Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spending Sunday at the ER.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Default Spending Sunday at the ER.

Went surfing out at Bay Street and it was remarkably glassy. I was out maybe 20 minutes and got a good ride in, got stuck inside during a surprisingly large set, finally made my way outside and waited for a good one. the good one came, I start paddling and it was more than good, it was a wall, and I was inside it.

Stupid stupid stupid. I try to put on the brakes and lift out of it, but I still go over the falls and and somehow lose my grip on my board as I go into the washing machine. Imagine getting tackled in football from two directions at once. Now imagine it happening underwater. While getting worked, I feel the *slightest* pin prick on my leg. I think to myself "Was that my board?"

I come up and recover and get back on my board when I feel that spot on my leg kind of sting a little. Ah, I might have a little cut, better take a look and see what's up. I swing my leg around and take a look.

Horror movie cadaver hole. Holy ****!

The gash in my calf was obviously from a fin. Anyone hear about the "shark" scare in Santa Monica on Sunday? That was because a bunch of tourists saw the gaping hole in my leg and went crazy with panic.

Fast Forward to the ER --

My wound was about 3 or so inches long, a couple of inches wide and an inch deep. It went all the way through the skin, fatty tissue and even nicked the muscle fascia and left a patch of muscle the size of a small lemon just sitting there exposed. The muscle wasn't damaged at all, in fact that was the weird thing about the wound. the muscle itself was untouched, it just didn't have any covering on it, not even the thin protective white sheath.

I didn't know that human muscle was light pink. Swear to God, it looks like uncooked, skinned chicken breast meat.

By the way, on the surface, it looks like there is no fat on my calf, but open wide and there's a 1/2 inch layer of yellow-white cottage cheese just sitting there. It's freaky looking.

I was the big hit at the ER. All of the doctors and nurses wanted to get a look at it. They kept asking me to flex my foot so they could see the exposed muscle flex and slide. One would leave the room, tell others and then three more people would come in to look. One of them said she never saw this stuff on a living person before and was freaking out about seeing all the layers in perfect cross section on my leg.

ANYWAY - It actually stitched together pretty nicely and will leave a good scar. I missed a tattoo by a half inch, so I consider myself lucky in that department. I;ve been walking around too much and my foot has swollen into a giant fluid sack.

Due to infection risk, there will be no surfing until the stitches come out (two weeks)

Anyone have any healing advise? Much appreciated.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Default Re: Spending Sunday at the ER.

Holy crap!

Glad you're alright!
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Same here!

You gave me quite a scare.

I hope you have pictures you can share with us. That is scary- glad you are OK - sounds like it could have been much worse.

But I need to mention - that sort of thing just doesn't happen in a nice conservative midwestern town like Indy - are you sure you want to stay in LA

MMMMmmmm. Cottage cheese and chicken breasts.........

That's quite a story. Glad you're going to be OK. I agree with UB, though. This never would've happened in an industrial loft above a liquor store in Chicago.

I, too, look forward to a picture or two. Let me know if I need to order any dresses to help with medical expenses.....
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

I consume tiny briefs Robobtowncolt's Avatar

Wow, I read about that. That's crazy. Glad you're okay, and thanks for making me not want to finish my breakfast.
    Narf!

Glad to hear you are ok, but I too would be interested in pictures.

I spent last week in the hospital ER, and then got admitted.

I had a virus begin to attack the tissue surronding my heart causing it to swell. Kaufman may know what it is....Plural Pericarditis.

Feels and acts like you are having a heart attack. Scared the jeebus out of me.

Got to do the stress test, a dozen EKG's, blood tests out the wazoo, etc.

Heart is VERY healthy, cholesterol, blood pressure all in good shape now. So it wasn't a heart attack nor anything that I did to cause it like not eating right, not exercising etc.

Couple weeks of recovery and I should be ok, but it makes it a do anything physical, etc. And for the first couple days, I got tired easy, but everything is getting better every day now.

But yours sounds much more fun LA. At least you'll have a good war story to go along with that Scar.

Huh, convenient timing there Gyron. I bet you never had that problem before my kid was born.

Glad you're okay too.
    Narf!

You know, that was the first thing I thoguht about when I thought I was having a heart attack, my son. It was a bit of a wake up call. Ive changed my eating habits already, and will lose weight and when Im allowed to again, Im gonna start some type of exercise program. I don't want to miss out on him growing up.

Yeah, I can imagine that would have that sort of impact. Even if you thought you weren't eating bad before, it's amazing how much better you can eat and healthier you can be when you're making a concerted effort.
    Narf!

Gyron, between you and me, I'd rather be me. I'm so glad to hear you are on the mend. Oh, and read Btown's post very closely.

Anyway, Thanks for the well-wishes, folks

My big big big regret is that my wife was in such a panic to get me to the ER that she forgot to grab our digital camera, even after I asked her to.

While we were there, she left to try to find a store that sold a disposable. I can post a photo of the stitched wound, but it's not nearly as cool as when it was open.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Wow, what a story. Glad you're sorta OK.
    In empathy with your plight, I too have decided to shun surfing for 2 weeks.
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

Mood

Wife forgot the camera, eh?

Well, you know what you have to do: Open that sucker back up and take some shots!

Glad you're OK.

Damn, that is a crazy story. I used to live in Florida so I know the deal with sharks and sting rays and all that.

Glad you're alright.

Ha!! I surf fearlessly and recklessly!! Haven't been hurt, yet!

and BTW?

Horror movie cadaver hole. Holy ****!
    I hate to laught at your pain, but good line.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

By the way, my wife brought this to my attention: The fin that got me was the fin of my surfboard. It is 8" long and sharp like a knife.

There are no sharks in Santa Monica. At least none with teeth. In fact there has never (never EVER) been a fatal shark attack in LA county - that's a stretch of coast line that is 50 miles long or so. That's why the idea of tourists thinking I was bit by a shark was *supposed* to be funny.

Sorry if my post was confusing.

I ws going to ask that question, but I didn't want to seem like the dumb one......

At first when you started talking about a stinging situation, I though tyou were gonna say one of these:

Quote Originally Posted by Gyron View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I ws going to ask that question, but I didn't want to seem like the dumb one......
    Yeah same here... I was thinking, damn, those sharks don't mess around...

So did the "shark scare" make news or something? I searched google for "santa monica shark scare" and had no luck. I wanted to see how bad of a panic you caused.

ANYWAY, I'm glad Gryon and LA are both OK!
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Yeah, I read about it on CNN yesterday.
    Narf!

Quote Originally Posted by Robobtowncolt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, I read about it on CNN yesterday.
    You did NOT!

So, without further ado here's the gash after 72 hours. I'm still at yellow-and-lavender bruise phase, and you can see my super swollen Barney Rubble foot, too.

To get an idea of what it looked like before they cleaned it out and stitched it back together, imagine this as someone's closed mouth. Now imagine that mouth yelling at you while it was eating bloody cottage cheese.

Here is the offending fin:
    Last edited by Los Angeles; 09-09-2007 at 06:51 PM.

I read about a shark scare in the area on CNN's ticker yesterday. Pretty sure.

Also, thanks for the pic. I just threw away the salad I was about to eat.
    Narf!

You're welcome!

Wow - I'd love to get a link to that ticker or something. Silly tourists!

Oh, whoops. Once again confirming that I'm an idiot, I found the article. Sounded exactly like our situation, but happened in Maui and WAS an actual shark attack. Sorry.
    Narf!

This whole damn thread is full of lies.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Now you just need Magic Rat to put a scar on your avatar...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...