Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well guys, I suppose it was destiny........

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Well guys, I suppose it was destiny........

Since I came to Indystar 2 years ago, and here since the inception of PD, I always had a feeling that we'd soon meet on the conference's highest stage. So, I'm going to put my guns down for 24 hours, and wish you guys the best of luck. May the best team win, and if you get to the finals, I'll be rooting for you.

Should be an epic two weeks, As a basketball fan this will be the most exciting Piston series for me since 1991.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Default Re: Well guys, I suppose it was destiny........

Since I came to Indystar 2 years ago, and here since the inception of PD, I always had a feeling that we'd soon meet on the conference's highest stage. So, I'm going to put my guns down for 24 hours, and wish you guys the best of luck. May the best team win, and if you get to the finals, I'll be rooting for you.

SAME TO YOU!

Whoops, wrong face!

Liquid Slap

Should be an epic two weeks, As a basketball fan this will be the most exciting Piston series for me since 1991.
    What he said

I like Detroit! However to be truthful I would root for about anyone against the Lakers!

Why I would almost root for the Knicks if they were going against the Lakers!

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

PAX PEACE and all that good stuff now. I'm sincere when I say it. Ignore what will undoubtedly get heated up over the next couple of weeks...we know you don't really mean it, it just hurts so bad

The enmity between these two clubs has been building for a couple of years. Neither accepts a win by the other as beig anything other than a fluke. As one who watched the Indy-Knicks series with voodoo dolls and pins in hand believe me when I say I CAN"T STAND THE PISTONS EITHER. :P j/k (kinda)
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Same to you Kstat. This year the Eastern Conference reigns suprme.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

As someone who has no vested interest in who wins (except maybe going to a finals game if Indy does) I am REALLY looking forward to this series.

Two teams that play a brand of basketball that I love - fundamentally sound, tough, hardnosed and stressing defense.

It'll be ugly basketball - ain't that great!
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I liked the Pistons until they signed Sheed. Then something funny happened: Pistons fans became remarkably similar to Lakers fans. Oh, they started to show some humility after game 5 against NJ, but that was shortlived. Laker fans do the same thing. When they're on the ropes, they crawl back under the rocks from whence they came, but as soon as their fortunes turn, they quickly regain their sense of arrogance and entitlement.

May the team with the most gracious fans win, and we all know who that is.

Pacers. Indiana Pacers.

Same to you Kstat. If we are meant to lose this series, I will easily root for Detroit in the Finals.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is nice and all, but I'm ready to start talking some smack. I've been waiting for the ECF for four years. I've got my game face on.

Kstat, LiquidSlap... its not personal... and you seem like smart guys and all, but your team :censor: s!
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Liquid Slap

This is nice and all, but I'm ready to start talking some smack. I've been waiting for the ECF for four years. I've got my game face on.

Kstat, LiquidSlap... its not personal... and you seem like smart guys and all, but your team :censor: s!
    Well, that case let the mud slinging begin!!! you good for nothing #$3!s and you think the Pacers are going to win you are dumb as a @#$!.....

Ah, I can't keep that up. I am too cool for that. I have to think of some good trash talk

I said after the very first game of the season, that the Pacers and the Pistons will meet in the ECF, and I said please anyone but the Nets in the Finals, they had their chance and failed. I knew only the Pistons or the Pacers had the team to beat out the Nets.

It is a great matchup.

The two best coaches in the eastern conference and 2 of the top 5 coaches in the whole NBA

Two midwest cities. Two cites that love their basketball and know their basketball.

Two teams that "play the right way"

it will be a lot of fun.

However we all should be prepared for the barrage of "this is such ugly basketball" stories. 80 points will be enough to win most of these games, and I foresee 2 or 3 games where both teams are in the 70's. When that happens the story will be "ugly basketball"

Zesty

As long as the Pacers end up with a W, I think it'll be a thing of beauty.

Mood

Well, that case let the mud slinging begin!!! you good for nothing #$3!s and you think the Pacers are going to win you are dumb as a @#$!.....

Ah, I can't keep that up. I am too cool for that. I have to think of some good trash talk
    Let me give you some starter tips. Tractors, our sisters/cousins/daughters, and vatious farm animals and what we do with any of the aforementioned relatives have always been fun targets for Brick fans. Start there or try to be original.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yes, it does seem a bit predestined. I've enjoyed watching the Pistons all season. They're one of my other favorite teams. If the Pistons happen to pull out a series victory, I'll have no problem pulling for them in the Finals. Best of luck to both teams.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Let me give you some starter tips. Tractors, our sisters/cousins/daughters, and vatious farm animals and what we do with any of the aforementioned relatives have always been fun targets for Brick fans. Start there or try to be original.
    Ah - the good 'ole days. Say Geezer - do you think YOUR tractor's sexy?

I miss jonz.

edit: Actually I miss having a competitive team.

Mood

I miss jonz.

It's sexier than that lyin' red-neck biayatch ya'll imported to represent New Yawk in the United States Congress. Tractors in Manhatten what next??? I know...euros playing for the Pistons!

I miss jonz.

It's sexier than that lyin' red-neck biayatch ya'll imported to represent New Yawk in the United States Congress. Tractors in Manhatten what next??? I know...euros playing for the Pistons!
    Don't think we want to go there. As usual, upstate NY voted against her by about 60-40%. Downstate (the City, Island, & about 5 counties) voted for her by a small margin - guess who wins?

If you want to learn to hate a democracy, live in upstate NY - don't know why we even vote (or voted - haven't lived there in 15 years).

Mood

I miss jonz.

Don't think we want to go there. As usual, upstate NY voted against her by about 60-40%. Downstate (the City, Island, & about 5 counties) voted for her by a small margin - guess who wins?

If you want to learn to hate a democracy, live in upstate NY - don't know why we even vote (or voted - haven't lived there in 15 years).

I know Rim, I was just dragging out some old material to get warmed up with. Ahhh the misspent days of my youth....seems like it was just 4 or 5 years ago.

As a Pacer fan I would just like to say that I respect the Detroit Pistons as much as I respect this team. There is no sense in talking trash about the Pistons because they are the type of team I wouldn't mind to see a future generation of Pacers resemble.

So far, the best team has won each series in the Playoffs and I expect the same with this series.

The truth is, I don't know which team is better. But I guarantee it is going to be alot of fun and cause alot of heartbreak to find out.

The East will be represented well this year in the finals.

With that said, Let the War Begin!

Paahking my caahr in Haahvad Yaahd... ;-)

I respect the hard-nosed, aggressive defense played by the Pistons, particularly Big Ben, who was my top pick on my fantasy league team. I'm looking forward to a tough, bruising, take-no-prisoners series between two of the best teams in the league!
    Your horse is dead, get off it already...

Just thought I'd ressurrect this thread in retrospect. If any of you guys feel differently, thats cool, but i havent changed, I'll still root for Indy to get back to the ECF next year.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

I'm torn right now. I have a lot of respect for the tough, intense defense played in this series. Plus, I would love to have Rip or Ben Wallace on my team, any day of the week. But I hate Rasheed as much as I've ever hated anybody, Starks included.

Do I hate 'sheed more that I dislike the Lakers? I dunno.

Good luck, I guess. How 'bout the Pistons win, but 'sheed goes 0-50? I can handle that. It's win-win.

Did I mention how much I'd love to have Rip? Y'all wouldn't mind trading him, right? You saw that dunk by Austin. Rip for Austin, straight up? :-)
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Do I hate 'sheed more that I dislike the Lakers? I dunno.
    For me it comes down to Larry Brown. Rasheed is nothing compared to the respect and admiration I have for LB. I want to see him win it all.

Besides, I already have practice rooting for LB in spite of a player I dislike when I pulled for Iverson vs the Lakers. <shiver>

Plus, like most everyone else, I'm sick and tired of the Lakers.

Congrats Kstat and all the other classy Piston fans who frequented the board the past couple of weeks. I kept thinking the Pacers were on a mission - not thinking there was another team on a mission. We will learn a lot from this year.

Having not watched DEEEEEEEETROIT basketball much this year, I have to say I absolutely love Ben and Rip.

I will be with "y'all". It would be unbearable to see the Lakers win it. GO PISTONS!!!
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.