View Poll Results: How do you feel about Danny Granger.

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • I hope he retires a Pacer.

19 21.35%
  • He's a key piece of the current team. Keep him here.

23 25.84%
  • I like him, but I'd trade him if the right deal came along.

47 52.81%
  • I don't like his game, let's trade him.

0 0%
  • I think he sucks.

0 0%

Thread: PD Referendum - Danny Granger

Default PD Referendum - Danny Granger

Danny's a tough one to make up poll options for.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Default Re: PD Referendum - Danny Granger

Not much to talk about with Danny. He is going to be back and starting at SF. Hopefully his defense improves and he gets it through his head that its easier to make baskets when you are closer to the hoop.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Danny is a good player and all, but I just don't see him being anything special, yet. Until he really starts putting aggression into his game...He is another role player that a lot of us seem to overvalue.

I'd trade him if the right deal were to come along...
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

He's a No. 3-4 option, preferably No. 4 with the lack of aggressiveness he's shown thus far. But I worry TPTB may think he's in the No. 1-2 mold.

He's like the outside of the puzzle -- easy to plug in and be happy with, but when it comes to seeing the picture, he's just part of the background.

Sadly, you can say that for all but one of the Pacers. And that one is probably on his way out the door.

The question now is this: Is Granger part of the puzzle we want to put together?

Sports Logo

I want to keep him to see how he does with Shawne and Marquis.....but I also know that IF we decide to keep JONeal, that he's one of the only few trading assets that we have that we can package with either Tinsley or Foster to get a decent SG or PG.

If the right offer comes along.....assuming that TPTB is able to recognize this ( as opposed to being bent over the table on our last major trade )....then I have no problem moving him.

The real question to all of you....if you had to choose between JONeal or Granger to trade ( assuming that you had a decent offer for both players )...which do you choose to move?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The real question to all of you....if you had to choose between JONeal or Granger to trade ( assuming that you had a decent offer for both players )...which do you choose to move?
    No contest in my mind....Granger would be traded. I don't ever see a team trying to create something around Danny Granger.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    No contest in my mind....Granger would be traded. I don't ever see a team trying to create something around Danny Granger.
    I wouldn't build around Danny either, but I would still trade JO because even when we surrounded him with an amazing amount of talent we couldn't make it to the Finals, though granted we hade a LOT of bad luck in that series against the Pistons and they were VERY lucky to get Rasheed just before the trade deadline for peanuts virtually.

I like JO, always have, but he's not really a franchise player either, so building around him is not such a good idea either IMO. He's the perfect number two option, except that he's paid like a number one option, is IMO injured too much (partially because he's the focus of about every opposing team) and doesn't give us the flexibility we need in our salary structure to resign the current players we might very well want to resign (yes, because we have two new albatross contracts added now, but we won't be able to get rid of them without adding a great talent with them on their way out and I'm not willing to do that).

Danny is a reasonable number three option currently and I think he would be best if we have someone of our current talents (Ike and/or Shawn) could grow into a player with compareable production, translated from their position but with a little more willingness to score.

In this way I can see either Ike or Shawne forming a good second option and Danny as a 3rd option.

Our number one option is who we should either get with a top pick or with a trade for JO.

It's not going to be a quick process though.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

I like Granger but I'd trade him too, especially if we can get a good SG for him.....We have a lot of SF's anyway and Shawn might actually turn out to be better than Danny......I'd love to keep JO and pair him with a big time SG....

Quote Originally Posted by timid View Post
    I like Granger but I'd trade him too, especially if we can get a good SG for him.....We have a lot of SF's anyway and Shawn might actually turn out to be better than Danny......I'd love to keep JO and pair him with a big time SG....
    How do you expect the franchise to pay for such a player when JO, Dun Dun, Murphy and Quis are all still here (lets assume we have traded Jamaal)? Or is it a player on a rookie contract? Or do you expect other teams to take on Murphy or Dun Dun (who I prefer to keep btw) with Granger to give up a great SG?

I don't see the possibilities really. I would like to see them, but I don't see them currently. And I still prefer to keep Danny anyway. I haven't seen nearly enough of Shawne yet to give him the titles some of our fellow fans seem to have given him allready, while hardly beying the focal point of our offens. I like the kid, but I want at the very least another year before I declare him on par or better then Danny.

Regards,

Mourning

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    How do you expect the franchise to pay for such a player when JO, Dun Dun, Murphy and Quis are all still here (lets assume we have traded Jamaal)? Or is it a player on a rookie contract? Or do you expect other teams to take on Murphy or Dun Dun (who I prefer to keep btw) with Granger to give up a great SG?

I don't see the possibilities really. I would like to see them, but I don't see them currently. And I still prefer to keep Danny anyway. I haven't seen nearly enough of Shawne yet to give him the titles some of our fellow fans seem to have given him allready, while hardly beying the focal point of our offens. I like the kid, but I want at the very least another year before I declare him on par or better then Danny.

Regards,

Mourning
    It would be difficult and I don't really expect to get a GREAT SG in return but I'm fine with someone on the level of a Ben Gordon(who I know we won't get). Someone on his level, I'd be fine with. I'm not ready to close the door on JO just yet because he's never had the chance to play with a really good, younger SG. I'm not counting Reggie because he was on the downside of his career and he was mainly a jumpshooter. If we could get a penetrator, I would take a young SG like Brandon Roy or I would even take a chance on a Steve Francis who I do believe still has plenty of game and his contract is bad enough that it should match up with Dunleavy or Murphy, lol.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

We need a starting SG more than we need Danny + Dunleavy at SF (and one of them out of position at SG.)

I like Danny, but now's the time to trade somebody when they've actually got trade value...
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I like his game but I would trade him anyday if we aquire someone we need that will help us win games.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMltKsoDwe8&NR=1
    press pause on the second slow-mo replay around 0:12 mark

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I was sincerely suggesting the trading of Danny many months ago once we saw what Shawne had. Mainly because Danny has high value (youth, promise, low cost) and the team needs solutions to other problems.

I'd MUCH prefer to see Dun gone and the tandem of Shawne/Danny as a dual SF situation (hey, 3-4 SFs play all the time together for the Warriors) however. I hope they can find a better option than moving Danny, but I can see where they might need to move him after backing themselves into a corner on contracts.

So, we get a decent SG for Danny... suddenly we are going to shoot for the Finals next year? Get real.

There is NO quick fix for our team. We shouldn't trade one of our best players who is only going to get better and is still on his rookie contract.

I understand the reasoning for the crowded 3 position part, but how come you are all so sure about Shawne allready? I see a lot of talent, but I also see a very young guy who needs to learn a lot and play a lot of minutes before I declare him better then Danny at SF. Not too mention that he has never really been the focus of opposing defences or have the pressure of beying a starter or a number two option. I want BOTH Shawne and Danny to stay together on our team. IF that means that one or both will have to play very limited time at the 4 position then so be it. IF it means that Dun Dun, whom I like, will have to play mainly at SG then so be it.

How about we admit that it might be time to let JO go instead? So we can actually free up some of that much needed financial room that we are going to need BADLY in the coming years, so that we can actually resign our younger players instead of developing and then seeying them play for other franchises? Not too mention that we get an extra influx of talent by doing that. Sure, we will suck for sometime, but that's going to happen either way.

We can pretend like that is not coming and then get hit by it, while losing a valuable player then who could net us somethings that we desperately need now.

I'd rather the franchise be pro-active and try to atleast determine it's course by itself. Now that it still can. I very much fear that if JO stays our options of what we can do will be extremely limited, while the team would be mediocre at best.

Just my

Regards,

Mourning

What kind of player would Granger net in a trade? I think that's the question. If he can be used in some combo to trade for a legit 2 guard, then trade him. I don't mean an okay player either. I mean someone who comes in and battles JO for top dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Goldfoot View Post
    What kind of player would Granger net in a trade? I think that's the question. If he can be used in some combo to trade for a legit 2 guard, then trade him. I don't mean an okay player either. I mean someone who comes in and battles JO for top dog.
    I think you hit it on the spot there, yes. I'm afraid we would actually trade him, while he's still developing, for a SG that's at Grangers current level now and has much less or no room at all to become much better, just because we want a SG.

I would be appalled if that were to happen.

But, if we get a guy that is already good and has a ceiling that is the same or higher then that of Danny... then ok, why not? Or trade him for a SG that is a star allready, but to make salaries match I think you have to include other pieces. IF he's a star, something which Granger is not yet, but on a rookiecontract then why would that team want to trade that player for Granger?

Lots of questionmarks. But, again, I agree with what you wrote. The summer will be interesting I think. IF only to see where management decides to take the team.

Regards,

Mourning

You'd have to package another player or two but it's possible. Alot of recent "star player" trades have looked a little lopsided lately.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Mourning, I haven't seen a thing from Shawn that tells me he's going to have the strength/ stamina to be a rotation player over 82 games anytime soon.

Regardless, either Danny or Dunleavy needs to go to fix the backcourt and better balance the roster. And with his contract, it won't be Mike.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I was very high on Danny, like most everyone else, when we drafted him. And he's still my favorite Pacer by a wide margin.

But he's just not going to be truly special. I think that's pretty obvious at this point.

He's not Josh Howard. He's not Luol Deng. And he's certainly not LBJ, Matrix or Melo. Nor do I think he'll ever be as good as RJ, Caron Butler, Tayshaun or even Rashad Lewis.

I was hoping we might have a special SF here, but compared to the rest of the league he's just above average. That's fine and still very useful, but I just have lowered my estimations for his ceiling, especially considering all the very, very good SFs populating the League nowadays.

I want to keep Danny as long as possible on the Pacers and I agree with Mourning that it's JO who should be traded for the right deal.

I'm pretty sure Danny hasn't reached his ceiling yet, he has grown every year so far (adding the 3-point shot this year, getting more agressive at the end of this season) that I like to see how he does with some new players. What I heard is that he was a leader on his college team and I think within some years he can become a leader on the Pacers too.

Danny might just be(come) a solid forward and not an allstar but I don't want to see him leave the Pacers anytime soone!
    Maceo Baston's #1 fan on Pacers Digest!

Sports Logo

Here's my about Granger.

I would keep him and live with a SG/SF rotation of Marquis, Granger, Shawne and Dunleavy ONLY if Granger steps up to be the 2nd scoring option that he is meant to be.

That's what we needed all this time....a reliable 2nd scoring option. If Granger can be that guy....then I won't mind keeping him. Otherwise...I don't think that we can afford to keep him ( assuming that we can get a decent player in return for him ).
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.