Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knicks Monitoring O'neal and Garnett Situations

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Knicks Monitoring O'neal and Garnett Situations

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basket...y-knicks-print

Everyone watches the playoffs differently and for different reasons. Me? I pretend I'm Isiah Thomas.

And if I'm Isiah, I look at every team still alive in the Eastern Conference playoffs and realize that I need one more player to beat them. And when you consider all the players who might be available, one stands out. His initials are KG, and there is ample proof, as far as I'm concerned, that his days in Minnesota could be over.

First, the stuff we know: Kevin Garnett would give the Knicks everything they are lacking - a proven scorer and ferocious defender at power forward to complement Eddy Curry. Though Curry exceeded all reasonable expectations this season with the team on his shoulders, this wouldn't have to be his team to carry if he were sharing the low block with someone as gifted and dynamic as Garnett.

Garnett has produced one trip to the Western Conference finals in 11 seasons in Minnesota. He's tired of waiting and would bring an intense hunger. He has played with Stephon Marbury before, and both would like to hook up again.

Garnett will be 33 by the time he can opt out of his contract in the summer of 2008, already will have made $200 million in his career, and would have his pick of ready-made contenders as a free agent. But why wait? His value is never going to be higher, nor his ability to win a championship greater, than right now.

Garnett's agent, Andy Miller, dumped cold water all over my scenario, calling speculation about Garnett's future "media driven."

"I speak to Kevin McHale frequently, and there's been no discussion about what they would do because he hasn't told me that they're going to do something," Miller said.

Don't worry, the time will come. It would be irresponsible for Minnesota not to at least listen to offers, and Thomas should be first in line.

In fact, the Knicks already are monitoring Garnett's situation closely, as well they should. Despite saying he's not looking to make major changes, Thomas also is focusing on Indiana's Jermaine O'Neal, perhaps even more so than Garnett.

Thomas coached O'Neal with the Pacers, and assistant coach George Glymph was O'Neal's high school coach in South Carolina. O'Neal, who also has an opt-out after next season, would be a fine complement to Curry, but Garnett should be option No. 1 and O'Neal 1a.

Why? O'Neal would get the Knicks to the playoffs. Garnett would get them somewhere once they're in.

Here is how it would work: The Timberwolves need first-round picks, because they still owe one to the Clippers (top-10 protected) and another to the Celtics from previous deals. The Knicks could make the argument that they've already signed their No. 1 pick, Randolph Morris, and thus include their 23rd selection in a package for Garnett.

The Knicks then could offer a scoring big man (Channing Frye, $2.49 million), a clutch-shooting guard (Jamal Crawford, $7.92 million), a 6-11 forward who can defend three positions (Jared Jeffries, $5.6 million) and a veteran whose contract expires after the 2008-09 season (Malik Rose, $7.1 million). The salaries would just about match up, give or take a throw-in going back to the Knicks.
    Even if Minnesota demanded David Lee as part of the deal for Garnett, it apparently wouldn't be a deal-breaker for Thomas - nor should it be.

One sticking point would be the Knicks' desire to pawn off Steve Francis' contract, which has two years and $33.6 million left. Francis would balk at going to either Minnesota or Indiana.

Either way, if the Knicks could land Garnett, we would be talking about how they match up with Cleveland, New Jersey, Chicago or Detroit in the second round. If I'm Isiah, I'd like my chances against any of them with one more piece.

Crawford vows playoff berth

With Golden State's Adonal Foyle finally making the playoffs in his 10th season, the dubious honor of longest tenure in the NBA without making the playoffs goes to Crawford (seven years).

"That will change next year," Crawford said in a phone interview. "You can quote me on that one. We'll be in the playoffs next year and beyond, God-willing that everyone is healthy."

Curry (six years) is tied with three other players for second. Curry's Bulls made the playoffs a year after Crawford was traded to the Knicks, but Curry couldn't play because of his heart condition.

Going gets tough for Nets draw

The Nets got a tough scheduling draw after knocking out the Raptors on Friday night.

They got only one day to prepare for the Cavaliers, who have been off since completing a sweep of the Wizards on Monday night. Plus, New Jersey drew the 1 p.m. TV slot today for Game 1 of the Eastern Conference semifinals in Cleveland. The Cavs won the season series, 2-1.

I know some of the bolded parts are talking about Garnett but I'm sure similar deals could be made.

Default Re: Knicks Monitoring O'neal and Garnett Situations

David Lee

I'm all for trading JO to NY, especially if GS wins this year, Jack wins Finals MVP, and ATL drafts Oden and Conley.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Every game that Phoenix loses,JO's value keeps going up. If Phoenix loses you will have three teams looking to get JO. NO WAY does JO go to
    New York. It will be out west or he stays put.
    LA, Phoenix and Denver would all be interested.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

I love the media. What GM in the NBA isn't paying attention to what's going on with KG and JO?

Then there's the spin - Let's re-write the following:

The Knicks then could offer a scoring big man (Channing Frye, $2.49 million), a clutch-shooting guard (Jamal Crawford, $7.92 million), a 6-11 forward who can defend three positions (Jared Jeffries, $5.6 million) and a veteran whose contract expires after the 2008-09 season (Malik Rose, $7.1 million).
    to

The Knicks then could offer a soft, lousy defending big man (Channing Frye, $2.49 million), an erratic, turnover-prone guard (Jamal Crawford, $7.92 million), a 6-11 forward who was completely useless and a huge flop last season (Jared Jeffries, $5.6 million) and a veteran whose contract expires after the 2008-09 season (Malik Rose, $7.1 million).
    I actually like Crawford but he does get wild sometimes - everyone else on that list equates to Knicks garbage - and the writer thinks that'll bring in KG or JO?

Yeesh.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

The Knicks do not have the assets to get KG. They have a much better shot at JO...if the parties will put away their egos and make a deal.

I want David Lee, Channing Frye, Crawford a pick and filler for JO and Tinsley. I would take Crawford as well if available, but I doubt that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Every game that Phoenix loses,JO's value keeps going up. If Phoenix loses you will have three teams looking to get JO. NO WAY does JO go to
    New York. It will be out west or he stays put.
    LA, Phoenix and Denver would all be interested.
    Maybe so, but I doubt Denver. They already need to dump salary. I would expect LA. LA or NY is my bet, with LA being the frontrunner. Tinsley must go with him tho. We will want Odom, Bynum and Farmar. Kobe wants vets. Tinsley and JO are both his age.

1..2..3.. lil old blue sportsmusicxboxpacer's Avatar

no ny players pass!
    IF YOU A PACER FAN DONT BASH TO THE PACERS..!!!!!

Zeke could offer a much better deal than LA could. MUCH better.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    If the deal centers around Lee and Crawford, I'd have to agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    'Could' doesn't necessarily equal 'would'...

I guess the game is about to begin on seeing where we're headed for the future.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

A deal centered around J-Craw and Frye sounds pretty good to me.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I'd do that deal even without Lee.

Just sayin'.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    David Lee
    Excuse my ignorance, but really how good is David Lee? I know that I seen the Rookie game but that is all I really have seen of him besides the time he's played the Pacers.

I guess from what I seen I came away thinking he was about the same caliber as Jeff Foster. Does he actually have a jump shot? I know rebounding is his calling card, but what about blocking, post defense, offensive awareness. I really don't know anything about him, but see that a lot of folks think this is the most valuable player on the Knicks. From the very few games that I have seen him in, I haven't seen what makes him so good.

I don't know, so I'm asking somebody.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Lee is clearly better than Frye. Shocking because of their draft positions. Lee has a far better FG% and is a MUCH better rebounder. He averaged a double double and Frye averaged a single single. There is no doubt Lee has a higher market value. Frye is soft and has been a bust compared to what was expected.

Crawford is a veteran SG. Very tough to compare to the younger Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but really how good is David Lee? I know that I seen the Rookie game but that is all I really have seen of him besides the time he's played the Pacers.

I guess from what I seen I came away thinking he was about the same caliber as Jeff Foster. Does he actually have a jump shot? I know rebounding is his calling card, but what about blocking, post defense, offensive awareness. I really don't know anything about him, but see that a lot of folks think this is the most valuable player on the Knicks. From the very few games that I have seen him in, I haven't seen what makes him so good.

He isn't that great - no doubt about that. he is similar to Jeff - no doubt about that. But IMO he is the Knicks best player - certainly not their most talented player - but he is really the only player I want from the Knicks roster.

He's better than Jeff IMO and you know how much I like Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post

He is Jeff Foster with a good offensive game. Very good FG% Constant, high energy like Jeff.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I also think that Frye is a special player.

Frye could do well under the right coach. And I think his skill set is far enough apart from Ike to not be a problem.

Or he could be the next Bender (without the knee injury).

Either way, he's a bargain.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

I think that's a good way to describe Lee from what I know of him: Imagine if Jeff Foster could hit all those layups. Plus, Lee looks slightly bigger/stronger to me.

Plus, no bad hip.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

If we include Tinsley then NY would have no need of Mardy Collins.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    If we include Tinsley then NY would have no need of Mardy Collins.
    Greedy.

Actually, it would be fascinating to watch a frontcourt of JO/Curry with a backcourt of Tinsley/Starbury. Tins would go back to his distributor role in that lineup, Starbury could focus on being a scorer, and Jermaine and Curry would own the paint. Not saying they'd win (although it would be an improvement on this year), but it would be the most entertaining team NY's had in a long time.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

And back to the unanswered point of the original post, I'm sure Zeke would love to move Jared Jeffries, but I can't imagine what we'd do with him (unless we wanted to play the all-SF team).

Jeffries would actually be kind of cool from a "fan interest" perspective, and the Indy brass has always liked him. But you've got Granger/Shawne/Dunleavy/Quis that would get minutes ahead of him at the 3, which isn't good for a guy getting the MLE for the next 6 years.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Breakdown
    Outgoing
    Jermaine O'Neal
    6-11 C from Eau Claire (HS)
    19.4 ppg, 9.6 rpg, 2.4 apg in 35.7 minutes
    Jamaal Tinsley
    6-1 PG from Iowa State
    12.8 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 6.9 apg in 31.1 minutes
    Incoming
    Steve Francis
    6-3 PG from Maryland
    11.3 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 3.9 apg in 28.1 minutes
    Jamal Crawford
    6-5 SG from Michigan
    17.6 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 4.4 apg in 37.3 minutes
    Channing Frye
    6-11 PF from Arizona
    9.5 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 0.9 apg in 26.4 minutes
    Change in team outlook: +6.2 ppg, -0.6 rpg, and -0.1 apg.

I personally like this trade better than anything that LA can put together. I would like to have Frye over Lee because because of the fact we have so many PF's already and Lee matched up with Diagu is really short low post. Fransis either does something or we buy him out he will have one year on his contract compared to the Tin man. It would give us time to develop our young guys and when they are getting there stuff together we will have cap relief with Francis coming off our books. Our line-up would be...

PG Francis
    SG Crawford/Dunleavy
    SF Granger/Williams
    PF Diagu/Murphy
    C Frye/Harrison/Foster

I would live to see Foster pacaged with someone or something to try to get a young PG to develop and I think We would Probably ask for a future #1 from the nicks or there pick from this year. We also need to find a young coach that is good at developing young players.

Sports Logo

I doubt that the Knicks would do it....but the best Knicks/Pacers trade that I could come up with would be DavidLee+JCraw+Marbury+Frye for JONeal+Tinsley+Murphy.

I know.....the Knicks wouldn't do it....but that would give us a solid prospect ( Lee ), a solid SG that can easily score, a solid starting quality PG that does have a "history" and a backup PF.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.