Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Official MLB thread

Default Official MLB thread

I'm not sure if there's a rule against making an official thread, if so just delete it, but I figured since there isn't a MLB team in Indiana (so no forum). That a thread should be started in case anyone wanted to talk baseball!

Being in Indiana, I know favorite teams are spread around. I'm personally a Cubs fan and they've won 8 out of 9 and are a game above .500! Soriano seems to be coming around, and hopefully Zambrano gets his act together!

Adam Lind was also a cross-town rival of my high school, so it's cool to see him on the field for the Blue Jays this year.

Of course Clemens to the dreaded Yankees!

And Dice K mania seems to have quieted a bit?!

Oh well, if ya wanna talk baseball, hopefully this thread is useful!

Go Cubbies!

Default Re: Official MLB thread

i've tried to get into baseball in the past, but never could. i recently took a week off of work and laid around the house the whole time and watched alot of baseball, and attended a couple of indy indians games and now i am hooked. i love the laid back feeling of it as opposed to the constant excitment of hoops and football (which i still love). i don't have a fav MLB team yet. i find myself rooting for the reds and cubs(because of the location), the pirates (because i used to live there) and the dodgers (because i just love the city). i went to a reds game a couple of years ago and had a good time. i am excited to catch a cubs game with samardzija playing, any idea when he will be, or is he even still in the minors?

Quote Originally Posted by lumber man View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i've tried to get into baseball in the past, but never could. i recently took a week off of work and laid around the house the whole time and watched alot of baseball, and attended a couple of indy indians games and now i am hooked. i love the laid back feeling of it as opposed to the constant excitment of hoops and football (which i still love). i don't have a fav MLB team yet. i find myself rooting for the reds and cubs(because of the location), the pirates (because i used to live there) and the dodgers (because i just love the city). i went to a reds game a couple of years ago and had a good time. i am excited to catch a cubs game with samardzija playing, any idea when he will be, or is he even still in the minors?
    Yeah most Indiana folks are either fans of the Reds, Cubs, White Sox, Cardinals, Indians, Tigers, or Royals... at least those are the teams I'm hear commonly around the area.

I've been a Cubs fan since I was a youngen. A lot of people find it hard or too long to watch, but like u said, I enjoy the laid back feeling, especially live. Foul balls and homers are always fun live, whether it's near you or not, you feel apart of it. Plus most diamonds are outdoor ballparks, so if ya get a nice day, it's a good time. I try to catch a few Indianapolis Indian games as well. Victory is one of the nicest minor league fields, so it's fun to catch a game or two... and if you're lucky you could catch a star rehabbing, or you'll be more informed on prospects!

As for Jeff Samardzija, he's still in the minors pitching for the Daytona Cubs (Single A affiliate). Last I checked he was 0-1 with an era around 2.00. He's started 4 games, but has only the one decision. It'll probably take some time before he's in the big leagues, but I'm trying to keep updated on him and Tyler Colvin, who the Cubs selected in the 1st round of the draft.

It's a little harder to watch at home, unless it's the team you're pulling for, you're playing fantasy baseball, it's a good rivalry, or the postseason

Detroit :tigers:
    Oh, no smiley.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Barry Bonds is back to his old self. He is proving that he wasn't washed up last season, but was hobbled by injuries that wouldn't let him swing the bat at 100%

Right now he has 10 homers in 74 at bats. That is an absolutely insane statistic. That is a home run 13.5% of his at bats. He has 22 RBI's, is batting .338, has an insane .784 slugging percentage, and an unbelivable .528 on base percentage.

At his current pace, he will probably break the record in mid to late June.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    Barry Bonds is back to his old self. He is proving that he wasn't washed up last season, but was hobbled by injuries that wouldn't let him swing the bat at 100%

Right now he has 10 homers in 74 at bats. That is an absolutely insane statistic. That is a home run 13.5% of his at bats. He has 22 RBI's, is batting .338, has an insane .784 slugging percentage, and an unbelivable .528 on base percentage.

At his current pace, he will probably break the record in mid to late June.
    He is swinging the back extremely well, and whether you like the guy or not, it is amazing to see him perform (at the level he is) under all the allegations and scrutiny. Steroids or not, he's still a human being and has dealt with the media, fans, MLB and judicial system pretty well given the circumstances!

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    Detroit :tigers:
    Oh, no smiley.
    Detriot is pretty good, but there pitching staff is down some. I know there's the absence of Kenny Rogers, but even if he was there... I think that staff would be in trouble a little.

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    He is swinging the back extremely well, and whether you like the guy or not, it is amazing to see him perform (at the level he is) under all the allegations and scrutiny. Steroids or not, he's still a human being and has dealt with the media, fans, MLB and judicial system pretty well given the circumstances!

No doubt. Sure enough, after I typed that, he hit another homer last night off of Glavine. The amazing thing is that he only gets a couple of good pitches every night, sometimes just one. It's nothing short of remarkable that he has managed to turn that into 11 home runs on the season. If he keeps this pace up, he definitely deserves an 8th MVP.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    No doubt. Sure enough, after I typed that, he hit another homer last night off of Glavine. The amazing thing is that he only gets a couple of good pitches every night, sometimes just one. It's nothing short of remarkable that he has managed to turn that into 11 home runs on the season. If he keeps this pace up, he definitely deserves an 8th MVP.
    Possibly, though his numbers would be remarkable at this pace, there are times (last night for ex.) that Bonds is the only spark for the Giants. So an 8th MVP would depend on the Giants season.

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    Possibly, though his numbers would be remarkable at this pace, there are times (last night for ex.) that Bonds is the only spark for the Giants. So an 8th MVP would depend on the Giants season.

As long as they are a little over .500, he should get it. In 2004 they didn't make the playoffs but he still won because of his ridiculous statistics.

If Barry Bonds wins MVP this year, I will never watch baseball again.

Barry Bonds>>>>

And he will win MVP again. Too bad no one else on the Giants can get on base.

Matt Cain >>> Your teams ace

I have tried to get into baseball in the past, but just couldn't. So this year, I decided to pick a team and follow them all season. I picked the Pittsburgh Pirates because everyone in my family is Pirates fans. They are doing a little better than they did last year, but I have a feeling its not going to be the greatest team to follow.
    I was ready for Josh Smith to go to Indiana, but he went to the NBA. I am ready for him to come to Indiana once again.

Quote Originally Posted by tinsley#11 View Post
    I have tried to get into baseball in the past, but just couldn't. So this year, I decided to pick a team and follow them all season. I picked the Pittsburgh Pirates because everyone in my family is Pirates fans. They are doing a little better than they did last year, but I have a feeling its not going to be the greatest team to follow.
    Soriano leads off the bottom of the 1st with HR!

Too bad the Cubs couldn't finish them off last night!

If Bonds keeps his current pace up and doesn't win MVP it will only be because of the bias against him.

He is the MVP so far this season, there is no doubt about it.

He is leading the NL in homeruns, and once again is back to his freakish onbase and slugging percentages.

He is the main reason why the Giants are a game above .500. Without him, they would be beyond awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac View Post
    Barry Bonds>>>>

And he will win MVP again. Too bad no one else on the Giants can get on base.

Matt Cain >>> Your teams ace
    He MIGHT win MVP again, but I doubt it'll happen. I think someone like Jose Reyes might win it!

And Matt Cain is a good upcoming pitcher, but he's not better every teams ace!

Maybe mine right now, but Zambrabo should come around. I actually think Rich Hill is better then Matt Cain when it comes to young pitchers. SO is Cole Hamels and a handful of others.

Reppin the 317

My cubbies are doin really good now as Marquis is starting to play worth his money (7 mil a year for 3) with his 5-1 1.99 ERA. Threwa 3-hitter shutout against pitsburgh (doesnt mean anything tho:P) last night. Even .500 and towards the top of the division as the Cards are at the bottom!

Quote Originally Posted by DisapointedPacerFan View Post
    My cubbies are doin really good now as Marquis is starting to play worth his money (7 mil a year for 3) with his 5-1 1.99 ERA. Threwa 3-hitter shutout against pitsburgh (doesnt mean anything tho:P) last night. Even .500 and towards the top of the division as the Cards are at the bottom!
    Yeah our rotation has been really good 2-4. Hill & Marquis are 4-1 and 5-1 with era's under 2.00. Lilly has pitched extremely well also, he just hasn't had the run support to back him up! Big Z has been terrible early. I dunno if it's the contract talks, or if he just isn't confident. Maybe his mechanics are off, whatever it is, he needs to get his act together! The 5th starter hasn't had many good outings either. Wade Miller struggled there, but Guzman had a solid outing his last time out, so we'll see what happens with the rotation as the year progresses!

I think the batting will come along. Theriot should be the SS b/c he plays well defensively and comes throught at the plate, which is something Izzy can't do. Of Cedeno got sent down to the minors. Soriano should come around, Dlee and Ramy will stay consistent. Barrett is a solid catcher, I think Derosa is nice at 2nd, but we're congested in the OF. Soriano will be in left. They sent down Pie and brought up Pagan to split time with JJ in CF, and Murton and Floyd split in RF.

I wouldn't mind Pie being the everyday CF, with the switch hitting Pagan giving him days off. You would then have Floyd and either JJ or Murton platooning in RF. Whichever one is the odd man out, you trade them for a 5th starter, and use Guzman for long relief duty.

I think the Cubbies will have a fine year though.. it appears they're coming around! And it is definitely awesome to see the Cards struggling.. which should continue without Carpenter!

It's really hard being a Cubs fan! Talk about getting your expectations up and being disappointed year in and year out!

And some think the Pacers are in bad shape.... HA!

Finally MLB thread!!!! I live in Southern Illinois where the Cardinal/Cubs fued Rages. I hope Z can pull it together. I love every part of Carlos, I know he can do it. This year is still looking good, I'm still optimistic. I miss Ronny, but with all of the changes we made in the off season, it's hard to get everybody time. Lilly and Marquis have been great. Derek Lee has been Derek Lee, class act and outstanding player.

Does Anybody know where to get Hank White (Henry Blanco) Fan Club T-shirts somewhere other than Cafe Press?
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

Do Not Trade Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

Quote Originally Posted by 8.9_seconds View Post
    Finally MLB thread!!!! I live in Southern Illinois where the Cardinal/Cubs fued Rages. I hope Z can pull it together. I love every part of Carlos, I know he can do it. This year is still looking good, I'm still optimistic. I miss Ronny, but with all of the changes we made in the off season, it's hard to get everybody time. Lilly and Marquis have been great. Derek Lee has been Derek Lee, class act and outstanding player.

Does Anybody know where to get Hank White (Henry Blanco) Fan Club T-shirts somewhere other than Cafe Press?
    Big Z didn't have it together today, and if that wasn't bad enough, he gets into it with Barrett in the dugout today! Something has to give!

I say trade him to the Yankees with Jacque Jones or Murton for Arod.
    The Yankees can give Zambrano the contract he wants, and they add a bat to the OF b/c Damon has been injured off and on, and Abreu seems to have lost it!

ARod needs a change of scenery, and loves Pinella, so put him back at SS, next to Rammy.

Can't help you on your shirt question.. sorry

I consume tiny briefs Robobtowncolt's Avatar

Going to the Sox/Yankees game tonight.

Go Reds!
    Narf!

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robobtowncolt View Post
    Going to the Sox/Yankees game tonight.

Go Reds!

Yuck where did the other White Sox fans go. Abington? Mushmouth?

LMAO that manager for the Braves affiliate, that got ejected must've flipped his lid! OMG that was hilarious