisle style coaching...I just didn't see it. Hell, some could argue that Bosh was not used enough (a far cry from the way Rick coached).

The loss in the first round was concerning, but with no play-off experience and Garbajosa practicing putting his leg on backwards...I can see that contributing to the loss, not to mention that eventhough Jersey was a lower seed, they are a play-off tested veteran type team.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Quote Originally Posted by Sh4d3 View Post

I guess that's what it seemed like, but Sam showed his critics that he can coach a team once they put players on there that CAN actually play. . just look at the roster that he started with, and the problems he had with players like Vince, Raefer. . he actually turned a corner in how he handles things with his players, which is why he would be a great coach for the PAcers

I just dont get why they arent at least interested in Iavaroni. I mean at least interview the guy. Hes one of the biggest names out of the head coach prospects this summer, why would they not want to at least interview him? Maybe they think theres no chance they can get him or maybe hes just not interested. I dont know.

It's not a bad list, I wish Iavaroni was on it, but I'm guessing there's a reason. I like SVG. He took a rookie in Wade, and 2nd or 3rd year Caron Butler, added them to what seem to be an underacheiving Lamar Odom... put some role players around them, and got them to the semi's only to lose to us Pacers in 6. They even beat a Baron Davis lead team in 6 or 7 games (which we know now is hard to do) before us! We've seen D.Wade come into his own and win a championship with Shaq. We've seen Caron Butler become an all-star WHILE playing with 2 good talents in Jamison and Arenas, and we saw Odom become one of the best all-around players in the league (barring injury) who was a centerpiece in a trade for Shaq!

All of this is thanks to SVG in my opinion. Now whether he can do more then develop is yet to be seen, b/c he wasn't around long enough, but I think what he has done is defintely a plus!

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    I just dont get why they arent at least interested in Iavaroni. I mean at least interview the guy. Hes one of the biggest names out of the head coach prospects this summer, why would they not want to at least interview him? Maybe they think theres no chance they can get him or maybe hes just not interested. I dont know.
    The Suns are still in the Playoffs.....is any team allowed to interview him until the Suns are done?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    The Suns are still in the Playoffs.....is any team allowed to interview him until the Suns are done?
    If permission is granted. Iavaroni had said that he was hoping for soem downtime during the playoffs so he could interview for some head coaching jobs. Not sure what his definition of downtime is though

Toronto would be stupid to let Mitchell go. He just took them to the playoffs with a very young team and was named COTY. Iavaroni looks like a good possibility to get a head coaching job but he's unproven. I would love to have Sam here.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

That also might cause a delay in any team hiring a coach.

Toronto needs to decide what to do with Mitchell & the rest of the league most likley has to wait til the Suns are done playing before Iavaroni can interview.

With the Houston opening I hope that Tom Thibodeau's name starts coming up in some rumors too.

I have long believed that Vescey source in the Pacers is Tinsley. His comments are always from a player perspective and not a management. Does anyone remember during the finals when Thomas was a broadcaster with Vescey and he congratulated him on getting the Pacers coaching job long before anything was announced. If he is not bashing the Knicks his comments are always speculation about the Pacers.

Any one else suspect who he could be getting his info from?

streets ahead

the problem with that theory is jamaal was drafted in 2001 the year the pacers made the finals. how would jamaal know insider stuff during the finals when he had not been drafted yet? don't you think if thomas was broadcasting with vescey that maybe thomas himself was the source? call me crazy but that seems to make a little more sense than undrafted player knowing and revealing coaching moves for an organization he will be traded for after being drafted by another team (Memphis).
    This is the darkest timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie View Post
    I have long believed that Vescey source in the Pacers is Tinsley. His comments are always from a player perspective and not a management. Does anyone remember during the finals when Thomas was a broadcaster with Vescey and he congratulated him on getting the Pacers coaching job long before anything was announced. If he is not bashing the Knicks his comments are always speculation about the Pacers.

Any one else suspect who he could be getting his info from?
    Donnie Walsh and Vescey are pals from WAY back in the day. Really.

While I don't really know his track record with other teams, and I'm not a regular reader of his columns, Vescey is right more than he is wrong about the Pacers.

This means he gets a lot of info from the front office itself (Donnie), and I would guess that they tell him what he can or can not print. I would also guess that every now and then Donnie throws him a curve ball to create a diversion and he swings at it.