Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Watches the Watchmen? 300 Director's next project: Alan Moore's Watchmen.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Default WATCHMEN Movie Thread

HOLY CRAP.

First, before we get into the article. Let me tell you a story. on the HD version of 300's trailer there was a single frame inserted by the filmmakers. It is the first still released of perhaps the most daring comic book adaptation to date.

The only Graphic Novel to win a Hugo award. The only graphic novel Time Magazine listed among the "100 best novels since 1923".

WATCHMEN

So what was the image? You can see it here in all it's hi-res glory:

http://www.aintitcool.com/images2007/rorshach_badge.jpg

I have been against adapting this book to film for over 20 years. I mean completely against it. But after seeing and loving 300 (I like nipples ) I think this might have a shot at being decent.

Now on to the Hollywood Reporter:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/..._id=1003557253

'Watchmen' feeding off '300' spoils

by Borys Kit

March 13, 2007

"Who watches the Watchmen?" was the tagline of the seminal 1986 Alan Moore miniseries about a group of heroes investigating the murder of one of their own. In 2007, in the warm glow of "300's" blockbuster opening, the answer could be "everybody."

Zack Snyder, the director of Warner Bros. Pictures' "300," has been developing "Watchmen" at Warners since June, and during the recent press tour for the Spartan epic, he has openly said he is aiming for a summer shoot for "Watchmen."

Snyder's enthusiasm for the project spilled out online late last week when a Snyder-created image of one of the "Watchmen" characters was discovered embedded in a DVD trailer distributed by marketing street teams and was posted all over the Web.

Street Wise Marketing was charged with running a campaign using tactics from a community Web site to handing out Spartan condoms ("Prepare for glory," read the packaging) and a DVD of the "300" trailer that was a sensation at last year's Comic-Con International in San Diego. Inserted at the 1:52 mark is an image of Rorschach, the hero with an inkblot mask, a trench coat and hat, with a gray city behind him. According to sources, the shot is a test image of what that character might look like. At this point, the movie is not greenlighted, nor is it cast.

Street Wise knew of the insert but was asked not to disclose it. The trailer was in the hands of viewers for about a week before someone noticed it and posted it on YouTube.

Adapting "Watchmen" has stymied such filmmakers as Darren Aronofsky and Paul Greengrass and such studios as Universal and Paramount. The scope and density of the source material -- the only graphic novel Time Magazine listed among the 100 best novels since 1923 -- is vast and budgetary concerns were among the reasons the project was put into turnaround by Paramount in early 2005.

"To do it right, you need a huge budget," an insider said.

Sources said Snyder's vision for the movie would have the project in the $150 million range. The studio, on the other hand, wants to keep it less than $100 million. Snyder's "300," based on another award-winning comic book, cost about $65 million to make and grossed $70 million during the weekend, breaking records and surprising many at the studio.
    Last edited by Los Angeles; 07-21-2008 at 05:49 PM.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Default Re: Who Watches the Watchmen? 300 Director's next project: Alan Moore's Watchmen.

Watch Snyder dish in detail about how he wants to make the film: (video)

http://www.reelzchannel.com/moviedet...3&clipid=18326
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Default Re: Who Watches the Watchmen? 300 Director's next project: Alan Moore's Watchmen.

Visually, I'm not worried about the movie. Moore is a lot harder to adapt than Miller. I haven't seen Moore's sensiblities remain intact on an adaptation. I just don't see how Watchmen can be condensed and made Hollywood palpible inregards to plotting and marketing.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Visually, I'm not worried about the movie. Moore is a lot harder to adapt than Miller. I haven't seen Moore's sensiblities remain intact on an adaptation. I just don't see how Watchmen can be condensed and made Hollywood palpible inregards to plotting and marketing.
    The one thing that gives me hope: In the interview, Snyder mentions the length of the film: 150 pages (screen time is generally thought of as 1 page=1 minute) without the black freighter.

Meaning there's a much longer version with the Black Freighter story.

Please please please leave the Black Freighter in.

Has nobody else read this?

*crickets*

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    Has nobody else read this?

*crickets*
    Uh, I've heard of it.

Sorry, the last comic I read was an Incredible Hulk of my brother's, which I then ripped up. In my defense, I was 3.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I've read it. It's excellent.

I've known about Snyder directing this for a while. I know Watchmen's been in development hell for a long time. I believe Terry Gilliam was going to direct it in the '80s, but it never got off the ground. I'm glad to hear that this one may actually have some good things going for it.

I read a lot of interviews with Snyder and he's saying a lot of good things. I'm glad that he's keeping it in the 1980s (and not updating it, like V for Vendetta) and keeping Nixon as president, etc.

As for keeping the Black Freighter stuff in or not, I hope they film it, cut it out of the theatrical release, but put it back in the movie for the DVD.

Even though I like what I'm hearing, I'm still slightly worried about it. Either way, I think I'll still come out disappointed. Although I guess a lot people say that about movies that are adapted from books.

Call me a heathen, but I really didn't like the black freighter storyline. I'd just assume they leave it alone and focus on the book proper. That being said, I just don't see how it would be possible to mak a good film out of this. I can see the studio execs sticky noting the heart of the film out of existance.

As much as I loved Watchmen (And Miracleman, which just popped into my head), I really don't want them to make a movie out of it.

Also, check out this poll on casting for the movie. (I really like the Powers Booth idea for the comedian and Jude Law as Ozmandius.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Uh, I've heard of it.

Sorry, the last comic I read was an Incredible Hulk of my brother's, which I then ripped up. In my defense, I was 3.
    This isn't a comic book. It's a epic novel with all of the richness in detail and depth one would expect from a great novel.

While it technically is a superhero story, the heroes are mostly just regular people in masks with emotional problems, and in the story they are just called vigilantes, a practice that has been outlawed.

Friend of mine HATES superhero stories. He doesn't ever see superhero movies, he automatically hates any movie with "man" at the end of the title. He is a book collector and avid reader.

I lent him two books to read: 1) Jimmy Corrigan, Smartest Kid on Earth; and 2) Watchmen

Direct quote: "I read maybe 60 books last year - out of all of them, those were the two best."

Don't let the pictures and talk bubbles fool you, these are not "comic books".

I personally think that this movie would be freaking awesome.

I really hope they go through with it.

UPDATE:
    Watchmen has a cast.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...010ddce2a351f1

Six conspire in casting of 'Watchmen'
    By Borys Kit

July 26, 2007
    "Watchmen," the long-gestating big-screen adaptation of the seminal DC Comics limited series, has finally found its superheroes.

Patrick Wilson, Jackie Earle Haley, Matthew Goode, Billy Crudup, Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Malin Akerman have been cast in the Warner Bros. movie, which Zack Snyder is directing. Larry Gordon, Lloyd Levin and Deborah Snyder are producing.

Set in an alternate America, "Watchmen" follows costumed hero Rorschach, who is living a vigilante lifestyle because most masked heroes have retired or been outlawed. While investigating a murder, Rorschach learns that a former masked-hero colleague has been killed, prompting him to begin investigating a possible conspiracy.

Haley will play Walter Kovacs, aka Rorschach, who ignores the ban on costumed vigilantes.

Crudup will play Dr. Manhattan, a superpowered being with godlike powers and temperament.

Akerman will play Laurie Juspeczyk/the Silk Spectre, who is involved with Dr. Manhattan -- but that relationship begins to fall apart as he becomes more disconnected from humanity.

Goode will play Adrian Veidt/Ozymandias, a costume adventurer who retired voluntarily, disclosed his identity and built a large fortune. He hatches a plot to avert a global catastrophe he believes will be caused by Dr. Manhattan.

Wilson will play the Nite-Owl, a crime-figher who uses technical wizardry and has an owl-shaped flying vehicle.

Morgan will play the Comedian, a cigar-chomping, gun-toting vigilante-turned-paramilitary agent.

"Watchmen," created by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons, is one of the most critically acclaimed series in the genre. The comic is credited for redefining the superhero genre and often is referred to as the "War and Peace" of comic books. It is a crime-conspiracy story that provided the first realistic look at the behind-the-heroics lives of superhero archetypes. "Watchmen" appeared as the only graphic novel on Time magazine's list of the 100 best novels since 1923.

A feature adaptation was in preproduction at Paramount with director Paul Greengrass at the helm. Casting was under way when the studio pulled the plug in June 2005 and let go of the project.

Tom Cruise, Keanu Reeves and Jude Law were interested in the Snyder incarnation, though they balked when it became clear that the studio was holding the line on the budget.

Shooting is set to start in the fall in Vancouver, with Snyder employing many of the filming techniques he used for his boxoffice success "300."

Legendary is co-financing the picture.

The cast is rumored to make an appearance at Warners' Comic-Con presentation Friday.

Haley, repped by Gersh and Leslie Allan-Rice Management, was nominated for a best supporting Oscar for his performance in "Little Children."

Morgan is best known for his run on "Grey's Anatomy" as Katherine Heigl's love interest. He is repped by WMA.

Crudup's credits include "Almost Famous," "Big Fish" and "The Good Shepherd." He is repped by CAA.

Goode, repped by CAA, gained notice for his appearances in "Match Point" and "The Lookout."

CAA-repped Wilson also appeared in "Little Children" and is shooting Neil LaBute's "Lakeview Terrace" opposite Samuel L. Jackson and Kerry Washington. He next appears in Rodrigo Garcia's "Passengers" opposite Anne Hathaway.

Akerman, repped by Endeavor, appeared in "Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle" and appears in "27 Dresses" with Katherine Heigl.

For photos of the cast, click here:
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33449

Bad news. I can't tell you how much I'd rather see a Paul Greengrass version than a Zack Snyder version. Synder has technical proficiency, but no special intelligence. To do Moore justice, you need a director who understands subtext. Snyder doesn't. Under the surface, 300 was a mess--easily one of my least favorite movies of last year.

I love Watchmen more than almost any other book. I'm not sure any film version could do it justice, but Snyder's going to screw this up big time. I guess in the end I'd rather see the book just left alone.

Though back in the early 90's there was a rumor they'd do a version with Schwarzengger as Dr. Manhattan, so this version isn't the absolute worst thing that could happen.

Usually, I want to give a new director the benefit of the doubt, but I gotta agree with you. Greengrass strikes me as the thinking man's director. Snyder..ah......well, I'm trying not to be TOO judgemental.

I don't want the film made at all, but if they have to make it, Greengrass would have been PERFECT!! You hear me? Perfect!!

For those of you not familiar with these two, go read their resumes and tell me which guy seems to have a better chance at making the film something worthwhile.

I gotta say though, some pretty spot on casting. I'm actualkly, very, very impressed.

Jackie haley!? That is some inspired casting. I was reading an article on him last year about him turning his life around and taking acting more seriously, etc. This could be pretty good. Of course a lot of the film may hinge on him.

Crudup as Manhatten? Nice. I think Crudup is one of the more underated actors in Hollywood. If he rbings the spaciness he showed in Jesus' Son coupled with his unsual intensity he can bring when needed...well, I could live with that casting choice, for sure.

I'm only familiar with Morgan from Supernatural. He LOOKS the part. I think he could bring the proper pathos of showing the glint of humanity under the badass.

I literally just watched Wilson in Hard Candy last weekend. Judging by the movie, solid actor, although I pictured someone different. Hopefully, he'll put on some weight and really play up the pudgy, average guy angle. I'm afraid he may be too good looking to portray the everyman he's supposed to be.

I really don't want them to make this movie and now seeing who's directing it, that little glimmer of hope that they make get it right is the tiniest of sparks now.

Thing is, how in the world can they possibly do the surprise ending? It's been given away already.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Normally, I would argue that I agree with both Gilliam and Greengrass as better choices for directors. I think the real shame here (other than Goode playing Oz) is that David Fincher isn't directing. Now HE would have been perfect.

Another good approach would have been an HBO 12 episode series. Look at the money that went into Deadwood and Rome. The right team could have pulled this off the right way.

But here's the rub: NONE of those guys got it done. NONE of them had enough clout to get the movie green lit in the right way. The studios thought they were making a summer comic book movie, and every time they were wrong. Can you imagine this movie without blood? Without a certain attempted rape? I mean, come on.

So what is the right way? Here are the greatest hits:

- Rated R. NOT NEGOTIABLE.

- Set in 1985.

- Saying f-u to "softening up" Rorschach.

- Placing a premium on actors with range.

- NO STARS.

- Directed by a complete fanboy who takes the task 100% seriously and someone who has a proven knack for successfully adapting works without gutting them.

I have to ask myself honestly: did I enjoy Snyder's other work? Well, I can honestly say that I could watch both Dawn of the Dead and 300 multiple times without getting bored.

Is he a subtle director? No. But here's where I disagree with most others: I don't think Watchmen is a subtle text. Not at all. It's in-your-face story telling, it's blunt in its subject matter, it's sequences are cinematic and dynamic. Just because it's psychological, intelligent and literary doesn't mean that it's SUBTLE. Frankly a director who is subtle could put me to sleep with this movie. This book is in technicolor, its violence is genuine, its characters are stark.

In the end, I think that Syder could be up to the task of making a decent movie based on Watchmen.

Am I holding my breath? I'm not crazy or stupid. It has a major chance of sucking. But Snyder so far has managed every hurdle with grace. i'll give him credit for that.

My question is can Moore be adapted to the big screen rather than who is directing it. It's just a hard story to adapt without having the pressures that come with the studios/mainstream audience.

As far as subtlety goes those films that Snyder did shouldn't have been subtle. Zombies and Frank Miller are pretty much right there. And I wouldn't call the quality that makes Moore hard to adapt subtlety. It's more like thoughtfulness/detailedness and a complete disregard for Hollywood storytelling structures and conventions.

Edit: I hope it doesn't suck. I'd love for it to be entertaining.

You're right. There's a real Moore curse out there. Not one good adaptation yet after several tries.

Then again, there was never a good Tolkien adaptation either. Just like watchmen, most fans considered it untouchable, and impossible to film to boot. At least not until a certain guy came along. Interesting that he had a very short resume, and one of the stand outs from that resume was a zombie movie.

That's a really serious yardstick I'm measuring this adaptation by, but hey, at least I have my standards.
    Last edited by Los Angeles; 07-28-2007 at 12:50 AM.

Yeah, before Jackson I would have said the Lord of the Rings was the hardest to adapt story out there. Now it's Watchmen.

They are different problems though. One was scope, lenght and exposition. This one is adapting a story which goes against American sensiblities plus a certain amount of convolutedness--which might be the word I was trying to think of before.

I think if Snyder is as qualified as any.

Interesting that you mention the "American sensibilities". If you mean storytelling in a linear, hollywood, happy ending kind of way, I can see what you're saying. The good news is this: there is no sequel potential here. This is a one-shot deal and that's it.

I'd rather have a great movie that fans will love than a commercial hit that was dumbed down for mass appeal. Since there's no chance of "franchising" we might actually end up with a good movie. It makes me hopeful at least.

If this film were to have company in the history of film, I want it to sit comfortably along side Fight Club, Requiem for a Dream and Blade Runner. Box office be damned, those were great movies.

Again, high standards. And again, at least I have standards.

Here's the poster shown at Comic-Con.

Some Watchmen character pics are up now...

http://rss.warnerbros.com/watchmen/

The Comedian looks pretty much dead-on. I can't really complain about any one else. I'm wonder how they're going to do Dr. Manhattan.

I gotta say, Zack Snyder seems to be doing a great job. I remember reading an article a week or so ago about how they're doing Black Freighter for the DVD. That made me pretty happy.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

After hearing LA's praise of this... whatever it is, I bought it off Amazon. I'll let you know how it goes. I tend to like comic book style things but don't really read comics cuz I don't want to have another thing I pay for every week. So mini-series and one shot deals seem to be the best bet for me.

FYI, There's a movie being shown on HBO and HBO Demand called Little Children. Not only is it a pretty good movie, but if you have a chance, give it a watch to see Jackie Earle Haley. You can just imagine the creepy factor he has in this film being the basis for Rorschach.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The characters look very good. Yes, as Aw heck said, I love the look of the Comedian. I think Nite Owl looks good too...and I've always liked the way Rorshach looks.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've never read any Watchmen comics, but have heard good things about it. What issues/trades would you guys recommend I pick up to get associated with the characters/story before the movie hits?

Oh, and Wanted looks pretty good, too, though they obviously took some liberties in the adaptation.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I've never read any Watchmen comics, but have heard good things about it. What issues/trades would you guys recommend I pick up to get associated with the characters/story before the movie hits?

Oh, and Wanted looks pretty good, too, though they obviously took some liberties in the adaptation.
    It's only twelve issues and can only be read in sequence, 1 through 12. The complete set is sold as one volume in paperback for something like 20 bucks. most Barnes and Nobles have them. Look for the yellow and black spine, about 1 inch thick.