Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 62

Thread: J.R. Smith is likely available.....do we want him?

  1. #1

    Default J.R. Smith is likely available.....do we want him?

    Pros: Smith is an explosive scorer at a position we are weak at (2 guard).......He is cheap and on his rookie contract still.....he has only one year left on his deal......before Denver obtained Iverson, he was playing big minutes and being productive.....he is still very young and could blossom into a very good 2 guard at minimal risk.

    Cons: His attitude is questionable at best.....he recently infuriated Denver Coach George Karl which is why he is available perhaps.....bounced around the league at a young age, already on his 3rd team in 3 years.....not a great defender or that good of a decision maker......hot headed reputation.



    I write this today because its this type of decision that will face this franchise alot this summer and beyond. Generally, Smith would be a talent upgrade for the Pacers on a roster that desperately needs explosiveness and athleticism added to its backcourt. He will likely be available for pennies on the dollar.....but will this franchise be willing to gamble on someone who while talented is considered by some to be exactly the type player we no longer want to have?

    Smith is a typical case that could go either way.....perhaps he is a player destined to bounce around the league being a cancer, like Bonzi Wells......or maybe he is a player ready to mature and take advantage of an opportunity, like Chauncey Billups was.

    What does Pacer nation think of JR Smith?

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    553

    Default Re: J.R. Smith is likely available.....do we want him?

    Where did you hear that he was available? I know he was available when he was in New Orleans, and Chicago pretty much gave him away to the Nuggets.

    If it's true, then every team thats had him has given up on him for pennies on the dollar. Something bad is up with the kid's attitude, because he has a ton of talent. Potential 20+ scorer, easily. Hell, at this point, attitude or no attitude, I'd take him for the simple fact we need fresh young talent badly.

  3. #3
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: J.R. Smith is likely available.....do we want him?

    Quote Originally Posted by thunderbird1245 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pros: Smith is an explosive scorer at a position we are weak at (2 guard).......He is cheap and on his rookie contract still.....he has only one year left on his deal......before Denver obtained Iverson, he was playing big minutes and being productive.....he is still very young and could blossom into a very good 2 guard at minimal risk.

    Cons: His attitude is questionable at best.....
    I don't know about anyone else, but I stopped reading there.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Woodside,NY
    Age
    32
    Posts
    281

    Default Re: J.R. Smith is likely available.....do we want him?

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2J View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Where did you hear that he was available? I know he was available when he was in New Orleans, and Chicago pretty much gave him away to the Nuggets.

    If it's true, then every team thats had him has given up on him for pennies on the dollar. Something bad is up with the kid's attitude, because he has a ton of talent. Potential 20+ scorer, easily. Hell, at this point, attitude or no attitude, I'd take him for the simple fact we need fresh young talent badly.

    He's got a ton of talent, no doubt about that.I wouldn't touch him.The last thing we need is another guy with some serious character issues and somebody who was considered lazy in New Orleans.Were in rebuilding mode lets bring in guys with solid character,work hard we don't need to bring in another distraction.

    Were not one piece away from winning it all.If that was the case I can understand someone taking a chance on a kid like that.We however are starting at ground zero.Lets take our time in rebuilding and do it right.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,390

    Default Re: J.R. Smith is likely available.....do we want him?

    Only if we could get him with Steve Blake attached, for Troy Murphy.

  6. #6
    Member Moses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Athens, GA
    Posts
    3,565

    Default Re: J.R. Smith is likely available.....do we want him?

    Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Only if we could get him with Steve Blake attached, for Troy Murphy.
    Haha, I agree.

  7. #7

    Default Re: J.R. Smith is likely available.....do we want him?

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2J View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Where did you hear that he was available? I know he was available when he was in New Orleans, and Chicago pretty much gave him away to the Nuggets.

    If it's true, then every team thats had him has given up on him for pennies on the dollar. Something bad is up with the kid's attitude, because he has a ton of talent. Potential 20+ scorer, easily. Hell, at this point, attitude or no attitude, I'd take him for the simple fact we need fresh young talent badly.

    George Karl ripped him in the media after game 4 of their playoff series against San Antonio. I dont have the exact qoute, but he refers to Smith's attitude playing a reduced role in garbage time and specifically one of the shots he chose to take as "defaming the game."

    Im not sure, but I dont believe Smith played in game 5....does anyone on this board follow the Nuggets closely enough to have any inside knowledge?

    In my case, Smith's contract is so incredibly cheap and short (next year is his last under contract) that I might take a flyer on him. I suspect as he makes a drive toward a new contract he might put up big numbers, and if nothing else his contract would come off the books in a season.

    In the very least, I suspect the Pacers are researching the kid, just like alot of the other teams probably are, to see if they think he is worth the gamble. I can definitely see this argument from both ways.

  8. #8
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,163

    Default Re: J.R. Smith is likely available.....do we want him?

    If Karl has problems with JR Smith, I do not want JR. We are talking Stephon Starbury II here.

  9. #9
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: J.R. Smith is likely available.....do we want him?

    I would probably try to acquire him for cheap. He might have ticked off Karl, but IMO Karl is one of the biggest ******** in coaching. I'd be interesting to see how things would work here. Just don't let him completely bend us over like Jack/Artest. If he acts up, bench/cut him.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  10. #10
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: J.R. Smith is likely available.....do we want him?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Karl has problems with JR Smith, I do not want JR. We are talking Stephon Starbury II here.
    I'm just the opposite. I think Karl is an idiotic blowhard. But maybe that's just me.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  11. #11
    Member colonialspacers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Posts
    74

    Default Re: J.R. Smith is likely available.....do we want him?

    Didn't DW say at one point right after the season ended that he'd still possibly take a chance of someone with questionable intangibles concerning a trade, but never with a draft pick? If that's the case, I can see the Pacers taking a chance on JR, although I wouldn't agree with it.

    If someone could enlighten me, I'd appreciate it.
    Proudly supporting the Indiana Pacers since 1992.

    Currently on the Darrell Armstrong, Mike Dunleavy, Jr., and Marquis Daniels bandwagons.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  12. #12
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: J.R. Smith is likely available.....do we want him?

    Also - the Spurs all but traded for this guy. This probably isn't completely correct, but I think they had a deal for JR done, but didn't get it in to the NBA offices in time. Maybe someone can correct me on that. But, basically, if his attitude didn't scare the Spurs, then it doesn't scare me - I mean, really, how often does the Spurs FO swing and miss? I'd be excited if JR came here.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Woodside,NY
    Age
    32
    Posts
    281

    Default Re: J.R. Smith is likely available.....do we want him?

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Also - the Spurs all but traded for this guy. This probably isn't completely correct, but I think they had a deal for JR done, but didn't get it in to the NBA offices in time. Maybe someone can correct me on that. But, basically, if his attitude didn't scare the Spurs, then it doesn't scare me - I mean, really, how often does the Spurs FO swing and miss? I'd be excited if JR came here.
    The Spurs are in a different postion then we are in.They have leaders on that team.They have guys who get after him and possibley keep him in check.We don't have that.

  14. #14

    Default Re: J.R. Smith is likely available.....do we want him?

    Good discussion everyone.....I like the varying opinions, and the point about the Spurs having leaders to keep Smith in line while we don't is a valid one I think.

    However, what if Smith came over in a trade for something very minimal? Wouldnt that have to factor in to our thinking?

    Something like David Harrison for JR Smith straight up interest anyone besides me? Don't laugh....Harrison is a young big man who played at Colorado, has a salary similar to Smith, and might have a role to play in Denver where Smith really doesnt at this point?

    How about something like Smith and Najara for Tinsley and Marshall?

    I put these examples just to show that trading for Smith in my view won't cost much at all.......of course, I could be wrong.

  15. #15
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: J.R. Smith is likely available.....do we want him?

    Quote Originally Posted by mike_D View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Spurs are in a different postion then we are in.They have leaders on that team.They have guys who get after him and possibley keep him in check.We don't have that.
    People always say this, but I think it's kind of overrated. SJACK was still a hot-head in SA. I think it's more important to only have one potential headcase max per team. That and have a coach capable of keeping everyone in line - I think that's the most important part. As long as the coach we bring in can work w/ JR, we would be good I think.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  16. #16
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: J.R. Smith is likely available.....do we want him?

    Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know about anyone else, but I stopped reading there.
    Bingo. In the middle of a playoff series, George Karl told him to essentially take a hike and he didn't play the rest of the series. His attitude is also what had him stay in Chicago w/ Skiles for about... a week?

    Big N-O.

  17. #17
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,959

    Default Re: J.R. Smith is likely available.....do we want him?

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm just the opposite. I think Karl is an idiotic blowhard. But maybe that's just me.
    He might be, but he has a track record of succeeding with questionable characters. If Smith can't play for Karl, I want no part of him.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,390

    Default Re: J.R. Smith is likely available.....do we want him?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bingo. In the middle of a playoff series, George Karl told him to essentially take a hike and he didn't play the rest of the series. His attitude is also what had him stay in Chicago w/ Skiles for about... a week?

    Big N-O.
    Did you mean Bin GO? Cause "Bingo" is his name-o?

    At this point, anyone who will stay on the court is okay with me. Also, anyone who will fight Nate Robinson is cool with me too.

  19. #19
    - .-- ... ... Natston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Timbuktupolis, IN
    Age
    31
    Posts
    8,244
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: J.R. Smith is likely available.....do we want him?

    Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did you mean Bin GO? Cause "Bingo" is his name-o?

    At this point, anyone who will stay on the court is okay with me. Also, anyone who will fight Nate Robinson is cool with me too.
    Just what we need...

    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)


    Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

  20. #20
    1..2..3.. lil old blue sportsmusicxboxpacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    indy baby!
    Age
    29
    Posts
    322

    Default Re: J.R. Smith is likely available.....do we want him?

    i want him just get him larry bird classes or something we need 2 man bad!
    IF YOU A PACER FAN DONT BASH TO THE PACERS..!!!!!

  21. #21
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: J.R. Smith is likely available.....do we want him?

    Pass.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  22. #22
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,935

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: J.R. Smith is likely available.....do we want him?

    For this team in the situation we're in....I'd have to pass!

    I'm not torching this idea just because the guy needs an attitude adjustment, BUT it looks like J.R. Smith is a real special kind of head case that I would want no part of. 3 team/3 years is a little much to be selling a guy as just needing an attitude adjustment. Hell, if you can't get along with Byron Scott and George Karl...What can you say about a guy other then he is a real "piece of sh---work".



    If we knew who our coach was and what kind of coach he was in relation to working with or working over the players on his team. That would factor into my opinion, if the guy was just "questionable", but since this guy is a little more "in depth" as far as knuckleheads go, I wouldn't wish him on a coach on the first year of a new gig, especially a young guy that is trying to earn respect in the league as a head coach.

    Also, if we are trying to build a young team and cut our veterans down even further...bringing in J.R. Rider..err...Smith would probably be a bad example for your young players to have to deal with.

    If J.O. is still around, I'm sure the last thing he would want is another guy to have to "fist fight" because his head isn't screwed on strait.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  23. #23
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: J.R. Smith is likely available.....do we want him?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pass.
    Best one-word response in the history of PD.

    Seriously, Q to the F to the T.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  24. #24
    Member Evan_The_Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, In. via Oakland, Ca.
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,412

    Default Re: J.R. Smith is likely available.....do we want him?

    Whether or not we want him depends on the type of person we get in here to coach him. If our coach is a true foot-up-you-*** kind of guy, then J.R. wouldn't be that big of a risk. If he's a bit soft, I'd say no to any deal involving J.R.

  25. #25

    Default Re: J.R. Smith is likely available.....do we want him?

    I understand what most of you are saying, I really do, but........

    I can't believe a guy who has one year left on his rookie deal wouldnt be worth taking a flyer on. I wouldnt want to give up much or bank my future on him or anything, and I understand the baggage he might bring but cmon, he'd have to be worth a fringe player like Harrison, wouldnt he?

    Literally there would be little risk to a Harrison for Smith deal, if such a deal would be available to us. If Smith doesnt work out his contract ends after this season anyway.

    Just my opinion however, smart people can disagree.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •