Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vescey: SVG - 4th guy on Pacers list - update 5/15 - Sam not a lock to get job

Default Vescey: SVG - 4th guy on Pacers list - update 5/15 - Sam not a lock to get job

I'm updating this thread - article by Vecsey below. Quote from Mark Jackson

Vescey is on NBATV right now.

Pacers will be interviewing Brian Shaw tomorrow.

Pacers plan to only interview 4 coaches. Brian Shaw, Sam Mitchell, Jim Boylan

(assistant coach with the Bulls and one other guy that peter is not sure of

Herb Williams will not be interviewed.

Pacers are looking for someone who will kick some butt and take names

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Default Re: Vescey with some real Pacers coaching news. Pacers to interview Brian Shaw Frida

I know absolutely nothing about Boylin.

Want to clue us in, Grace?
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Default Re: Vescey with some real Pacers coaching news. Pacers to interview Brian Shaw Frida

WTF Where is Macaroni?

Wink Re: Vescey with some real Pacers coaching news. Pacers to interview Brian Shaw Frida

Great, Im not impressed by any of those names. Heres to four more years of sucking!

I hope Vescey is wrong on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

College - Marquette

In his third season as an assistant with the Bulls … hired as part of Scott Skiles’ staff on May 19, 2004 ... Boylan, a 13-year NBA coaching veteran, reunites with Skiles after serving under him during the 2000-01 season with the Phoenix Suns … was a member of Terry Stotts’ staff in Atlanta during 2003-04 season … first entered the NBA as a video coordinator and advance scout for the Cleveland Cavaliers in 1992 … after spending five seasons with the Cavaliers, he worked three seasons as an assistant with the Vancouver Grizzlies … was a member of Frank Johnson’s Phoenix Suns staff in 2001-02 … prior to the NBA , served as Director of Basketball Operations/Assistant Coach for the Rochester Renegade (CBA) … spent 1986-89 in the college ranks at Michigan State as an assistant under Jud Heathcote … from 1989-1992 was head coach at the University of New Hampshire … began his coaching career as a player/coach in Switzerland from 1982-86 and led the Vevey Basketball club to its first championship in its 30-year history … is a graduate of Marquette University … led the Marquette Warriors to the 1977 NCAA Championship and scored 14 points in the National Championship Game versus North Carolina … after leading Marquette in assists for two straight years, was drafted by the Buffalo Braves in the fourth round (68th overall) of the 1979 NBA Draft … Boylan and his wife, Jane, have two daughters, Jessie and Shaina.

http://www.nba.com/coachfile/jim_boy....html?nav=page

Bryan Shaw is interesting. If he can take his anti-Pacer mojo he carried with him as a player and manifest that into pro-Pacer mojo as our coach, we'll win a frickin' title.

Default Re: Vescey with some real Pacers coaching news: Pacers to interview Brian Shaw Friday

Shaw ain't a bad idea, but his name came out of nowhere compared to what we've been hearing recently.

Default Re: Vescey with some real Pacers coaching news: Pacers to interview Brian Shaw Friday

Boylan and Shaw sound interesting.

Thanks for the info, UB. Those names don't evoke much excitement. Oh, well, the roster is more of an issue.
    Go Pacers!
    Indy Cornrows

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post

I can tell you she'll say, "hire the man today" after seeing this:

spent 1986-89 in the college ranks at Michigan State as an assistant under Jud Heathcote
    I'm surprised Iavaroni isn't listed, but maybe he's the fourth guy (or they're convinced Toronto's gonna hire him.)

I wouldn't be surprised if Shaw ends up to be a decent coach, but can't say I want somebody so green, or Green, for that matter either (remember he played with Bird way back.)
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    I can tell you she'll say, "hire the man today" after seeing this:

I'm surprised Iavaroni isn't listed, but maybe he's the fourth guy (or they're convinced Toronto's gonna hire him.)

I wouldn't be surprised if Shaw ends up to be a decent coach, but can't say I want somebody so green, or Green, for that matter either (remember he played with Bird way back.)
    Didn't he also famously get into a huge contract dispute with the Celtics forever severing ties? Jay's gotta at least like something about that.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Vescey said that Sam Mitchell and the Raptors are in contract negotiations. Peter said he doesn't know how it going to end up - it could easily break down. Nothing to report though

I'm thinking Iavaroni is the 4th guy. I could be wrong, but I've heard the Pacers are pretty high on him.

Shaw makes some sense, and its somebody one of us shouldve thought of ourselves as a possible candidate. Im not saying I have any knowledge of how Shaw will coach exactly or how successful he will be, its just that with his background as a Celtic and as an assistant under Phil Jackson, he looks like an interesting candidate Larry would be likely to consider.

Strictly from a basketball point of view, I kind of like the idea of hiring a fresh face like Shaw, someone who has played in the league recently yet has experience working under one of the game's great coaching staffs (not just Phil Jackson, but Tex Winter is out there too and is a great offensive basketball mind.) I would assume that Shaw would bring in a veteran coach to be on his staff much like Avery Johnson has in Del Harris. Thinking ahead, some names Shaw might bring in as assistants would be Chris Ford drom his Celtic days, or perhaps one of the best assistant coaches in the game, Jim Cleamons from New Orleans.

I would guess that both Jay and I would be pleased with the direction a team coached by Shaw might take offensively, as he has extensive experience playing in offenses that play with a 2 guard front instead of a traditional solo point guard alignment. I dont know whether he'd install the triangle offense in its entirety, but I suspect we'd structure our offense to contain aspects of it. I feel pretty sure we'd see Daniels and some other guard sharing the ball in the backcourt, and playing without a true point guard alot of the time.

Again, this is all speculation, but getting a branch from the Phil Jackson tree might not be a bad move at all. I still prefer Donn Nelson Jr, but since Larry and Bird dont seem to ever call and ask me.....I think Shaw makes an interesting choice.

Just my opinion of course.

Tbird

A friend of mine e-mailed me this morning asking if I thought the Pacers were gonna get Mitchell. My response was...As long as Larry's in charge look for former Celtics to be running the show. I listed these four guys.....

Brian Shaw
    Sam Vincent
    Chris Ford
    Dave Cowens

I just thought I'd add that because I named those four in jest.

With Boylan having playing for Al McGuire and coaching under Jud (thus the association with Skiles), that is not a bad basketball lineage at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Vescey said that Sam Mitchell and the Raptors are in contract negotiations. Peter said he doesn't know how it going to end up - it could easily break down. Nothing to report though

Colangelo said yesterday that he would love Sam back, but it's up to Sam if he wants to stay in Toronto. . .He's trying to make it seem that Sam might not want to come back. . .Colangelo and his mind games lol

Sounds like the team isn't looking to win now since they are going after mostly low-profile candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneal07 View Post
    Colangelo said yesterday that he would love Sam back, but it's up to Sam if he wants to stay in Toronto. . .He's trying to make it seem that Sam might not want to come back. . .Colangelo and his mind games lol
    Yeah Bryan has said a couple of times in the past month that he hopes to keep Mitchell...to the extent of saying it is their "#1 priority." He has also said he is not sure that he will even give other teams permission to speak with Mitchell. So I think you could possibly switch Iavaroni's name with Mitchell's.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

KNowing Vescey two of the names are actually being considered the third one was just made up and after that he is just reaching. Still its better than nothing.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

woman without a team

I would guess that Boylin is Scott's lead assistant like Mike Brown was with the Pacers when he was here.

As much as I like the guy you can have him as long as you stop trying to trade for or sign the players the Bulls already have.

Quote Originally Posted by indyman37 View Post
    Yeah Bryan has said a couple of times in the past month that he hopes to keep Mitchell...to the extent of saying it is their "#1 priority." He has also said he is not sure that he will even give other teams permission to speak with Mitchell. So I think you could possibly switch Iavaroni's name with Mitchell's.
    Yeah, Colangelo sees how the player reacts to Mitchell and listens to him,so of course he'd be #1 Priority. . .But I still don't know. . .Colangelo also has a short fuse and woul fire Mitchell if things don't go as planned!!! Cause his expectations for next season would be even higher even though the Raps over acheived this year

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Maybe these names serve a dual purpose..also pointing to a potential trade target, and smoothing the way by having a coach the potential players would be comfortable with.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

lakers gm confirms that pacers are talking with brian shaw

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../1088/SPORTS04

In another development, the Los Angeles Lakers granted permission for the Pacers to talk to assistant coach Brian Shaw, according to the Riverside (Calif.) Press-Enterprise. Shaw played with Pacers president Larry Bird on the Boston Celtics.

"They called and asked for permission and, yes, we granted them permission," said Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak.
    vecsey's sources still getting hits i guess