Thread: Theus says Pacers interested in him as coach

Default Theus says Pacers interested in him as coach

Of all the college coaches rumored to be in line for a job in the NBA, the only one who's actually interviewed for one this spring is New Mexico State's Reggie Theus.

Theus interviewed Tuesday with the Charlotte Bobcats brass, including Michael Jordan and Bernie Bickerstaff. Theus was the face of the Chicago Bulls prior to Jordan, leaving the season before the Bulls drafted Jordan out of North Carolina.

Theus said he has heard that the Indiana Pacers are also interested in possibly talking. The Sacramento Kings may also have some interest, which is not surprising considering that Kings owners Joe and Gavin Maloof have supported his New Mexico State program. Theus has a long history with the Kings, having been traded to the team from Chicago when the franchise was in Kansas City.

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2859994

Banned

Default Re: Theus says Pacers interested in him as coach

REGGIE Theus!
    REGGIE Theus!
    REGGIE Theus!

I generally don't like college coaches, unless they've played in the NBA.

Maybe as an assistant. He's shown he can coach, but Larry was right during the press conference, the last thing we need right now is to gamble on a college guy.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dear God not Reggie Theus. Yikes.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Maybe it's just me, but why do you guys want retreads? I think it would be refreshing to have someone fresh, and new to the scene. Larry Brown's Knicks escapade is proof that going the other way doesn't always work either. The team we have has only been together for 1/2 a season, so we don't exactly know all that we'll be working with next year. I like guys like Theus and Mark Jackson. They're not run of the mill college guys. They played and succeeded in the league. Someone will give them a shot..why not us?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybegood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe it's just me, but why do you guys want retreads? I think it would be refreshing to have someone fresh, and new to the scene. Larry Brown's Knicks escapade is proof that going the other way doesn't always work either. The team we have has only been together for 1/2 a season, so we don't exactly know all that we'll be working with next year. I like guys like Theus and Mark Jackson. They're not run of the mill college guys. They played and succeeded in the league. Someone will give them a shot..why not us?
    Because at the point where we're losing our fan base and a heck of a lot of money (for the Simons), we need to get a coach in here that we know what to expect from, and know the players will respect, and know that he'll hold players accountable. Mark Jackson and Reggie Theus might sound nice, but a rookie coach isn't the best thing for a younger team. Larry Bird was successful because he inherited a veteran team that was hungry to win at all costs. That might not be the same for Jackson, and Theus.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_The_Dude View Post
    Mark Jackson and Reggie Theus might sound nice, but a rookie coach isn't the best thing for a younger team.
    Lest you forget Reggie Theus' first coaching gig for the Deering Tornadoes, where he overcame great social adversity to unite a rag-tag cast of overacheivers. They may not have won a state title, but the life lessons his players learned will last forever.

And that was with his best player being a girl...Imagine what he could do for Tinsley.

So were gonna be runnin nothing but Zone if we hire him lol

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    Lest you forget Reggie Theus first coaching gig for the Deering Tornadoes, where he overcame great social adversity to unite an rag-tag cast of overacheivers. They may not have won a state title, but the life lessons his players learned will last forever.

And that was with his best player being a girl...Imagine what he could do for Tinsley.
    It's enough to make a long time lurker appear! Keep in mind, Deering was in Indiana! And they actually did win the state title in season 3 I think! Bad part, he went back on his promise not to leave and had to be replaced by Dick Butkus.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Indiana Pacers...coming to must-see saturday mornings....

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

From the Ft. Wayne Journal Gazette:

Pacers assistant Davis wants to be new head coach
    CLIFF BRUNT
    Associated Press
    INDIANAPOLIS - Johnny Davis wouldn't mind becoming head coach of the Indiana Pacers but says team officials have not spoken to him about the job.

Former coach Rick Carlisle said shortly after being fired that assistants Davis and Chuck Person were ready to replace him. The Pacers have been quiet about their search, but team president Larry Bird said last month they would consider internal candidates.

Davis, 51, compiled a 73-144 record in head coaching stops in Philadelphia and Orlando before coming to Indiana this season as Carlisle's top assistant. He said he's ready to take the reins if the Pacers want him.

"I'm young enough," he said. "I'd like to do it. A lot of it is fitting into the right situation. I certainly would be interested in being the head coach here."

Despite Carlisle's endorsement, Davis said the Pacers haven't spoken to him about the position. Any team would have to ask permission to speak to him because he's under contract with the Pacers until June 30. Davis wouldn't talk about other openings for the same reason.

Person, who declined an interview request, has no head coaching experience. He's been with the Pacers organization for four years, including the last two as an assistant coach. Person, 42, played his first six NBA seasons with the Pacers and was named NBA rookie of the year in 1986-87.

There are other openings in Memphis, Seattle, Sacramento and Charlotte, and reportedly possible openings in Toronto, Houston and Orlando.

Much of the coaching talk has circulated around Toronto head coach Sam Mitchell. The reigning NBA coach of the year, another former Pacer, likely would be a top candidate for several jobs if Toronto doesn't try to keep him. Toronto president and general manager Bryan Colangelo said Tuesday he's "not discussing our coaching picture publicly." But because Mitchell might have so many options could give coaches like Davis a chance.

The Pacers hired Davis to help coach the up-tempo offense they pledged to run this season. The team averaged 95.6 points per game, 1.7 more than the previous year, despite the departures of Stephen Jackson and Al Harrington at midseason.

Davis said he learned from Carlisle, even though the team finished 35-47, their worst season since 1988-89.

"Rick does a tremendous job of controlling the tempo," he said. "I'm more of an up-tempo coach, but I can certainly see that there are times when you need to control the game."

Davis said he's a better coach than he was at age 40, when he got his first head job with the Philadelphia 76ers. He coached Philadelphia during Allen Iverson's rookie year and went 22-60, then 20-51 before being fired the next year. He went 31-33 with Orlando in 2004-05 before being fired from there.

Davis also has been an assistant with Minnesota, Atlanta, Portland, New Jersey, Orlando and the Los Angeles Clippers.

He said the Indiana opening is as good as any, despite the brawl between Pacers players and Detroit Pistons fans in Nov. 2004 and off-the-court problems for some players that led to the gutting of much of the team's talent pool.

"We're not that far away as a team," he said. "We got right down to the wire in terms of making or missing the playoffs."

Davis was quick to point out that the Pacers have reached the Eastern Conference finals six times since the start of the 1993-94 season. They reached the NBA Finals in 2000, when they lost to the Los Angeles Lakers, and had the league's best record in 2003-04.

"This is a first-class organization," Davis said. "Anyone who gets an opportunity to coach here would do themselves a favor to accept. It is a model franchise.
    =============
    IMPO....no thanks JD, I liked you when you played for the P's but not as a coach. Oh and I can tell my boss that REMAX is interested in me whether they are or not. It's called leveraging your position.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

My faith in Pacers Digest has been forever reinforced by the fact that several users stepped up and did the right thing by turning this into a Hang Time thread.

I can still sing the entire theme song from memory.

If Reggie fails, maybe we can hire Dick Butkus.

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    From the Ft. Wayne Journal Gazette:

Pacers assistant Davis wants to be new head coach
    CLIFF BRUNT
    Associated Press
    I move the Associated Press be disbanded for printing this story.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    The Indiana Pacers...coming to must-see saturday mornings....

Last line: "I hope you all are satisfied. Immature and reckless behavior has hurt this team."

Well he's a shoe in for the Pacers coaching position!

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_The_Dude View Post
    Last line: "I hope you all are satisfied. Immature and reckless behavior has hurt this team."

Well he's a shoe in for the Pacers coaching position!
    What's bad is now I'm dying to see what that ep was about

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    What's bad is now I'm dying to see what that ep was about
    One of the players got hit by a scooter at the after school dance, pulled out his sling shot and fired it into the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac View Post
    One of the players got hit by a scooter at the after school dance, pulled out his sling shot and fired it into the air.
    Nice