View Poll Results: Troy Murphy?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • A crucial piece of this team for years to come.

2 2.33%
  • A decent starter.

8 9.30%
  • First big man off the bench.

29 33.72%
  • Would Fourth or Fifth best big on a good team.

24 27.91%
  • If you can't trade him, sit him on the bench.

14 16.28%
  • If you can't trade him, buy him out.

9 10.47%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PD Referendum - Troy Murphy

Default PD Referendum - Troy Murphy

To refrain from coloring anyone's opinion before they vote, I'll not comment.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Default Re: PD Referendum - Troy Murphy

Of all the bad things to come out of New Jersey, "Toy" Murphy (because he gets played with) may just be the worst. The guy can't defend. He can't create his own shot. He's a poor man's Mehmet Okur (who himself is a poor man's Rasheed Wallace). He'd be better off coaching some Minor League baseball team. I'm sure he's a decent human being and all, but so was Eddie Gill. Worst of all, he's taking valuable minutes away from Jeff Foster (who I'd prefer to start shooting rather than keep Murphy out there)...Granted, he's a better compliment for Jermaine (because he is a threat to shoot, not necessarily to score, from outside), but he ain't no Brad Miller.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    -snip- but he ain't no Brad Miller.
    And that's the rub. I know I was one of those that expected Troy to make us forget entirely about Foster and collectively say to ourselves, "Well, he's not Brad Miller, but this lineup is working pretty well, too."

I've been largely disappointed, and frankly he's the only player I've been disappointed in with this trade. Not in his offense, I think its fine, but his rebounding and toughness. I didn't expect him to be a capable defender, so even though he's proving that correct I'm not upset about it. But I was under the impression he could be a "rugged" rebounder but I'm now convinced his rebounding stats on the west coast were inflated somehow. Oh I know he actually got the rebounds he was given credit for. But like Jeff, he can't rebound in a crowd, he just excels at chasing down the ball. Whoop-de-doo.

Jeff is not very strong physically, but he's mentally tough. Troy is weak, physically and mentally. And vastly overpaid.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

I have an admission. I expected Murphy to be better than Foster. Obviously, that was wrong. Smurph has been an utter disappointment. Terrible defensive player. Not nearly as good on offense as I thought. Not even as good of a rebounder. He is merely a bench player who makes Austin Croshere look like an all-star.

I think we will see a lot better year from him next year. Maybe I'm trying for a last minute "Sunshine Poster of the Year" write-in.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    I think we will see a lot better year from him next year. Maybe I'm trying for a last minute "Sunshine Poster of the Year" write-in.
    I don't ever want to see him try to guard Rasheed Wallace. That was like taking candy from a baby. I have never witnessed anyone score on another frontcourt player as easy.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He makes Brad Miller look like Dikembe Mutombo in his prime on the defensive end.

If his shot isn't falling, he's a complete liability.
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

His ceiling was being an overrated player on an awful team in which he could seem like a good player with his misleading stats. He ain't anything useful on a good team with championship aspirations.

Then you add in his defense and his contract into the equation...

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I know I was one of those that expected Troy to make us forget entirely about Foster

You've been waiting for that to happen for years as you continue to underestimate Jeff. As I've said for years, I'm all for Jeff coming oiff the bench, but good luck finding someone who forces Jeff to the bench.

There is no doubt that Brad Miller has been a better player than Troy, but not anymore, Brad's game has fallen off substantially. At this point I'd rather have Troy and I'm not a fan of Troy's game.

The only thing that has surprised me somewhat about Troy is his poor rebounding - he just isn't a good rebounder. But I knew Dunleavy was a much better player than Troy, I just didn't know it was this big of a gap

Mood

He was a disappointment for me. I thought he was a better scorer/rebounder than this. I was hoping his defense was simply mediocre, but it's bad.

streets ahead

murphy has done nothing that remotely impresses me since he got here.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Didn't he have some injuries in the first half of the season? Maybe that has been holding him back in the scoring/rebounding department.

Perhaps fully healthy next year he can be a more solid performer for us, albeith I don't expect anything on the defensive end.
    Maceo Baston's #1 fan on Pacers Digest!

It's one thing for Donnie to say that a wing like Dunleavy needs to get stronger to be effective, it's another to say that about a Big who's been in the league 5 years.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    but he ain't no Brad Miller.
    Dude aint even no Brad Lohaus.

I remember Murphy being a little bigger than he looked once we got him. Even thou its been a couple years since I've really watched him on a regular basis.

I'm hoping that he can bulk back up over the summer & get back to playing like he did his first 2 or 3 years in the league.

Sports Logo

I was far more disappointed in Murphy then in Dunleavy. Dunleavy was able to surprise me and show me that he is worth keeping.....despite his contract. I always knew that Murphy was a defensive liability....so his lack of defense was not a surprise....it was his inconsistency on the offensive and rebounding end is what really disappointed me. That's all he was supposed to be able to do...but he wasn't able to really step up and perform.

Between Dunleavy and Murphy inconsistencies on the offensive end...its like Dunleavy was able to contribute 1 out of 2/3 games...but with Murphy...he only seemed to contribute 1 out of 4/5 games. These obviously aren't exact #s, but when Murphy was aggressive and attacked the basket....we were really surprised....but it got to the point where I forgot that he was even playing.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    I remember Murphy being a little bigger than he looked once we got him. Even thou its been a couple years since I've really watched him on a regular basis.

I'm hoping that he can bulk back up over the summer & get back to playing like he did his first 2 or 3 years in the league.
    That's my hope, too. Here's to hoping he either lifts weights or does some push-ups this summer..........
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Sports Logo

After his 3rd season ( when he got injured and played only in 28 games ), I really think that Murphy has shied away from the type of contact that made a solid "double double" guy in his first 2 seasons with Golden State.

Especially with that recurring Nose injury that he gets from time to time.....its obvious that he doesn't play at the level of aggressiveness that a PF needs to play in the nba in order to be successful.

What I haven't noticed...until I look at it now...is that Murphy's stats are really down this last season...compared to his last ocuple of seasons. He averaged 4 less rebounds and about 3 less points this season compared to the previous 2 seasons.

I really wonder if he is in some way injured. Not counting his rookie season.....his 2006-2007 stats are somewhat comprable to his 2003-2004 stats....the only year that he was injured.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

The Murph we saw play with us is not the player he was in the first 3 years. He was a solid rebounder and would bump and grind with anyone. The scouting reports were that he wouldn't back down even if it came to fisticuffs.

As someone pointed out, that maybe it's due to the injuries he's sustained and he's a little timid. However, if he returns to the level of his previous play (which I think he will), he will put up greater numbers.

I don't think he's been with the squad long enough to know what kind of big man he can be. I'm not ready to condemn him as he's shown that he can be a double-double player, playing in the West where good big men abound.

Mood

I can't express how badly I hope you guys are right. That he was hurt and that earlier in his career he was a tough player. I have no idea about the injury, but I could have sworn he had a rep. as a tough guy in his early GS days.

Quote Originally Posted by Roferr View Post
    The Murph we saw play with us is not the player he was in the first 3 years. He was a solid rebounder and would bump and grind with anyone.
    Unfortunately the one the Pacers got couldn't bump or grind with Vince Carter..........
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Vince Carter plays defense?

Quote Originally Posted by Roferr View Post
    The Murph we saw play with us is not the player he was in the first 3 years. He was a solid rebounder and would bump and grind with anyone. The scouting reports were that he wouldn't back down even if it came to fisticuffs.

As Cable pointed out, that maybe it's due to the injuries he's sustained that he's a little timid. However, if he returns to the level of his previous play (which I think he will), he will put up greater numbers.

I don't think he's been with the squad long enough to know what kind of big man he can be. I'm not ready to condemn him as he's shown that he can be a double-double player, playing in the West where good big men abound.
    Troy took some time to come back mentally from being injured. I'm a fan of his and have followed him, in particular, for years. You gotta look at the big picture with Troy.

He was a mid-round, 1st round pick, yet because he showed such promise BEFORE his injuries, expectations went through the roof. Not his fault. It's not like he's ever been one of those chest thumper, braggers, who overhypes himself.

The problems came when he got injured...repeatedly. Troy kinda went into a shell where he seemed to play afraid of being hurt. It really took him a while to come out of it. On top of things, as he was trying to rediscover himself, they tried running the offense through him in the low post and he just ain't that guy. It was a bad fit, so people looked at that double-double season, saw his struggles and started blasting him. Wasn't fair and wasn't his fault.

Most recently, Nellie started chipping away at his confidence by relentless benching him when he was playing well, which threw Troy as to it's meaning, and then making public comments about Troy. (He did the same thing to Diogu, but MUCH worse, saying how he doesn't know if Ike will ever "get it" about playing in the NBA.)

How to you regain your toughness when you have a coach who publically doesn't believe in you?

I think all Troy needs is a coach who believes in him and a defined role and I think you'll see the tough player from a few years ago.

I've said this before, but some players are very situational about being productive. I always point to Chauncey Billups as the most glaring example. Billups needed the right situation to flourish. I'm sure people were saying, "he's been in the league this long, no reason he'll get any better"...right before he became a Piston.

I think Troy is in a great situation here and if he's not relegated to a three pointer, Chris Mullin type role, he'll grow back into the player from years past. You gotta remember that Troy has a great reputation, going back to collge, of being a very coachable player. Couple that with his rebounding capacity and range out past the three point line, well. I'm a fan of hgis...despite his slow-footed ways.

Give us a smart coach who doesn't play head game and has a vision of what he wnats from the team and I'll show you the Troy Murphy os yhears past.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech View Post
    Troy took some time to come back mentally from being injured. I'm a fan of his and have followed him, in particular, for years. You gotta look at the big picture with Troy.

He was a mid-round, 1st round pick, yet because he showed such promise BEFORE his injuries, expectations went through the roof. Not his fault. It's not like he's ever been one of those chest thumper, braggers, who overhypes himself.

The problems came when he got injured...repeatedly. Troy kinda went into a shell where he seemed to play afraid of being hurt. It really took him a while to come out of it. On top of things, as he was trying to rediscover himself, they tried running the offense through him in the low post and he just ain't that guy. It was a bad fit, so people looked at that double-double season, saw his struggles and started blasting him. Wasn't fair and wasn't his fault.

Most recently, Nellie started chipping away at his confidence by relentless benching him when he was playing well, which threw Troy as to it's meaning, and then making public comments about Troy. (He did the same thing to Diogu, but MUCH worse, saying how he doesn't know if Ike will ever "get it" about playing in the NBA.)

How to you regain your toughness when you have a coach who publically doesn't believe in you?

I think all Troy needs is a coach who believes in him and a defined role and I think you'll see the tough player from a few years ago.

I've said this before, but some players are very situational about being productive. I always point to Chauncey Billups as the most glaring example. Billups needed the right situation to flourish. I'm sure people were saying, "he's been in the league this long, no reason he'll get any better"...right before he became a Piston.

I think Troy is in a great situation here and if he's not relegated to a three pointer, Chris Mullin type role, he'll grow back into the player from years past. You gotta remember that Troy has a great reputation, going back to collge, of being a very coachable player. Couple that with his rebounding capacity and range out past the three point line, well. I'm a fan of hgis...despite his slow-footed ways.

Give us a smart coach who doesn't play head game and has a vision of what he wnats from the team and I'll show you the Troy Murphy os yhears past.
    Your post makes a lot of sense. I think Murph will be a top-notch player for us. I only hope we obtain the right coach who will give him the chance.

Sports Logo

We would have been better off buying Jack off than taking muphyleavy