Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: J.R. Smith is likely available.....do we want him?

Banned

Default Re: J.R. Smith is likely available.....do we want him?

Agree with you 100%, T-bird. If the asking price is Harrison, then we should absolutely take a chance on a young 2-guard with large upside.. Also, don't forget that he'd be playing for his next contract.

as much as i was with the whole get rid of the players that are messed up, seeing what that does to the team, i can live with a couple of bad eggs as long as we can be atleast be a second round type of team again... i'm not used to watching the playoffs and realizing my favorite team isnt in it, do what u gotta do to build our talent up once again...

If he is a bad egg BENCH HIM because he is about as cheap as they come apparently and he is very young meaning if he does get his act together he can be here for years to come.... if we can get JR and have a real 3pt threat once again it would be nice so i believe its a good idea

I watched Smith play about 50 times this year and he's an odd duck. You're either getting 8 or 18. Definitely a streak shooter.

He's a good 3 point shooter, not a bad defender (just gets lost sometimes, he's got the athletic ability, needs the knowledge to back it up). He can take it to the basket and has had some nasty dunks.

The attitude thing: I think it's important to note that he isn't Stephen Jackson/Ron Artest crazy. There's nothing inherently violent or unbalanced about him that can only be solved through psychological help. Smith is immature. That's reason I would take him. His faults can be solved through time and work, he isn't a lost cause.

If we don't give up to much I'd be happy to get him. It just depends on whether he wants to do the work to make himself a superstar.

If we took back crap for guys with character issues in the GS deal, I'd take JR Smith and a soon-expiring contract if the Nuggets take Dunleavy.

But other than that, no. He's too much of a risk unless we're getting additional benefits.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He might be, but he has a track record of succeeding with questionable characters. If Smith can't play for Karl, I want no part of him.

No, thank you. Not interested.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbird1245 View Post
    I understand what most of you are saying, I really do, but........

I can't believe a guy who has one year left on his rookie deal wouldnt be worth taking a flyer on.
    This is probably exactly why I wouldn't take him. I don't wan him to have one decent (contract) year to cash in on that by getting a fat contract from us and falling back to his previous behavior after that.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I actually think getting a three-point gunner like JR would compliment both Tins' and JO's games.. he basically drifts out around the three-point line, and Tins can drive and dish to him, and JO can pass it out to him to keep defenses honest..

However, we could probably say the same thing about a guy like Matt Carroll as well, but he is likely unavailable.

No thank you

Sports Logo

I am torn on this one....we REALLY need a SG that can score and hit the 3pt shot....but ( admittedly ) I am hesistant when it comes to players that has a questionable "history".

Honestly....if we get the right type of coach.....assuming that we have somehow make room for him in the SG rotation.....then I would role the dice on him. He's not going to be too expensive...he's can easily be bought out if necessary ( he's owed 4 mil over the next year )....but I think that we really need a true SG that doesn't mind taking shots, can be a little more aggressive on the offensive end and MOST NOTABLY can hit a 3pt shot.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I would take a chance on the guy, he's got exactly the tools we need in a SG.

If we could get a deal like JO/Tinsley/Harrison for Nene/Camby/Blake/Smith I'm all for it!
    Maceo Baston's #1 fan on Pacers Digest!

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

there are risks and then there are risks.

j.r. smith is a plausible move. he fits the team's needs very well. but after everything the pacers have gone through, i think it's fair to say that the possible downside is considerable. what if he plays well, becomes a core part of the rotation, then proceeds to blow up at the coach at the most inappropriate time? not far-fetched, really. and it would be yet another pr blow to a stricken franchise.

for the pacers, at this point of their makeover, i wouldn't touch j.r. smith with a ten-foot pole. it's a shame because he *is* talented, but we're still paying for mistakes of the past.

one guy i would take a risk on though, is dajuan wagner. former #6 pick of the 2002 draft, forced out of the league by his 3rd season by what turned out to be colitis (inflammation of the colon). had surgery, then made a comeback last season with the warriors. forced out again within 2 months apparently due to health.

he's an undersized sg but he was super quick and would be very well-suited to the new rules. i'd take a chance that his health has recovered sufficiently. btw he's only 24.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpolloloco View Post
    I would take a chance on the guy, he's got exactly the tools we need in a SG.

If we could get a deal like JO/Tinsley/Harrison for Nene/Camby/Blake/Smith I'm all for it!
    I'm not too high on Nene - for one, he doesn't even have a last name - but otherwise I think this deal makes sense for us, until Smith gets kicked out of the league and Camby retire. Despite my negativity, I would actually do this deal, but please, PLEASE, somehow get Troy Murphy involved.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    I think it's more important to only have one potential headcase max per team.
    Then we need to get rid of Tinsley before we can think about getting Smith.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    I'm not too high on Nene - for one, he doesn't even have a last name - but otherwise I think this deal makes sense for us, until Smith gets kicked out of the league and Camby retire. Despite my negativity, I would actually do this deal, but please, PLEASE, somehow get Troy Murphy involved.
    If you want to include Murphy the only player that can come back salarywise is Kmart, another guy with all sorts of (injury) problems.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

We could have just kept Jackson instead. He's already resigned past a rookie deal so you know he's still cheap (Jack I mean) so you aren't overpaying for a streaky player. He's actually more mature than Smith and plays much better defense.

No way at all I accept Smith coming here after the reasons given for Jackson having to go. Worse than giving into fan pressure on the GS deal would be to then bail out on the "attitude clean up" plan midway through. Then you end up with less talent, higher contracts and not even a complete set of good citizen types to make it worth it (at least a tiny bit).

Sorry, but Bird bought a ticket on the milk drinker express. You don't F'n get off now, this thing shouldn't open it's doors at any stops before the end of the line (ie, when the roster is 100% compliant with the milk drinker philosophy).

Stick to the freaking vision Bird, don't flip flop around every 6 months.

BUT J.R. Smith is only 22, and Stephen Jackson is 29.
    More importantly, J.R. is from Newark, New Jersey.

Someday all of these people here in Indiana are gonna have to bite their lips and take a player(s) that may have attitude problems.Because unless we get San Antonio's scouts,or Joe Dumars as a GM.We will have to be one of those teams that wins a title with questionable players.

I know 99% of you guys on here want the Reggie Miller/Mark Jackson team of 2000.But looking back I dont think that team ever won a title.

So its have poster boys and win 40 games and miss the playoffs,or get eliminated in the 1st round.But be able to look back and say "but at least we had the lowest tech's out of all the teams".

Or we can get some guys who may not be loved by everyone,but know how to win.And actually win over 45 games,and have a chance to win a title.
    LoneGranger33 said
    Agreed. As the members of Guns and Roses once said, "every rose has its thorn".

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    We could have just kept Jackson instead. He's already resigned past a rookie deal so you know he's still cheap (Jack I mean) so you aren't overpaying for a streaky player. He's actually more mature than Smith and plays much better defense.

No way at all I accept Smith coming here after the reasons given for Jackson having to go. Worse than giving into fan pressure on the GS deal would be to then bail out on the "attitude clean up" plan midway through. Then you end up with less talent, higher contracts and not even a complete set of good citizen types to make it worth it (at least a tiny bit).

Sorry, but Bird bought a ticket on the milk drinker express. You don't F'n get off now, this thing shouldn't open it's doors at any stops before the end of the line (ie, when the roster is 100% compliant with the milk drinker philosophy).

I'm JayRedd...and Byron Scott, Scott Skiles, George Karl and I approve this message.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    No need to get pissed at Bird, he hasn't actually done this. It's all speculation.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I think the fan base would love for us to rehabilitate this youngster into a fine, upstanding young man. Plus, he's so gosh darn dreamy!

I would rather have a team full of JR Smith's than one Stephen Jackson, the offcourt problems of Wacko Jacko makes the attitude problems of Smith look like Jackson helping an old lady crossing the street.

Can I just ask... is the asking price for Smith really so low that we could get him for Harrison?

I'd do that trade, just because at this point I see Harrison as less valuable than a future 2nd-round pick. But that would mean either the Nugz are high on Harrison or REALLY LOW on Smith.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I wouldn't trust J.R. as far as I could throw him. Dude was a straight-up chucker in New Orleans, literally consumed with his personal stats and absolutely nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpolloloco View Post
    I would rather have a team full of JR Smith's than one Stephen Jackson, the offcourt problems of Wacko Jacko makes the attitude problems of Smith look like Jackson helping an old lady crossing the street.

Oh yeah? How many offcourt problems did Jackson have at Smith's age? Give JR time and if he doesn't see the light, he will have far more issues, you can quote that.

At least Jack cared about winning. Smith doesn't understand the concept of a "team". He really doesn't. That's why the infant Hornets gave him away, the athletecism-seeking Bulls gave him away, and the 3pt shooting deprived Nuggets are going to give him away.

Smith does not care to pass or to play defense or to work hard at improving himself. He doesn't care about winning. He likes to dunk, he likes to shoot the ball.

Your comment about wanting a team full of that type of guys over one Jackson is worse than silly.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    I'm not too high on Nene - for one, he doesn't even have a last name.
    To clarify, Nene does (or did) have a last name, it's Hilario.

As for Camby, you don't want him. He's lazy, he doesn't have a post game. He won't switch on pick and rolls, leaving open thousands of uncontested jump shots and all he cares about is getting the block, so he won't foul, even if he needs to.

If we are targeting someone on the Nuggets, it needs to be Nene. He's an absolute beast and he's got the passion and fire that makes Camby look pathetic. Whoever gets him, and someone probably will because the Nuggets don't want to pay the luxury tax and no one wants Kenyon Martin, is going to have a player every bit worth his contract.

And Steve Blake kind of sucks.